| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 113  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ive managed to squirt myself in the eye once... lol dont ask

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:41 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ahahahahah!!!

the wonders of boobs

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Heh. Freya sometimes now says "skirt! Mommy skirt!" (squirt) It doesn't happen very often at all anymore, but sometimes if we've gone a long time during the day and she pops off mid-feed, some will fly right by her nose and she thinks it's hilarious.

F's been really interesting in talking about boobies/milk lately while nursing, which is quite entertaining (most of the time). She checks out nipples and will say in seriously voice "milk, mommy, drink" or tell me if she wants to lay "down" or use the "pillow". Yesterday, she was in this routine of talking about how we "drink" milk and then after one pop-off, she instead looks and me and says "milk....godt" (Norwegian for "good"). That's right sister, that milk is good stuff!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:10 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Today is my last day of pumping. Actually, I didn't even bring my pump to campus with me. It had been my goal to get through the semester and then stop-- and then a few weeks ago M just started refusing all bottles. So he's been not nursing at all while I'm away from him, which feels a bit like pumping for nothing. So I guess the timing is working out perfectly.

In June he'll start going to preschool 5 days a week. My commute is such that I'll be away from him like 13 hours a day every day. I'm terrified he is either a) going to starve to death or b) spend every moment we have together hooked to my boob.

As much hassle as pumping's been, I still feel totally unready for change.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

13 hours every day - that sounds really hard! Good luck and I am sure M won't starve to death!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:41 pm 

I think it's really hard to stop pumping, at least it was for me, but after the first few days of it I was so happy about the change. It didn't end our nursing relationship (my big fear) and we all adjusted.

I hope it goes well for you, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Good luck, C&S! I am so scared to stop pumping, but I only have two weeks of school left.... So we'll see. Sounds like M is making your choice easier though!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:28 am 
Semen Strong

Good luck C&S! That sounds like a hard commute, and I hope not pumping means that the day becomes a little more manageable for you! You're so inspiring going back to school with a baby and kicking asparagus while doing it!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ohh, good luck C&S! Hopefully its not too hard of a transition *hugs*

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:49 am 

Oi, good luck. M sounds like he's going to be just fine w/o the pumped milk. You are amazing going back to school with a toddler and a three year old.

(I have a secret fear of Freya turning three..this is the hardest year, imo :p)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:28 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

aw c&s it is bittersweet isn't it (even though pumping sucks bigtime). I stopped a few weeks ago because I was down to getting just one 4oz bottle a day...Sierra's a year old and a formula bottle is just fine for now and she's eating a tonnn of solids, like anything she can get her hands on, plus nursing at least twice overnight. Anyway, it feels weird after doing it for so long (although actually I only started pumping at work once she started staying home, so only like 8 months ago but man, 8 months was PLENTY long enough for me)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Audrey wrote:
aw c&s it is bittersweet isn't it (even though pumping sucks bigtime). I stopped a few weeks ago because I was down to getting just one 4oz bottle a day...Sierra's a year old and a formula bottle is just fine for now and she's eating a tonnn of solids, like anything she can get her hands on, plus nursing at least twice overnight. Anyway, it feels weird after doing it for so long (although actually I only started pumping at work once she started staying home, so only like 8 months ago but man, 8 months was PLENTY long enough for me)

Wait, Sierra is a year old? When did that happen?!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:29 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

haha yeah totally, I ask myself that question (it was 10 days ago actually)...she sorta still looks like a 6month old but as I expect this to be my last baby, I'm totally fine with that. Wish she'd freakin' sleep thru the night finally but yeah that's another thread...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm excited for you C&S - change is always a little tough in the beginning, but I bet you will feel so free soon!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:33 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Thanks guys! I know I just have to roll with it, whatever happens.

I'm going from being away about 9 am-11pm twice a week (plus 9-6 a third day) to being gone 5am-6 or 7 pm five days in a row. It's just until September, which is the only thing that's making it seem tolerable right now. (Well, that and that it's a great career opportunity, work I like, money we need, yadda yadda.)

It will be nice to not have to drag the pump bag around. I swear the thing reeks like Parmesan cheese.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

anyone else have a super messy nurser?
BabyPunk is soooooo messy.

we both end up covered in milk by the time we're done.

i dont know if it's because she's so small and the milk comes out faster than she can handle or if she just takes after her mom and is a sloppy eater but damn! everything i own is covered in boob milk

>_<

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It gets better (and worse) in stages. Curiosity- worse. Stuffy cold- worse. There are still times I want to cover myself with a tarp before nursing Will, but I think Charlotte will get tidier as she figures things out more!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:31 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

2 quick questions.

