| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:50 am 
Chip Strong

That's bizarre, annasrobbie! There must be like five people in the country who qualify. Have you thought about donating directly to someone locally through humanmilk4humanbabies? I donated a ton that way. The AAP hates informal milk donation and is on a mission to make it illegal but as of now it's not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:19 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I did donate through HM4HB with my first baby - but now that I have been disqualified as a milk bank donor I would feel kind of weird trying to donate. Especially the HPV thing...I mean it looks like not an issue, but I guess it is still kind of a grey area? I can't even freeze milk to use for my own baby because I have that stupid lipase issue - after about 3 weeks the milk seriously as a vomit aftertaste (where are those little "smiley" puke guys when you need them!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:34 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

why is acupuncture something that disqualifies you?

i would say if you really want to donate go through a local breastfeeding group or LLL and see if they know any individuals that want me rather than through a milk bank.

i thought about donating since i dont seem to have any issues producing milk but i take an antidepressant so i think that is a big one people dont like

edit: also i had to google what DMZ meant but now im confused how that would affect breastmilk? is there some sort of pollutant there? sorry just curious.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Any type of needle insertion such as tattooing, piercing, or acupuncture is considered a risk for contracting blood borne disease like hepatitis if proper precautions are not taken. The Korea thing I think is ridiculous! Apparently any area with malaria puts you on the no-no list...but seriously five years?! If i had malaria it would have shown up by now!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh ok. the malaria thing makes sense but yeah i agree 5 years is a bit long!

the acupuncture thing seems a bit ridiculous but i guess they need to have standards and take precautions

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That sounds really frustrating. Have you tried scalding the milk before you freeze it?
If you really want to donate, you could still post on something like hm4hb like someone else suggested. Just list it like you described it here and if someone is okay with it, cool. If not, you tried?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Having hung out a lot online with women who use donor milk. I would say the phase thing is probably your biggest issue. A lot of women are looking to build up freezer caches and are super bummed when they find out their is a lipase issue, but many use milk from donors who are on medications or have other issues that would disqualify them from milk banks. Scalding has been recommended in those forums many times.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks for reminding me about scalding, I had forgotten about it. It is a super pain to do and I hate how it affects the nutrients in the milk, but it is nice to know there is a little back-up milk in the freezer in case something goes wrong with the pumping (like leaving your cooler full of milk in the heat for a full day).

Speaking of pumping - I bought myself a brand spankin' new pump for this time around. It is a Spectra S1. Not a brand I had ever heard of before, but seriously this thing seems great so far. It is so quiet I can carry it into my sleeping babies room and not wake him up! And it has a lithium battery in it so I can get up and carry it to a different spot while I am pumping and it doesn't affect suction at all (it isn't small like a freestyle, but being able to grab it up and go check on the baby or stir the soup on the stove is huge for me!). It also empties me quicker and seems overall gentler to me then my medela PIS is. The only drawback I see so far is that the flanges and parts are not compatible with the medela brand AND can't be purchased locally AND are on the expensive side of $45 a pair. Otherwise if you know somebody who is looking into buying a pump (or their insurance offers this brand) I am pretty much in love with it :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:20 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

annasrobbie wrote:
Any type of needle insertion such as tattooing, piercing, or acupuncture is considered a risk for contracting blood borne disease like hepatitis if proper precautions are not taken. The Korea thing I think is ridiculous! Apparently any area with malaria puts you on the no-no list...but seriously five years?! If i had malaria it would have shown up by now!

I had malaria in August 2006, and started BFing Sam in April 2009 (yes, I know, he was born in Nov 2008... that's another story). I don't think I would have been allowed to donate even if it had been over 2yrs. Stupid eh?

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:45 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

We're exclusively pumping, and it's working so much better for us now. We were both getting so frustrated trying to get a good latch, and then we ended up having to pump afterwards anyways. This takes much less time and is much less stressful.

And being completely honest, it also helped that my MIL left. She was just adding to the pressure and stress, even though she was great about helping with cooking and chores. I just didn't need someone telling me at 3 AM that she was worried my milk would dry up because Jonah wasn't feeding well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

How is pumping going for you MollyJade? There is a forum on Baby Center Community dedicated to Exclusive Pumping that I have found to be super helpful when I had questions or just was having a rough day with the pumping.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:00 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i just wanted to say that those of you who are doing exclusive pumping are totally badass.
i can only imagine the effort and time it takes.
i think it's super awesome how dedicated you are to your goal.

high fives all around you guys are awesome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:00 pm 

I know a lot of people struggle with it, but I'm finding it really easy. I have a hands-free pumping bra, and I use the time to read or use the internet. And I only need to pump six times a day. I refrigerate the pump parts between uses, and throw everything in the dishwasher.

