| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 111  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:13 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Okay, the awesomest thing ever happened to me. I finally found the lactation room on campus! It is hidden inside of the very small, very easy to miss combined Women's Resource Center and LGBTQ Center. The center is really nice, everyone was really welcoming, and the lactation room is forking sweet. Electrical outlet, comfy chair, and an entire reading library about pretty much every topic that applies to anyone who isn't a straight white cisgendered male. I pumped 10 oz in like 5 minutes. That is how you can tell my body was happy to be there too.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:41 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ariann wrote:
Do you think it would help to not control your emotions about it? The only way we got Malka to stop biting us was to shout in pain and then put her down away from us. That really upset her and she seemed to get that what she had done was just not gonna fly. (We picked her up within 20 seconds and soothed her, but we let her be upset about our being upset.)

This is what I think I'm doing, but maybe I'm doing it wrong. I definitely sound angry, I can't really control it even though I try. After shrieking I immediately set him down and cover up, say "Biting hurts. If you bite, no nursing" and either turn around in bed or walk away for 30 seconds or so. It always results in a total meltdown but I'm not seeing him recognize cause and effect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm not trying to wean my 13 month old, but if she bites, I react and put her away from me for at least 30 seconds. I think it takes time. It sounds like you are reacting in a productive way, so I would keep doing that.

My situation is a little different because I do work full time and she has bottles while I'm away. I quit pumping when she turned one and my partner offers her soy milk while I'm at work. She prefers breast milk or food, and when I get home she LOVES to nurse.

Anyway, I would recommend offering him food more regularly. We had weight gain issues so I didn't feel like I could skip solids, but even without the weight gain issues, I think regular meals and snacks would have made our nursing relationship more bearable. She was ON me all the time, and it caused me stress. Now she has other outlets, and we are both much happier.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

coldandsleepy wrote:
Okay, the awesomest thing ever happened to me. I finally found the lactation room on campus! It is hidden inside of the very small, very easy to miss combined Women's Resource Center and LGBTQ Center. The center is really nice, everyone was really welcoming, and the lactation room is forking sweet. Electrical outlet, comfy chair, and an entire reading library about pretty much every topic that applies to anyone who isn't a straight white cisgendered male. I pumped 10 oz in like 5 minutes. That is how you can tell my body was happy to be there too.

That's awesome! I'm so impressed by ladies who pump. So cool that you've found a good place to pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:57 am 
Naked Under Apron

coldandsleepy wrote:

10oz in 5 minutes?!!! I bow down to your magical boobie powers! All hail C&S's supply!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:00 am 
So Totally Yiffy

annak wrote:
*sigh* I am really starting to feel like it would be nice to, well, maybe not fully wean V, but to cut down on nursing. Most of the things I'm reading suggest phasing out a session or two but here's the thing: V isn't on any kind of schedule and we don't have N incidences of nursing every day--it's more like a continuous thing sometimes! Pretty much if I'm sitting down she'll come and be trying to help herself, and if I say no I get scratched and clawed at. I just don't even know where to begin. I've tried to get her to take more solids, and she is/does, but she doesn't drink any kind of substantial amount of soy or other milk, so it's not like she's using that as a substitute.

Anyway I know part of it is just that I'm having a bad day, but I would just like my body to myself for more of the day. If we're out and about she can easily go many hours without needing to nurse as long as she has a steady stream of solid food, but if we're home/in any kind of inactivity she'll pounce.

How old is she? A friend of mine had the same problem with her daughter and she cut down on nursing during daytime by offering other drinks and also by distracting her with toys and stuff. She also explained to her daughter that she could only nurse in the morning and before naps. It took a while but it definitely worked, but she was already 2 years old at the time.