1. i have 2 get 2 small fillings on friday. novacaine and bfing are compatible right? google seems to be telling me that

2. when did people introduce bottles and pacifiers? ive had several instances lately where if i could have pumped ahead of time and had my husband have a bottle ready if necessary while im out it would have made my life a lot easier but i dont want to do it too soon. im not sure how i feel about pacifiers but BabyPunk does seem like a good candidtate

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:15 am 
***LIES!!!***

Novocaine is fine.

We introduced bottles before a week old (such is life). I think it is a myth that all babies will reject the boob if given a bottle too young, but there are definitely things you can do to improve your chances of not having nipple confusion. Most resources say wait until 6 weeks if you can on either bottles or pacifiers (and do not use "orthodontic" pacifiers - the one with the funny shape, they are supposedly not breastfeeding compatible) Couple of things about bottles - a) use the nipple with the smallest hole possible (depending on the brand these are called "newborn," "0" or "1"), b) use a bottle with a big, breast-shaped top - Avent and Tommy Tippees are good, there are lots of other choices like this, c) when feeding with a bottle, hold the baby in a sitting position with one hand while feeding with the other (it's awkward, yes), and only tilt the bottle just enough to have milk fill the nipple - make it as difficult as possible, and d) alternatively, you can dropper feed, spoon feed, or cup feed, and hold off on the bottles for awhile.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Huh, interesting Ariann. The 2 LC's I've seen both say the opposite about bottles for breastfed infants. They said that wide mouthed bottles like Avent, TT, Born Free, or wide mouth Dr Brown's are all bad for young breastfed infants and recommend a narrow nipple like the original Dr Brown's. As I understand it, wide mouthed bottle nipples encourage the baby to only take tip of the nipple in their mouth since they can't wrap their mouths around the wider part. By comparison, even a small-mouthed newborn can take the whole nipple in their mouth when it's a narrow nipple.

Also, remember that if it's important to you that your baby will take a bottle, make sure to keep offering the bottle regularly. I didn't do this with my older daughter, and it was a disaster when I needed to temporarily stop breastfeeding for medical reasons. She would not take a bottle no matter what we did.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:36 pm 

I waited until one month with my oldest, and before a week with the twins. Not ideal giving the bottle that young for sure, but twins make things a bit different.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, the LC I saw said "wide mouth" is the goal. Feels/looks most like a breast, so less likely to be rejected. If your concern is not rejection, there might be other issues at play. Nipples come in different lengths - a wide mouth on the bottle shouldn't prevent baby from taking in the whole nipple and a little of the surrounds (especially if it's one of the shorter nipple varieties). It was definitely never a problem to use a wide-mouthed bottle for us, but if the baby has a suck problem it might be a different story, in which case, seek professional advice.

On the other hand to all of this, it seems like some babies will reject bottles and some babies will start rejecting boobs if given lots of bottles, and some babies won't give a damn either way, and you don't know what kind of baby you're going to wind up with when you start, so, tread cautiously on all things bottle-related.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:44 pm 

Ahh, I see. Yeah, different reasons for the different recommendations it seems.

Ariann wrote:
On the other hand to all of this, it seems like some babies will reject bottles and some babies will start rejecting boobs if given lots of bottles, and some babies won't give a damn either way, and you don't know what kind of baby you're going to wind up with when you start, so, tread cautiously on all things bottle-related.

Truth! I have all three types. One ended up refusing all bottles, one is a terrible nurser and now is entirely bottle-fed, and the third is a great nurser who will also take bottles with nipples of any shape.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mine was one of those that decided the bottle was way easier then the breast and started refusing to breastfeed. We gave him a few bottles starting in the early weeks and it didn't seem to make a big difference - but around 8 weeks when he was getting 2 bottles a day (because I had thrush and it was sooo painful to nurse) he had a turning point and stopped nursing pretty much and nothing I could do would get him back to the breast. So next time I plan on waiting at least the 6 weeks recommended and then I will use something like a "breastflow" bottle that makes the baby work for their meal. If I didn't have to work I think I would make a no bottle rule and stick to it as long as possible because it was heartbreaking when he refused to breastfeed.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos hasn't nursed in a couple days. It is has been like this last couple weeks, only off and on. I don't know if we will ever nurse again. I am ready to be done and so happy we made it this far. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 113  Next