| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i decided to stop guilt tripping myself about using the nipple shield, now we just use it all the time because im so stressed out about the adjustment of having a tiny little newborn. i figure once things settle down and we get into a routine i can start to think about weaning her off the nipple shield. there's also a baby store nearby that does a lot of classes and has a breast feeding group so i think if i can get past my super super bad social anxiety i may go over there and suffer through a panic attack and get into some sort of breast feeding/mom's group.

the Punklet is a ferocious nurser. she wants to nurse like for long stretches of time. i have no idea where all this milk goes when she only weighs 5 lbs!!!
it's kind of exhausting but it's definitely good after everyone at the hospital telling me how underweight she was :-P
she latches on and nurses non-stop on one boob for like 20 mins without coming up for air. then sometimes i have to de-latch her just so i can do both sides. then she is usually covered in milk. then a lot of time she projectile spews a big pile of milk.

i wonder if i should make her take a break sometimes so she can like swallow or if the projectile spew is just a normal part of nursing???
then usually she will do another 10-20 mins on the other boob then we have to change and burp her and hten to get her to calm down to sleep she might nurse another 5 mins.

she is also a daysleeper and night partyer. i dont know how she knows the differnence but during the day after nursing she might be alert for a bit of playtime then fall asleep or might fall asleep right away but as soon as the clock strikes 11-12 at night she screams anytime you put her down for a few hours.

she finally settled down this morning in the early early hours and then slept for 4 hours. we didnt wake her like normal after 2-3 hours cause we were so tired!

in good news my boobs dont hurt anymore. they have settled back into a normal size and arent lumpy and on fire anymore.
now if my other lady parts would catch up and not be in crazy pain anymore that would be nice! ;-)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm traveling overseas for ~6 days soon, alone! while I leave V with my parents. I'd be part sad but mostly thrilled if she just forgot about nursing while I was gone. I feel very conflicted and weird about it and will probably have to bring a pump, blech, but...I would like a break before we get a new one in the pipeline.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LP, Beetroot used to nurse for 40+ minutes on just one boob without popping off! Sometimes it seemed like he'd be barfing half of it up afterward and sometimes it just seemed like a big mouthful of milk would just roll out of his mouth (when he got into what I call a boob coma and was all doozy from the milk), but he put on enough weight to follow the growth chart, so nobody was worried. I didn't realise how long babies breastfed until I had Beetroot. Raygold didn't breastfeed quite that long most of the time, though (maybe 20-30 minutes).

What cracks me up is how sometimes newborns are so nonchalant about barfing. Beetroot would look all sweet and happy and then all this barf would just fly out of his mouth and he would act like it was no big deal.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that sounds just like Charlotte. it sometimes just drips out of her all over the place and she's just like "yeah whatever" or it projectiles out of her mouth and she looks like she's thinking "well that felt good"

my husband is always like "is she STILL eating?!?!?" hahahaa

im so curious to know what she weighs now. i have a small postage scale that i use to weigh my guinea pigs but it looks like it only goes up to 5 lbs so i guess we'll just wait til Friday for our dr appt

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Quote:
then sometimes i have to de-latch her just so i can do both sides. then she is usually covered in milk. then a lot of time she projectile spews a big pile of milk.

you don't need to feed from both sides. one side is plenty. even when they're older, one side can be enough.

Quote:
i wonder if i should make her take a break sometimes so she can like swallow or if the projectile spew is just a normal part of nursing???
then usually she will do another 10-20 mins on the other boob then we have to change and burp her and hten to get her to calm down to sleep she might nurse another 5 mins.

have you tried nursing more reclined? it makes the flow of milk a bit slower and helps them not spit up as much. you can also take her off right when you feel the tingly let-down, let the milk spurt into a cloth, then relatch.

