| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:33 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Alice stopped nursing about a month ago. Almost five years of continuous nursing between her and Ada! Out of curiosity I tried to express some milk tonight and some came out right away. For those of you that have stop stopped nursing, how long did it take for you to stop producing milk?
Also, does anyone have a bra recommendation? I am still wearing my nursing bras (even though Alice has been done with daytime nursing for ages now) but I don't think I could go back to bras with wires. And I have no idea what size I am or if it's going to change after my milk actually dries up. I've been using the Bravado seamless ones and I almost just want to keep buying those and using the conversation kit to switch the latch thing. Ha. So basically I want a bra similar to that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

No advice about bras (I love wired ones), but I was able to express milk almost a year after stopping nursing. My understanding is that it takes a long time to totally stop producing milk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:50 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I am still producing milk and Vax weaned in October or November and I still get milk crusties on my nipples and in my bra!
It was still affecting my periods, too! I still had a short luteal phase and semi-irregular cycles until I started using a dab of progesterone cream every day after ovulating.

And no bra advice, alas! Mine were back to a 32not-quite-A when I got pregnant. My best luck with bras that fit my tiny boobs is TK Maxx, but I don't know what size you are. I'd've still been wearing nursing bras if they still fit!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:33 pm 

Bodies are so fascinating. I guess I always just figured my body would just stop producing milk right away. My periods have also been irregular so I was hoping they would just start getting more normal. Also, it's really weird not to be nursing anyone anymore.

I used to wear wired bras all of the time pre kids (I was a 34b or c. I can't even remember). Now I have no idea what size I am because all of the nursing bras I have are just medium.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:04 pm 
Semen Strong

My milk dried up a lot earlier than Leela would have liked. It was a super bummer but I thought I was making less and less but she was still nursing and nursing, until one day she told me there wasn't any left. She would still nurse all the time, but it feels more annoying to nurse when you don't have any milk, I find.

So I've stopped nursing (probably around when L turned 4) but she hasn't stopped wanting it.

This makes me feel a bit guilty because I had wanted to let her choose when to stop, but hey what can I do if my body just quit the milk business?

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:07 am 

Tofulish, nursing one kid for 4 years is amazing! I nursed Beet for 4 years, too. <3

Raygold nursed for 2-3/4 years and Vax nursed for just shy of 2-1/2 years and stopped really suddenly. It was kind of sad. Plus, I can't use boob control when he gets out of hand. I am gonna try to nurse the caboose baby forever. (You know what I mean.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Tofulish, I was actually just wondering if Leela was still nursing. I'm sorry it wasn't the end you wanted. TW announced two weeks after her 3rd birthday that she was done, seemingly out of the blue, but I'm pretty sure the pregnancy had something to do with it.

Crabby, I definitely miss having a magic calm down and reconnect tool. TW has asked a few times since MW was born if she can nurse too. I told her yes, but she never actually wants to, just to know she could, I guess.

Sashi, I really like wireless bras too. Once TW was nursing less frequently I went right back to regular stretchy bras. H&M has a number of inexpensive soft, Jersey/mesh/lace bras you could try. (Here H&M is kind of like Target, which we don't have).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont have any advice re: bras. i hated underwire bras even before i got pregnant i cant imagine wanting to wear one again. but it's so hard to find any without wires. what the fizzle is with underwire bras! i hate them!

for those of you who nursed kids past 2ish did any of you have a kid who still wanted to nurse CONSTANTLY even when they were pretty old? im pretty sure if i allowed it BP would be attached to my boob 24-7.

i so badly want to be done nursing because it drives me crazy but with all her tooth issues i felt i couldnt cut her off. ive been pretty consistant with only allowing her to nurse 4 times a day (when we wake up, pre nap, post nap, and to fall asleep at night) and she was temporarily night weaned for awhile but we went backwards on that one when she started cutting her last molar and was in so much pain.

it's been soooooooo long since i let her nurse just because she wanted to and she still asks to nurse CONSTANTLY. i dont envision her ever willingly giving it up.

i actually "left" last night so she would spend the entire night with my husband to try to foster some confidence in her that she can survive without me. she had never spent the night away from me before in her 3 years of life. (we have a finished basement so i told her i was going to visit a friend and then went and slept in the basement. it was glorious). apparently it went well. she went to bed really late which we figured would happen and took a long time to fall asleep (it takes her a long time to fall asleep even nursing to sleep), woke up around 2am and asked for me and my husband told her i wasnt there and apparently she just went back to sleep. then she slept til like 9 am. sooooo when im there she wakes up 10000x a night and then really early in the morning.
we're planning on doing this plan of having me sleep in the basement several times this summer because i will legitimately be going away for a couple days in mid august. i love the idea of letting the child choose when to wean but it's really negatively impacting my life and i think if i let her choose she would be one of those kids nursing at 8 years old.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:29 pm 

Oh Tofulish, I'm sorry it happened sooner than you both would have liked. Four years is pretty good though!
Alice was only nursing before bed before she stopped and she kept saying that there wasn't milk. Then she would stop for a couple of days and try again. And then cry that there wasn't any milk. Clearly there is still milk but it must just be so little or have a different taste or something? Eventually she said "I wish you could go to the store and get more milk to nurse" and it just broke my heart. I cried with her a couple of times. She hasn't asked to nurse again since about a week after that last time she did. She still won't let her dad lay down with her at bedtime though unless I go out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:58 pm 

