| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Just a little update if anybody is interested in our saga. Sebastian is back on the breast but I think his latch is worse then it was before because he "clicks" nearly incessantly when he nurses now whereas it used to be very occasional. I am hoping it is something the LC can help us with. AND his spit up is a little better...I am not sure if it is because of the tongue clip or because my oversupply went WAY down during all these nursing woes. I would hate to think we put the little man through all that pain with the tongue/lip clip when it was all just due to oversupply! He still is extremely gassy and uncomfortable in the tummy. The Le Leche lady said there was a study done indicating that babies with tongue tie do not have normal gut flora and therefore she recommended probiotics for him. I am getting them today and hope they can help him get more comfortable/better digestion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm sorry that things are not super smooth for you annasrobbie right now. Didn't you have to pump exclusively for your first? It's so hard to let go of expectations. I had a hard time and I only imagined easy "natural" nursing so I know how frustrating it can be.

Good luck and I hope things get easier soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:06 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

annasrobbie, we had a similar experience with the osteopath....I don't really feel like it made a difference but was worth a try for us and one of my friends swears by it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So...I had the lactation consultant out again because Sebastian is nursing again but makes lots of clicking/latching unlatch type activities and is still SUPER gassy/tummy pain. She took a look at him and said she felt that he still has a posterior tongue tie issue...that either the job was incompletely done or has healed back partially. I think it is the former because when the LC saw him the first time she also felt he still didn't have good tongue range. Very frustrating - but the upshot is she feels that he is nursing well and although he doesn't have a "perfect latch" she said she really didn't feel that he was sucking in a tremendous amount of air. Basically she thinks the posterior tongue tie is a non-issue at this point and that his gas is due to something else. We are using gas drops and yesterday seemed to have some benefit with "colic calm" a homeopathic remedy. I just wish there was a quick and easy solution to this. She recommended a dairy free diet - ha ha ha ;) Otherwise she said he was obviously getting enough to eat and we should just keep doing what we were doing and hopefully he would "outgrow" some of it. Frustrating, but that seems to be what we are dealing with. I am thinking about a couple day trial of pumping and feeding him out of some anti-colic bottles and seeing if he does better with that, but since he doesn't suck from bottles well I am not sure he would be able to drink from something like a Dr. Brown bottle or not. Poor mite.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the diet thing is hard because dairy is always the first thing they eliminate which obviously isnt the issue here. what is in a vegan diet that could cause the baby to be gassy?

soy? nuts??

good luck! i remember the first few months of breastfeeding just being SO difficult it made me wonder how we survived as a species. thank god i had read somewhere or been told the first like 8 weeks of bfing is a mess and to just stick it out or i probably would have given up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Well as upset as I am that the poor baby is always so fussy and unhappy it makes it so much worse that his fussy and unhappiness is making my poor toddler to be fussy and unhappy. I really am considering going and staying at my parents place for a week or two to give my husband and son a break. It would give me a break too because my parents have a huge house where I could have a crying baby without fear of waking anybody up PLUS two extra sets of arms to hold him so I could nap...the only thing stopping me is I am terrified to fly with a fussy infant and a 14 hour drive is out of the question.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:01 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'm so frustrated. I tried nursing again but it went horribly since she closes her mouth the second anything goes in it, so I was screaming in pain since she was only getting the tip of my nipple.

And I've f-ed up my milk supply now because I had to return the hospital grade pump. With my pump, I'm possibly even more sore and I get 1/3-1/2 as much output. This stupid thing has me crying

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm so sorry Bastah :( Feeding issues are the most frustrating things ever.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Sorry to hear that, bastah! Do you have an LC you can call at the hospital or a local chapter of LLL? Give someone a call before you get even more frustrated/sore/discouraged. Hugs and hope things improve soon!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:52 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Definitely find an LC! You can rent hospital grade pumps from them and they can really help with latching issues. I know someone who taught their baby to nurse at 2 months, it can be done! Pumping totally sucks, but all the more so if you could be getting more out with other methods.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:36 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm sorry, bastah! If you see your OB, they can prescribe a hospital grade pump rental for you and the ACA requires your insurance to cover it without a copay if the doctor codes the prescription in the right way. And I agree, a lactation consultant can be incredibly helpful. Your milk supply can bounce back and it's still possible that she will breastfeed! Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:56 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, annasrobbie and bastah, but it's a bit of a relief to hear because we're really struggling, too. I feel better knowing that I'm not alone.

