| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transitioning baby to crib
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am so not ready for this, but I think Grey is. He kicks me all night and sleeps all spread out, Nate is sleeping on the edge of the bed and I am sleeping only side, so it seems no one is comfortable. Anyway, we haven't used the crib at all, how do I get him to sleep in it? I usually bf to sleep in our bed.

Post subject: Re: Transitioning baby to crib
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:00 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I started putting Lydia in her crib by nursing her to sleep, then very gently laying her in the crib. Sometimes she would stir when I put her down, so I'd start making "shh" noises and rub her tummy, and (hopefully) she'd fall fully asleep.

If your home is really cold, an electric blanket put in the crib while you are nursing (that you remove before you put him down!!) can be a good idea so you aren't plonking him down on a shockingly chilly crib mattress.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:06 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

helbury wrote:
If your home is really cold, an electric blanket put in the crib while you are nursing (that you remove before you put him down!!) can be a good idea so you aren't plonking him down on a shockingly chilly crib mattress.

Great idea!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

helbury wrote:
I started putting Lydia in her crib by nursing her to sleep, then very gently laying her in the crib. Sometimes she would stir when I put her down, so I'd start making "shh" noises and rub her tummy, and (hopefully) she'd fall fully asleep.

That's the same thing I did. I have a rocking chair next to his crib, so we nurse in that then I gently lay him in the crib. This is after his bedtime routine with two stories. I also use a blue nightlight and white noise in the background to set the sleep mood. (well, did use white noise until burglars stole his ipod and speakers last week! luckily he's sleeping well without it now)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:17 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I need to do this before Lorelei gets crawl-y. I'm afraid she'll tumble off the bed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Okay, at just a week shy of 18 months, Raygold is still nursing 6-8 times a night and I was all, "I need some sleep asdfjkl;zombiemom." It was so bad earlier this week, I actually had my husband watch the kids so I could take afternoon naps because I was dying of tired.

So we have a new plan -- I either nurse Raygold to sleep or have my husband shuffle* him off to sleep and then have my husband (because he is taller) put Raygold into his playpen and I let him sleep there until he wakes up (and then he comes to bed with me and nurses).
We've done this for 2 nights now and it is the least amount of night nursing I've done since he was born. 2-3 times a night and that's it. I slept so well last night -- the first full night of sleep I've had since Raygold was born -- and as a bonus Beetroot even slept in until 9 (instead of 7:30). Beetroot is sleeping with my husband was all he was all, "Beetroot talks in the middle of the night and strangles me!" And I am all, "ha ha ha, welcome to my world. no sympathy from me until you do that every night for 18 months." They don't call me The Crabby Crafter for nothin'.

I thoguht I'd share that on this thread since I read the OP earlier this week and really sympathised. (It also made me think that maybe I should try transitioning Raygold.)

* dance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:59 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh man, cc. I am glad you are finally getting some sleep. We still haven't started putting grey in his bed. Does he always nurse 6-8 times?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:34 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Luka transitioned surprisingly well to his crib in his own room (at about 4 months). I think we may have been keeping him up with our snoring and tossing/turning. We just feed him to sleep, or rock him a bit, and lay him down. We also have a Sleep Sheep for white noise:
http://www.sleepsheep.com/?gclid=CNL7s9 ... 7Qod-2Zvmg

He still wakes up for feeding, so we go in, feed him, and he goes back to sleep. Give it a try. You may be surprised at how much Grey likes his own bed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:53 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have a sleep sheep! It's so great.

We are going to move the crib in our room today

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebear wrote:
Oh man, cc. I am glad you are finally getting some sleep. We still haven't started putting grey in his bed. Does he always nurse 6-8 times?

How old is Grey? Raygold doesn't *always* nurse 6-8 times a night, but he almost always does. Part of the issue is probably that Raygold is the lightest sleeper ever (he got that from me, I'm sure) and if I move at all, it wakes him up.

I am sleeping right on the floor next to the playpen, so I hear him every time he moves and am ready to get him when he wigs out.
The first night, I heard him wake up and say, "boobie...okay...boobie...boobie...okay...okay..." and then fall back asleep without getting too upset to wake himself up totally (the first time -- I brought him into bed with me the second time).
Last night, I heard him wake up and say, "help...help...HELP!...Help!...help...help...help...huhmnnnphzzzzz...." Later in the night, he started the 'help!'-thing up again and it crescendoed, so I got him and boobed him.

Also, Raygold sleeps like he is performing in the circus (both my kids do that, but Beetroot is a much heavier sleeper) and if he rolls or whoops me in the head or touches me in any way during this circus performance, he wakes up and needs boobie.

(Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and he is brilliantly funny and very sweet, but after 18 months, I need a little sleep.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:41 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We just out grey in his crib. He is fussing but not crying. We are giving it a few minutes to see if he will sleep. This is so hard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The hardest part for me is wondering if Raygold is okay when he is sleeping in the playpen.

I forgot to put Raygold in his sleepy sack before he went to bed yesterday and he was a little fussier than usual once he ended up back in bed (floor bed, that is, they're all the rage in my house these days) with me (because it's cold and he kept squirming out from under the covers). But still only 4 boobings last night.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Okay, Raygold was in his playpen all night last night! This was totally unplanned (and I was sleeping on the floor next to him), but it was nice. He woke up a few times and cried a little, but instead of standing up and screaming "halp! halp! boobie...boobie...okay! okay!!" he fell back asleep before I got up to get him.
I think this was a fluke, though, because we just got back from a wee 3-night holiday where Beetroot, Raygold, and I all shared a bed (and Mr. Crabby slept on the floor -- because the Travelodge gross spare-bed thingy (I should really post a picture) was mouldy!) and only Beetroot seemed to get any sleep (he would pummel Raygold in his sleep and then Raygold would wake up and beg me for boobie).