| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 113  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:54 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Re: pumping, if I'm paying attention to the pumping at all, it mostly doesn't work for me. But if I do something distracting (read a book, watch the Daily Show, anything really) then the milk just flows. When I pumped semi-regularly, I used to joke that the sight of Jon Stewart triggered my letdowns.

It definitely takes some time to get the hang of pumping and I think probably different things work for everyone. I hope you find something that works soon!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

Megan My Dear wrote:
Something that might help with more milk via pump is larger breast shields. I am not familiar with your brand, but bigger shields (the things your boobs go into) can help yield a lot.

oh yeah! i second this! i had forgotten all about that, but pumping went MUCH better when i had a flange that actually fit.

& i also agree with cold&sleepy about not paying attention to the pumping making milk flow better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks all. I tried again this morning with a bigger flange while Kai was at the other breast. I got 1.5 ounces in 15 minutes. So better, but jeez what a painstakingly slow process! I hope it gets easier.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:50 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I second the fenugreek helping too! I took 3 capsules with each meal. I smelled like pancakes and had a very noticeable increase in supply.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:26 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

What kinds of shirts do you recommend for the first few weeks postpartum? Should I stock up on nursing tanks, and if so, what brands do you like? I live in a drafty house, in Maine, and it will be December. I'm thinking about stocking up on baggy flannel lumberjack shirts that I can just unbutton.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

mittenmacher wrote:
What kinds of shirts do you recommend for the first few weeks postpartum? Should I stock up on nursing tanks, and if so, what brands do you like? I live in a drafty house, in Maine, and it will be December. I'm thinking about stocking up on baggy flannel lumberjack shirts that I can just unbutton.

these!

i tried a couple of other things, but the full-sling target nursing tanks are totally the best. i wear them every day, under whatever shirt or dress i'm wearing. in the beginning, i did pretty much what you're describing, wearing those tanks underneath button-down shirts that are easy to undo. i also had this maternity sweater from old navy (like this one) that i continue to wear now. i wrap it around & tie it in the back, but it comes undone easily for nursing or you can just tug the sweater sufficiently out of the way without taking the whole thing off.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

yes those!! i wore those tanks and cardigans almost exclusively in the beginning!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I love Majamas nursing tanks -- you can usually find them pretty cheap (new) on ebay. Pretty cheap considering how much they usually cost. They are pretty durable!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

Megan My Dear wrote:
yes those!! i wore those tanks and cardigans almost exclusively in the beginning!

i think you are the one who told me about them! they are the best!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:23 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I have huge boobs, and they are pudding boobs (hey, I can own that!), so nursing tanks were absolutely useless to me. I tried on about a billion and owned a few and none of them were any good for leaving the house for me.

For the first month, while I wasn't leaving the house, I was topless most of the time anyway. Jewbacca once posted something about feeling like she should be in National Geographic in the first few months... that's how I felt too, ha ha.

After that, I just got some comfy loose fitting shirts. Had to be super comfy, a little form fitting (so I didn't feel shapeless) but not unflattering (because I was mega-fat).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

coldandsleepy wrote:
I have huge boobs, and they are pudding boobs (hey, I can own that!), so nursing tanks were absolutely useless to me. I tried on about a billion and owned a few and none of them were any good for leaving the house for me.

i was really afraid of that too -- i've never been able to use those built-in-bra style tank tops before, but those target ones worked for me for whatever reason. i did try a couple of other kinds unsuccessfully, so it seems wise to just get one to see how they work before committing to it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:38 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

coldandsleepy wrote:

For the first month, while I wasn't leaving the house, I was topless most of the time anyway. Jewbacca once posted something about feeling like she should be in National Geographic in the first few months... that's how I felt too, ha ha.

After that, I just got some comfy loose fitting shirts. Had to be super comfy, a little form fitting (so I didn't feel shapeless) but not unflattering (because I was mega-fat).

I'm not sure what you mean by "pudding boobs," but I am also pretty big, and skeptical of built-in bra tanks. I might try one and see how it goes. Yesterday I bought this bra: http://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/the-original-nursing-bra-double-plus-style and it is a beast. I love it. No bouncing, no flopping. National geographic isn't really going to be an option for me, since it is cold here (even inside), so I think I'm just going to stick with industrial strength nursing bras and big flannel man shirts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:50 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

coldandsleepy wrote:
Re: pumping, if I'm paying attention to the pumping at all, it mostly doesn't work for me. But if I do something distracting (read a book, watch the Daily Show, anything really) then the milk just flows. When I pumped semi-regularly, I used to joke that the sight of Jon Stewart triggered my letdowns.

It definitely takes some time to get the hang of pumping and I think probably different things work for everyone. I hope you find something that works soon!

This. For me, I get antsy if I'm hungry, thirsty, or have to pee. I try to feed myself before pumping and drink as much water as I can, because I almost always get hungry when I nurse/pump. If the milk isn't flowing very well, I focus on reading. Sometimes I'll even whip out my phone and look at pictures of Zora- those help me relax the most.

Shirts to nurse in are a problem for me. I can't afford the ones that will seem doable- I do have one Glamourmom tank that is extra long, which I love. I wish I could afford more. I end up wearing a tank or even a regular bra underneath a long-sleeved shirt. Sometimes I'll even pull the neckline of a v-neck down.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:50 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm also in the "pudding" category. Built-in-bra tanks didn't work for me before, during, or after pregnancy.

