| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:22 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I really like california baby super sensitive shampoo and body wash. It's mild, but still has enough soap to get greasy stuff out. I even use it as a face wash for me because it doesn't dry out my skin and it's great for washing off eye makeup due to it being tear-free. I doubt you can get it in the UK though!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 am 
Married to the wolfman

RE: washing, I know I've mentioned it in this thread before, but I love this bubble bath: everyday shea

We're finding that it's one of the only things that doesn't bother the Magician's skin. Other than that, I do mostly just wash him with water. He loves baths-- so naturally, he's prone to dry skin & baby eczema, which are exacerbated by warm water. Doh.

Speaking of which: do any of you moisturize your babies? If so, suggestions on what to do it with? We've been putting Lubriderm on it (his doctor said to moisturize him after seeing his skin patches) and that's what my husband uses, but it's made of petroleum and a bunch of other crepe and it seems weird to put on a baby.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

coldandsleepy wrote:
Speaking of which: do any of you moisturize your babies? If so, suggestions on what to do it with? We've been putting Lubriderm on it (his doctor said to moisturize him after seeing his skin patches) and that's what my husband uses, but it's made of petroleum and a bunch of other crepe and it seems weird to put on a baby.

Olive oil. Can't get simpler than that!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mittenmacher wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

Olive oil. Can't get simpler than that!

Yup, I was going to suggest the same. Any cold-pressed veg oil works.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:13 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ooh...that Earth Mama stuff looks perfect! I've seen one product that I like here, but it's lavender scented and lavender used to be (might still be?) a migraine trigger for me. Gonna order me some baby 'poo! Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:32 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I use the earth mama stuff too, love it!

For moisturizer I use weleda calendula cream.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

Uh..so I stopped breastfeeding/pumping since Sunday entirely and now the girls are very hard and shiny and burning. It seems like engorgement but not quite sure how to relieve it..(I want the milk to go away now..)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Earth Mama Angel Baby has a tea that's supposed to reduce your supply!
http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/breas ... k-tea.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:31 pm 
Semen Strong

I have always heard that green cabbage leaves work well.

Kellymom, advises applying green cabbage leaves to your breasts to help diminish your supply. The cabbage leaves can also relieve pain and discomfort from breast engorgement--put them in the refrigerator or freezer before placing them on your breasts.

And herbs like parsley, sage and mints are supposed to help, but I've eaten them and not seen any diminishment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:36 pm 
Inflexitarian

Ohh okay, thanks ya'll :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

When I had to shut down my milk supply when Reno was a few days old I used ice packs and cold showers. I've heard wonders about the cold cabbage leaves.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:57 pm 

Don't forget to get the milk out too, so you don't end up with plugged ducts, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:23 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i would hand express a little bit whenever you get really hard and uncomfortable too. you can use a pump too, if you have access to one. just a minute or two on each side. it'll reduce your pain level a little without increasing milk production.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:23 pm 

When does the pain with teething come? I can see the tooth right at the edge of the gum and I can feel it with my finger. Am I over the worst of it or is it yet to come?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:15 pm 
Semen Strong

I think it depends on the kid. Leela had lots of drooling and chewing before her two teeth popped through and when they were those ittybitty shards, but then was fine. I hope you're over the worst of it!

Dumb question: what do you do about people holding your kid? A friend of a friend met Leela and wanted to hold her and play with her, which I was cool with. Then, after snuggling her etc, she said "Oh, I shouldn't have done that - I was so sick last week." My husband thinks that I need to ask everyone "are you sick? Is anyone in your household sick?" before letting them touch her. And that seems crazy to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Haha! Never had that problem, since my kid would scream and claw at my chest if I tried to let a stanger hold him. What a friendly baby you have!

Regarding teething, for us the pain seemed to stop shortly after the tooth broke the skin. It's the days and days and weeks of waiting while it's just below the surface, ugh....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:52 pm 

Damn she is fussy. Still on a bit of a bottle strike, too, which makes everyone miserable. I think the tooth is just breaking out so maybe things will get back to normal soon.

Tofulish, I don't think I would ask people that but I guess you have to do whatever makes you comfortable. I figure beyond basic hand washing and avoiding the obviously sick, there is not much I can do to really avoid that kind of thing. But maybe I'm jaded from living in a big city and working in a school.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:02 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
Dumb question: what do you do about people holding your kid? A friend of a friend met Leela and wanted to hold her and play with her, which I was cool with. Then, after snuggling her etc, she said "Oh, I shouldn't have done that - I was so sick last week." My husband thinks that I need to ask everyone "are you sick? Is anyone in your household sick?" before letting them touch her. And that seems crazy to me.

