| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebird wrote:
did i mention before that tzipi is super interested in my boobs again? she's been weaned for a year and in the last month or so has been trying to practically huff them, like they are some sort of milky drug, or tug down my shirt and get a look-see. i guess they're really gearing up for the baby, huh?

Super cute!
Beetroot pretty much weaned when he turned 4, but asked for 'boobie milk' this morning. I whipped out a boob to see what he would do, he stuck it in his mouth for a moment and then was done. It was kind of hilarious and cute at the same time. (I'm really glad he weaned -- nursing in tandem isn't so bad, but it gets a bit exhausting after 2 years, even though he wasn't nursing much for the last 6 months.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:03 am 
Naked Under Apron

so, what would you do if you were a forgetful person like me and forgot to bring a bottle to work for pumped milk? I mean, I work across the street from BabiesRUs but this would make the third time I've had to blow around $10 on bottles that we don't need. My other option is to use an emptied out plastic water bottle. It's just for a few hours til I get home, that should be fine right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:06 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Maybe get a set of milk bags from babies r us and leave them at work, that way if it happens again you have something just in case?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:09 am 
Naked Under Apron

sigh, yeah you're probably right. But I have milk bags at home! I guess I'll have to pay the "absentminded mama tax" again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Audrey wrote:
sigh, yeah you're probably right. But I have milk bags at home! I guess I'll have to pay the "absentminded mama tax" again.

Haha, I've had to pay that tax before too. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:05 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I had to buy a box of milk bags to put in my school bag. Then I put a full bag of milk inside the bag that the bags were in inside my bag. Naturally, it leaked all over the other bags which are all sticky and nasty now. Sigh.

The Magician, who has never nursed much in his sleep, now suddenly just wants to hold my nipple gently with his teeth while he sleeps. I'm not into it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:28 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm gonna buy some kind of a bottle because with a doubt something in my messenger bag will puncture a full milk bag - it's just the way my life works!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Is your pump medela? I found "first essentials", BPA-free bottles at Target that fit. They were 3/$5 or something and I use the yellow medela caps with them. Cheap and no leaks, I keep them in my pump bag.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Audrey wrote:

I ended up leaving my pumped milk at work in the fridge today because I forgot the damn lids! It's always the lids for me. Yes, I try to keep extras, but then I use the extras, and here I am. Thank god for the stash.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:59 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

So we went out and spent almost $40 to buy two bottles that the LC recommended and this baby just screams at them. And when he accidentally sucked a little milk into his mouth he choked and gagged and made a generally big fuss about that too. Come on man! I am trying to save our breastfeeding relationship here! I am what could be called exasperated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Sounds frustrating annasrobbie. Are you the one giving the bottle? I've heard that sometimes it works better if mama leaves the house and then daddy gives the bottle. Babies are smart!

Leela wouldn't take a bottle if I was in the house. But she sucked them dry when it was just Brett. And even if she'd eat a bit and be done, when I got home, she was all like BOOBS! Except with excited pawing not words.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:33 pm 

Our problem is baby likes bottles way too much and has been refusing the breast. So LC recommended the Medela Calma bottles where the baby has to really suck to get the milk out and there has been LOTS of angry screaming in our house tonight while my husband tries to feed him. He has hardly eaten at all this evening because he won't take the breast and won't take that bottle :( I hope he gets used to it soon and then sees that maybe boobies are so bad!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:49 pm 

annasrobbie wrote:
Our problem is baby likes bottles way too much and has been refusing the breast. So LC recommended the Medela Calma bottles where the baby has to really suck to get the milk out and there has been LOTS of angry screaming in our house tonight while my husband tries to feed him. He has hardly eaten at all this evening because he won't take the breast and won't take that bottle :( I hope he gets used to it soon and then sees that maybe boobies are so bad!

I'm sorry you are having this struggle. It must be very frustrating. I hope he figures it out soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:19 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

annasrobbie wrote:

We had the same bottles and it took my daughter about three days to figure it out (We tried once per day). We started with these, so she wasn't used to different bottles but it still was something she had to learn. I hope your baby figures it out soon, too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tofulish wrote:
Mom, these are broken.

