| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

coldandsleepy wrote:
ItsBoiling wrote:
Do you all have bath tubs or just showers? We are moving and I am wondering how much a tub should be on the must have list. I think it would be easier in the long run for the kid to take baths, but I know not everyone has one. Thoughts on just a shower?

We only have a shower in our current place. It hasn't ended up being a big deal for the Emperor but he has SO much fun when we travel to places with bath tubs. And I was a big bath person pre-Emperor so when we looked for a new new place, it did make it on to my must have list.

We lived somewhere with no bathtub when our little guy was 5 months-17 months old. He never dug taking a shower with me and still doesn't, so we gave him baths in the sink which was really fun and cute and kept us on top of letting dirty dishes stack up :). He was just about to get too big for it when we found this place which thank God has a tub. It was fine when he was teeny but there's no way I would want to go without it now.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:16 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Got it, a tub is on the must have list. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:32 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i think not having a tub is fine if you have a shower with one of those moveable showerhead thingys. i've bathed tzippy with one of those and it was tres easy. we had a little mesh bath support that we could lay her on before she could sit up well. it's a lot less bulky than storing a plastic baby bathtub.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:44 am 
Semen Strong

Did you buy stuff in newborn sizes (diapers, onesies etc)? I've heard that babies grow out of them so fast you're better off going with 3-6 month sizes.

If that holds true for clothes, is that true for diapers as well? I notices that gBabies has a newborn diaper kit, which they say is particularly designed for newborns because they are cut to allow the umbilicus room to heal. But at the same time, it seems crazy to spend $149 on something she is going to outgrow very fast, if it isn't necessary.

Also, do all cloth diapers fit more or less the same? I saw comments that some fit better than others and its an issue of trial and error. Did you buy a bunch of different types or start with one and then shift if it wasn't working? Which brand did you like most?

Which pre-natal classes did you find most useful? when did you start taking them?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Quote:
Did you buy stuff in newborn sizes (diapers, onesies etc)? I've heard that babies grow out of them so fast you're better off going with 3-6 month sizes.
i bought 0000 size clothes for when my son was born, he was out of them in 4 days, but he was a pretty big baby. so for me, it was a bit of a waste when the 000 clothes would have just been a little baggy for a few days...

Quote:
If that holds true for clothes, is that true for diapers as well? I notices that gBabies has a newborn diaper kit, which they say is particularly designed for newborns because they are cut to allow the umbilicus room to heal. But at the same time, it seems crazy to spend $149 on something she is going to outgrow very fast, if it isn't necessary.
the thing about the umbilical cord is weird seeing as it's only there for a few days-a week... bit of a waste of $149

Quote:
Also, do all cloth diapers fit more or less the same? I saw comments that some fit better than others and its an issue of trial and error. Did you buy a bunch of different types or start with one and then shift if it wasn't working? Which brand did you like most?
the cloth diapers i bought had a deal where you could buy a trial pack of 2 for a cheaper than regular price. i was a little stupid and just bought a dozen straight up, and was very lucky that they fit him really well :D

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
Quote:
the cloth diapers i bought had a deal where you could buy a trial pack of 2 for a cheaper than regular price. i was a little stupid and just bought a dozen straight up, and was very lucky that they fit him really well :D

I was just asking the local moms forum that I joined about this. I feel like there are 100 different kinds of reusable diapers out there and it is so hard to know what will work for your baby. I also asked if they knew of a place I could go locally to check out different kinds and there is! Tofulish, since you also live near a big city you might be able to find a place that sells 40 different kinds of diapers and at least go check them out. My coworker had a baby in March and has been raving about GroVia. They have hardly had any leaks and have been super impressed with them. I have also heard good things about gdiaper and bum genius. Too many choices!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:17 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks Madame Dahlia!

Littlebear, I wouldn't even know how to check out a diaper! How could you tell if one is good or not, and even if its great for everyone you know, does that mean it will be good for your baby?