My 15 month old daughter doesn't nurse that much during daytime, only before her nap and before she goes to bed at night. But at night it's the same as with V., and it's making me think about weaning a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

C&S - I am so excited you found the pumping room and so annoyed it took so long! Why couldn't anyone direct you there sooner??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

c&s, that sounds amazing! Glad that things are getting a bit easier.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:51 am 
Inflexitarian

Awesome to find the lactation room C&S. Also, I am just in awe of your ability to pump 10 ounces at a random time in the day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos was playing with his socks yesterday before bed. He dropped one behind the changing table and the other he still had in his little hand. While nursing, he kept insisting on putting his sock in my face, on my nose, pressed up against my nostrils. Lucikly it wasn't stinky, but it still kept grossing me out anyway. I didn't want to rip it out of his little hand for fear of screaming. When we switched sides he forgot about it. Thank goodness!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:48 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

haha aww! toddler nursing, so fun! I remember with Sam, he'd try to do these crazy gym moves while ON the boob

LOL!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 am 
Married to the wolfman

Kimba, M loves to pick things up when he's nursing and whack me in the face with them. He's a really mellow nurser other than that (he still just lays across my lap) but the face thing is unpleasant at times!

I have so much admiration for those of you who pumped at work/school for a long time. I have a nice place to pump now, and I can do it at any point when I'm not in class and be leisurely about it (no boss telling me my break is over), and I still felt so burnt out about it yesterday. All the bottles and the attachments and carrying the damn pump around with me and all the extra dishes and...

Breastfeeding from the boob just seems so delightfully uncomplicated to me by comparison.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:57 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

10oz in five minutes, amazing!

We are in Michigan and grey has been wanting to nurse more. I'm doing the night duty which leads to more nursing since Nate does it at home. Oh well. I am pretty ready to wean now. My nipples are sore and I am tired. I offer him other milk first and in the morning when he gets up he doesn't get BOOBIE anymore since he is nursing so much at night. I know one day I will miss all this, but I want my boobs back. Also, we had been down to only nursing maybe 3 times in 24 hours and I got my period back and I was starting to lose weight and I wasn't eating as much sweets, well, that has all stalled again and I was a candy machine yesterday. Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

this maybe belongs in the "dumb questions" thread because here I am, 9months into breastfeeding and I don't know the answer: how long after you eat something is it present in your milk? I've seriously never understood how that works.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Doesn't it depend on what it is? I know with alcohol it apparently metabolizes so quickly that if you are safe to drive, you're safe to BF.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

yes that's true about alcohol. I was more wondering about gassy foods etc - like if I eat hot chiles or beans (or let's be honest, BOTH!) when would Sierra be tasting/feeling the effects of that? She's never shown any real aversion to spicy things or even gassy foods but sometimes I wonder if I'm forgetting what I ate like last night and then wondering why she's upset, you know?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

4-6 hours is what I've seen referenced before: http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/qa/w ... breastmilk. I have another link somewhere with more detail, but I can't seem to find it. Karl did a good bit of research on this for me when we were struggling with gassy, screaming Freya.

Lots of mmm, experts now saying that it's a myth that the foods you eat can affect babies in this way, but we most certainly found it to be true for a long time. (even now, oj causes troubles)

Posted on FB today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx2vQU6V ... e=youtu.be

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

coldandsleepy wrote:
I have so much admiration for those of you who pumped at work/school for a long time.

Breastfeeding from the boob just seems so delightfully uncomplicated to me by comparison.

damn straight.

I have just been manually pumping a small amount most days to be able to get westiebaby used to a bottle for if I get sick/need to go somewhere without her/whatever, and my midwife said three weeks was the best time to start her. Breastfeeding isn't always pain free, but I much prefer that to the unnatural feeling squeezing of that horrible pump! And it's mega frustrating to take three days to build up a bottle's worth to have her decide not to drink from it! And sterilising the pump parts all the time is a pain too, definitely feels much simpler to be able to just give her a boob... Massive respect to the pumping working/studying mamas out there.

