| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bastah wrote:

And yes, I have a toooon of milk in the freezer. I wish it would last longer than 3 months.

You can keep breast milk in the freezer up to (some sources even say more than) a year!

And kuddos to you pumping moms! That is awesome dedication!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i went to a bfing class while i was pregnant and the LC that ran it was saying the same thing. that there was some research now saying breastmilk still had alot of the goodness in it even after being frozen for up to and over a year.

the official literature they handed out says something totally different but it sounds like there is research supporting it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:06 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Good news. There is a lock on the file room normal door, and the cubbyhole door is currently blocked by a giant filing cabinet that hasn't been picked up by facilities yet. Hopefully that lasts until the student staff changes in September.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:05 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Awesome! I really feel that I wouldn't be able to relax enough for a good letdown if I thought someone was going to pop in on me at any second!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:28 pm 

There's going to a Breast Pump hackathon at MIT, which is really cool.

Quote:
MIT says that maternal and neonatal health is a space that “lags behind others” in innovation, and they want to change that. Plus, breast pumping flat-out sucks. As MIT points out on its website:

"The motor is loud. There are too many parts. They are hard to clean. You can’t lay down and pump. There is no good space to pump. It’s hard to keep track of what you pump. Your colleagues think pumping is weird. People are skeeved out by breastmilk. People are embarrassed by breasts."

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/bl ... hackathon/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

That's pretty great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i thought i was going to get away with not nursing any toys since BP hadn't thought of it yet but today i got to nurse her favorite bear and then later one of her dollies.
she was very deliberate about it to so i know that was what she was thinking. she was sitting on me while we were laying in bed this morning and she pulled my nursing tank down and shoved her bear on my nipple.

:-P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Nursing toys is so much fun...I'm glad I'm not the only one doing it. But guess who hasn't really nursed in OVER A WEEK. Me. That's who.

I am probably cursing this by admitting it to others, but last week I got sick and had a high fever. My partner took over bedtime duty for several days to give me a break. Since we had recently cut back to only nursing right before bed, that meant no nursing at all. I'm better now, but I have asked my partner to keep up with bedtime duty until she is officially done with nursing. I'm not sure how long that will take (for either of us). She is still upset about it, asks about it, and tries to grab my boob, etc. That is a bit heartbreaking, but I'm ready to take this opportunity to move on to the next stage. I have mixed feelings about it and I feel myself waffling when she talks about it, but I know it's the best thing for both of us if we move on. It's habit more than anything else on her end and I'm trying to make sure I'm giving her extra cuddles when we are together. We just need new habits.

*crosses fingers* YAY!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:43 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

good luck Butternut! im sure it's a tough thing to go through but it seems like it's the right time for you so hopefully after the idea of the habit is broken she'll sort of forget about asking and cuddles will be enough!

considering how often BP still nurses i am relatively certain she will be the one child who will still be breastfeeding in college.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:48 am 
Naked Under Apron

Oooh Bnut you are really almost done! that is so cool, but bittersweet I know.
Sierra is also down to just nursing before bed. She doesn't even ask at other times anymore but sometimes she will put on this very cute lil face and voice and point at my boobs "milkies!" She has a certain tone of voice reserved just for talking about nursing. And when she comes to sit on my lap or something sometimes she will make this like slurpy "yum yum" sound, like she is anticipating just being near the milk! I feel bad because essentially nursing is just a bedtime crutch for us; after all the sleep difficulties we've had that have resulted in her sleeping in our bed for the last 6 months make me reluctant to change anything. But she's 2 and a half and I'm sure ready to be done!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I was wondering who else is still nursing their toddlers! It seems like there hasn't been as much talk about it lately. Just thinking about this since tiny wu just turned 2 (yes! I can't believe it either!) and is still going strong. She nurses at least 4 times a day, plus 2-3 times at night for bedtime/wake-ups. I'm mostly cool with it, but I just realized that at her 1 year doctor appointment, they asked if she was still nursing, and I said yes but we'd re-evaluate when she was two. And now I'm about to tell them the same thing this year, but subbing "three" in there.