Jonah has only two modes when we try to feed, dead asleep and screaming. When he's asleep, we can't wake him with anything (nakedness, stimulation, changing his diaper, wet rags). When he's awake, he gets frustrated really easily and refuses to latch on or stay latched on. We've seen three lactation consultants, plus my MIL is a former lactation consultant, and it's too many cooks in the kitchen with too many differing opinions. And my MIL is really freaking out, which is not helping my stress levels. And my left nipple is cracked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:11 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Seriously, why is breastfeeding so hard?! I feel so bad for you both mollyjade and bastah! I understand the "too many cooks" analogy - that is what I feel like here with the pediatrician saying the tongue tie procedure went great and he just needs to improve latch, the LC saying the tongue tie procedure failed and his latch his fine, the le leche leader saying he looks good but NEEDS cranio-sacral therapy, and another peer insisting it is all reflux and I need to get him on zantac posthaste...oh and add my mother who says it is definitely the "bread" in my diet that I need to cut out...

We have been totally hit and miss with breastfeeding in the last few days. Some days I think "we finally have this down!" and other days we both end up hysterically crying... today started out great since I got 7 hours of sleep only interrupted by one overnight feeding (thanks to my husband who bottle fed him at 1 am) but then he was in an incredibly terrible mood all day, if he was awake he was yelling.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:12 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am sooooo thirsty when a breastfeeding session has been completed. Or right before one is about to commence. Ok really there is just all the time thirst going on! I googled it I thought it was so weird! Baby had mucousy poop, this morning after a bout of gassy tummy, so sad, now I just wonder if something I ate that upset him? Also that reminds me , we are no strangers to bout s of bad gas here and I have to take my probiotics again this week. They seem to be helping him thru the breastmilk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:13 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I am sooooo thirsty when a breastfeeding session has been completed. Or right before one is about to commence. Ok really there is just all the time thirst going on! I googled it I thought it was so weird! Baby had mucousy poop, this morning after a bout of gassy tummy, so sad, now I just wonder if something I ate that upset him? Also that reminds me , we are no strangers to bout s of bad gas here and I have to take my probiotics again this week. They seem to be helping him thru the breastmilk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:17 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Oh, I remember the thirst! I would sit down comfortably to nurse, start, and suddenly feel like I hadn't had anything to drink all day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:31 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you guys i dont think im going to survive toddler nursing.

i know this is all very typical but it's driving me batty.

anytime i lay down in the bed to nurse her either for bedtime or naptime it's like complete chaos. she will roll around, lay on her side and fling an arm or a limb in the opposite directly,stick her feet in my face, kick my phone away (i fiddle with my phone while she's nursing), straddle me and smush her face into my boob so i cant possibly imagine how she is breathing, etc. all of this is done while my nipple is in her mouth in between her razor sharp teeth and i just lay there and hold my breathe and pray she doesnt make a sudden jerky movement and tear my nipple straight off.

the one thing she hasnt done yet which ive seen is nurse while completely upside down. im sure that is something to look forward too.

it's mildly better when we nurse on the couch during the day but i still usually end up with a foot to the face at some point.

if the feet arent in my face she is constantly trying to push off on me with her feet. not sure where she is going but it's constant and it's making me crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, I understand. Lately Scarlett will pretty much only do it while in a downward-facing dog.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My boy is just two months old and I shiitake you not knows how already to do that pushing-off motion with both feet. He applies pressure to the arm of the chair with his feet and bends his nees and trys doing it to push away. He doesnt look stressed and I know hes not ready to come off the breast at that point sp its confusing why. Its like, are you already that bored? My daughter did this as well. Not at two months though she kindly waited awhile. Lol how sick of staring at my armpit , as my doula so succintly summed up baby's perspective, is he gonna be in a few months? I think our babies have spring (summer? ) fever and are restless!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

BP has always had really "active feet"
she kicked constantly basically from birth. once she figured out how to push off with her feet she started that too and it still hasnt ended.

i tell people she's going to be a soccer playing olympic swimmer rockette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:32 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

help me out ppk and please tell me im not in the beginning stages of mastitis.
for the last few days i have felt like total crepe. cold coming on. yesterday sore throat so bad that the previous night i couldnt sleep because my throat was burning so bad. yesterday it all traveled into my nose. all very typical of a cold for me when i get sick.
im achy and tired and feel like poo. im full of snot.