That seems crazy to me, but mostly because it would be totally ineffective. People can be germ carriers without ever getting sick and lots of things are infectious before they have really obvious symptoms. And if someone was sick last week, but isn't sick anymore, it's really unlikely they're still contagious.

That being said, I wouldn't let anyone wearing scrubs hug Malka.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I only thought about this recently, but how protective are you of your kids online? Are you upset when other people post pictures of your kids? Is it ok when they're babies but more of a murky issue as they get older? I know many of you don't use your kids' real names online -- is it out of privacy concerns or just so, say, your in-laws don't read things you might say about them?

All of a sudden I'm worried that I've been too open online and that maybe I should use a pseudonym for Sven, with everything being archived and facial recognition software and who knows what they will invent next. Or am I totally crazy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 pm 
Inflexitarian

mandycoot wrote:
I only thought about this recently, but how protective are you of your kids online? Are you upset when other people post pictures of your kids? Is it ok when they're babies but more of a murky issue as they get older? I know many of you don't use your kids' real names online -- is it out of privacy concerns or just so, say, your in-laws don't read things you might say about them?

All of a sudden I'm worried that I've been too open online and that maybe I should use a pseudonym for Sven, with everything being archived and facial recognition software and who knows what they will invent next. Or am I totally crazy?

I've always leaned on the paranoid side, after having my FB pictures stolen before and used for less than nice purposes. But I decided lately whatever, people will do strange stuff, can't live my life worrying about them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:26 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Re: people holding kids: I'd be mad if a friend of mine told me after "oh by the way, I am so sick!" but it would not even occur to me to ask them first unless I had some reason to suspect they were sick.

Re: online, I don't worry about it that much. My kids both have fairly uncommon names and I've posted the real versions more than once... I'm sure someone could figure out who we are no problem. I started calling E the Emperor as a joke before he was born and it just stuck (it really fits his personality too) and then his brother needed a nickname too. I post pictures a lot and again, don't worry about it much.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Online: I'm not too secretive online. For some reason I still feel the need to use wolverine for my kids name for online forums and such. I feel like I have a screenname so he should too? Haven't thought too too much about it. I do post pics of him on forums and such. I try not to overdo it. I am in a private group on facebook where I post all kinds of pictures I would never post on an online forum or on regular facebook. Not sure how secure that is but whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm not too worried about online stuff because honestly, if someone wants to "find" us, it isn't that hard with or without a screen name. Shae is however, a little concerned now that his friends have started googling each other. Really old pictures of him (age 4 and under I think) and an article I wrote about him for an online vegetarian magazine both popped up right away, giving kids some fun things to talk about for a boring hour in class. So hopefully I haven't posted anything too humiliating anywhere?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i am not worried. i probably should be, especially since i've been very open on this forum in particular, and it's not a forum you need a membership to browse. if someone knew i liked this site, they could very easily find out just about everything i've said about my kid and partner and mil in about 5 seconds. eek. but on the other hand, this is a pretty small site with a lower readership, so i don't worry about random googling too much.

there is another site i frequent that i don't post ANY identifying info at all, not my name, kid's name, or any pictures. i think i've only mentioned my city once or twice. but there are people on there that have been proven in the past to be very adept at figuring out who people are and using it. why on earth i'm even on a site with a culture like that is probably the better question.

my facebook is pretty private and set mostly to friends only. i haven't linked my facebook or blog with my user name on any forums, and i think that helps some.

anyway, i feel like i'm sort of in the middle. i do make an attempt to not say anything online that i'd be really horrified to have someone in my real life read, although there are certainly personal or embarrassing deets that i'd rather not share with them. pics is hard. on the one hand, i think that a picture posted, with out any identifying details like last name or whatever, is no more problematic than posting the actual hard facts about your identity. a photo on its own doesn't help anyone find you, it would only confirm that yes, in fact you are someone they know, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:26 am 
***LIES!!!***

I don't really worry about it. I guess I just don't know what the harm really is. I think it's actually way more dangerous to post my own personal thoughts to the internet than pictures, because I have some radical and sometimes harsh opinions about stuff that could probably hurt me professionally. But I also feel like, do I really want to work for people who have a problem with my opinions? Especially when I work in a field that is all about an individual's values, practices, beliefs, etc.?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 89  Next