| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Was that in jersey or the city? Sounds fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Northern NJ! Its in Hillsdale. I don't know if you can ever make it out this way, but its a really nice area and not too far from you, if you're ever meet-up inclined!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, I'm interested in finding a baby wearing group. So far I haven't really found a baby group to connect with. My partner has had several playdates through a dads' group, but me not so much.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish, I don't know if it is because she is hot or not, but grey and several of his baby friends seem to be much happier in the bigger seat. He still doesn't love being in his seat because he hates being restrained in any capacity (crib, playpen, swing, jumparoo, you name it) but the extra room seems to make it not completely unbearable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:12 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've got maybe a rash? I'm not sure what it is. Where my newly enormous breasts touch my newly enormous stomach, right underneath where the bra-wire sites. I cannot see a rash nor can I feel any raised bumps or anything, but the area feels a bit like stinging nettle and has for several days now. It feels very hot. I've tried going braless, wearing a bra, wearing an undershirt, being topless as much as possible, it still hurts. I have a tea tree oil cream that helps for about 1/2 hour, but I think the skin there is very thin so I'm worried about using it too often, so I'm trying to only use it a couple times a day. It's not that hot here, so I'm not crazy sweating. Help? Ideas? Is this maybe where I'm going to have a stretch mark? Maybe the burning feeling is my skin stretching? I feel like it has to be related to skin touching other skin/ fabric in a way it isn't used to, but I just don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Is the area red at all? I've had (ew, I know) a fungal infection in that area before. Cleared right up, but took me awhile to figure out what the hell it was.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

mapmap, that's so weird, I had a very similar sounding thing while I was pregnant! I also never saw anything on my skin, but had a weird "hot"/pain sensation on my skin in the groove above my uterus and below my boobs. I had it for a long time, maybe the last 3-4 months. I also was always trying to figure out a bra/clothing configuration that would be more comfortable, but nothing really worked. I just tried to ignore it. Sorry that's not exactly helpful, but at least you're not alone..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Is it itchy? Could it be a yeast infection?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:20 am 
Naked Under Apron

I always use peppermint foot lotion on anything that itches. I have a Burt's Bees tube that is particularly potent. I had a random case of hives when I was preggers with Raygold and the foot lotion was fantastic.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:22 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

It's not red (there's nothing visible) and it doesn't itch, it just burns. I'm so sorry you had this too, moo! darn it to heck that you never found a solution :). If it is fungal or yeast, my tea tree oil cream should help and I will put a drop of peppermint oil in it too in case that will help with a cooling effect. Also cool to know that this is not the feeling of stretch marks developing. Thanks y'all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:38 am 
Semen Strong

I had PUPPP (Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques in Pregnancy, and the itching was so bad. It comes up at the very end of pregnancy.

My midwife prescribed XYZal and it cleared it right up, but my belly was a ball of fiery itch before that. I hope things are going well for you and that you get to be comfortable again soon!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tofulish, it could be both! I just upgraded Sven to a convertible car seat and he is so much happier with all the extra room! However, it is eleventy million degrees here and since I can't take it out of the car, the buckles and everything get super hot. To solve the heat issue I made one of these. I go out and put it in the car 5-10 minutes before we leave. If you don't want to make anything, ice packs in a double plastic bag work pretty much the same. :) Once the seat is cool and the AC is on, he doesn't sweat nearly as badly as he did in the infant seat.

Mapmapmap, sorry that is happening to you! I had itchy rashes near the end of pregnancy (and got hives after delivery, ugh) but it sounds like you're dealing with something different. I hope you can figure it out soon and you are able to be comfortable again quickly!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:55 pm 
Semen Strong

How cool! That looks great! I am not crafty in the least, but I'll try the freezer packs!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Do any of you use something topically for teething? Freya's had a bud for gosh, three weeks now, and for just about the last 24 hours or so, she's been struggling more. I tried some clove oil this morning, but she really really hated it, and I'm not sure how much it helped (maybe some?). Have the usual cold wash cloths, teething toys, etc. Also could do some baby ibuprofen, but something on her gums might be better. Not sure about what's vegan, but not too fussed, since I think it falls into the same category as non-vegan medication that I take occasionally. Orajel? Does that still exist? There is a cream here called Bonjela, but I"ve never used it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

refinnej wrote:
Do any of you use something topically for teething? Freya's had a bud for gosh, three weeks now, and for just about the last 24 hours or so, she's been struggling more. I tried some clove oil this morning, but she really really hated it, and I'm not sure how much it helped (maybe some?). Have the usual cold wash cloths, teething toys, etc. Also could do some baby ibuprofen, but something on her gums might be better. Not sure about what's vegan, but not too fussed, since I think it falls into the same category as non-vegan medication that I take occasionally. Orajel? Does that still exist? There is a cream here called Bonjela, but I"ve never used it.

Whiskey. I don't think I am supposed to admit that on the Internet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:28 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ha. I never thought about booze.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

There is a natural orajel, which I think is mostly clove. You should just avoid benzocane whatever you go with.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:42 am 

We did ibuprofen on the worst night or two of teething. I think it helped, but maybe it was just placebo effect for mom and dad....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:07 pm 

I use the Hyland's teething gel. I tried clove oil (in the form of Gum-o-mile) but Sven haaated it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have used the hylands teething tablets, gel, camillia and ibuprofen. They all work as well as a little whiskey on the gums. I out some whiskey on a qtip and apply it to his gums. They really seems to help until the ibuprofen or the teething tablets or whatever can take effect.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Our pediatrician said topical stuff is useless for babies, it doesn't stay on long enough. We just have done tylenol when it's really bad. A friend of mine does tylenol and ibuprofen because one you give every four hours and the other every six so you never have a time when the pain can get through.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:03 pm 
Married to the wolfman

^^ lots of people I know do that.

We did Tylenol with E as well as copious cold rags from the freezer, cool slices of cucumber, etc. The Magician has had Tylenol twice-- pre-Toothpocalypse we hadn't even thought about it, his first 3 teeth were so not bad. It seemed like both times he had Tylenol, it worked for 30 minutes and then he was MORE miserable so I'm not inclined to bother with it for teeth again.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We only needed drugs at night to help with going to sleep. The rest of the time she chewed on stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:49 am 
Naked Under Apron

Why didn't I ever think of clove? My husband used that when he had a canker sore once. I have a big bottle because I like to wear it like perfume (because perfume -- any perfume -- smells like asparagus on me and oils smell awesome). That stuff will numb you for a while. (I know you just said it didn't work on Freya, but I still think I will try it next time I have a wee one.)

I tried whisky on Beet, but it didn't work. I heard it works well for some kids, though.

My friend used to swear by those Hylands teething tablets or whatever they're called.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:26 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kdub wrote:
There is a natural orajel, which I think is mostly clove. You should just avoid benzocane whatever you go with.

Re: benzocaine
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Consume ... 306062.htm

Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 82  Next