| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 112  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

This might be a really dumb question, but are play teepees for kids considered cultural appropriation? I was considering getting one to make a little nook but I feel like I've witnessed controversy in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hm. Teepees are not something from my heritage, so I'm probably not the most qualified person to answer. But we have one and we call it a tent. I mean, teepees are a type of tent. It's black and white striped, so no stereotypical imagery. Personally, I feel like as long as you're not blithely posting soft focus photos of Sven hanging out in it wearing a war bonnet or something, it's probably okay. You can talk about how some people lived in structures like that if the kids are interested.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:48 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Can you feel when your baby flips from head up to head down? Right now she is breech, but I only know that because I had an ultrasound last week (to monitor an ovarian cyst.) I know it's not a big deal quite yet (almost 30 weeks), but was just wondering if I would know when it happened.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My Zoetrope wrote:
Can you feel when your baby flips from head up to head down? Right now she is breech, but I only know that because I had an ultrasound last week (to monitor an ovarian cyst.) I know it's not a big deal quite yet (almost 30 weeks), but was just wondering if I would know when it happened.

Depends on how big she is, what you're doing, how exactly she's positioned, etc. My friend's baby flipped to head down at 38 weeks and she never felt it. For me, the easiest sign of head position was hiccups... Anything under your belly button likely means head down. (I don't know how scientific that is)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:21 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

c&s, thanks for giving me hope about beans. F ate baked beans when she was small, but when she hit her picky phase around 14 months or so, that was the end of that. Now, she's a relatively good eater, but damn if I can get a legume in that kid. We hide mashed lentils, etc. in food, but an actual whole bean? Heavens no. Tonight, I convinced her to try a bite of adzuki beans (which were part of our burrito filling) and you'd have though I'd made her eat mud. The man and I eat beans every forking day....sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:48 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yeah, E was just like that-- he LOVED beans until he hit a certain age when they suddenly became legumae non gratae in our household. The first ones he would eat again were pinto beans, which I kept giving him in chili which he decided he liked one day. Now he'll eat black beans sometimes too. In soup!! Soup is his other enemy. (I forking love soup. Sometimes I feel his food dislikes are based entirely on spite.) It's slow but it's progress.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What about edamame? I have to fight off babynut on the edamame.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:58 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

My Zoetrope wrote:

I would say it totally depends on the baby. I didn't with my first in part because it happened sort of in labor. He was 6 weeks early.
I did with the middle one. Took a nap and woke up to feeling her head pushing on my pelvis.
The youngest was just so small and my pregnancy with her was so difficult, I don't remember.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:50 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Pregnancy books say that lunch meat should be avoided during pregnancy. Does that include Tofurkey? I've been craving it. I know pregnancy books say that you can heat up lunch meat to steaming and it will be fine, but I only like to eat it cold.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:42 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Tofurky is safe. The issue with lunch meat is listeria, and there's none of that on Tofurky.

For vegans, we mostly just have to remember to wash our veggies well and maybe avoid sprouts. None of the other food rules apply to things we eat.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:37 pm 

Thank you! So happy that don't have to worry about Tofurkey!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:29 pm 

This is kind of strange because it has more to do with pets. It is also gross.

Here's the thing. There is a possibility that one of my cats may be getting sick. She had two accidents outside the litterbox (feces) first time my husband cleaned it up, second time it was in the middle of the day and it was where my son plays. I freaked out, put on gloves and a face mask and cleaned it up. (Used Natures Miracle) and I'm freaking out a little bit. I did shower afterwards. (Both cats are indoor cats and they eat dry food. I still worry about toxoplasmosis.) Her last accident was two days ago. My husband cleaned the litter boxes after the first accident.

Today her breath smelled HORRIBLE. It was foul. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it is unlike her to have an accident and then the bad breath happens a few days later.

She's fairly new, we got her in March, and she is six years old. She had clogged anal glands about two months ago but hasn't had it since. She is still adjusting a bit. She is very loving and wants to be around me at all times. She loves to give kisses and will sometimes sleep in our bed.