I know people are divided on underwires for nursing moms, but I found I had to have an underwire to feel supported at all. I lived in the Melinda G t-shirt nursing bra. I took it off to shower, and that was it. When I was at home, I wore a giant fluffy bathrobe most of the time. When I was out, I wore lots of wrap dresses and crossover-style tops that I could just pull down to nurse. But I was a big "over the collar" nurser. There was no way I was pulling anything up and risking showing off my postpartum bread-dough belly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

my biggest problem with nursing bras, besides providing adequate support without an underwire, was that they all came up super high over my cleavage and peaked out of all but my most modest cut shirts. i don't exactly wear super low cut stuff, either. i finally found a G&M nursing bra at target that had more of a triangle cut than the straight across and got to start wearing my risqué v-neck t-shirts again.

i had a nursing tank, but usually i just wore shirts i could pull up easily (anything jersey cotton basically). especially at home, it just seemed easier and more comfortable than doing a bunch of buttons, etc. i was still wearing my belly band post-partum because i couldn't button my pants so betwixt that, the nursing pillow, and the baby slung across my body i did not feel especially exposed after the first couple feedings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:18 pm 
Tofu Pup

I prefer the slide sling nursing tanks from Target. The full sling ones feel restrictive to me but maybe they're not the right size (hand me downs). I bought a few nursing bras but hardly ever wear them as I love the tanks because I mostly pull up my shirts to nurse so they also cover my mummy tummy which is nice. If I wear a shirt that I can pull down or unbutton to nurse then I might wear a nursing bra. I would get maybe one bra and a tank or two and then you can decide what you like and buy more afterwards. I also had bought my nurisng bras in 2 different sizes so I didn't have to wait to return/exchange and I just sent the wrong size back after once my milk came in. I ordered them off the internet at jillians drawers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

my sister's boobs got gigantic after she had her baby. she used a bravado nursing bra with a target tank over it. the bra wasn't padded or anything but gave her extra support and the tank open up easy but kept her tummy covered.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:06 pm 
Married to the wolfman

mittenmacher wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "pudding boobs," but I am also pretty big, and skeptical of built-in bra tanks. I might try one and see how it goes. Yesterday I bought this bra: http://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/the-original-nursing-bra-double-plus-style and it is a beast. I love it. No bouncing, no flopping. National geographic isn't really going to be an option for me, since it is cold here (even inside), so I think I'm just going to stick with industrial strength nursing bras and big flannel man shirts.

They're like balloons full of pudding. What I'm saying is... they're not particularly firm.

I tried the Bravado double plus on because a miiiiiiillion people recommended it to me. Just didn't work for me. Ugly, and it didn't get me where I need to be. The only nursing bras I liked were the underwire Medela ones which I think they stopped making. After four or five months, once my milk supply and breast size were pretty much stabilizied, I just started popping my boob up and out of normal bras.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:31 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i'm small chested- i wasn't an a cup before i got pregnant and i went up to a c- i think now i am in the b range. i love love love my bravado bras and my target tanks get lots of use too. i wear old man beaters iif i want my belly covered and will be pulling up my shirt. i tend to wear layers, and just pull up to nurse in public or unbutton. i don't do underwires, i have had ducts clog and i worry about getting more of this.

the only restriction with clothes i find is i don't wear dresses, but otherwise i don't wear 'nursing wear' except a nightgown my sister handed down to me.

aubade- if you are getting 1.5 ounces in a sitting from one side that is really good, as a full feeding for a young one is between that and 2 ozs. your body will adjust.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:38 pm 
And you never will.

littlebird wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
Does fenugreek actually work? I'm suspecting some supply issues as poopiebaby just isn't gaining very rapidly and he nurses a LOT, so I'm trying to figure out what to try first. Are fenugreek tablets better than tea? What about blessed thistle? Should I take them together?

have you been to the kellymom site? you can input all his weights and see how he's gaining. nursing a lot isn't really that indicative of how your supply is doing. he could be having a growth spurt, needing extra comfort, anything really. anyway, that kellymom site has really good info for evaluating whether or not your supply is really having issues.

I just saw this! Yes, I went there. Poopiebaby is 17 weeks old and weighs only 11lbs 7oz. I used the calculator on the kellymom site from his lowest weight at one week old to his current age/weight, and he's gained an average of 4.7 ounces per week. The site says it should be 5-7 ounces per week at this age. I'm going to order some fenugreek and blessed thistle to start taking as soon as I get home.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:51 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

nine years later, this thread makes my boobs hurt.

i am just here (as the long past-BF crone) to say that you ladies have my sympathies. i've been there and holy shiitake i'm glad i am no longer pumping. i used to fall asleep at the kitchen table pumping. i did have the electric superpump and it was great, but i remember the first days in the hospital trying to pump and being in such, such pain. hugs, mamas!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:48 pm 
ol' garly cooch

what torque said. i've had to supplement with formula for both children and have given up feeling guilty about it. most women don't even try to breast feed. some women can't because of a health issue. some women can pump a gazillion gallons of milk. some women sacrifice everything-(time, sleep, etc.) under the sun to pump just a few more ounces of milk per day. some are like me, pump what i can and supplement with the rest. we're still mommies no matter what.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

jewbacca wrote:
what torque said. i've had to supplement with formula for both children and have given up feeling guilty about it. most women don't even try to breast feed. some women can't because of a health issue. some women can pump a gazillion gallons of milk. some women sacrifice everything-(time, sleep, etc.) under the sun to pump just a few more ounces of milk per day. some are like me, pump what i can and supplement with the rest. we're still mommies no matter what.

I love you for always saying what's on my mind, and what I want someone to say to me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

coldandsleepy wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

I love you for always saying what's on my mind, and what I want someone to say to me.

plus a million!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jewbacca wrote:

For real. I'm glad you don't feel guilty anymore! I've only tried 3 times now and haven't been able to bring myself to try again all week. It hurts, even with the largest flange. I know I need to build up a supply so I have to do it again but I hate it! Especially with Kai nursing constantly too, it just sucks. (No pun intended.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 113  Next