| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

interesting! maybe that is where i read it (in a section about supply issues)
ive been very lucky and not had any LOW supply issues. i had really bad oversupply for a really long time but that seems to have FINALLY worked itself out.

if y'all need me ill be sleeping for 8 hours :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

How is BPs sleeping going?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:50 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

sorry i totally missed that message before!

she goes back and forth between long nights and waking up often.

here's my new issue. BabyPunk seems to out of the blue showing signs of maybe reflux?

so here is my question, do growth spurts and teething make babies go bonkers?

all of a sudden she is like thrashing around and crying and spitting up during/after nursing. she also WHINES alot. just this horrible not stop whine noise. she does it during nursing.
i think a lot of it has to do with teething but i cant explain the spit up and the thrashing around like she's in pain.i just dont understand why all of a sudden at 5-6 months it would appear out of nowhere.

she had similar symptoms when she was a lot younger and i had an oversupply/overactive letdown but that seems to have FINALLY corrected itself and we had a few months of pretty peaceful nursing.

she even had a green poop yesterday.

i cant think of what im eating that could be casuing this.
my diet is basically the same but here are some things that i think might be potentially causing it??

coffee
chocolate
sugar (i will admit i have been eating more sugary stuff lately but i dont see how that would cause reflux)
garlic
soy
gluten

or
teething
growth spurt

i think she is definitely teething and i think she is also going through her 6 month growth spurt.
the weird thing is that the thrashing and spit up isnt EVERYTIME. this morning was horrible then just now she peacefully nursed for like 35 mins straight (see! growth spurt!)

ugh any insights?
she has her 6 month dr appt in 2 weeks but i cant take 2 more weeks of this

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Could be a growth spurt, but you're right, the spit up doesn't make since... Unless her nursing more from the pending spurt has re-activated your oversupply/letdown (is that possible?).

If you add/cut anything from your diet, remember it can take days to weeks to make a difference. In the meantime, you could start a rough food/nursing journal. Maybe things will work themselves out, but if not you'll have that info to look back on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

the green poop, the thrashing and spit ups lead me to believe it is growth spurt related because of the oversupply issue. Draw she look/seem gassy? Knees drawn to chest?

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i originally didnt think it was the oversupply issue because previously it was very obvious because i could hear her trying to keep up with the flow and if i delatched her milk would be spraying everywhere even like awhile after letdown.
lately it's rare for milk to be spraying everywhere if she delatches however today after reading the suggestions i delatched her pretty quick after let down and sure enough milk spray!
so i think maybe it's the overactive letdown?
that might also explain why she only seems to have issues sometimes and not all the time.
and would totally explain why first thing this morning was so bad since she had gone like 6-7 hours without nursing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:07 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh that too... I have an overactive letdown and Eli chokes and whimpers during feeds all the time... It's heartbreaking :(

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:28 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

is the infant vit D supplement considered enough vit D for babies or is it supposed to be in addition to what they get through your milk?

i had my blood drawn last week and apparently i must be vit D defecient because the pharmacy just called me saying my Rx for the megadose vit D is ready. (dr has not actually called me yet)

ive been pretty lackadaisacal about giving her her vit D supplement so i will make sure i do it everyday from now on.

the funny thing is i just upped my vit D dose from 1000IU daily to 2000IU daily because it's getting darker outside.

i go for a long walk everyday too so i get the sunshine.

why the heck am i vit D defecient?!?!?!?
i take the D 2 so maybe i should switch to D3?? :-(

(ok mainly my question is about whether or not BP is ok with the infant supplement and i dont need to worry about my milk lacking vit D sine apparently im defecient)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:41 pm 
Nooch of Earl

A lot of people are Vitamin D deficient, I have one friend in particular who sends out long PSAs around this time of year to take a supplement if you live in northern latitudes.. It's a little weird to me because my VA pediatrician was huge on it and here in San diego they're pretty "meh, whatever" about vitamin D. Now obviously there's more sun here but it's such a strange change!! Anyway I started giving V vitamin D drops around 6 months I think, and I wouldn't assume they get ANY from your milk. Cow's milk is fortified with vitamin D, it's not naturally occuring...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:03 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

A co-worker who last breastfed her daughter in the 70's asked me today how old babynut was (22 months).
Her: Oh you must be so glad that you're not nursing anymore!
Me: nope, still at it
Her: really???!! It's amazing what people do these days but it's healthy so...

