| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gestational Diabetes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:33 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

With my last pregnancy, I had gestational diabetes, and my numbers were very high. Funny thing is, I had no risk factors. I was young, gained only 10 lbs through the pregnancy, exercised regularly, and my diet wasn't that bad. But I got it anyway. I had to follow a diet with was a real pain. After it was all over I swore that I would never complain about my diabetes patients ever again. (Very few were compliant with any lifestyle changes and after experiencing it myself, I understood how annoying the diet was)

With this one, I'm not far along at all but I already feel like I have it. I'm constantly very thirsty and feel exhausted. Even when I drink water I'm still thirsty. It is like there is a film over my mouth that keeps it from getting wet. This is how it felt last time. My doctor suggested that I start following the diet. I wasn't vegan last time I was pregnant and there was a huge emphasis on carbs. (I love carbs!)

Did anyone ever have GD and do you have any advice? Or does anyone have a good source of information for vegans with GD?

Post subject: Re: Gestational Diabetes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:19 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

It's not exactly the same, but I just went through a pregnancy with type 1 diabetes. I ate a lot more soy than I usually do, but I was OK with that since it was temporary. I avoided rice (and rice noodles), fruit, and potatoes, except in pretty small quantities. I made sure to have a good protein source at each meal--beans, nuts, tofu, tempeh, soy milk, etc. I didn't avoid pasta since it has a low glycemic index and a good amount of protein (just mentioning this since pasta has a bad reputation), though I still made sure to keep serving sizes small and bulk up on protein and nonstarchy vegetables. I completely avoided fruit at breakfast and kept carbs especially low for that meal since first thing in the morning is when blood sugars are highest. I tried to eat five or six small meals rather than two or three big ones so I wasn't eating a huge amount of carbs at a time. And no beverages with carbs (except unsweetened soy milk). This includes no smoothies.

The ADA has some info on adapting a veg diet for diabetes:
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitnes ... ff-slabnav

Really the only difference is that the ADA considers a serving of grains/starchy vegetables to be 1/3 cup, and the regular food pyramid/plate counts 1/2 cup as a serving. Otherwise it's what you would expect. Lots of veggies, whole grains, beans, nuts.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

Post subject: Re: Gestational Diabetes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:45 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Thanks I'll check out that website!