Tofulish, I have to know... did you notice how funny this was later when looking at the pictures, or were you like, this is hilarious we better take a picture of it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm debating dropping a work day pump. Charlie is 8 months and has been pretty consistently only taking two 4 oz bottles at day care (down from 3). He nurses a lot at night and weekends, but I'm now freezing about 10-12 oz a day. Any experience with this? I think I'm paranoid about my supply, but I really only need to be pumping as often as he's eating, right? (And when he eats, he takes 4 oz, but I pump more than that so I'm still more than keeping up with his needs if I only pump as often as he eats). I currently pump every 3 hours, which is 3x per day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:51 pm 
Semen Strong

I noticed it later! And my husband didn't get it until I pointed it out. I was cracking up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

sofrito wrote:
I'm debating dropping a work day pump. Charlie is 8 months and has been pretty consistently only taking two 4 oz bottles at day care (down from 3). He nurses a lot at night and weekends, but I'm now freezing about 10-12 oz a day. Any experience with this? I think I'm paranoid about my supply, but I really only need to be pumping as often as he's eating, right? (And when he eats, he takes 4 oz, but I pump more than that so I'm still more than keeping up with his needs if I only pump as often as he eats). I currently pump every 3 hours, which is 3x per day.

I have no answer, but I'm in the same position. I upped Will's bottles to 6 oz, so he was getting more of what I pumped. I'll be interested to see what others suggest.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

kdub wrote:
sofrito wrote:

I have no answer, but I'm in the same position. I upped Will's bottles to 6 oz, so he was getting more of what I pumped. I'll be interested to see what others suggest.

I'm also in a similar situation! I used to pack four 5oz bottles for Henry, but lately he's only been having one or two, in between snacks and his little baby lunch, so I bumped them up to 5.5 or 6oz depending on how much milk was in the fridge.. I was only pumping twice a day, once first thing in the morning, and once during the work day with a totally fine supply. But lately my supply's been wonky and he's been nursing at night, which he hasn't done in months, so I'm not sure if I need to switch things up.

So I was wondering if anyone has ever had breast surgery while breast feeding? I have surgery scheduled next week to remove a lump I noticed about 16 months ago. The surgeon informed me the only possible side effect may be milk leaking from the incision and causing an infection, which seems weird and gross. But I also feel like it could totally fork up the supply in that side. Also nursing will probably be a no go on that side for a while based on how grabby and pinchy the little guy is. But I definitely want this thing out sooner rather than later!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Great idea to up the bottle amount! I had a fleeting thought about doing that but then promptly forgot, so I'm trying tomorrow. He still eats at least 3 times at night, though, so I'm sure he's getting plenty.

Butternut, no surgery while breastfeeding. I'd guess that there are enough ducts that won't be touched by surgery that hopefully your supply won't be impacted too terribly. (I had a breast reduction in 2005, and there were enough ducts not damaged, etc., that I have more than a full supply despite much more extensive surgery than removing a lump.) Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:11 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey is teething. I just need to make it through today. I swear my chest is a battlefield from the biting, scratching and pinching. When things are good, they are so good, when they are bad, they are so bad.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:05 pm 

I will tell on myself. I was making some " oatmeal lactation cookies" tonight and after putting the first batch in the oven the hubs asks "so what is in those cookies?" and it is then I realize that I forgot to add the MAIN ingredient the rolled oats. Lets try this again shall we.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ha, good luck next time annasrobbie! I've been forgetting to put in key ingredients since Scarlett was born, too.

I am freaking out about losing power from this approaching hurricane and losing my frozen breast milk stash. We're ready with a cooler and lots of ice packs, but our apartment is such a shiitake hole and we could easily be without power for days. I will do anything it takes to keep my milk from thawing!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:56 pm 

mooo wrote:
Ha, good luck next time annasrobbie! I've been forgetting to put in key ingredients since Scarlett was born, too.

I am freaking out about losing power from this approaching hurricane and losing my frozen breast milk stash. We're ready with a cooler and lots of ice packs, but our apartment is such a shiitake hole and we could easily be without power for days. I will do anything it takes to keep my milk from thawing!

Oh shiitake. Now you've got me worried about this. I know it's unlikely, but man that would suck. I guess I'm going to buy a bag of ice tomorrow morning just in case. It would buy a little more time if something happened, but if my stash goes bad I will be a mess. I might never get over it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:06 pm 
Semen Strong

FYI, tips on preserving frozen breastmilk.
http://milksharing.blogspot.com/2012/10 ... k.html?m=1

And info about what to do if power fails
https://www.facebook.com/notes/breastfe ... 2880918323

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 116  Next