| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

It could well partially be the pump, as this one is several years old, but I had rented a hospital grade pump for a while and had the same response. The suctions still feels really strong to me. This late in the game, I don't think I'm going to invest in new parts.

Also, yesterday I got almost a whole ounce! It's kind of sad when that little amount feels like a ton.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Audrey wrote:
it is true, though, that plenty of women just don't respond well to pumps. I am one of them and have wished many many times that the problem was with the pump!

Have you tried hand-expressing (I'm guessing yes)? That works a lot better for me, although I understand people might not be keen to hand express at, say, work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:08 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Anyone notice a 21-22wk (5month) growth spurt? The kid is not sleeping and NON-STOP eating for the past 2 days. I mean, like i couldn't even pop him off all of last night or he'd scream/cry.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:28 am 
Chip Strong

Could it be tooth-related? We're going through the same thing, but at 9 months, and Scarlett seems to be getting like 5 teeth at once so I've been assuming it's related to that. Or maybe she's just going nurse more and more as time goes on and I'm never going to sleep again in my life...?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes, he's drooling MAJORLY! And has this high pitched scream when he's in pain. So it is a big possibility!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Guys I am so upset! So every morning before I go to work I "wake" Giles up (just get him out of bed semi-awake) and nurse him. It is the only time of day that he will nurse and really is a time I love. For several months now though it is a very tenuous thing because he will latch once and only once. If he pops off for any reason he will not latch again. Enter two partially emerged teeth. For the last 3 days in a row he has bitten down pretty hard after only a minute or two of nursing. The first day I tried just kind of "jostling" him a bit to see if he would get the idea that biting is bad, but that just made him clamp down harder AND woke him up so that after he stopped clamping down he didn't want to nurse anymore. Yesterday and today he bit down and I just popped him off - of course he refused to relatch then. So I am thinking this signals the end of even our once a day nursing because with someone who will only latch once and only nurses once a day there really aren't any opportunities to "teach" are there. I was wondering though if the biting is more because the teeth are new and still coming in and that maybe in a week or two when they aren't bothering him anymore he might be less prone to bite? I know my situation is completely different then most of you, but if you have any ideas I would love to hear them. I guess if this is really the end of nursing for us I can sleep in an extra 30 minutes - or use the time to exercise - but I would MUCH rather spend it cuddling my baby!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Aw, annasrobbie - that sucks! I couldn't get my first to latch and ended up ep'ing for her, so I completely understand where you're at and trying to preserve the relationship you have. I think every baby is different, but my own personal experience has been that Charlie tends to gnaw or bite either 1) when he's getting new tooth; or 2) when he's not actively nursing (usually toward the end of a session - he thinks it's funny). I think the challenge you may have is that most advice re: biting is a correction and/or popping him off the breast, both of which probably won't work as well if the baby isn't motivated to latch back on. If it were me, I'd probably keep trying for awhile to see if he eventually got it and stopped biting. Maybe try to nurse at night, after he's asleep? The dream feed idea?

As for me, I'm on day 3 of not pumping at work. I feel almost guilty about it, which is ridiculous, because Charlie eats 3 squares a day, has 3 mos. worth of frozen milk in the freezer, and is doing great drinking a combo of breast milk and soy or coconut milk from a cup. (No bottles any more!) He also nurses mornings, evenings and weekends. Still, after all the problems I had with my first, I'd like to keep going for awhile and am paranoid my supply will disappear overnight. So far, so good, though!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks sofrito. I am hoping he will be less inclined to bite when the teeth aren't so new an bothering him so I will try again in a day to two maybe. I cried a little (or a lot) about it today, but I realize that it really is such a little thing in the grand scheme...

That is awesome that you don't need to pump at work anymore! I'm sure the guilty feeling is tempered by that feeling of freedom only not having to drag around that pump can feel!!! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ugh, annasrobbie. I just want to say that I think you are amazing for sticking with it this long and mostly pumping and all the stress and frustration that must come with it. He is a lucky little guy to have such a patient mama.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:02 pm 

Sofrito, can you say a little more about how your first and second were different with nursing? My experience with babynut was really trying in the beginning and I had supply worries. Even though we ended up having a good nursing relationship, I'm worried about going through it again (possibly, I'm not pregnant).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:02 pm 
Semen Strong

Annasrobie, I'm sorry you're having a rough time with morning nursing.

Leela will sleep bite too. I don't know if this is helpful or if I am missing the issue, but when your baby is latched, he can't bite, because your nipple is further down his mouth, past the teeth. So if you watch for when he unlatches, you should be able to push your nipple further back or pull your nipple out before it drifts forward into teeth range.

Have you talked to an LC about re-establishing nursing at other times? I know a friend of mine had a baby who stopped nursing, and they got her back to it, by putting a lot of milk on the nipple so the baby was stimulated into figuring out how to latch.