Also, I have a nipple infection. Which I found out after having a cracked nipple for 2+ weeks before mentioning it to my midwife because I thought it was normal... she took one look on Wednesday last week and said that is definitely not normal, phoned a lactation consultant who came around to see me that afternoon, took a swab and showed me some ways to try and get her to take a deeper latch. We went to see the lactation consultant at her clinic on Friday and she poked around in the baby's mouth to see if she is tongue-tied [seems not, but maybe a little 'inflexible' in the tongue], and I just heard from my midwife that there is definitely an infection and I have to get antibiotics...
So note to future self: massively painful nipples that are broken looking and occasionally bleeding are not normal! Oops.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, I hope that clears up soon. Great that you're still getting support, though. The microwave bags are great for sterilizing the parts. Totally worth the extra cost.

I'm sooooooooooo happy not to be pumping at work anymore. I quit January 2 and so far, we are still going strong with the nursing before and after work. I do worry that she's not getting enough from me on the weekends, but she pushes away the bottle when I'm around.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Sending good thoughts OWW! That sounds so painful.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ouch, you're tough, OWW! I would have been complaining about that situation immediately.

I'm miserable right now with a really painful plugged duct, and I made it my full-time job this weekend to get rid of it and not have it turn into mastitis. So far it's not getting better but not getting worse. It just sucks that I have to feel self-conscious of taking so many pumping breaks that I sometimes end up not taking enough and have now been in pain for days.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:43 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Marla666 wrote:
annak wrote:
*sigh* I am really starting to feel like it would be nice to, well, maybe not fully wean V, but to cut down on nursing. Most of the things I'm reading suggest phasing out a session or two but here's the thing: V isn't on any kind of schedule and we don't have N incidences of nursing every day--it's more like a continuous thing sometimes! Pretty much if I'm sitting down she'll come and be trying to help herself, and if I say no I get scratched and clawed at. I just don't even know where to begin. I've tried to get her to take more solids, and she is/does, but she doesn't drink any kind of substantial amount of soy or other milk, so it's not like she's using that as a substitute.

Anyway I know part of it is just that I'm having a bad day, but I would just like my body to myself for more of the day. If we're out and about she can easily go many hours without needing to nurse as long as she has a steady stream of solid food, but if we're home/in any kind of inactivity she'll pounce.

How old is she? A friend of mine had the same problem with her daughter and she cut down on nursing during daytime by offering other drinks and also by distracting her with toys and stuff. She also explained to her daughter that she could only nurse in the morning and before naps. It took a while but it definitely worked, but she was already 2 years old at the time.

My 15 month old daughter doesn't nurse that much during daytime, only before her nap and before she goes to bed at night. But at night it's the same as with V., and it's making me think about weaning a lot.

I'm way behind on PPK because of last months' craziness. - she's 18 months. It's so funny because if we go out for the day she is totally content not to nurse until we get home, but if we're home and I'm sitting down she's just on me constantly whenever she's bored.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:31 am 
Nailed to the V

Butternut wrote:
Oh, I hope that clears up soon. Great that you're still getting support, though. The microwave bags are great for sterilizing the parts. Totally worth the extra cost.

I have my antibiotics now, so fingers crossed it starts to heal up soon. The lactation consultant was going to call me on Thursday and maybe see me on Friday, and I'm seeing my midwife on Thursday afternoon, so I'm definitely feeling well supported.

I have a microwave steriliser thing, but it still seems like a pain, and I'm only pumping occasionally, and at home - at work or while studying I can't even imagine the hassle!

Good luck avoiding the mastitis, mooo!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We made it one year (and a day) and my milk hasn't vanished or turned to poison! I have to admit, I did have a little feeling of pride while nursing Will yesterday. Thanks to everyone on here for your support over the last year and good luck to all the mommies just starting this journey!!

I'm still pumping 2x/day and I'm not sure when I'll start slowing down. Sure, it's a pain lugging the pump and washing the parts (thanks hubby for helping!), but there is something almost therapeutic to watching the bottles fill up with milk!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 am 
Inflexitarian

Awesome job Kdub! You should be proud - 1 year is such a accomplishment!

Reply to topic  [ 2768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 111  Next