| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preschool doesn't allow nuts or legumes - help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi all,

My two year old son is starting preschool next week. Just had a bomb dropped on us that all nuts and legumes are prohibited because of a child with a serious allergy. This is bad news for me because I keep a vegan kitchen, although my children eat dairy out in the world. I am allowed to send sunflower seed butter, which I certainly will. It pretty much rules out any leftovers.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions for healthy vegan lunchbox options without either nuts or legumes but hopefully with some protein? Or am I going to have to start buying dairy products to send with him? I'm pretty upset - thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject: Re: Preschool doesn't allow nuts or legumes - help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:28 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

That's rough! I would just concentrate on nuts and legumes at breakfast and dinner. A lot of young kids don't eat very well at school anyway and get most of their nutrition at home.

For protein, you can send grains (especially buckwheat and oatmeal); seitan; pumpkin, sunflower, and hemp seeds; and quinoa. Broccoli, kale, and avocado have a goodish amount of protein, too, for vegetables. And if you ever cook with protein powders, there are hemp and pea protein.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:34 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

All legumes? I've never heard of someone being allergic to all legumes before. I might try and clarify if that actually includes every type of bean, all soy products, etc. Does your son like quinoa? That's high in protein. There is also hemp tofu now. Chia pudding made with rice or oat milk? Pumpkin seeds to snack on? It's also not like the protein requirements of a two-year old are huge, you might just want to put more emphasis on protein at dinner time?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:41 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah just got back from the open house but I'm requesting further clarification from the director. It's going to mean a lot of parent education if the final ruling is really no legumes at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:04 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I work in a nut-free school, so I use Sunbutter or Daiya Cream Cheese. Some good sandwich combos:

- Sunbutter Bites (spread it onto a tortilla, wrap around a whole banana and cut into sushi-style bites)
- Crunchy Apple Pita (Sunbutter spread onto pita insides, then stuffed with sprinkle of granola and thinly sliced apple)
- Bagel & Cream Cheese (mini bagel topped with Daiya and jam, or thinly sliced strawberries)
- Pizza Bagel (English muffin with tomato sauce and Daiya, toasted like a pizza. Great at room temp!)
- Grilled Cheese (use Daiya cheese if you don't want dairy, and butter the bread with coconut oil to up the nutrition)

And some higher-protein sides:

- I have seen yogurt made from coconut products
- Make your own granola, with oats, coconut, dried fruit and seeds
- Trail mix, fill jars with bulk goodies (seeds, raisins, craisins, tiny crackers etc) and a spoonful of each to a small container
- Chia seed pudding
- Frozen smoothie tubes (add protein powder, molasses, coconut oil and other goodies)

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Would coconuts be considered nuts?

I'm trying to think of other things. I haven't had to pack a lunch for my son so I don't have too much experience in this area and I don't want to repeat what everyone else has said.

What about avacados? Or pumpkin seed butter? (So it is something different from sunflower seed butter) Or even sun mac and cheese? Do lentils count as a legume? What about millet or quinoa or another grain high in protein?

Could you have a breakfast that is very high in protein and then something simpler for lunch? And then more protein for dinner?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I almost forgot. Do you have the book Vegan Lunch box? That book has good suggestions for lunches and not all contain beans and nuts. Also, is he in all day preschool or only half a day?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Don't forget about tahini -- hopefully they will allow that, since it is a seed (although I have a friend whose daughter is allergic to sesame seeds)! I mix a tsp of it into oatmeal and tomato sauce. It makes things taste creamier and (obviously) adds some protein, too.