I don't know if that is useful at all, but I definitely feel for you and send many good thoughts for you and Giles!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Butternut - sure! My experience is a bit unique, though, as I had a breast reduction in 2005. When I had Lucy, I wasn't sure if I'd make any milk, let alone have a full supply. She had difficulty latching, likely due to a combination of my anatomy, a tight frenulum on her part, and woeful lactation support in the hospital. The short story is that I sort of convinced myself I wouldn't be able to make enough milk, so I did a lot wrong in the early days. I ended up exclusively pumping and produced about 90% for her, with the help of lots of herbs and a medication called domperidone.

With Charlie, I fought like hell to get him to latch, initially with the help of a shield, and nursed often. I had to do a lot of trusting that he was getting enough, which was hard for me given my history. I actually have had a wonderful supply this time around - I've even donated around 700 ounces! I think my biggest issue the first time around was second guessing myself and sabotaging things inadvertently. I would also guess, however, that pumping for 10 months (which is as long as I lasted with Lucy) helped regenerate ducts for this go round. Even though my situation is a bit unique, I think it helped a lot that I was better orepared because I knew much more about what to expect for me, personally. Hopefully that will help you too! Oh, and I had a ton of help early on with Lucy so I was able to really just focus on establishing breastfeeding with Charlie. That was critical for me! (And my sanity....)

And seriously, annasrobbie - you rock. Exclusively pumping was one of the hardest things I've ever done, and I bow down to you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:48 pm 
Chip Strong

I have a job interview this week where I'll be there for 6 hours. I have no idea what I'll be doing for that long... They want to show me around their office or something. So even though I can get away with pumping less frequently these days, 6 hours is kind of pushing it. I really don't want to have to ask for a pumping break while I'm at a job interview, though! Ugh. Even though they're obstetricians and midwives and obviously would be fine with it, and I will probably mention that I have a baby anyway, I just don't want them to be thinking about me as someone who has this special need to take breaks all the time and can't even get through a job interview without one. So my options are to take care of my bodily needs and take a break to pump at some point, or pump in the car before I go in and right after I'm done. I don't know what to do!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:51 pm 

Do you know others that have done this type of interview who could tell you if there is a break?

Do you go that long at night when she's sleeping? I really didn't want to pump at a wedding and I just did right before and immediately after and it was uncomfortable but I survived. It helped me not to worry as much about it as much by comparing the time to my sleep time.

Good luck with the interview!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Can you ask them if they have an agenda to send you in advance? If they do, that may give you an idea if there is a time when you can take a pump break unobtrusively. I feel you about not wanting to ask, although I probably would ask given the nature of the work they do. Plus, the last thing I'd want is to be physically uncomfortable during an interview. That's all I'd be thinking about....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, I'd ask for an agenda. And then if you see there isn't a break, ask for one. I think most professionals respect other people being clear about their needs up front.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:11 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Moooo, I was in a similar situation lately. It was a situation where I absolutely did not feel comfortable discussing my breast-related needs with my potential employer. So, I went into it planning not to pump and knowing that if things got too excruciating, I could excuse myself and hand express in the bathroom. Not ideal, but it got me through (and I didn't end up needing to hand express).

Good luck with your interview!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 am 
Nooch of Earl

Eep, personally I would be doing everything I could do avoid bringing it up. Would taking eg Claritin help, maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah, I personally would try my best not to bring it up either. It is always amazing to me how medical providers can dole out advice that involves patients' workplaces allowing them extra break time or whatnot, but if their own employees need such accommodation they aren't too keen on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:36 am 

Ugh. While I agree, it's a sad commentary on the state of maternal affairs that you can't ask for a 20 minute break. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I hope it goes well for you! I think asking for an agenda would be my first step. 6 hours seems like a long time without any sort of break.

I was just thinking this thread has been quiet for so long, hope that means everyone is doing well and relatively problem-free!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:24 am 
Chip Strong

Thanks for all the feedback! I had an extremely busy day on Wednesday where I wasn't able to pump for 9 hours, so I decided that 6 hours for the interview would be fine. And it was. The whole thing was a little stressful and awkward and I'm glad I had already decided not to worry about pumping, because I would not have felt comfortable bringing it up. I also hope they didn't think I'm a totally low energy zombie, because Scarlett has been sleeping horribly lately and I had to go to the interview exhausted.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:20 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good luck! When will you hear something about the position?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:43 pm 

You guys, I got the worst chafing running a race today. I have incredibly raw patches on both breasts and in between. The first time we nursed was right after the race and I hadn't bandaged it...lets just say babynut learned some new words. The next time we nursed she signed for milk and said, "Ow, ow, ow!" mimicking me from before. Now I'm all taped up but I'm worried she will yank them off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh no Butternut! That sounds awful - I hope you heal up post-haste!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 115  Next