| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

What meds are they?

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

http://www.babycenter.com/0_drug-safety ... ng_8790.bc

You're fine.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:32 pm 
Chip Strong

Thanks! It's something with steroids. According to that list it is fine. The doctor said she thinks it is but also said if Alice were a newborn she might recommend pumping before nursing again after taking it.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:17 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm late to the party but this is a great resource for finding out whether a medication is safe while nursing: http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:11 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm 34 weeks today and had a scheduled c section with no labor. I didn't expect at all to be able to produce anything, but I pumped and I produced enough for a feeding probably! So excitrd!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:22 pm 
***LIES!!!***

That is so great!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That's an amazing start! Our bodies are capable of great things!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

That's wonderful!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:56 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BabyPunk has this really annoying new habit. she wants to nurse CONSTANTLY. and i dont think it's a growth spurt because she's not actually eating she's just forking around.

she wants to nurse for a couple mins then try to push her up to sitting and then freak out and flail around and want to nurse again repeat repeat repeat then if i think she is done and try to put her on the floor to play she will whig out completely and go all riga mortis on me.

she basically wants to hang out at an all day milks buffet.

its kind of like "oh im hungry oh im done NO I AM NOT DONE,,,,hmmm ill have some more oh look shiny thing I AM NOT DONE WOMAN!"

ugh

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

LP, I'm a few more months in that you and BP, and Eli STILL does that all friggin day long! No matter how many ways I try to tell him no, he freaks the eff out!

It seems like it happens when he's bored, so I try to entertain him more lately, it will work 1 out of 5 times... we are getting there. Don't give up!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

A while back I mentioned the new twiddling habit. I was not delighted. On the bright side, tiny wu will now sometimes fall asleep at night without nursing--but with one hand down my shirt so she can still HOLD ON TO a nipple.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh my god, here too! I HATE the twiddling... I feel sooo touched out all the time because he still nurses like a newborn and at night it is constant and a twiddling to fall/stay asleep. Ugh!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

really hope BP doesnt figure out the twiddling thing.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Breastfeeding...I really want to enjoy it. I thought that since this was the second time around it would be so much easier, but it feels so much harder!!! This baby is smaller and has no head control so I have to use two hands for the entire nursing session, then he seems to spit up his entire meal all over me...and one day he will be wanting to nurse forever when I know that will just lead to overfull belly and spit-up and then today he barely wants to nurse at all - 5 min here and there. Two days ago I had rock hard engorged breasts I was having to pump before feeding him so he wouldn't drown...today I feel like they are nearly empty. Also his latch is really hit and miss - usually he latches really well and after a few minutes "slips" to a shallow nipple latch...drives a body crazy after it took a forever to get the latch in the first place...

Overall I do think things are improving...but seriously this shiitake is hard!

Anybody else have a spitter? Giles absolutely never spit up, so this came as a shock to me. Mostly he seems to be a fairly "happy spitter" suddenly barfing and then wanting to nurse again but sometimes he squeals and yells afterwards. Also, I am probably contributing to the problem here, but I cannot burp him! He screams and screams in any burping position, does not burp, and then 5 minutes later will spit up...although I guess spitting up counts as a burp? If you had a spitter, any helpful suggestions about reducing frequency/severity would be appreciated. The spit up is definitely less since I am not engorged or if I pump first (when I wasn't pumping first it would be pretty violent and come out his mouth and nose) but is still present at least half the feeds per day. Poor baby. He has plenty PLENTY of wet and dirty diapers so I hope he is gaining weight ok - I have his pedi appt on Thursday.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BP wasnt a huge spitter but one thing i noticed that help when we did go through bouts of pukeage is to keep her upright after a feeding. that seemed to help. even now occasionally if she nurses too much then like sits up (like on her own so actually in a sitting position rather than being held up) she sometimes will spew.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Wow. So I took the baby to the ped because the spit up thing was concerning me. She took a long time with me, listening to everything and then did an exam and said she thought he had a bad latch from a tongue tie and lip tie that was leading to him getting too much air which was causing the excess spit up and his gassy issues. She clipped his ties and now we see a lactation consultant to help us get a good latch...I sure hope it helps him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:22 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Good on you for following your gut, annasrobbie! I've heard a million stories of tongue/lip tie issues that were never resolved. I hope you can figure out that latch and the spitting up!

