| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 111  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:22 pm 
Inflexitarian

Hang in there LisaPunk! I was right there with you feeling like I was hit by a truck when Giles was born - you WILL feel better! have you thought about partially swaddling babypunk for feedings so her arms aren't flailing? Maybe leave her legs free though so you can stimulate her enough so she doesn't drift off?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Honestly, I would be tempted to stick with the nipple shield a little longer if it's that much of an issue and she's nursing fine when it's on (not that I've ever used a nipple shield). Have you tried the usual "express a little milk so there's already some on your nipple when she goes to latch on"-routine?
I have a photo of me and Raygold when my milk came in and my boobs are definitely bigger than his head. And one time I was changing Beetroot and thought he peed on me, but it was just my engorged nipple leaking and dripping on my toe.
I actually prefer to nurse with my left because I'm right handed and if I nurse on the left side, I can type with my right hand (or feed myself or whatever).
Hang in there! Breastfeeding definitely gets easier with time -- you'll be a pro!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:33 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

aww Lisa you are right - that's all just normal, learning-to-nurse stuff I think. I am so, so glad you have your husband supporting you and getting his bonding time in too. And I wish some of us ppkers could bring you some food! don't forget to keep hydrated too.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LP - totally normal. I think breastfeeding is a horror movie for most for a few weeks. But it does get better! Have you tried starting nursing with the shield and then at some point during the feed taking it off? (Doing that will be easier said than done at first because you have to try to unlatch, whip the thing off, and relatch quickly to avoid a complete meltdown.) That way she latches on early, gets a bit satiated, and the nipple is pulled out well. That's how I ended up weaning C from it. It seemed to work better when he was sleepy because he didn't get so pissed that I'd pop him off. Hang in there!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It is rough in the beginning for most, so don't despair. Agreed with those saying to stick with the shield if it works for you. Our LLL leaders often say that 6 weeks is a pretty normal learning curve. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:23 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Yes, agree with everyone here! BabyEnchilada had a tongue tie, so a bit of a different issue, but it took 2 1/2 months to get off the shield, and it was just like all of a sudden he could latch. It was so weird, and amazing! And my nipples hurt so much while they were getting tougher, which wasn't something I had really anticipated. BFing is so easy now, though... it really does get better!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks everyone.
i rested for quite awhile after i posted that last post. i dont know if i fell asleep but i definitely laid down for awhile.
then my husband went and got me the most monster salad ever and grilled a field roast sausage to go on top and im feeling a lot better already.

i wish my hips would stop aching so bad though. it feels like the damn bones are aching. not sure if it's from birfing the baby or my messed up sacrum. (probably both!) either way ill probably head back to the chiro soon and hope that helps.

we dont swaddle her when we feed her because she'll just totally zonk out. i have to usually strip her down to just a diaper to keep her pissed off enough to stay involved!

just starting today ive been pumping each boob a little before feeding to help prime it for her and usually there is some milk on it but that doesnt seem to help her latch. sometimes she unlatches herself and there's milk everywhere and that doesnt seem to re-entice her. she's just a feisty lil punker!

i think the answer to the nipple shield thing is to stop stressing about it like everyone said.
the LC we saw in the hospital said to start feeding without it to basically practice and then if she gets frustrated to put it on.
maybe i will try the other way around for a bit (start with it then take it off)

the good thing is i think i have a lot of resources around here for BF if i look for it. that wont happen for a bit as im still just trying to get through each day ;-)

ok im getting yelled at to get off my computer and take a nap ;-)

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

LisaPunk the first weeks are sooo hard! Sounds like your husband is being super supportive, and I'm glad he's being a nap enforcer! ;) It's rough but you'll totally make it and you and Charlotte will both be champs on the other side.

Also, I had the most ridiculous nest on the couch for the first few months. I had pillows and blankets and all sorts of stuff to cushion me so I didn't put any pressure on my torn-up underside. Hopefully you can find an arrangement that help relieve the pressure on your hips! Maybe some sort of memory foam cushion?