So much information out there! So hard to evaluate it all! I was hoping a prenatal class could help (neither me nor my husband has ever changed a newborn's diapers). We're going to be taking Bradly this summer, but I want to get more support, but also not drag my partner to stuff that is going to not be useful.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

well, all newborns are different sizes, so it's kind of a crapshoot. you are tres petite, and your husband (if i recall correctly) is NOT, so really, your baby could go either way. some babies really need that newborn size and are in it for a fair amount of time. for me personally, i hated putting tzippy in stuff that was too big for her, so we bought preemie and newborn sized stuff for probably a bit longer than we could have gotten away with. but newborns, unless they are real spitters, are actually fairly clean, so you need a lot less than you think.

for diapers, i'm still conflicted on that. for the amount of time that newborns use their diapers (and yes, you absolutely need the right size), i'm not completely convinced that cloth is worth it (from an environmental and cost perspective)... i did part-time cloth from the beginning with her (12 prefolds and 2 covers) and then when we sized up i went for 36 prefolds and 6-8 covers. again, newborns come in all different sizes, but a correctly fitted diaper is really crucial, and it's kind of impossible to predict what size they will end up being. so you can either chance it and buy a whole set of nb dipes, or use disposables for the first week or so and order your diapers after they arrive, (or do it halfway, order a small quantity of different stuff and do part time cloth).

don't forget, stores WILL exist after your baby is born! you can easily buy one or two outfits in newborn sizes for now, and then send a friend or family member to the store to pick up a couple more outfits. you can save your cloth diaper shopping list on an online store and then just press send after the baby is born and you know whether you're dealing with a 6lber, or a massive 10+lber.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:27 am 
Bathes in Braggs

also, i find that people tend to be impressed with whatever one brand of diaper they ended up trying and using. if it happened to work for them, it's an awesome diaper and everyone should use it! same goes for baby carriers. if they only ever tried the one carrier and it worked, that's the one most awesome carrier ever and everyone should buy it...

not to say that people's personal experiences with a product aren't useful, but it's a good idea to take them with a grain of salt, unless you're able to speak to someone who has really used multiple different styles and types of product.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Kai was in his newborn size clothes for months. But he was a tiny baby, just 6 lbs 3 oz at birth and he did lose quite a few in the 1st week, then was slow to gain them back. It was annoying (in a funny way, I mean, I can't really complain about free stuff) that everyone at my baby shower bought him 3 - 6 & even 6 - 12 mos sizes, then even after everyone saw how small he was they kept buying those sizes. It's like "buy big" is ingrained. So I had to go and buy him a bunch of newborn stuff (which really wasn't a big deal). Even now I still have a closet full of long sleeve, footie outfits in 6 - 9 mos size leftover from the shower that he just grew into, which will obviously be too warm for a jersey summer.

As far as diapers, I feel like a shill for Jillian's Drawers newborn size trial program I've raved about it on here so many times haha. But it is great - you get a bunch of different types of cloth diapers, can use them for 21 days then send them back and only pay $10.

I think the fit does vary a lot, especially with all-in-ones. It is especially noticible with Kai because he is so long & thin, you can clearly tell some diapers are made more for short chubby babies while others have a high rise that works for a baby like him.

I think if you use covers they're more forgiving - like the same thirsties cover I got in the Jillian's drawers trial fit Kai for months (in fact I even squeezed it on him this morning since his other cover was dirty) while he's now on his 3rd set of AIO's. (newborn, then small and now medium) I guess most people nowadays use the one-size diapers that adjust over time to bigger sizes, but I never liked those for Kai because he's so small they were gigantic on him even on the smallest snaps.

Even the same diaper has fit more or less better as he's grown. Like the newborn size bum genius worked great, then the smalls didn't fit that well so they leaked a lot. Now we're in the mediums and they're working ok again. If I had my way, I'd probably do fitteds and covers because they're easier than prefolds yet never seem to leak. My husband really wanted the easiest AIO's though, and he changes the diapers a lot so that's what we stuck with.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:53 am 
Nooch of Earl

There's lots of good info on cloth diapering here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4430

Summary of things I have learned (but not yet put into practice) from CD expert friends, research, reviews, etc:
- newborns, even giant ones, won't fit into one size diapers quite yet, but unfortunately it's hard to know how long they'll fit in NB size diapers. Could be a couple weeks, could be months.
- because babies are shaped differently, what works for one person won't work for another. Don't buy too many of the same kind of diaper without knowing you like it.
- Jillian's Drawers has a neat trial where you can get 12 CDs of various types in NB size to try for 3 weeks
- Some people use disposables at first because of the NB sizing/meconium/umbilical cord issues, some people say that a) it's worth it to get NB diapers, b) the meconium mostly sticks to baby not diaper and won't stain, and c) it's easy to fold a lot of nb diapers out of the way of the cord
- a lot of babies cords fall off in a matter of days, sometimes it can be like a month, though
- everything you plan will go awry
- diversify! (my NB lineup is 8 newborn covers in 2 different brands (which is way more covers than I need but one brand came in a very inexpensive 6 pack so that's how that happened), 2 dozen small prefolds, 2 snappi fasterners, 3 gorgeous fitted newborn diapers from a friend, and 5 small fuzzibunz. I'll probably top that off with the Jillian's newborn trial just to try out some more types.)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:27 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:

Which pre-natal classes did you find most useful? when did you start taking them?