LP, if you're mostly ok with the daytime nursing and she was ok with you being gone at night maybe try that a few nights in a row? After a week or so she may just be ok with it if you're there again. That is if you want to end the night nursing. I night weaned Alice after the lack of sleep was really too much for me to even function. While I felt guilty about it, I also felt guilty during the day when I couldn't do everything I wanted to do with the girls because I was too tired and emotionally drained. So for me the night weaning made sense.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:15 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

My son is 23 months, and we just had a huge transition in February for his nursing habits. He had slowed down anyways, and had a few trial days leading up to it, but he now goes to a day home a few times a week. From about 9:00-4:30! it's a change, that's for sure. He definitely nurses before I drop him off, right after I pick him up and then before bedtime. On days he stays home, maybe once or twice more,surrounding naptimes usually. He seems okay with this. His pediatrician wants him to be nursed upwards of two years. I think he still gets a fair amount of milk by drinking sounds, but i don't get engorged anymore while he is at daycare, just ready to feed hom when he comes back . Was easier than I thought!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:35 am 

LisaPunk wrote:
for those of you who nursed kids past 2ish did any of you have a kid who still wanted to nurse CONSTANTLY even when they were pretty old? im pretty sure if i allowed it BP would be attached to my boob 24-7.

Beetroot nursed all the time until he was maybe 3. Raygold nursed a lot between 2 and 2-1/2 and then tapered down suddenly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:03 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

she definitely needs to be night weaned again im just kind of dreading it. the first time we did it the first night was awful then after that it was like no big deal. totally shocking. then my husband went away for a week and she sleeps EVEN WORSE when he is gone and it was just me all alone with a toddler and 4 pets to take care of so i went into DO WHATEVER IS NECESSARY TO SURVIVE mode and let her nurse at night again then trying to wean her after that was a HORROR SHOW, like weeks and weeks of her screaming to nurse for HOURS at night. then another tooth started to come in so i caved and the teeth coming in always sets us soooo far back in every regard. we basically have to start at square 1 with EVERYTHING. it's sooo frustrating but this is her last molar til whenever they get adult teeth (yay years from now!). she's not even really sleeping in her bed like she was for awhile. we've gone all the way back to zero :-(

my husband had to go to NC today for work so i wont try night weaning her again until he's home but she literally asks to nurse 800000x a day and most of hte time its like full on meltdown mode. part of it is trying to keep her fed. she inherited my charming trait of getting really really HANGRY when not fed but it's hard because at 2 you dont know what's good for you to do and she has eating issues so she wont always just eat something when i know she needs to. she also refuses to do anything i tell her to do.

i would be ok with the day nursing (the 4x mentioned above) if she was night weaned and didnt ask to nurse every 5 seconds during the day. i just wish i could get her to spend more time with my husband so she would be less dependent on me. even when he is home she only wants me ALL.THE.TIME

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:31 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

So how do you deal.with the two top teeth? Because they are killing me the last few days, even though she has had them for a good few months. I can't take much more but really wanted to carry on til she was two.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:33 am 

I did a lot of repositioning and worked on a better/deeper latch when I had problems. At worst, maybe you could try nipple guards?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:20 am 

I'll keep trying that then, thanks crafty. I have never thought of nipple guards, I'll definitely try those if it carries on. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:36 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

if she actually biting you or is it more like the teeth are grinding on your nipple? at a few points when BP was teething bad i felt like she was basically sawing my nipple off. it hurts i just kind of suffered through it because i could tell it was teething related and i put coconut oil on my nipples if the skin was irritated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:21 pm 

I think it's both. I think she was biting for comfort when we were co sleeping and her top teeth also dig in when she feeds and peace little indents. She is teething really badly right now. I had a few nights away from co sleeping and it is much better so I think they were bruised. I also worked on encouraging a wider latch but I struggle with that as she gets frustrated. I am more hopeful it will pass though we are co sleeping again tonight to give her dad a break. She seem to be getting all four of her first molars at once. They half pop through then vanish again. I wish they would hurry up!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Any tips on how to get a toddler to fall asleep without the boob? We're trying to get BP to be more comfortable separating from me. She's fine with my husband until she gets tired then she basically just won't sleep. It takes him forever to get her to sleep when I'm not there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

just curious if any of you who have completely finished with nursing experienced weight loss AFTER nursing rather than during?

my understanding from reading is that some people lose weight while nursing because it takes so much energy for your body to produce milk and then some peoples' bodies keep/store extra fat for the purpose of making milk so they have a really hard time losing weight while nursing.

im hoping i fall into the latter category because i definitely have not lost any weight nursing. ive been working out like crazy lately and have even been doing weight machines for the first time in my life and ive been doing it for over a month and ive lost maybe 2 lbs. i havent changed the way i eat a ton but i ate relatively healthy to begin with. i have been trying to cut back on treats.

i just feel like the effort ive been putting in and the results do not match up and im relatively convinced i will not lose much weight until BP is completely done nursing. she still nurses at night to fall asleep and that's it. we've cut her off from all other nursing so just once a day until on the very odd chance she needs a nap then she will nurse to fall asleep for nap but in general she doesnt nap anymore. maybe once every few weeks.

im sure there is a third option that some people dont lose weight period and i really dont want to be in that category

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

also i feel like my boobs are disproportionate to my body. they arent huge by any means but they seem too big for my body. will they go back to a more normal size eventually???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125