| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:28 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah i should know by now just to wait until she's ready but it all feels so dire at the time you're dealing with it.
my husband and i got in a fight over the dressing thing this morning because i was helping BP get dressed and i was trying to get her to pull up her pants while i was helping her. i had my hands on the sides of the pants and she just kept ripping at the front and screaming and then flung herself on the floor so i was literally just sitting there in her room and she was laying there and it was basically a repeat of the other day and he was like "why are you doing this?" and basically that shes obviously not ready to dress herself so why am i trying.
so that's the short version of a big thing but i guess on that point he's right.
i just felt like this is what i was supposed to be doing right now. i wasnt trying to force her to do it herself i was trying to help her but she is so resistant.
i do think physically its hard for her because her gross motor skills are lacking too and the sensory stuff definitely comes into play especially with her feet. that's why i usually predominantly put her socks on for her because she basically freaks out when it feels weird to her.

L and BP sound similar in wanting to do things on their own terms which i guess was my husband's overall point. she doesnt want to do it so she's just not going to. she's been like this her entire life. she doesnt ever try things she waits and waits and waits and waits and then bam one day just does it. she never tried to crawl or walk she just did it one day really late. it's why we've put almost no emphasis on potty training her yet. though on that front my husband asked her if she wanted to try a potty seat that goes on the big potty (rather than the little potty we've had forever that sits on the floor) and she claims she does but we are both highly dubious.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

LisaPunk wrote:
yeah i should know by now just to wait until she's ready but it all feels so dire at the time you're dealing with it.
my husband and i got in a fight over the dressing thing this morning because i was helping BP get dressed and i was trying to get her to pull up her pants while i was helping her. i had my hands on the sides of the pants and she just kept ripping at the front and screaming and then flung herself on the floor so i was literally just sitting there in her room and she was laying there and it was basically a repeat of the other day and he was like "why are you doing this?" and basically that shes obviously not ready to dress herself so why am i trying.
so that's the short version of a big thing but i guess on that point he's right.
i just felt like this is what i was supposed to be doing right now. i wasnt trying to force her to do it herself i was trying to help her but she is so resistant.
i do think physically its hard for her because her gross motor skills are lacking too and the sensory stuff definitely comes into play especially with her feet. that's why i usually predominantly put her socks on for her because she basically freaks out when it feels weird to her.

L and BP sound similar in wanting to do things on their own terms which i guess was my husband's overall point. she doesnt want to do it so she's just not going to. she's been like this her entire life. she doesnt ever try things she waits and waits and waits and waits and then bam one day just does it. she never tried to crawl or walk she just did it one day really late. it's why we've put almost no emphasis on potty training her yet. though on that front my husband asked her if she wanted to try a potty seat that goes on the big potty (rather than the little potty we've had forever that sits on the floor) and she claims she does but we are both highly dubious.

I think I remember you mentioning that you have tried social stories with BP? As I'm reading your comments about the stress of getting her dressed, I can't help but think that could be something to try if you haven't already. It sounds like she gets so frustrated with the whole experience that she is losing sight of the reason people get dressed and it might comfort her to go over the steps of the process when she is calm (not at the same time as when she needs to get dressed). You could draw/write a social story with the beg, middle, end of the process of getting dressed and then list a few fun things you get to do after you are dressed like go outside, etc. I wouldn't even worry about her doing any of it by herself at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yes! BP is a fan of the social story. that's a great idea! i bet i can even find a library book about getting dressed.

i think for now we're just going to back way off. the only reason i was even trying was the OT place made me feel like she should be able to do it.
i think we're switching BP to OT-feeding rather than straight OT soon so it may not come up much anymore

Post subject: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:41 pm 
Tofu Pup

Given the confusion and debate regarding my last status, I thought Id make a debate topic. Heres the status if you missed it:

Without exploding babies, Gods glory would be diminished

This

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Well then

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:06 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hahahahaha!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:37 pm 
Dead by dawn

