| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:46 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I don't know anything about meds, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have lots of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'd be careful about cold meds that contain decongestants like Sudafed if you've ever had a supply problem. I'd probably use Afrin nasal spray to clear my nose out and take some Tylenol for any achiness.

Hope you feel better soon, and Happy Birthday!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:53 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

I accidentally took an antihistamine in December and TBH I noticed no difference in supply.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I feel like an idiot asking this, but do people wear nursing bras under nursing tanks? I tried a couple tanks on at Target and they didn't seem supportive enough to wear on their own. But having double flaps to undo seems really cumbersome. I like the idea of layering with a tank so I can A) wear my regular shirts and B) pull my shirt up without exposing my skin (it's cold!). But I just can't figure it out. And I did try the belly band trick, but it didn't work for me. I've been wearing the same two crappy Old Navy nursing tops over and over and it's getting old.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I just wear a nursing bra under a regular shirt and pull up the bottom. The first few weeks I wore a nursing bra under a zip-up hoodie with no shirt underneath for easy (and frequent) access.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

poopiebitch wrote:
What do you guys think about taking cold meds while nursing? I typically avoid the stuff and just let my body do its thing, but today is my birthday and tomorrow is my party, and I really don't want to feel like ten shades of shiitake on my birthday.

I took a tylenol cold product once while nursing, as a last resort so I could handle a school event for Shae. MY ob/gyn only recommends using tylenol products because they are thoroughly tested. (I didn't notice any different in Silas, so I assume it didn't bother him)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:25 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Pinko, they make a product called Modest Middles that sounds like what you are looking for. Its like a tank top with the boobs cut out so that your nursing bra is the only thing covering you in that area. It won't slide around like the belly band would because it has straps like a tank top and wouldn't require and extra bra layer. http://www.modestmiddles.com/Wearing_Mo ... ddles.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Pungalina wrote:
Pinko, they make a product called Modest Middles that sounds like what you are looking for. Its like a tank top with the boobs cut out so that your nursing bra is the only thing covering you in that area. It won't slide around like the belly band would because it has straps like a tank top and wouldn't require and extra bra layer. http://www.modestmiddles.com/Wearing_Mo ... ddles.html

Ooh! Those do look like what I want. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Pinko wrote:
I feel like an idiot asking this, but do people wear nursing bras under nursing tanks? I tried a couple tanks on at Target and they didn't seem supportive enough to wear on their own. But having double flaps to undo seems really cumbersome. I like the idea of layering with a tank so I can A) wear my regular shirts and B) pull my shirt up without exposing my skin (it's cold!). But I just can't figure it out. And I did try the belly band trick, but it didn't work for me. I've been wearing the same two crappy Old Navy nursing tops over and over and it's getting old.

Majamas nursing tanks are really supportive and most of the tanks don't have fasteners, you just slip the shoulder strap down and there is another shoulder-strap underneath -- attached to the built-in bra that has a hole for your boob (well, not your whole boob, about the size of a 50p coin or so). I got mine new on ebay (they are a little pricey otherwise). They also do nursing bras that don't unfasten -- they cross-over in the front and you can just pop a boob out.

Also, maaaaybe (I don't know how big your boobs are) you could find a regular/thinner non-wired bra or shelf-bra that you could wear with a Target nursing tank and just pop a boob out of that so you only have to do one un-clipping.

(I've had terrible luck with nursing bras and have spent a lot of time inventing alternate options for myself.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:34 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

So. Fork and alas...

I live with my folks and we have this freezer that resides in the garage, wherein I store my expressed breastmilk. I had about four or so pounds of it and was feeling pretty good supply-wise, when WHAM! Someone left the door open and everything thawed out. I was pretty peased off about having to throw it away.

Big sad face.

BTW: Happy belated bday, Poopie.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:38 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

How awful! You must be feeling frustrated. Whoever left the door of the freezer open owes you a chocolate cake.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Eat_More_Garlic wrote:
I live with my folks and we have this freezer that resides in the garage, wherein I store my expressed breastmilk. I had about four or so pounds of it and was feeling pretty good supply-wise, when WHAM! Someone left the door open and everything thawed out. I was pretty peased off about having to throw it away.

