| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 113  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Sorry, Audrey. That sucks. Good luck with figuring out the supplementing for Sierra.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

MMT, eight months is awesome! My husband and the LC we saw often reminded me too that "some is better than none" if you're able (we supplemented for a long time).

@Tofulish, I've noticed a big difference now that the bean is getting her top two teeth through. She has two more on the bottom that have been showing forfreakingever with no visible difference despite enough drool to surely fill all of the world's rivers. I'm not sure whether to hope for all the teeth to come on soon, or to space them out. Ow ow ow. The biting and then trying to latch on again = my favorite part :(

DS, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. Is there anyway you can stay in the Navy but just delay shipping out for awhile?

Whew Audrey, that sounds tough to hear. What does your gut tell you about Sierra? Is she following her curve, as they say here (that is, staying in relatively the same percentile). Supplementing is not the end of the world, but it is a very hard decision for nursing moms. Also, from our own tale at least, it may end up only being for awhile and not until she weans.
((hugs)) Oi, I have tears in my eyes remembering that moment my post-partum self heard the health visitors talking about how I wasn't giving my child enough to eat. Whew.

Our big thing to work on here is going to be night feedings. Sleeping is still a disaster (ah, she cries now even as I type...will have to finish later)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:58 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I'm so sorry, Audrey! I know it's easier said than done but try not to be too hard on yourself. It's so wonderful that you arranged to bring
Sierra to work with you so you could breastfeed her. Whatever happens, she's going to be fine physically, and extra awesome from all the bonding time she got to have with you.

refinnej wrote:
What does your gut tell you about Sierra? Is she following her curve, as they say here (that is, staying in relatively the same percentile).

That was my thought, too-- is she just small or is she actually gaining more and more slowly?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ah Audrey... Sorry to hear your bad news. But you know, this is why they do well child checks-- so you can find out if there's a problem before it's serious. Whether you're able to make enough milk with nursing and pumping or whether you have to start supplementing, Sierra's going to be okay either way, and you are awesome for doing everything you've done so far to keep her healthy & fed.

On a separate note... The Magician is finally accepting bottles of pumped milk again! I finally got him to take one from me after eating solid food at dinner (he seems to always want to "wash it down"), then the next night my spouse did the same thing, and every night since then he's just been feeding him one bottle whenever.

My first grad school thing (an orientation) is tomorrow night and then classes start Thursday... I can't tell you how relieved I am that M won't be starving/really fighting the bottle while I'm gone.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:15 pm 

Good luck at school c&s! How exciting! I start next Thursday. I'm actually looking forward to going back to school; giving birth definitely made me even more excited about learning to be a midwife. I don't quite feel ready to leave my little baby, though. I feel like I'm just starting to get into the swing of this mom thing in general, and my nipples are finally becoming less painful. Luckily Scarlett will eat anywhere, anytime, from any source, so I haven't had to worry about her getting bottles while I'm gone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:18 am 
Nooch of Earl

Audrey, sorry to hear that things aren't going well - sometimes it seems like doctors are ready to doom nursing at the first sign of a problem rather than trying to make it work. Do you have a hospital grade pump? If not I would look into renting one right away... And call a good qualified LC for help if you haven't.. they are trained to evaluate things that others might miss (tongue tie comes to mind as an example).

DS, good luck with sorting your orders out and making things work with Lorelei.. We were in Bangor, WA for a few years and it is so beautiful out there.

Vi is sick with a cough and fever my husband brought home, so last night we stayed up and nursed. This morning, after dropping husband off at work, we've been nursing. I'm pretty sure Vi's day will be spent in a repeated cycle of sleeping, crying, and nursing. So..tired...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:29 am 

Oh ick, annak. Hope she is mostly able to sleep it away today.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:38 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

c&s, that is great news that you can start classes without that particular worry. I'm very excited for you!
and annak, what a bummer about the cough/fever and subsequent nurse-a-thon. I hope she feels better soon.

thanks for all the commiseration guys. And refinnej I have to say I totally thought of you and the struggles you guys have had (and how heroic you've been!) I actually do feel like this particular dr is very pro-breastfeeding and to be honest, Sierra is only 2lbs above her birth weight at 13 weeks old so I agree with him that she isn't getting enough. At our last visit (she was around 6 weeks) she'd only gained about a lb and he wasn't worried...I feel like he was giving us time but that now he's a little concerned. And so am I. She was already low on the whole percentile thing but now she's like dropped off it.

But I'm not 100% sure it's a supply problem - I do think Sierra can be a kinda sleepy and maybe even lazy nurser. She likes to hang out at the breast and not necessarily eat, and so I'm trying to pay more attention to that, and give her a nudge occasionally as well as pump right after she feeds. I know pumping after feeds is always recommended but I've been admittedly lazy about that because as it is, just nursing her is so time-consuming. And it seems counter-intuitive to have someone feed her a bottle while I pump for the next one, but right now we're going to top off several of her feeds with a few oz of pumped milk. So while I did go into a store right after the appointment and buy some of the soy formula we used to give Dahlia, my plan for now is to not give it to her yet. However, my boss has been away so I've been very lax about actually going into the office but he'll be back tomorrow so I'll be leaving Sierra home a couple days a week and will definitely have to bust my asparagus pumping to get some milk stored to feed her on those days. Also, the last 2 nights she has been insane about nursing alllll night long and I'd like to see if I can't fill her up more before bedtime - the 3oz we gave her on top of nursing didn't seem to help last night.