Quote:
she finally settled down this morning in the early early hours and then slept for 4 hours. we didnt wake her like normal after 2-3 hours cause we were so tired!

you definitely do not need to wake her! if her weight gain is good, and she's peeing and pooping frequently, she can start sleeping longer stretches. very very sleepy babies, babies not gaining well, they need to be woken.

she sounds like she's having her first growth spurt. you will probably get a few days break and then she'll have her 2 week growth spurt soon. the 20 min of nursing is normal, but if she's never content off the boob, you may want to look into it a bit. either she's not transferring milk well (do you see the "suck suck pause swallow" pattern?), or she may be dealing with a bit of reflux. if she's still really fussy and nursing constantly after the 2 week visit, i'd ask your health care provider about that.

one other thing, if she's puking up a lot of milk, but still very frantic to nurse, you might have a baby that likes a pacifier. it's a bit early yet, but provided her weight gain and elimination are good, you might offer a paci for that last few minutes of sucking before she falls asleep. as long as you're careful with it, it can be a really helpful tool for sucky babies.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think the nursing on both sides is more of an OCD thing in my brain ;-)

ill try reclining with her to see if that helps.

she is definitely a good candidate for a pacifier but im kind of on the fence about whether or not we want to use one and it's far too early anyways. she definitely likes to suck on things though and has already figured out how to suck on her own hands. didnt take her too long to figure out how to get them into her mouth.

this may sound weird but i dont think ive ever felt "let down"

i just nurse her until she falls asleep or until she stops.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The thinking on letting the baby finish one side before moving to the other side is that the hind milk is more fatty than the fore milk. It's good for the baby to get to that fatty milk that comes at end.

A lot of people don't feel let downs. I only know by the baby's reaction.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka was a serious marathon nurser, too. In the beginning she would often nurse for an hour on just one side. She would also cluster feed for hours- twenty minutes on boob, doze off for ten, rinse and repeat. I wouldn't stress about it, especially if she's gaining properly, making wet diapers and poop, and seems otherwise happy. In our case i dont even think it was because I wasn't making enough milk, i think it was just that she really needed to suck, because she would often cluster feed even after she got a bottle in the beginning. I spent a crazy amount of time nursing for a person who wasn't making milk, but it was one thing that really made her content. I used to queue up the DVR, strap on the Brest friend, and sit in the glider for four hours straight nursing in the evenings. Those are really my fondest memories of newborn-ness. Malka refused every offer of the pacifier and now I am just glad I don't have to wean her off it! If Charlotte will take one, though, I know many people who have found it a lifesaver.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:37 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

About waking at night-- is Charlotte not back at her birth weight? I've always been told that until they get back up to their birth weight, babies need to be woken so there is 2-3 hours between feeds, but allowing one or two stretches of 4 hours at night is acceptable.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im not sure if she's back up to her birth weight yet. she doesnt go back to the dr til friday and i dont have a good scale to weigh her on.
a week ago she was back up to 5 lbs 2 oz which was what she weighed when we were discharged from the hospital so the dr thought that was good because she had probably lost more then started to gain back.

we seem to have settled into a groove. she doesnt let us go much longer than 2-3 hours anyways so we stopped setting our alarm clock to wake up to feed her. she does it for us. sometimes in the early morning she might let us sleep 3-4 hours.

4 hours is so refreshing! :-)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
4 hours is so refreshing! :-)

4 hours is really good for that young if you ask me! I didn't get 4 hours out of Reggie until he was at least 18 months old! (Of course, he was an extreme case....)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:41 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am just popping on to whine so don't mind me... I have been just about breaking even between what I pump and what Giles eats for a few weeks now (he has 26-28 oz per day and I make 28-30) So about a week ago after driving me insane with a week of barely eating 20 oz per day he has suddenly decided to be a ravenous milk monster and has been having 34 opd! We have blown through all the fresh milk in the fridge. He refuses to touch the frozen milk. He refuses to touch a bottle topped off with almond milk same for soy milk. SCREAMS like we are killing him when I spent what seemed like an outrageous sum of money on some formula and offered it to him. (also tried offering him more water just in case he was just thirsty and that is a no go) So now I am trying to increase my output - back to damn 7 pumps per day and I KNOW that as soon as I do actually increase my supply (if it is even possible at this point in the game while pumping) he is going to be over this little spurt and back to his usual amount... end whine session.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:44 am 

I nursed a purple cat today.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Purple cat, purple cat, whom did YOU nurse?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela likes to put her stuffies on me to nurse as well. Its hilarious. I also have the most amazing photo of her nursing her teddy bear, but she is completely naked in it, so I can't share it.

We were at Rutgers Gardens today, and she wouldn't stop diving down my shirt. So a lot of people saw my boobs. Again.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:41 pm 

annak wrote:
Purple cat, purple cat, whom did YOU nurse?

It wasn't that purple cat, although I know the one you mean!

