| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

poopiebitch wrote:
dragonssister wrote:
Can't wait for walking! (I know I will regret saying that!)

Whenever I would say that I couldn't wait for poopiebaby to walk, people would ALWAYS say "oh, haha, you're going to change your mind once he starts!" in a super condescending tone. Guess what? Walking was the best thing that ever happened to us. Those people clearly never had babies who hating being put down EVER and wouldn't tolerate a stroller.

Those were the same people who said I would miss the days before he could talk, and the days before he ate solid foods, etc etc. Those finger-wagging, "just you wait!" know-it-alls? They were wrong. Sure, enjoy every stage, because they each fly by faster than the last, but don't let other people tell you what you're allowed to look forward to, or what will make your life better. Nearly every new development has made my life progressively easier - so take THAT, people who want to sound like you've mastered some secret level of parenting superiority that I couldn't possibly imagine yet. You suck.

[/rant]

ilu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:01 pm 
Semen Strong

poopiebitch wrote:
Nearly every new development has made my life progressively easier - so take THAT, people who want to sound like you've mastered some secret level of parenting superiority that I couldn't possibly imagine yet. You suck.

[/rant]

I wanna fly to Memphis, French kiss you and eat a slice of your cake.

I hate the "just you waiters" - they've been wrong about everything, but there is nothing you can say to them because their experience trumps everything including logic and reality. All the people who told me cloth was going to be a nightmare, for example - we have had zero blow-outs, its been really easy, we've never had to boil our diaps, and even my husband finds them easy and fuss-free.

And its so good to hear that every development makes life easier with Peterpoopie. I think every new development has made me happier, because it makes her happier and prouder. And then she laughs like this and my heart explodes.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 pm 
And you never will.

littlebear wrote:
ilu

ilu2

Tofulish wrote:
I wanna fly to Memphis, French kiss you and eat a slice of your cake.

I also want this to happen. Bring cute baby for snuggles and noms.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hahahahaha, Poopiebitch! I also loved it once my kids could walk, etc. They might as well have been saying, "just you wait until your baby sleeps through the night, you will miss not sleeping for more than 90 minutes straight more than you can ever imagine." ;p~~

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Omg laughing Leela!

/faints from cuteness

More to say but time for nap.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:55 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ugh, I would like to add to the rant all the times people told me "you don't know, you're not a parent."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:08 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Just look at Leela!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

LOVE Leela's laughing pic!!! Pure joy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think we need to see lots more pics of Leela and Cuddles! <3

And being able to walk was the greatest thing ever for us too. Lydia is so good at walking for surprisingly long distances while holding my hand, and when she tires out, she will ask to sit in the stroller. She didn't used to like the stroller, but she seems to realize that it can be nice to be pushed when you get tired.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:25 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

holy crepe Leela is the greatest ever!
and a big ol' +1 to hating the "just-you-wait"ers. Especially about stuff like cloth diapering. And walking, because honestly for us, long walks are a great source of entertainment and Dahlia enjoys it SO much more when she can hold my hand, pick up sticks, walk up and down people's stoops and driveways etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:29 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Leela is sooo cute! I just want to kiss her squishy little face :)

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

With E, pretty much every development made our lives together better. Especially walking and talking!! I've said it before, I really did not enjoy his babyhood and was not sad to see it go.

With M I feel totally different. I AM going to miss him being a baby. He's totally out of 0-3 m clothing now and the smallest prefolds and I sobbed hysterically when I put them away. Never thought I'd feel that way about a baby, but M has just been so goddamn enjoyable from the start.

So I guess I understand the just you waiters a bit better now, though they still suck.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:09 pm 

Thanks for the comments about babysitting. I still don't know what I'm going to do. I'm torn between thinking that this is just a natural milestone, something that I *should* do, and thinking that if it freaks me out this much, then maybe I/we aren't ready yet.

On the arching back thing..at least in childcare, this is a really common phenomenon between 9-12 months. I think it's exactly what some of you have said, that they know they can move on their own and don't like the loss of control/determination that comes with a car seat/highchair, etc.

Ditto to those saying they love their kiddo's new developments. Really, how could you not? Sure, screeching loudly at 5 a.m. just because it sounds cool isn't in my plan for the day, but you know, you roll with the punches. :)

@tofulish, Freya has been doing this, only during afternoon nap, for a few days now "She cries and fights and then falls asleep, but the minute she wakes up, she screams and cries again." It's so weird. She wakes up and just screams and then needs to be comforted. I thought maybe it was nightmares even, but it seems more like "really really unhappy to be awake".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Here is my dumb question and google isn't helping and neither is my pediatrician. Leela has had a cold for nearly 3 weeks now - her nose is basically a yellow/green snot waterfall, which tells me it isn't allergies but a cold or some kind of infection. When she sleeps the postnasal drip is going right down her throat and causing her to wheeze and gargle, and finally to cough and wake herself up. So my ped examined her, said her chest is clear and recommended Children's Zyrtec to dry up the postnasal drip. But Zyrtec is an allergy remedy so I am not really thinking that is the right solution. She doesn't cough as much sitting up, but isn't happy sleeping sitting up.