You're probably wondering what this have to do with pregnancy or kids. I was wondering if there was anything other than toxosplamosis that I have to worry about during pregnancy. If she is sick, is there anything that she could have that would hurt the unborn baby or my child? Is it okay to be around a sick cat when pregnant? I want to wait a few days because her bad breath could be due to her cleaning herself right after using the litter and both her accidents could be that my husband cleans the litterbox less frequently than I do. (I do it everyday and he does it once a week, though she hasn't had issues with his cleaning schedule in the past two months) Her behavior has not changed at all. If I wasn't pregnant I wouldn't worry about this at all.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the other cat has been pouncing on her more recently. He would do it every once in a while but lately it has been anytimes he sees her. He usually doesn't make contact, but he likes to stalk and pounce. He will sometimes corner and bat at her. There is never any hissing or growling. I wonder if any of this could be due to stress.

My cats seem to like to have their issues when I get pregnant. Last pregnancy my other cat had a vomiting issue that lasted about a weeks and I had to take him to a vet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:05 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm probably not the best person to answer this question because I don't have any pets, but I've never read anything about potantial issues with pregnant ladies and sick pets other than toxoplasmosis. We had an issue with our neighbours wormy-poo cats last year when I was pregnant and I talked to a doctor-friend of mine and she only mentioned toxoplasmosis as the major issue (it is a really, really serious issue, though, but I can't see how it would be a risk if you have indoor cats only eating dry food and not mice or anything like that -- plus, you had gloves and a face mask on). (Other parasites are, of course, a risk to humans, too, but it is more of an across the board thing, rather than a specifically very-bad-when-you're-pregnant thing.)

So you adopted an older cat? That's so cool!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:07 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

As far as I know there's nothing specific to cats to worry about other than toxoplasmosis. However, I didn't even worry about toxoplasmosis so I'm probably not the best person to answer either. Hope kitty feels better soon, or it's just a fluke!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you could always just call your drs office and ask them what they think and just say you are nervous about having a sick animal around you and do they know of any other pet/pregnant woman issues just to have piece of mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:01 pm 

Kept meaning to update but I think pregnancy brain was making me forget.

But her breath is fine now. I think both times I had smelled it she had just eaten and I jumped to conclusions. I got both cats dental treats and a water additive because I've never really done dental care. I only plan to use the water additive until it runs out. They love the treats.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what are peoples' quick/natural ways for dealing with fever and buckets of snot?

i gave BP my evil cold :-( and last night we were up all night with a fever that wouldnt go away and buckets and buckets of snot pouring out of her.
before we went to bed we gave her a cool bath and got some acetimenaphen in her and she slept ok for a couple hours then was up over and over again all night. we gave her more acetimenaphen after however many hours you are supposed to wait (4?) but she was just sooooo scorchingly hot all night. she didnt like when i tried to put a cool cloth on her forehead or the back of her neck, she didnt want her nose sucked with the bulb thing, we barely got the acetimenaphen in her, etc. at one point she was basically in hysterics and my husband had the forethought to go find her favorite bear which was actually in the washing machine awaiting a bath in the morning.

when we went to bed i had my husband turn the window fan on (which blows directly onto our bed) and the two of us were cold but i think it helped BP since she was like burning

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:33 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

You can alternate children's motrin and tylenol for more coverage. Otherwise you are doing everything I know - the bath, cool cloth, etc. For the nose, sucking it out, then spraying some saline, and sucking again is helpful. Poor BP - I hope she gets better soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:09 pm 

Sounds like you are doing good. If she can eat, you can try warm no chick'n soup (or any kind of soup). It won't cure anything but it might make her feel better. You could try a warm drink too. (When I'm sick I want warm liquid foods they go down easily and feel good on my throat.) I also like a warm wet cloth on my nose because it always gets dry when I have a cold. (And then I abuse the face lotion) I also like Annasrobbie's suggestion of rotating motrin and tylenol.

Sorry I can't ad much! Hope she feels better soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Sorry BP is sick! A sick baby is the worst. I'm usually really stingy about such things, but boogie wipes are totally worth it when your kid is snotty and feeling bad. I also love their
saline spray. I go out of my way to find the unscented ones. I know you said she hated the bulb snot remover, but some people have more luck with the snot sucker (google it). Babynut hates it but it gets the job done. My routine is to spray the boogie spray, do the snot sucker, and then wipe generously with boogie wipes when needed.