It really all depends on your kid. I have a few newborn size clothes but I mostly bought 3-6 months clothes for him and am bringing both sizes of clothes to the hospital to take him home in because he can be born huge or tiny you just never know.

For diapers I think we are just starting with 3-6 months in diapers plus we have a few one size fits baby thru toddler diapers. The first few weeks we will be using disposables though because I'm sure the one size diapers will not fit correctly at all and I agree with littlebird that most babies will outgrown newborn diapers so fast that it isn't really worth it. I also found that not all diapers fit the same much like clothes so there might be some trial and error but for the most part all the diapers we bought for Reno to use eventually fit her properly.

As for pre-natal classes we never took any. I found them to be very expensive in our area and literally everyone I know who has taken pre-natal classes has ended up needing a c-section. Of course that has nothing to do with them taking the classes but I would be pissed if I spent hundreds of dollars on a class and never got to use anything I learned in it. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:30 am 

We are taking prenatal classes at the hospital at week 34, it is a full day class on the weekend and then the next day is 2 hours or so for breast feeding. Mr. B and I are both attending and we are only taking classes because they are free, otherwise we would not take them. I am doing hypnobirthing at home from a book and CD.

I have some disposable newborn diapers (on sale) and I am getting a massive deal on Bambino Mio birth to potty kit which includes newborn diapers as well as size one and two. I hope we like them and thought it was not a bad deal for so many diapers (covers and folds) even if it is just one type.

We do not have a lot of newborn clothes, most are 3-6 and some 0-3, but not many. We got a bunch used. I totally understand you feeling like you need it all now. I know stores will be open and we can get more, but I know the feeling of just wanting to be prepared.

I feel so so relaxed about this baby and the birth, almost too relaxed, like I should be worried about not knowing or having something or the pain of labor. I mean, I know we have time and need some more things that right now we cannot afford but can get away without (stroller, crib). It is Normal?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:37 am 
Chip Strong

For cloth diapers we bought 4 extra small/newborn covers (1 thirsties extra small, 2 bummies super bright newborn, 1 bummies super lite newborn) and 2 one size covers (thirsties duo wrap size one). We also started off with 2 dozen prefolds. We started using them when Ada was 6 days old and so far all have fit her well. The plan was to use them from day 1 but things were just a bit overwhelming in the beginning! I know the newborn sizes won't last long but I wasn't sure how small she would be.
As far as clothes go, the newborn sizes fit the first few days when we were using the disposable diapers but since the cloth diapers are a little bulkier some of the newborn onesies are a bit too snug when they're snapped. Today I put her in a 3-6 month onesie and it fits fine.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:45 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

It is such a crapshoot with newborn sized clothes. I had only a few newborn sized clothes, but I ended up getting more of them because Lydia was fairly small, and I was always super freaked out that baggy clothes would get pulled up over her head and suffocate her.

On newborn diapers: I think that's the beauty of prefolds. Newborn prefolds (like the ones from Green Mountain Diapers) are pretty cheap, and even if your baby outgrows them quickly, they can always be used as a doubler later on.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:52 am 
Nooch of Earl

JENNA wrote:
As for pre-natal classes we never took any. I found them to be very expensive in our area and literally everyone I know who has taken pre-natal classes has ended up needing a c-section. Of course that has nothing to do with them taking the classes but I would be pissed if I spent hundreds of dollars on a class and never got to use anything I learned in it. :)

We just finished Bradley classes (12 weeks). Honestly, I thought they were really repetitive; if you're the kind of person who researches and reads a lot on your own, you're just not going to learn THAT much. Most of what I learned was about the different stages of labor, how to recognize them, and when to go to a hospital (probably not relevant for us because we're planning a home birth and are expected to be in contact with our midwife as soon as we think we're in labor).

On the other hand, I think some of the other people who had not educated themselves as much got a lot more out of the class. The class is really almost more for the partners than pregnant women themselves, I think, and since it would have been a struggle to get my husband to spend his limited free time reading books providing different perspectives on childbirth and labor and medical interventions, it was a good way to prepare him somewhat to be an advocate for me and our fetus/baby if I'm unable to make fully informed decisions. (and I've heard that even when labor is going OK there comes a point where you just have to trust the people around you because you are not mentally present enough/able to meaningfully consent.)

