| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2866 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I only got bit a few times when the first tooth was coming in and it hasn't happened again. So I'm not sure what to suggest you do, but just reassuring you that most babies stop biting on their own! There might be a recurrence at some point but I think it's pretty uncommon for it to be a chronic issue.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Wrt the grinding/chewing part...would BabyPunk flip out if you broke the latch when she's doing this? F does this a lot, even still when she's nearly asleep, but most of the time, I can break free and just snuggle a bit. I've heard that you can offer something else chewy too, but I've not tried that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

no i think she would be ok if i delatched her.
the only reason i didnt last night is i was watching a movie with my in laws and they are totally pro bf'ing and all but i didnt feel like fiddling around so i just sat there wincing. hahaha

i hope she is a non-biter! some people seem to have a real problem with it but i guess you always read more about the bad experiences rather than people who have never had an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:13 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

LisaPunk wrote:
What methods did you guys find works to stop biting?
Then I've read to actually push their face into your breast tissue because it blocks their airway and they naturally stop because they are trying to breath. That one in not sure how it teaches them not to bite.

I'm not sure this teaches them not to bite -- I've always heard it's just a way to get them to let go! The first method (putting them down for a short time) worked for Sven, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:41 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I tried the NO and removal, but he screamed bloody murder every time. So I don't know now. I don't want to inflict pain or to stop him from breathing so he has to open his mouth, ya know? Soo... yeah, we are dealing with this here too. He is getting molars now. It hurts all over... every time!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Just popped in to say Vax ought to change his name to Sharkie sometimes. I swear, Beet & Raygold's teeth weren't that sharp. Oi.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:23 pm 
ol' garly cooch

My thoughts are with you nursin' mamas. That's why I started the thread. I remember when mine bit and I had to at times, pump and feed with a bottle. Other times I could just say, "NO" firmly and that was enough. It was frustrating, but they both got over it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Any tips for getting rid of a blocked duct? It's so painful and I really want to avoid mastitis... but all the tips I've seen seem to be for moms with tiny babies, not toddlers. tiny wu is not on board for the "let's just hang out in bed all day nursing" plan. Also, the block is on top so I can't stick her chin in it unless I hold her upside down under my armpit; not very sustainable.

Help please?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:06 am 
Semen Strong

Can you massage gently under a hot shower, maybe with some handexpressing? Also when tw is on just massage the clogged duct with your fingers to break up the clog.

Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by Tofulish on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Not original at all - but since my baby stopped nursing at 3 months and I solely pumped I had to deal with several blocked ducts without a baby to suction them out. My unoriginal method that always eventually worked was warm compresses followed by lots of massage to the area starting up above the clog and working my way down. It was usually quite painful and sometimes I made my husband do the massage because I just couldn't bring myself to do it firmly enough. I would do this frequently throughout the day until the clog worked its way out. Sorry you are having a hard time!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:04 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am also dealing with a blocked duct this am. But Lecithin Granules are awesome for that. 1tbsp per day in a small glass of OJ or apple juice. I stopped taking them and look at me now. Blah!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks everyone! I may have to look for lecithin at the HFS tomorrow. So far it's been more than 24 hours and while it's not getting worse it's sure not getting any better. The block is RIGHT next to my nipple which is making things difficult.

I am blaming tiny wu's teething latch (she latches on weird when she's getting a new top tooth) and how I fell asleep on my stomach on the floor next to her two nights ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh its definitely teething related here too... Right under my right nip. I am trying everything not to get mastitis again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:46 pm 

Freya is weird with teeth too...she has a shallow latch all the time, though so there were lots of plugs in the beginning. Heat heat heat worked the best for me with massage (which was a bit painful sometimes, as annasrobble describes). Do you still have a pump? You could give it a go with that too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:41 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

It is so much better today. I took some Lecithin again and omg, it really works!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:55 pm 

Someone just posted on our LLL group's FB page, asking if anyone had ever known a baby to freak out and scream at the breast. She went on to offer some details about her friend, who is having this trouble, and man, it was like reading a boobie biography. I don't think I've ever wanted to tell someone so much that "it will be ok". Whew.

Thanks again y'all for helping us through what Karl and I call "the troubles" now. I told Freya once, just a month or so ago about how she would cry and scream because she didn't want to nurse when she was a teeny baby...she laughed and laughed and said "Freya likes boobie milk". Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:37 am 
Not NOT A Furry

refinnej wrote:
Thanks again y'all for helping us through what Karl and I call "the troubles" now. I told Freya once, just a month or so ago about how she would cry and scream because she didn't want to nurse when she was a teeny baby...she laughed and laughed and said "Freya likes boobie milk". Sigh.

I'm giggling.

It took about three days but I finally got over that blocked duct. Now I'm wondering if anyone has tips about toddler nursing when out and about? In the last two weeks I've gotten both the "oh she's STILL nursing?" and the stink-eye. The official public health line here is to wean around 9 months so although BFing is common, people aren't used to seeing older babies nurse. I've been really relaxes about nursing around other people but now it seems to be getting harder. (tiny wu is almost 15 months now).

Sweetly, if TW doesn't fall asleep nursing, she pops off, tugs my shirt back down, and then waves at my breasts. Awww.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:35 am 
And you never will.

ScandinaVegan wrote:
In the last two weeks I've gotten both the "oh she's STILL nursing?" and the stink-eye.

I nursed poopieboy until he was 38 months, and quite a lot in public (although obviously it was less and less as he got much older). I definitely got a lot of comments like that, but I just smiled and said "yes, he is! isn't that great?!" I think my enthusiasm and looking people straight in the eye disarmed them enough that they just left me alone after that. I think you have to find a response that you're comfortable with and just go with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:59 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I basically started refusing to nurse V in public after about 18 months. I've never had any annoying comments or stinkeye but didn't necessarily want to test it. After a while they adjust expectations. …which is not to say that anyone should feel awkward nursing in public - I think it's great if they are and would certainly never want to make anyone feel uncomfortable (plus I'd be a hypocrite). But V was starting to pick up some embarrassing behaviors like trying to pull down my shirt while sitting in a shopping cart at the hardware store, so it just seemed easiest to set a consistent boundary. (We also traveled to Japan around that time, where NIP is much less common, and it was really tough trying to meet the local cultural standard of discretion with a toddler who primarily liked to nurse to fall asleep.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

poopiebitch wrote:
ScandinaVegan wrote:
In the last two weeks I've gotten both the "oh she's STILL nursing?" and the stink-eye.

I nursed poopieboy until he was 38 months, and quite a lot in public (although obviously it was less and less as he got much older). I definitely got a lot of comments like that, but I just smiled and said "yes, he is! isn't that great?!" I think my enthusiasm and looking people straight in the eye disarmed them enough that they just left me alone after that. I think you have to find a response that you're comfortable with and just go with it.

After a while, I started saying, "believe me, I never thought I would be nursing an [x] year old!" (Which was true the first time around.) Everyone acted like that was really reasonable. I wish I'd come up with that line sooner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Oh boy just when you thought teething couldn't possibly get any worse you get bit in the boob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:54 pm 
Semen Strong

My sympathies! That is the worst!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:55 am 

Ouch. I feel your pain. I still have a chewy toddler. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I do too, refinnej. We are going on 16months BFing now, and as much as I love it/him, I am not liking this new toddler nursing.... Sam was never like this and I BFed him til 25months. I think 2 is my limit now...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:48 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Hugs.

As far as clogged milk ducts go, I advocate for warm washcloths/hot water bottle compression followed by lots of hand expressing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2866 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 115  Next