Also, I had a chiro adjustment for me a few days after birth, and one for Sven too. It helped both of us -- birth is hard work for everyone! (And for babies it's literally like a tiny bit of pressure with one finger by the chiro. I was so worried but it's way more gentle than being born!) My husband actually needed one too since I mangled him so badly while pushing, haha.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron

mandycoot wrote:
I had pillows and blankets and all sorts of stuff to cushion me so I didn't put any pressure on my torn-up underside.

One of the midwives gave me condoms to fill with water and freeze and then stuff in my pantaloons so I could actually sit (my hemorrhoids were forking out of control huge, it was horrible)! And then a _very_ confused Mr Crabby asked what I was supposed to do with the condoms. He was all, "are you supposed to put them up your asparagus?" And I was all, "holy shiitake, how the heck would that help my hemorrhoids?!"

They did really help, though. Frozen asparagus is better than I have a vineyard of hemorrhoids and it feels like a bee stung me in the asparagus - asparagus.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

LP oh my god, I had the worst aching bones pain in the first couple weeks! I know exactly what you are talking about. When my LC came to my apartment to help me with nursing, she didn't like my spot on the couch (where I had been sitting for hours) and helped me use pillows to get more support for my back. She also told me to use a foot rest. i used a yoga block to prop one foot. That helped a lot. From that point forward, I took the time to arrange myself before I tried to latch the baby on, even if she was freaking out. The pain it caused me was not worth saving a minute of fussiness. I also had pain in my hips from side lying nursing in bed. Try not to contort yourself to the baby...move the baby to you. That will help with the terrible aches. It does get better as everyone is saying.

And "punklet" is so close to my name IRL that I keep doing a double take whenever I read that in your messages! I keep thinking, why is she talking about my baby?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Will didn't want to nurse before bed tonight. He kept arching his back and whining at me and wouldn't even attempt. He's been running a fever the last couple day, so I'm 99% sure it was a fluke and he'll nurse tomorrow night... But right now I feel like I might start to cry at any moment.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh Kdub, that was us last weekend. I'm starting to prepare for night weaning and an nervous about that so when she was uninterested, I'm a bit extra emotional. She went right back to chug-a-lugging after 3 days though, so hopefully you'll be fine too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:33 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Butternut wrote:
I also had pain in my hips from side lying nursing in bed. Try not to contort yourself to the baby...move the baby to you. That will help with the terrible aches. It does get better as everyone is saying.

Butternut, do you have any tips for comfortable side lying nursing? Six months in and I still can't seem to find a good way to do it without hip pain. I hate to give up on a BFing position that works lying down, though!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:18 am 
Naked Under Apron

Hey, ScandinaVegan, I know you asked Butternut and not me, but have you tried putting a thick duvet or something like that under your sheet to give you a bit of extra cushioning and nursing with a pillow between your knees (keeping your ankles un-crossed)?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ScandinaVegan wrote:
Butternut wrote:
I also had pain in my hips from side lying nursing in bed. Try not to contort yourself to the baby...move the baby to you. That will help with the terrible aches. It does get better as everyone is saying.

Butternut, do you have any tips for comfortable side lying nursing? Six months in and I still can't seem to find a good way to do it without hip pain. I hate to give up on a BFing position that works lying down, though!

my boobs are small and i get back pain from side nursing. i do flat on my back nursing. baby lies diagonally, mostly tummy to tummy, and i use a pillow under the arm on the side she's nursing. kind of like if you just lay straight down from an upright nursing position. the arm supports her head so her face isn't squished down too much, and the pillow allows my arm and shoulder to fully relax. it is so comfy.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

littlebird wrote:
ScandinaVegan wrote:
Butternut wrote:

my boobs are small and i get back pain from side nursing. i do flat on my back nursing. baby lies diagonally, mostly tummy to tummy, and i use a pillow under the arm on the side she's nursing. kind of like if you just lay straight down from an upright nursing position. the arm supports her head so her face isn't squished down too much, and the pillow allows my arm and shoulder to fully relax. it is so comfy.

Well, I found keeping a pillow between my knees to be helpful for the hip pain. Also, moving into different positions regularly like bending my top leg up and over (so not on top of bottom leg, but on the bed itself).