OMFGBBQ!! That is terrible!!! How long was the door open? I would be, like, everybody is going to drink this and not waste one drop! ;p

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:28 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Eat_More_Garlic wrote:

OMFGBBQ!! That is terrible!!! How long was the door open? I would be, like, everybody is going to drink this and not waste one drop! ;p

Haha! Use it to make ice cream.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mittenmacher wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Eat_More_Garlic wrote:

Haha! Use it to make ice cream.

CHEESE!

it's been done, apparently

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:22 am 
Married to the wolfman

Eat_More_Garlic wrote:
So. Fork and alas...

Big sad face.

BTW: Happy belated bday, Poopie.

Oh jeez, I think this just broke my heart. Once I spilled like an ounce of breastmilk and cried about it for an hour, so... yeah. I'm so sorry.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:59 am 

Eat More Garlic- i am crying for you!

Poopie- happy belated birthday, i am hoping you felt better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:13 am 

So terrible. Condolences, Eat_More_Garlic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

FYI:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/11/busin ... ast&st=cse

Quote:
Ending a long-running dispute with pediatricians and breast-feeding advocates, the Internal Revenue Service announced Thursday that it would grant nursing mothers a tax break on pumps and other breastfeeding supplies.

The ruling, which will affect expenses incurred starting in 2010, will allow mothers to use pretax money from their flexible spending accounts to cover the cost of breast pumps and other supplies. Those without flexible spending accounts may deduct breast-feeding costs if their total unreimbursed medical expenses exceed 7.5 percent of their adjusted gross income and they itemize.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:20 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have a clogged duct. It is the worst pain in the world. God I hate breastfeeding.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm sorry Sneakers! They say to massage the duct and put heat on it, I think? I had a clogged duct when Walter was a few days old, but it didn't hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I hope you never get one that does! So awful. And there's more than one lump (one is right under the nipple!) so flow is super reduced and then Dash is getting all mad and punching / grabbing / pulling off that boob, as if it wasn't bad enough already.
I've got the heat thing going, but there's no way I can massage without bawling like a baby (ha?).
Ah, the price I pay for going out for an afternoon with a friend. I think this has stemmed from missing two feedings the other day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:40 pm 
Inflexitarian

Sneakers, keep doing heat compresses and trying to massage, and nurse as much as you can on that side! I had one when Felix was little, and it really did hurt, but it did get better.

So sorry about the thawed milk, Eat_More_Garlic! How awful.

I am going to make myself some of those belly covering tank top dealybobs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sneakers- Yes, Nurse as much as you can! Hurts like a bisque to nurse I'm sure, but it's the most relieving thing in the world when it unclogs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:07 pm 
Married to the wolfman

sneakers wrote:
I have a clogged duct. It is the worst pain in the world.

Word to that. I have had probably a dozen of them, and they are horrible. One of the things that's helped with some of them has been turning our showerhead to superforceful and pointing it right at the part with the clogged duct. If you have a massage head or something, you should try it! I've also heard that just running hot water on the boob and then nursing will help... supposedly loosens up the clog or something.

It makes me really forking frustrated that almost all the information we have on breastfeeding is word of mouth. I want some sort of scientifically backed cure for the things like clogged ducts, like something that someone has proven has worked, and all the information out there is just like "well, my grandma told me that if you hang by your toes in the light of the full moon, you'll never get mastitis!"

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 pm 

i hope my advice it too late, but if that clog is still there, i would use a sock, filled with rice, warmed in the microwave to prep the lumps for nursing. And i had a recurring lump at one point and someone recommended i put my son in the bed, face up and get on all fours over him, with his chin pointing toward the lump and lower myself over him and let him nurse that way. It worked! i had a bleb too at the time and the two kept coming back in between feedings, doing this about three times cleared it up for good. I'm sure it looked like i was sexually abusing my infant, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 115  Next