at the same time on my right breast i have a small red bump right next to the nipple, still on the areola. it's tender but not hard and it was semi painful to nurse. i thought it was from BP's gymnurstics and the fact that she like rolls around all over the place while nursing and takes my nipple with her and maybe her razor sharp teeth got me a bit. (i actually still think it's this. hope it's this)

last night she latched on and i screamed because it was so painful.
this morning again super insanely painful mostly during letdown but still painful through the entire session. afterwards the little red spot looks like a little bit like an open cut. like it was moist (hard to describe). i think the red spot is maybe a milk duct but to be honest im embarassingly not up to speed on my own body parts

im thinking i have a plugged duct and by coincidence i also have a cold??

both BP and my husband have a little bit of the sniffles now and i think if it was actually mastitis i wouldnt be contagious for the sniffles RIGHT?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Nope not contagious for mastitis afaik! Sorry you are in pain! I think you could be right that it is a plugged duct. When I had mastitis (not with this kiddo! Knock wood) I had only a super high fever and verrryy painful, engorged- from trying to favor one less painful side- breast. If it seems like only the skin surface is affected to like the first layer down of skin tissue ( I know, so scientific!) Maybe a boil? That would hurt when nursing! Mastitis is like DEEP in the breast feeling. Once the painful shooting nipple pain abates that is. Even if it is the last thing you will want to do, if it is a plugged duct in the beggining stages, super gently massaging it to loosen it up may help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:17 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok phew. i really think it is crappy cold plus possible plugged duct. i have a really low grade fever (99.5) so no high fevers and no pain deep inside the breast it really is all right on the one spot. ill just keep letting her nurse on that side and grit my teeth.

we're going to the beach today so maybe some salt water will do it good. i kinda want to stay home and sleep all day but having a baby doesnt seem to jive with that plan. maybe my parents will entertain her and ill sleep on the beach. hmmm sounds good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:13 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I hope you feel better soon LP! Massage, heat, and pointing babies nose toward the area of the plugged duct during nursing is supposed to help! I hope you do get to laze around and take a nap on the beach while the grandparents watch BP!

Poor Sebastian and I are still limping along with our nursing. We are doing a combination of nursing and pumped milk in bottles. He is doing SO much better with the gassiness/fussiness. I think it was adding daily probiotics that made the difference (although now his gas smells AWFUL - could it be the new bacteria in his system?) Anyway, Sebastian will nurse if the breasts are full, but he doesn't empty me, so to maintain a slight oversupply I have to pump frequently which has been really hard to do with a toddler and newborn. It is actually easier just to pump and not nurse because then I am not waiting around to feed baby, and have baby to deal with while I pump. I am trying to decide if we are going to to mostly pumping or not. I have an issue with feeding a little boy soy formula...I have read too much about hormonal disruption to feel comfortable with that...so that would mean buying the cows milk formula if I don't pump and of course I'm not cool with that either. Hopefully as he gets older he will do better with nursing? He has gotten pretty aggressive when he nurses too - or maybe it just seems that way since I am a little sore from all the pumping!

How are you guys doing with your new babies and the breastfeeding Mollyjade and Bastah?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So I am pretty much exclusively pumping for this little guy...I said I would never again do it, but I want this little mite to have breastmilk and this seems the only way he is going to get it.

So because I am pumping and have built up a little oversupply I decided this time around I would like to donate to a milk bank....I was horrified to be rejected as a donor. They gave me 3 reasons I was disqualified #1 I had accupuncture in the last year, #2 I have traveled to Korea near the DMZ within the last 5 years, and #3 I have a history of HPV. The first 2 issues I feel are non-issues but #3 freaked me out! I had never ever heard that HPV could potentially be transmitted through milk so I went looking for papers - I found one 2008 study that said they found HPV in breastmilk and felt it could potentially be transmitted to baby although then a 2010 study says there is no confirmation of actual transmission of HPV from mother to infant through breastmilk. Looking on the American Academy of Pediatrics and CDC websites nobody mentions HPV being a condition transmissible through breastmilk so I guess it is just an extra precaution that the milkbank takes since the milk goes to preemies? (I also found a paper stating that certain pastuerization techniques were effective in deactivating the virus in milk) Anyway I am sad that I can't donate my milk because from the reading that I have done it seems like a non-issue...but I might be missing something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next