Trying to nurse was really stressful, so this is so much better for us.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:16 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm glad it is working out well for you! I find it so difficult because it seems baby or toddler always need me while I am pumping and because I want to try to create a bit of oversupply so that I can eventually drop pumps while still making enough, so I am trying to pump 8x a day with at least 1 "power pump" session. I am making 40 ounces per day currently so if I can boost that just a little bit more I think I will be in a pretty good spot when I return to work/drop pumps/hit the 3 month mark where supply takes a dip...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:23 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I second Lisapunk's admiration of you pumping ladies! My damn body just never ever adjusted to the pump and I don't think I ever pumped more than 4oz (total from both sides), and most often it was like 3 oz. per 30 minute session. I quit pumping pretty much the day Sierra turned 1. Those handsfree bras are the best though!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:37 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

So I forgot to post an update. I've been exclusively pumping. It's not too bad at least. Oh and my milk supply did bounce back up. I make about double what she eats in a day, at the moment. I don't know if I should start pumping less.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

How many ounces are you pumping per day and how many sessions are you doing? It is generally recommended to keep up frequent pumping until supply is well established around 12 weeks. Having done this once before, I am trying to create an oversupply this time around so that I can hopefully drop down to 4 pumping sessions per day. I don't know if that will be possible or not for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:37 am 

I'm doing 5 sessions (which I've been doing since she was a month old). I'm pumping an average of 35 oz a day. It has been over 12 weeks, so it might be ok? I want to do 4 as well!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:53 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what are doing with the extra? big freezer stash?
i would just make sure you have extra on hand for when she hits a growth spurt.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:54 am 

Jumping in, I'm pumping 5-7 times a day, producing around 30 oz, and feeding Jonah about 28 oz. And I start work on Thursday. Crossing my fingers that pumping at work goes OK. I suspect I'll be in a file room with no lock. :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:56 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

That is great supply! So your baby is only taking around 20 opd? I personally would probably keep the 5 pumps a day for awhile if it is manageable with your schedule because I have read that alot of women lose a significant number of ounces when moving from 5 to 4 and I would probably want to keep the 35 ounces as insurance should baby get a bigger appetite (the average for this age range is 24 to 30 I think). My baby was eating 18-20 and then over the last several weeks has become a little piglet and slowly increased and is now taking 30-34 opd. I had to maintain 5-6 pumps my entire EP year with my firstborn because I would start to decline in ounces if I went to 4...I am hoping for better things this time around. I currently make 45opd and just cut back from 7 to 6 pumping sessions per day without the loss of any ounces so fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:41 pm 

Wow, she's definitely eating much less than your babies. We feed her all that she will eat though. She's growing well, so I won't worry. I'll keep up the 5 pumps then. I'm worried about keeping that up at work though.

And yes, I have a toooon of milk in the freezer. I wish it would last longer than 3 months.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

mollyjade wrote:
Jumping in, I'm pumping 5-7 times a day, producing around 30 oz, and feeding Jonah about 28 oz. And I start work on Thursday. Crossing my fingers that pumping at work goes OK. I suspect I'll be in a file room with no lock. :(

I produced around 30 opd with my first baby and we made it to 11.5 months without having to supplement! Definitely make yourself a door sign for that file room AND maybe get a door wedge! It was one of my nightmares that someone would walk in on me while pumping - even in my locked office with a "do not disturb" sign up I was walked in on twice but they didn't make it past the privacy curtain ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:05 pm 

annasrobbie wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

I produced around 30 opd with my first baby and we made it to 11.5 months without having to supplement! Definitely make yourself a door sign for that file room AND maybe get a door wedge! It was one of my nightmares that someone would walk in on me while pumping - even in my locked office with a "do not disturb" sign up I was walked in on twice but they didn't make it past the privacy curtain ;)

I'm not worried about people coming in the normal door, but the warehouse staff (ground floor) use this as a cut through to the second floor. They use a hydraulic lift to raise boxes to the second floor to a little cubby door that's just a gaping hole to the floor below when it's open. There's no way to lock or block this door, and I can't safely put a sign on the outside of it. I should be pretty safe at lunch, since they all reliably eat at the same time. But I'll probably need to pump a second time in the afternoon.

I'm crossing my fingers I find a better place to do this, but I know the last woman to pump at work was doing it in her car in the parking lot, so I'm not really optimistic. (She, unsurprisingly, quit to be a SAHM.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

That sounds totally unsatisfactory MollyJade! I do hope you can find a more comfortable/private spot. I guess you could wear a nursing cover while you pump in the meantime? Good luck on your return to work overall!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next