Also, my ped office prefers baby Advil. I don't know why.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:28 pm 

Oh how old is she? If she's a baby my suggestions are useless. With my son we would give tylenol and just comfort him. He gets Ferbile seizures so if he gets even a slight fever we give him tylenol. Boogie wipes are good, they kept my sons nose from drying out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:00 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have a sample pack of the boogie wipes ive never even used. are they that good? ill have to remember that next time her nose turns into a faucet. she seems to be alot better. sometime yesterday evening her nose got better in terms of how much snot was coming out of it though she still kept feeling warm to me (but not burning like hte previous night).
we gave her some acetimenaphen before bed and she actually slept REALLY well last night which i think she really needed. in fact i had to wake her up this morning because i had to take one of the dogs to the vet for a ear recheck so i couldnt just let her sleep until she was ready to wake up.

we tried the saline before we remembered we had the bulb sucker thing since that's what i use to get dried up boogers out but once we remembered the bulb thingy we stopped the saline because she hates all of the above and the snot was literally pouring out of her so i didnt think we needed any help in that dept ;-)

my mom said back in the day she used to use benedryl/sudafed to help dry us up but she wasnt sure about BP's age/weight (i assume my mom gave us these things as older kids rather than as babies)
thankfully it seems like it just ran its course.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Butternut wrote:
Sorry BP is sick! A sick baby is the worst. I'm usually really stingy about such things, but boogie wipes are totally worth it when your kid is snotty and feeling bad. I also love their
saline spray. I go out of my way to find the unscented ones. I know you said she hated the bulb snot remover, but some people have more luck with the snot sucker (google it). Babynut hates it but it gets the job done. My routine is to spray the boogie spray, do the snot sucker, and then wipe generously with boogie wipes when needed.

Also, my ped office prefers baby Advil. I don't know why.

We also like Boogie Wipes, but generally just use wet cloths.

There was some thought awhile back that Tylenol use in infants might be associated with increased asthma risk, although more recently I've read they weren't really able to separate kids out who just got sick more often and thus took more Tylenol. We use advil/ibuprofen though, because know it really works for me and Tylenol doesn't. Also, Tylenol is way more likely to be toxic and deadly if you mess up the dosing. There are an amazing number of aacetaminophen deaths in children.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:41 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ariann wrote:
Butternut wrote:
Also, Tylenol is way more likely to be toxic and deadly if you mess up the dosing. There are an amazing number of aacetaminophen deaths in children.

im really bad at remembering which drug names/brand names are the same so i take it Tylenol and acetimenaphin are the same thing?

we havent had any issues so far but we are pretty stingy with the pain meds. i dont think we've ever even given her a full dose. we usually do a half dose and that seems to work fine for us.
i do think her dosage goes up soon though. i have a vague memory of the pedi telling me when she got to 17 lbs it would go up and she's 16 something now

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LisaPunk wrote:
Ariann wrote:
Butternut wrote:
Also, Tylenol is way more likely to be toxic and deadly if you mess up the dosing. There are an amazing number of aacetaminophen deaths in children.

im really bad at remembering which drug names/brand names are the same so i take it Tylenol and acetimenaphin are the same thing?

we havent had any issues so far but we are pretty stingy with the pain meds. i dont think we've ever even given her a full dose. we usually do a half dose and that seems to work fine for us.
i do think her dosage goes up soon though. i have a vague memory of the pedi telling me when she got to 17 lbs it would go up and she's 16 something now

Yes, those are the same thing. There's no reason to not give a full dose, just use a medicine dropper, not a household teaspoon or even medicine cup (much harder to measure, although more accurate than a cooking teaspoon), and follow dosing instructions for the actual concentration you have. The deadly overdoses are usually related to people dosing as if they are using a weaker concentration than they really are, because they are onto you using a dosing chart for the proper concentration or because they are given instructions for volume and then wind up buying a concentration different from the one the doctor was thinking of - this has even happened in hospitals where kids wind up ODing from poor communication about dosing. I believe at some point recently that children's Tylenol standardized its concentrations, but I'm not totally sure about that. Also, don't give other medicine containing acetaminophen at the same time (more a problem when they are older and might also take some kind of cold medicine).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 112  Next