| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:13 pm 
Naked Under Apron

nah, it doesn't seem to matter. To be honest we haven't even given her solids regularly at all. Sometimes we give her some veg at night while we're eating dinner, but that's always after a whole day of bottles + nursing as soon as I get home from work. But yesterday after she refused the bottle for a while H fed her some purees just to entertain her mostly.
I was, however, able to feed her some pumped milk out of a sippy cup last night. Can't believe I didn't think of that sooner because we've offered her a bit of water here and there with food and she seems to like the sippy cup. I wonder if it's easier on her teething pain maybe. In any case, she nursed like a fiend all night so I guess she's not gonna starve or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:01 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Is there an 8wk growth spurt? It seems like we JUST had one 2wks ago... My baby is on the boob ALL THE TIME. Like he literally nurses every hour between 6am and 8pm, for like 20-30mins at a time. I am one tired mama. I thought by now he'd have stretched out his feeds. And for the past 2 days, he just seems ravenous. Like he can't stop eating enough... but the thing is, his poop is starting to look more muccusy/darker.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:37 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Do you have a high milk supply? Constant nursing but still seeming hungry, along with greenish poop (not sure if that's what you're having), could mean that he's getting mostly foremilk, which isn't satisfying his hunger because it's so low in fat. I went through that for a while with Scarlett. She only stopped nursing so frequently once I got my milk supply under control.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:46 am 
Nooch of Earl

From what I remember of Violet's first weeks, that just sounds like being a newborn to me. She didn't slow down with the nursing until 3 or 4 months.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

His poop is still VERY yellow (more like pumpkin orange). But its stringy/muccusy. And he's very gassy (both ends)... and he stopped gaining fast 2-3wks ago. He is still gaining, but very slowly. We went from 85th to 60th percentile.

He's almost 9wks old btw.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:48 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Do you have access to an IBCLC? Or a lactation clinic where you can do pre- and post-feed weighings?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:57 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, if you're worried definitely call an IBCLC, they are so good for reassuring you or helping you figure out when something is wrong. It is sad that pediatricians aren't much help with BFing issues - it would be so helpful if they were

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:37 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I still don't have a pedi/family doc anyway...

Can reflux give muccusy poo?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:25 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Is there a Lll helpline? I called the UK one before and they were very helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah. I will check that out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:14 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a2 ... ucus_stool

Found my answer. Now I really need to get his reflux checked.

I NEED A DOCTOR! This sucks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Anyone have experience with elimination diets and breastfeeding? tiny wu has a lot of trouble with reflux and spitting up and I have been trying eliminating soy and wheat since they're the most common problems after dairy (obviously not an issue). After 8 days I haven't seen any improvement and am wondering how long to stick with it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am thinking of doing that also, but soy is in EVERYTHING!

But if its actual GERD, it wont help unless medicated. And it can get very bad to the point of long term damage in there. I'd get it checked out if I were you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yes, we have been to the family doctor about it and at first he was very concerned--given how violent and frequent the spitting up is--that it was pyloris stenosis. We were sent to the hospital to have tiny wu checked out, but when her pylorus turned out to be OK, everyone seemed to lose interest and just said "oh yeah, some babies spit up a lot." It's been really frustrating--both our family dr and the hospital drs said they feel reflux is over-diagnosed and zantac is over-prescribed, so they don't want to go that route.

I just want her to feel better.

We just had a pretty wretched day where basically everything she ate came up again, so tomorrow I'm calling the home health visitor advice line in hopes they'll take things more seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:11 pm 

We had luck with an elimination diet, but it was designed for painful (like screaming and sobbing in pain) gas. Citrus and onions (and possibly garlic) were the bad foods for the bean. Even now, at 13 months, if I drink much orange juice, she has gas (and a nappy rash to boot). I did a sort of modified version of this: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feedin ... ation-diet. We had a dramatic change in just two days.