I've sent an email to the lactation consultant whose services were part of my doula pkg asking for help so I'm gonna keep guzzling the herbal tea and wait for her response (as well as the tincture I ordered.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:09 am 
Married to the wolfman

So I am using an electric pump for the first time and all I can say is boy that's weird.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 pm 

Audrey, I'm sorry that Sierra is not gaining as well as you would like. In case you don't like your LC for any reason, here is the one that has helped me a lot. She does the Thursday sessions on the link below.

http://www.kidsatworknyc.com/Prenatal.html

For me, pumping (with a hospital grade pump) after nursing worked well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:02 pm 
And you never will.

poopiebaby just told me to take my shirt off. So, it has come to this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:12 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yesterday I pumped in a bathroom stall. Like sitting on a toilet. This is my new breastfeeding low point.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:52 pm 
Semen Strong

I read your post in the worst things thread, C&S, and I just want to hug you and buy you a cup of tea.

I hope things get better soon <3 <3 <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:28 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

sorry c&s, that is some bullshiitake. I send you e-hugs too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

coldandsleepy wrote:
Yesterday I pumped in a bathroom stall. Like sitting on a toilet. This is my new breastfeeding low point.

So sorry - that is a nightmare. Speaking to your worst things post, I might start with HR even though you're not an employee. The University is obligated to provide space, other than bathrooms, for employees to pump, so HR should hopefully be able to point you in the right direction.

I have never nursed a toddler before but think I just got a glimpse of my future. C was sitting beside me when he turned, pulled at my shirt and grabbed my boob to latch on. He's all grown up. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm sorry c&s. That isn't fair at all.

My sister had a baby today and she chose not to bf at all. The nurse said "breast or formula?" and that was it. I was really sad that no one there even tried to encourage breastfeeding.

(I talked my head off for months and it didn't work, though. "It's just so weird. And looks so much harder.")

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:22 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Sofrito-- checking with HR sounds like a really good idea. I also found a women's resource center on campus so I'm going to email them too. Thank you all for the thoughts.

The good news is, I've acclimated to the electric pump, the Magician ate his bottles while I was gone no problem, and my estimate of how much he'd eat (16 oz over 10 hours) was spot on. Even if I just pump once in the morning (my usual schedule when I was donating) and don't ever get a useful amount from pumping on campus, I will still be able to make him that much for 2 days a week.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:23 am 

That sucks c&s! Definitely check with the women's resource center. State laws vary but if Connecticut requires that schools make a non-bathroom pumping space available for students, then I'm sure California does! My school actually has a "breastfeeding room" that I'm going to be spending a lot of time pumping in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

C&S - It's not the same situation as bapbap was in exactly, but I think she had good luck talking to the Title IX rep about pregnancy/postpartum university issues... Good luck! Is there a university mothers' group or could you start one?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:51 pm 

Women's Resource Center sounds like a place that might be able to help. Bathroom pumping = icky. Glad that M took the bottles okay though! One less worry.

I'm thinking about starting a class next January, assuming this child gets a little more sorted out by then. Right now, with like 3 1/2 hours of sleep a night and separation anxiety up the wazoo, this seems like a bit of a pipe dream, but we shall see. Heh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:52 am 

Well I am joining the ranks of the pumping ladies now that I have to go back to work. It was so nice having two months off from working but that is over (and I already can't sleep).

Does anyone have experience with cutting back the pumping at work because older baby is eating more solids? I'm wondering how and when I will get to the point of just feeding before bed, etc, that older babies do. I guess I'm doing a bad job of asking when do they stop nursing all the time?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Lorelei is a year old and I have had to cut down pumping at work to 2 sessions mostly because I'm not producing as much anymore so I don't like sitting down for a pumping session every 3 hours like I used to, and only getting 1.5-2 oz out of both breasts. If you don't want to reduce your supply though, pump as often as your baby normally breastfeeds, just like always.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:46 am 
Semen Strong

Exciting Butternut! I hope the transition back to work is smooth for you and that you had a great vacation!

She's only a bit older than Bebenut, but Leela still nurses all the time - she'll eat a meal and then BF and nap and then BFs to sleep as at night as well.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:20 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Butternut, I'm in the same boat. School starts tomorrow and I'm in total denial! Will has not cut back, but I'm anticipating it will happen sometime during the school year. The LC told me to pump shorter sessions, not necessarily less often and to do it gradually. Also, another lady in my LLL still nurses her 1+ year old without pumping at work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:43 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I have a 3 hour block (well, 4, because right after I have to get on the bus) where I can't pump and holy forking ow batman. I just used about two minutes of the ten minute class break to squeeze boob juice out with my hand into a toilet because it was that or let the damn thing pop.

No progress yet on pumping location for the rest of the time I'm on campus... But did find a more acceptable bathroom (single one with a lock on the door). I pumped 6 oz during my 2 hr break before this class and could have done more but I didn't bring enough bottles. Maybe if I empty all the way out right before my long class, I won't be so engorged by the end.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 113  Next