We've been traveling a lot lately and I have developed this love/hate relationship with travel nursing since it is awesome that my kid is calm and happy and sleepy on the plane (due to delicious and soporific milk) but horrible that I can spend possibly 4+ hours of a flight with a toddler hanging off my nipples!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We are 1 week away from our big 2yr milestone here and still going strong. He nurses constantly at night and about 4-5 times a day. I am pretty much DONE, but I promised myself I'd get to 2 and then see about night weaning...

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm nursing 2-3 times a day and am happy to keep going as long as Scarlett wants it. It's a nice bonding time since I work a lot. Occasionally I will be at work for 24 hours and don't feel full at all, so I don't think I'm making much milk at all anymore. I just donated the last 40 or so oz I had in the freezer, which was bittersweet!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:15 pm 

She's almost two and a half, by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:54 pm 

So impressed with all you long-term breastfeeders! Especially night feeding.

I had a plugged duct yesterday. It's cleared up, but my production in that breast is nearly nonexistant now. I know it will come back eventually, but since that breast represented 2/3 of my supply, I'm kind of anxious about it. Especially since we're getting ready to start feeding solids soon, and that's a really important time period for breastfeeding for us.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh we co-sleep or I would NOT be night feeding at this point. LOL

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:20 pm 

Still impressed!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:59 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, I was just recommending this forum to someone tonight and came for a look as I haven't visited much lately at all. Freya has just decided that we're done, I think, and I can't help but recall so very many kind and helpful comments from the PPK members back during our troubling days. She got a cold the weekend before Halloween and didn't want to nurse on Saturday. I figured she was just stuffed up and sick/tired, but then she didn't ask again until Monday or Tuesday (usually a couple of times/day before then including at least 90% of the times before sleep). I turned the conversation to something else to see if she would ask again in a few minutes and she never brought it up again. We've had something similar happen maybe twice since then and one naptime we nursed because she was super tired and upset about something (I forget what), but that lone session was over two weeks ago. So, I'm not 100% sure that this is it, but it's looking that way. I had planned to start some more mommy-led weaning around 3, but the little monkey's decided to do it herself! I've been thinking lots about a way to mark the occasion. I only just recently heard about "milk necklaces" where a bit of the breastmilk can be preserved in the necklace (in some sort of plastic/silicone, I think). I've been pondering some ink for me (I was going to do it if we reached a year, but was too tired then!) but I love the idea of the necklace for Freya.

So so freaking emotional! I never thought we'd make it to 35 weeks, let alone 35 months. Whew.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Seems so bittersweet! on the one hand i can imagine a bit of relief at finally being done (at least i think i will be a bit relieved) but at the same time it's something really special! yeah i can imagine all the crazy emotions associated with it!

let us know if you figure out something to mark the occasion. it's a bit of a tough one to figure out something special.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My goodness, refinnej, I was just wondering about you and Freya the other day--it's been awhile since we heard from you here!

What a big girl she is getting to be, and what a devoted and determined mama you are. Good for both of you, I say. I hope you find a special way to commemorate this and that you treat yourself to something special too!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We're at 25 months and no end in sight lol I told hubby that I think he'll be in college and still asking for his neh-neh's LOL! No, but seriously, I think my limit is 2.5-3yrs old because it is at the point where it is no fun anymore. He is very demanding and it seems like he will never sleep through the night if this doesn't end at some point soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:55 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Does anyone have suggestions for nipple cream? Baby isn't yet here but I hear that its a good thing to have and I see that most are lanolin based.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

when i felt i needed something i just used coconut oil.
it also has antimicrobial properties so it's good for bebe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:53 pm 

As far as I know the only thing made specifically for that purpose that is vegan is Earth Mama Angel Baby. You could also use coconut oil, or just let some colostrum or milk dry on your nipples.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:37 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Nipple cream is just one of those things that I couldn't find a good vegan product for. Coconut oil works great for pumping, but when I was actually nursing I didn't think it or even the Earth mama balm was any good. I ended up buying a non-vegan beeswax based product (motherlove)

ETA: Definitely give the Earth Mama kind a try though - I had Major nipple trauma from a really poor latch which is why I needed something more on the heavy duty side.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116  Next