That said, if it is reflux, I too have heard that the foods you eat aren't likely to help/harm baby too much. There are a couple of others here who have had babies with bad reflux though, so I'll let them offer better advice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Butternut wrote:
I've decided not to pump when I come back to work from winter vacation in January. I'm worried that once I stop pumping at work that my supply will completely crash and that we will have to stop nursing, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. She will be 13 months, so will have I met my goal of nursing for a year.

I'm not ready to quit nursing, but I'm so DONE pumping at work. I can't wait to wear clothes that don't require easy access to the boob. Oh, and on that note, I am so ready to wear a regular bra again! I hate how frumpy I look in my nursing bra.

A friend of mine who's daughter is 18 months quit pumping when her daughter was 18 months, she still nurses her morning and night just not during the day. Her daughter gets cow milk at daycare and during the day on the weekends. So, it is still possible to nurse!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:41 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey had his horrifying reflux. He was on Zantac and I cut out dairy and chocolate, it helped a little but honestly, it ain't until he started sitting up that his reflux got better :(

My suggestion would be to keep the baby as upright as possible, wear her all the time so she is upright.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:12 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Just a little breastmilk funny: I was pumping at my parent's house over christmas and had only brought a few bottles so I was dumping out the excess when my sister found me and asked me if she could have the milk for her 1 year old (she has never been able to pump). She put it in a sippy and gave it to her baby who didn't know what to make of it - she would put some in her mouth and then spit it back out but then go back for more. She eventually decided she liked it and was carrying her sippy around. About an hour later I saw my sister's 4 year old drinking from the sippy like it wasn't anything unusual so I thought the milk was gone and replaced with something else. A few minutes later my sisters 2 year old wanders in with the sippy smacking her lips and saying "MMMMMmmmm..." I looked inside and sure enough there was just a tiny bit of breastmilk left. So all 3 of my sister's kids have had my breastmilk - funny/weird thought.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:31 pm 
Semen Strong

littlebear wrote:
My suggestion would be to keep the baby as upright as possible, wear her all the time so she is upright.

That is great advice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jesus, sometimes I come back and read my posts after I write them and realize all the insane autocorrects. It's really embarrassing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:19 pm 

Hey! I donated milk to someone tonight. I'm so happy I actually cried after she left. We had a pretty large stash in the freezer and had two failed attempts to donate...people just flaking out, it seems. I really was struggling with what I was going to do with the milk. Freya's used maybe 2 bags of it since like September. Some of the milk was starting to get older and I was afraid it was going to go bad. The HM4HB UK page hooked me up with a lady about an hour away from me, with twins who's struggling to keep her supply up. One of the coolest parts was that her mom actually came to collect the milk because she was driving nearly right by our house today on her way to visit the family. Her mom is really supportive of her efforts to keep feeding the babies breastmilk. We're going to try and arrange for me to donate some more, but it means that I have to get back in the habit of pumping. I used to feed F on one side before she went to bed and night and then pump the other (back when I was building the stash), so I'm hoping to be able to do that again. It wouldn't be a lot, but a bottle a day probably.

Yay! I feel like we've come full circle now. Whew.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:47 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

It does feel great to donate doesn't it? I donate to a local mother with twins that I met through HM4HB also (heard about that organization here so thank you!) I currently have 300 oz in my freezer that is awaiting pick-up - all since thanksgiving - it gives me a warm glow to think about it :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:56 pm 
And you never will.

You guys are super heroes. For real.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My son may... have... weaned? its been 4 days since he nursed last, and we might finally be done? He is 3 and a half now, and although i set some boundaries, i never got up the gumption to fight the long hard fight and wean him (we tried night weaning at one point and after several months gave up). I think we actually did it himself! Even in October, if you had asked me i would have wondered if this was going to happen.

also, he hasn't been nursing daily for several months, but my boobs are hurting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:13 am 
And you never will.

Whoa! Congratulations jildez!! I am so impressed that you made it to self-weaning (at 3 1/2!!) - you are a super-star! You are so inspirational to me, poopiebaby is 2 1/2 and I really hope I can make it to self-weaning too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 116  Next