So, wise parents of the ppk... a vegan friend of mine is getting grief from her aunt about her 18 month old vegan kiddo. He was, as are loads of babies, born with very little hair and he's only now getting enough to even brush. Aunt insinuates in one breath that his hair is growing "so slowly" because he's vegan and in the next breath says "not that there's anything wrong with that." We (friend and I) are pretty clear that that's nonsense... some babies have tons of hair, some have none, end of story. However, aunt dropped another thought on friend that has her a bit concerned. Aunt says that children don't produce their own cholesterol and so friend needs to be sure to bf until kiddo is at least 4 so that he will get sufficient dietary cholesterol (since that would be his only source.) Cursory googling doesn't bring up much of use re: little kids and cholesterol. I will look further when I have a chance, but has anyone ever heard anything similar? Vegan for Life doesn't mention cholesterol as a concern for vegan toddlers so I am thinking it's hogwash but I thought I'd see what you guys know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I think if the aunt is the one bringin up these wacky ideas, the onus is on her to back herself up. I've never heard anything like that. If I were your friend, I would be tempted to ask her if she has any scientific studies she could pass along. Other than that, I would just tell her, "If the American Association of Pediatrics says a vegan diet is sufficient for infants and toddlers, that's good enough for me."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:34 pm 
Dead by dawn

You're right, of course. Plus, I cannot find a single shred of anything online that says that infants and/or young children don't synthesize their own cholesterol but I found a study that looked at the effects of high dietary consumption on cholesterol synthesis in infants. It didn't answer to the aunt's wacky theory, per se, but if they are looking at factors that may or may not affect synthesis of cholesterol in infants, it would be a pretty short write up if synthesis didn't happen, period.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:28 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yeah... Claiming that human livers don't synthesize cholesterol until a certain age is totally bizarre. And did I miss what the alleged connection is between a kid not having hair and being vegan? Is hair exclusively made out of cholesterol?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:46 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My mom was a rabid meat eater and I was a baldy until I was two. Beetroot had Captain Picard hair (bald on top, hair on the sides), but Raygold had lovely blonde hair and Percy had light brown hair, although thinner than Reggie's.

As for cholesterol, http://nutritionfacts.org/video/heart-d ... -the-womb/ -- not entirely relevant, really, but I was diagnosed with high cholesterol at 10 and have been reading avidly about it ever since (being told that you have heart attack risk levels of cholesterol at 10 is a life-changer and one of the reasons I went vegan) and have never read anything about babies, etc. not being able to synthesise it on their own.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wow that's some wacky stuff.
is the kid growing on it's appropriate growth curve and reaching developmental milestones?

if the answer is yes then there is no reason to worry what the kid is eating.

the hair thing is weird because it's pretty common for some kids to be super bald for a crazy long time and other kids to have crazy amounts of hair since birth.

BP eats next to nothing and im pretty sure the only part of her that grows is her hair and fingernails.
her cousin who is 5 weeks younger than her has significantly less hair than her. so same family, same gender, and born almost the same time. their hair is probably about the same length now after i cut like 10 inches of BP's hair off.

as far as the cholesterol thing goes i dont have anything smart and science backed to say but if you see nothing about it in Vegan for Life i would trust that. i trust Ginny and Jack's knowledge they always seem to present things in a sound science backed way.

i will also say that my own kid, predominantly vegan from birth, (ie she's had trace amount of dairy in things like baked goods) has sensory issues, eating issues, and was born with a congenital heart defect.
not one single person in the medical field out of ALL OF THE MANY people the poor kid has been evaluated by has ever had a single bad thing to say about her being vegan. NOT. ONE.
she was specifically going to a nutrition clinic for awhile because of her eating issues and we saw many people there including an RN, a child psychologist, and two different dieticians (nutritionist? not sure what the appropriate term is) and the only things they ever asked was that she was getting the essential nutritients not how she was getting them.
no one anywhere (pediatrician, nutrition clinic, cardiologist, two different dentists, several early intervention people, new OT clinic people, school, etc) has ever told me she needs to be eating meat/dairy and she is no where developmentally near where she should be eating wise for her age and she is several inches below the weight chart for weight.

so yeah if my kid with all those issues is fine being predominantly vegan than your friend's kid should be fine. tell aunt to Shuttest The Forsooth Up! ;-)

feel free to relate those stories. the only thing any medical professional was ever concerned with was that she was getting those nutrients, not how. so is she drinking a type of milk? yes soy milk! is she getting protein? she she will eat yogurt, tofu, quinoa, peanut butter, etc.
and so on and so forth.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:55 pm 
Dead by dawn

mooo wrote:
Yeah... Claiming that human livers don't synthesize cholesterol until a certain age is totally bizarre. And did I miss what the alleged connection is between a kid not having hair and being vegan? Is hair exclusively made out of cholesterol?