I know some babies will spit up with oversupply or an overactive let down, so maybe finding a position that slows the flow might be helpful as well. I bet an LC would be helpful with that as well if that's the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have over-active let down and a bit of oversupply, and both my babies have been happy spitters. I call it the "overflow valve." Press is now 7 weeks and it's been significantly better in the last week as I've learned what works for him.

I hope the tongue clip is your magic fix and good luck, momma!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:36 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes I think I do have some oversupply/overactive letdown going on...I do hope this clip thing was worth it. He has refused to latch at all since it was done (now nearly 24 hours) and we have been doing some painfully arduous bottle feeds where he is only getting 1-2 ounces every 2-4 hours which I know is not enough for his age. He has been trying to latch but doesn't seem to know how. I really hope the LC can get us going today!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:20 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

glad you found something that should be a fix! the breastfeeding group i used to go to literally all they talked about was tongue ties. hopefully that will fix things for you and im sure the LC can help you get a good latch!!

i had really bad oversupply and overactive letdown forever (and i think still have an overactive letdown) and what finally helped us was "laid back" nursing. i think "laid back" refers to a specific hold but it's basically laying back with the baby on top of you so gravity is working in your favor. this is supposed to help the baby control the flow more and send the signal to your breasts that the breaking of the Hoover Dam is not necessary and not to make gallons upon gallons of milk. it took awhile for it to work but i think it definitely helped us in the end. i basically lounge on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table. i more have her on my side rather than directly on top of me but nursing her on a nursing pillow was definitely a big no no for us.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So the baby was totally like the singing frog from Warner brothers cartoon. The LC came and he latched perfectly and ate a full feed (1.9 oz) and burped without incident and had not spit-ups and basically was perfect...this was after refusing to latch for the last 24 hours. I hope it continues. She had some good suggestions for tongue exercises for him because she said he still seems to have some restrictions for protruding his tongue, and she gave me some suggestions for helping his gassy tummy issues. She didn't really have any big suggestions for different latches for us...she said she thought the cross-clutch on the pillow was sufficiently elevated to allow him to drain off any excess milk he didn't want. She did point out his lower lip was a little asymmetric and so that was a potential point of air entry so she suggested basically putting more breast tissue in that corner. My doula friend said that chiropractic care might help that issue? I feel weird about chiro for a young baby but on my last visit there she showed how gentle the releases were that she does if she sees an issue so it might be something I will look into...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Chiropractic for a baby is really gentle and nothing like what you expect for adults. It's definitely worth a try and certainly can't hurt?? It's so cute to watch Press at his appts, you can totally see him relaxing as the chiro is doing her thing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:24 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

thanks for sharing your chiro experience! I go today for myself so I will explain his issue and see if she thinks she can help it.

Our success with latching was very short lived yesterday. He latched for me for a feed (after about 15 minutes of working at it) and then wouldn't do it again. It is so stressful! I have to remind myself it is NOT the end of the world if he doesn't latch, but it just makes me feel so crummy everytime he doesn't latch...and then this syringe feeding I am supposed to do, he screamed all the way through his last feeding. Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We went to the chiro today and had cranio-sacral therapy done...sounds like quackery to me but the La Leche lady insisted it was super helpful in cases like this. Interesting and somewhat worringly the chiropractor pointed out that sebastian has a cranial nerve VII deficit! He doesn't depress the right side of his mouth when crying and doesn't close his right eye always when he closes the left and doesn't have his "rooting" reflex on the right....it can be from malposition/trauma in the birth canal (improves on its own), congenital - stays the same but is nothing scary, or of course associated with scary bad things. I am thinking it might be genetic thoughbecause i have a sort of reverse elvis lip too when I cry.

Anyway nursing is still quite hit and miss..sometimes we have a good session, other times he pops on and off and on and off and yells until I give him a bottle. I think it is improving though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Hang in there annasrobbie! I have no advice to share but I think it's amazing how hard you're working on this. Hugs to you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next