She could barely swallow how shocked she was. It was just funny because I don't go around advertising that we are still nursing, but since she directly asked...just another reason I'm a weirdo at work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:23 am 
Not NOT A Furry

annak wrote:
A lot of people are Vitamin D deficient, I have one friend in particular who sends out long PSAs around this time of year to take a supplement if you live in northern latitudes.. It's a little weird to me because my VA pediatrician was huge on it and here in San diego they're pretty "meh, whatever" about vitamin D. Now obviously there's more sun here but it's such a strange change!! Anyway I started giving V vitamin D drops around 6 months I think, and I wouldn't assume they get ANY from your milk. Cow's milk is fortified with vitamin D, it's not naturally occuring...

yup, here in DK we start them at 2 weeks because we don't have much sun! I think just be consistent with the drops and you should be ok.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ohh, on that note about BFing over 1... we made our 1yr milkstone 2 days ago. Yay! No sign of stopping anytime soon either. He is a boobie monster!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:27 pm 
Naked Under Apron

oh yeah my mom has said to me at least 3 times this visit "When are you going to stop THAT?" Meanwhile of course Sierra is clawing at my shirt and yelping and I'm like "well, she doesn't seem to be done just yet", which cues my mom to say something like "I mean, I can understand doing it when she was a baby but.....". Now, that alone is progress because she was alternately horrified and annoyed at me doing it even then but still, I don't wanna hear it lady, and neither does Sierra! pretty sure my mom somehow blames Sierra being a more "difficult" child on the nursing because it's the main thing we've done differently. You know, no allowing for children to have individual personalities or anything, the culprit MUST be the nursing.
congrats to you Butternut and stuckunderhere for all the milestones...I can't believe we've made it to almost 18 months myself. There was definitely a point around 12 months I think where it slowed down a lot and Sierra wasn't that interested in nursing even after I came home from work, but she's back to a million little "sips" a day plus looong sessions in the morning before I leave.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

stuckunderhere wrote:
Ohh, on that note about BFing over 1... we made our 1yr milkstone 2 days ago. Yay! No sign of stopping anytime soon either. He is a boobie monster!

Us too! And no signs of losing interest here either--apparently her daddy nursed til 2 years, and uncle "would have gone til 4 if I let him" so she comes by it honestly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

congrats on the milestones! we have made it to 6 months!
and she must be going through her growth spurt because we've had a couple hour + nursing sessions this week.

i have no idea to tell if she's using me as a pacifier. idont really care but i always feel like she's eating.....after like 30 mins my husband is convinced she's just using me as a pacifier (he doesnt care either he just doesnt think she can possibly still be eating)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:56 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My sister is way over breastfeeding but can't quite figure out how to wean her 22 month old. She told me a little funny yesterday. She was nursing and told her daughter that "now that she was a big girl maybe it was time to quit nursing because only babies nurse" and without even completely unlatching her daughter clearly said "nope" and continued right on. She has a boobie lover for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Will nursed to almost 20m and I never heard a negative comment... Maybe I'm in a bubble?!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annak wrote:
and I wouldn't assume they get ANY from your milk. Cow's milk is fortified with vitamin D, it's not naturally occuring...

Yeah! The endocrinologist Beet got sent to ages ago said that breastmilk is, "very nutritious, but does not contain very much vitamin D."

annasrobbie wrote:
My sister is way over breastfeeding but can't quite figure out how to wean her 22 month old. She told me a little funny yesterday. She was nursing and told her daughter that "now that she was a big girl maybe it was time to quit nursing because only babies nurse" and without even completely unlatching her daughter clearly said "nope" and continued right on. She has a boobie lover for sure.

Hahaha! Beet, who nursed until he was 4, used to do the same thing!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:42 pm 
Married to the wolfman

annasrobbie wrote:

That made me laugh so hard.

M is still nursing once before bed on some nights and not on others. He has his 2 year molars coming in now and is suddenly asking for milkies allllllllllllllll the time. He actually fell asleep nursing the other night for the first time in like, forever, and it was really sweet.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Lisa, if you were talking about my baby I would say she was definitely comfort-sucking, because she won't feed for longer than 5-10 minutes at MOST, so if she were sucking for an hour it wouldn't be about food, but I think you've often said BabyPunk has long breastfeeding sessions, so maybe she is really hungry/growth-spurting?

Congratulations on the one-year milestones Stuck and Scandina!!

My question is whether anyone has any tips as to whether/how I can discourage Westiebaby from basically scratching/scraping with her teeth while she feeds? She's not biting me, just has her jaw not far enough open, I think, so when she's sucking her sharp little teeth [she has four] are putting a fair bit of pressure and have scratched through the surface of my skin so now it hurts even more [though it's much worse on one side... ]
If/when she used to bite I would take her off and wait a while before resuming the feed, but this feels different/I don't think she knows she's doing it so she wouldn't understand the consequence, it's just her lazy feeding style!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Do you think she has a shallow latch? Would you want to pop her off and then try and get a deeper latch?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:50 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

She definitely does, but that's mostly because she pulls her head back after she's on and even when I keep up pressure on the back of her head and lean forward as far as I can, she won't stop till she's pulled back and has hardly any boob in her mouth.
I can try re-starting over and over again I guess, but I worry she's likely to just give up and not go back on at all!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We had the bad/lazy latch problem for a while too. The teeth scraping drives me nuts! I just relatched him over and over. It got easier as he got older and I could teach him "open big" so he could get a better latch without having to pry his mouth off me mid scrape.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

mastitis can go F itself!! Ugh! I feel like crapola :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

oh no, SUH! I hope you feel better soon!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 116  Next