I think the lack of hair theory and the cholesterol theory were unrelated? The hair thing was easily dismissed because anyone who has known more than a couple of little kids knows that some are bald as cue balls.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what do people give their toddlers for allergies?

we think BP may be suffering my seasonal allergies from all the golden rod and feeling crappy has made her sensory issues 80000000x times worse and we're currently living in some sort of horrible nightmare.

finally today my husband suggested maybe she didnt feel good from all the pollen (we've both been feeling crappy too) and he says he saw her rubbing at her eyes. all i had was benedryl so i gave her some of that.

im so limited on what i can give a tiny 3 year old :-/

the benedryl didnt seem to do anything and she had the most epic meltdowns ever today.
i was texting my mom and she reminded me benedryl can make some people agitated and she says it makes her feel like she's jumping out of her skin. so the epic meltodowns (from today anyways) may/may not be attributed to that.

she says her nose and eyes hurt/itch and at one point today one of her eyes had blotchy red skin around it that reminded me of myself as an older kid with raging seasonal allergies.

i went to target and bought children's liquid claritin but havent given it to her yet as we had given her a 2nd dose of benedryl @ 2 before i started piecing things together.

just wondering if any particular one works well for people. i know regular claritin is what i use for myself.

im going to email our OT to see if feeling crappy would send us spiraling so far backwards.
we've been really lucky. with all the crepe we have to deal with with her the kid basically never gets sick. so i have nothing to compare this too.

ugh. forking golden rod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:44 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm sorry LP. :(

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hot dogs and deli meats are bad when pregnant: is it because of the way they cure them? Or is there something inherently baby-harming about sandwich meat and low-quality sausage?

(Am I okay eating cold Tofurky?)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:12 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofurkey and veggie dogs are fine. I think it has something to do with the nitrates in meat slices and dogs (?)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:37 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I thought it was because of the risk of food-borne illness. Some people are concerned about nitrates in cured meats but not sure how much established that is. (FWIW, "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster was great at answering these kinds of questions with relatively current research.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:37 am 

I think the meaty versions are on the "no no list" because of the risk of listeria? I second the recommendation for Expecting Better - definitely the best book I read during pregnancy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:59 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

dandykins wrote:
I thought it was because of the risk of food-borne illness. Some people are concerned about nitrates in cured meats but not sure how much established that is. (FWIW, "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster was great at answering these kinds of questions with relatively current research.)

How established that is, even. Yikes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:46 am 

So I looked it up and it is about listeria (I'd like the page but it had a lot of gross photos of deli meat) but it's pretty rare whether you're pregnant or not. Anyway listeria is killed by pasteruizing and cooking and I'm pretty sure Tofurkey and the like aren't a risk for that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:05 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yeah, that would be my thought too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:46 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my vague understanding is as far as vegans go the only food you may not want to eat is sprouts and i dont remember why (e coli?)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:29 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Sprouts seed pods are too tight to wash out potential bacteria, etc. fully so they don't recommend anyone eat sprouts pregnant or not. I try to remember not to get them when I eat out, but often forget. Small, but real risk.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

At what point is poor bladder control/leaking a thing? Like, third trimester?

Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm leaking or. . .particularly discharge-y (sorry. that's so gross, I know). Or both. I'm only 18-19 weeks! I guess I should be doing kegels, either way. I've never done them in my life and don't particularly understand them. I guess the best way to memorize the movement would be to practice on the toilet? Since it's compared to stopping pee? So confusing.

Bodies are so weird.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112  Next