So (1) do I use the Zyrtec, even just to tell my ped I tried it or are there reasons not to? and (2) is there something else to use to relieve postnasal drip for an infant that is the result of a cold?

Thanks savvy mamas!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hmmm, not sure about the Zyrtec, it's just not something I have experience with. I do find it helpful when my little ones are really snotty like that to do a saline spray followed by suction (we use the brilliant, gross Nosefrida). On a terrible night we might have to do it two or three times, but in general just giving her a good clean-out before bedtime seems to really help her sleep better. Poor snotty, adorable baby!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I use the saline spray and Nosefrida too, but I also use the Hyland's Allergy Relief 4 Kids tablets and that seems to help snottiness/drip quite a bit.

Edit: It says for kids 2 and up, but I can't for the life of me imagine what the distinction is. Homeopathic microdoses are so safe and have no risk of overdose. I use it for the bad mold allergies here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:46 am 
Semen Strong

The Zyrtec didn't work. She slept well from 5 to 4:30 am, and then her nose started go crazy again. She is exhausted after breakfast and needs to nurse and nap, but can't because of all the snot. Poor baby. ARGH!

And I am tired and cranky, and need to go get a NoseFrida, but I don't want to drive or anything feeling like a truck just ran over me. Urgh. My husband is watching her. I need an hour nap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:56 am 
***LIES!!!***

Sometimes allergies and colds set each other off. I would try the zyrtec.

Eta: whoops, missed the update. Can your ped suggest anything else that might dry her out?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
The Zyrtec didn't work. She slept well from 5 to 4:30 am, and then her nose started go crazy again. She is exhausted after breakfast and needs to nurse and nap, but can't because of all the snot. Poor baby. ARGH!

And I am tired and cranky, and need to go get a NoseFrida, but I don't want to drive or anything feeling like a truck just ran over me. Urgh. My husband is watching her. I need an hour nap.

Wait, she slept 11.5 hours?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:44 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, and she just finally fell asleep again. She's been trying to nurse to sleep since 10 am but keeps waking herself up with the coughs from the post nasal drip.

I think she's just trying to heal up poor muffin. I'm going back to sleep now too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:46 pm 
And you never will.

Aw, I'm sorry poor Leela is having such a hard time. It sucks when babies can't breathe (for you and for her).

In other news, I will give one million dollars to anyone who can make my child sleep for 11.5 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

poopiebitch wrote:
Aw, I'm sorry poor Leela is having such a hard time. It sucks when babies can't breathe (for you and for her).

In other news, I will give one million dollars to anyone who can make my child sleep for 11.5 hours.

+1 yummy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:21 pm 

Yeah, I'll become your indentured servant can you make Freya do that. She just woke up after maybe 35 minutes of sleep, after a trip to the playground, eating spaghetti for the first time, rolling around like a breakdancing maniac in the bed. She should be freaking exhausted, but no...I clean up some kitchen stuff (because the man has a cold), sit down for about 8 minutes and "waaaaah". Then up the stairs where, after 3 1/2 months of cajoling her into taking boobies, I'm now faced with the prospect of convincing her that she doesn't *need* boobies to fall asleep (because her belly is full of plenty of milk, spaghetti, avocado, veggie burger, bread, zucchini, pear...)

I just said to K, about the breastfeeding thing "you have no idea how forked up my head is right now". If we make it to a year, I swear, I will fall down and kiss Mother Earth.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:22 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela is generally a pretty excellent sleeper. FWIW, my acupuncuturist said she would be bc she worked to remove stress and strain from her in utero. So, yeah, no idea if that is true. The wind-down routine from Llama Llama Nighty Night has been a godsend too - I just wish she was feeling better though.

Also, she thinks the Nosefrida is an outrage.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:09 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

[quote="mandycoot"
Edit: It says for kids 2 and up, but I can't for the life of me imagine what the distinction is. Homeopathic microdoses are so safe and have no risk of overdose. I use it for the bad mold allergies here.[/quote]

It'll be safe, considering it's just sugar tablets or water. Heck, swallow them by the handful. Give them out at Halloween.

Also, nasal zinc can totally destroy your sense of smell, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Reference: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01240.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 87  Next