We have been nursing pretty much nonstop all day. And there was no nap. I hope she is not getting sick or something.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:55 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Giles had his first bottle of non-breastmilk. My friend had several formula samples and we finally found one he would take. I thought I would be sad but I am just relieved. I have been trying to increase output for several days now and have instead seen a steady decrease. Probably because I was so stressed about not having enough milk for him. Unfortunately he refused all the soy formula - the only one he would take is some dairy based toddler enfamil. Hopefully we won't have to supplement too much though.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:26 pm 

Glad you found a formula he'll take, annasrobbie!

Anyone here exclusively pump? I've been trying to figure out how much milk H really needs, and I can't seem to get a definitive answer. One LC I talked to said that 24-28 oz should be fine, but another source told me 25-35(!) oz. I've noticed my supply going down a bit and I'm trying to figure out if he's really getting enough. Doesn't help that I've been terrible at keeping track of how much I'm pumping and how much he's consumed, so I just don't know how much my supply has actually gone down.

Edited to add-- He's 2.5 months, if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Kellymom says the average baby takes between 19-30 oz per day between 1 and 6 months. I started to EP right around 3 months and I think he was taking around 20-22 oz per day from a bottle and did nurse once in the morning (probably an additional 3-4 oz). He kept that amount until around 8 months when he increased to 28 opd. My recent lament was that in the past two weeks he has pretty steadily wanted 30-33 which is more then I am pumping!

Are you EP'ing? I was able to boost my supply without too much trouble until around 14 weeks. Not at 10 months nothing is budging it higher!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:56 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I just realized we made it to two years nursing which was my goal! Ada's really only nursing for a few seconds at a time before nap and bed. And now all of the sudden the morning again. This is how nursing goes now: She says "Kiss. Hug. (some unrecognizable thing that she says when she kisses and hugs us as well)" as she kisses and hugs my boob, nurses for literally maybe five seconds, then says "other side" and repeat. Kissing and hugging them is part of the bedtime routine just as she kisses and hugs me, my husband, her Zoe doll, and my belly. It's quite funny. She also likes to say things like "boobies sooooo cute". I'm really curious what is going to happen when the baby gets here. I keep explaining to her that the baby is going to need to nurse a lot and she talks about that but I'm not sure if she is going to all of the sudden want to nurse more or what.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:16 pm 

annasrobbie wrote:
Kellymom says the average baby takes between 19-30 oz per day between 1 and 6 months. I started to EP right around 3 months and I think he was taking around 20-22 oz per day from a bottle and did nurse once in the morning (probably an additional 3-4 oz). He kept that amount until around 8 months when he increased to 28 opd. My recent lament was that in the past two weeks he has pretty steadily wanted 30-33 which is more then I am pumping!

Are you EP'ing? I was able to boost my supply without too much trouble until around 14 weeks. Not at 10 months nothing is budging it higher!

I exclusively pump for H, but he's a twin, and his twin sister C exclusively breastfeeds. I got 26 oz yesterday, and that was the first time I've actually kept track of how much I get for the whole day. That seemed pretty good to me, but hearing 25-35 ounces as a normal range freaked me out a bit!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:16 pm 

Yay for making it to your 2 year goal, sashi! That's awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

helbury- the LC told me that baby will take 2-2.5x its body weight in oz in 24 hours. So a 10# baby will take 20-25oz.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

holy crepe the funniest/weirdest thing happened to me today.

we are doing really great weaning off the nipple shield to straight boob. i only need to use it now when she is like absolutely shrieking and wont nurse at all and at this point that is rare so we pretty much dont use it anymore (YAY!)
HOWEVER she seems to really not want to nurse on the left boob by itself. she sort of will suck on it for a couple seconds and then pop off and then repeat over and over and sometimes it looks like she is just like sipping and only has a tiny bit of the nipple in her mouth. so my left boob this afternoon was like super full and had even dripped on my toe when i was changing my shirt.
so i went to feed the Punklet and she actually latched onto the left boob and was like nursing ferociously and all of sudden popped off and started flailing around and i notice my boob is like shooting milk everywhere like a damn squirtgun and it was spraying her in the face :-O

has that ever happened to anyone??? i almost died laughing.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yes! It is pretty funny and I remember being in total shock the first time it happened, just as you said like a squirt gun! I didn't know if I should catch it, stop it, keep it from soaking me or the baby. The joys!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 115  Next