Once the baby is older, I can't remember how old yours is, I also started laying on my back like littlebird. I don't use a pillow, though. Babynut goes halfway on bed and halfway on me.

I think think the thing that helped me the most with pain during nursing was adjusting my attitude...I started taking the time to get comfortable first and then helping the baby. That improved the quality of my life!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah, i can make side nursing work, with a pillow between my knees and a couple behind me, but that's a lot of pillows to arrange in the middle of the night. i've been doing the back lying thing for quite a while, since lydia was about 2-3 months. not super floppy head stage but not mobile.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:09 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thanks for all the tips, everybody!

I am also small so maybe the back position will be more comfortable. tw is 6 months old so it's worth a try.
For side-lying, I've tried a pillow between the knees but once it gets squished down it doesn't do much--I'll have to try the something underneath suggestion too. What helps most is kind of sticking my top leg straight up in the air, but that's not super-sustainable and messes up the blankets. But maybe a bulkier or firmer pillow or folded blanket between the knees will help too.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:43 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I am small too, and I've tried the pillow thing, but when your kid wants to nurse 10000000000x a night, it just doesn't work. So I'm still trying to find other ways to do side lying.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:47 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I found my pregnancy snoogle helped.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos is in the process of weaning. I have been on a couple out of town trips recently and he did just fine without a bottle. The first trip I pumped about 4 ounces in 3 days and the second less than 1.5 ounces! I've been back about a week now. In terms of his getting to sleep the last two nights haven't gone that well. The two nights before went much better, but he is nursing so little and I barely have any milk. He is kind of lazily latching on, which hurts, and making a half effort to nurse. Sometimes he stares at my breast and points at my nipple, like he is wondering what it is. It seems like he isn't going to nurse so I cover back up, but then he gets upset about that so I try again. The last couple nights there was a lot of back and forth between I want to nurse and I don't. The thing is nursing is always what calmed him for bed. So now I am trying to read a bedtime book along with nursing (not at the same time). But it's been hit or miss. Tonight it was a lot of hysterics. He is teething too, but he seemed fine during the day. I think the problem is he wants to nurse to calm down, but isn't digging it so stops and then gets upset that he isn't nursing. I'm just upset that he's upset. It is hard figuring out a new bedtime routine.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:53 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Henry and I are having a similar issue, he's been waking up at like 4, and demands to nurse, but then rolls around, pops off and signs milk, gets upset that he's popped off, latches back on and repeats. His nursing has been all over the place lately, as has his sleep, but we recently stopped the before bed nurse. Now he brushes his teeth, gets into pajamas, picks out some books and then I say good night to him and he and Papa to into the bedroom to read stories, relax in our bed until he's drowsy and then mr bap puts him in his crib to fall asleep. I'd like to be a part of the going to sleep routine, but we're waiting until he's less adamant about nursing. He's gone a couple of days where he doesn't at all, but then other days I feel like he's signing milk and sticking his hands down my shirt constantly.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:37 am 
And you never will.

Poopieboy has been on a boob kick the last couple of weeks. I really thought we were slowing down and heading toward weaning, but it's like all of a sudden he wants it ALL the time. He's even been asking when we're out, which he hasn't done in... a year? He'll be 3 in July, so I can't see him wanting to keep it up much longer, but damn does this child love the boob. It's kind of exhausting me.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:31 am 
Naked Under Apron

poopiebitch wrote:
Poopieboy has been on a boob kick the last couple of weeks. I really thought we were slowing down and heading toward weaning, but it's like all of a sudden he wants it ALL the time. He's even been asking when we're out, which he hasn't done in... a year? He'll be 3 in July, so I can't see him wanting to keep it up much longer, but damn does this child love the boob. It's kind of exhausting me.

I dunno, Beetroot was really into the boob until he was about 4!!! He really slowed down after 3-1/2, though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:45 am 
And you never will.

I can totally see poopieboy being that way! I figure we've stuck it out this long, I'll just see how it goes from here. Sometimes I imagine he'll never stop and we'll be like that sketch from Little Britain.

Reply to topic  [ 2768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 111  Next