In case it adds to the discussion, we paid $350 as a couple for the 12 week class series. This isn't reimbursed by my insurance (but maybe some people's do?).. We mostly took the class because it is virtually required by our midwives and birth assistants. We also could have taken a free one day class at the hospital we started seeing, but I've heard this class is much more oriented towards the concerns of teen moms and fairly interventionist births. (a consequence of the first time mom population they serve - it's a military hospital)

ETA: the one woman in our class who already had her baby had a successful 10.5lb VBAC baby, and though she did opt for several interventions that were pushed on her at the hospital, it sounds like an unusual situation to be allowed a hospital VBAC - 5 hours of pushing, shoulder dystocia, long labor.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:55 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I had one newborn sleeper that someone gave me and I packed it in the hospital bag. We tried stuffing her in it to bring her home and it was a no go. Like comically small. She wore 0-3 pretty much from the jump.

I had newborn prefolds, but didn't use them a ton. Cloth was overwhelming for me in the very beginning and things went a lot easier once I put her in the size smalls. You can always fold the diaper down to keep it away from the cord stump (and a lot of covers have a little divot).

We took Bradley classes starting around 28 weeks (I think?). While I enjoyed the classes, the techniques were NOT HELPFUL to me during my 22 hours of back labor. A nurse made me do Lamaze breathing towards the end and that actually worked a lot better for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 am 
Married to the wolfman

I don't think we had any NB sized clothing, but even though the Emperor was a "huge" newborn (9 lbs), 0-3 was big big on him at first. Even though he was only in that size about a month, 3-6 would have been way too big then.

Of course, he was also a huge spitter upper and so at home, he mostly wore a diaper and a blanket for his first month.

With newbaby, I think we're just going to buy like two packs of those long sleeved gown things with elastic at the bottom. I wished we had more of those when the Emperor was little-- they were by far the easiest thing to get on and off of him.

ETA: birth classes: I was a huge procrastinator and never ended up signing up for a class. But I did a lot of reading on my own, made my husband do some reading, and had an awesome doula. That was enough for me!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:14 pm 
Semen Strong

I think that is the main reason why I'd like a course as well -just to have some additional information and a tiny bit more space to dictate how our birth is going to go. I've heard too many horror stories where once things get started, the medical profession really takes over and that the default is that they run your birth, not you, and I expect that I would easily be pushed into a c-section. I'm not against c-sections at all, but NJ has the highest rate of c-sections in the country at 40% of hospital births (the US in general has a c-section rate of 32%). The WHO finds that women and babies have the best outcomes in countries where the c-section rate is between 5% and 10%, not to exceed 15% for high risk patients (ie multiples, old biddies like me, people with GD etc).

I am hoping that our midwife is going to support us in not going that route, but I feel a bit less secure in trusting her after the genetic testing debacle.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:28 pm 

I signed up for the class so that Mr B will actually learn/read/listen to something about this baby and birth. He does not know it is basically for him, shhhhh. He has not read anything about pregnancy or birth or children. I will need him to make decisions on his own and not ask me a million questions so I think it will be good. He will need to know what I want during labor so this will be good for him and probably eye opening. I hope I get something out of it too :)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shae was born 5lbs 2oz and wore preemie and newborn sizes for 3 months. Silas was born just about 7lbs, wore newborn sizes a bit and 0-3 for awhile. We would have been lost without the small sizes. But of course all depends on the baby's size!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:07 pm 
Semen Strong

ItsBoiling wrote:
I signed up for the class so that Mr B will actually learn/read/listen to something about this baby and birth. He does not know it is basically for him, shhhhh. He has not read anything about pregnancy or birth or children. I will need him to make decisions on his own and not ask me a million questions so I think it will be good. He will need to know what I want during labor so this will be good for him and probably eye opening. I hope I get something out of it too :)

My husband is the same way (not bashing husbands in general)! I've noticed that when he gets connected to it, it becomes real and he has a hundred questions, often very good ones, so I was glad when I took him to the midwife appointments etc. But the baby isn't in his body, so its not as real to him now as it is for me, so I am hoping that the prenatal classes make it a little more real for him and more importantly leave him feeling somewhat competent in caregiving for me and the baby.

I love him so much, and its super-cute how protective he gets of me. Even when I was uncomfortable during the midwife exam, you could see how agitated he was. So I think its going to be really hard for him to see me in pain, and being prepared for that is probably going to empower him to not feel helpless.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:33 pm 

I was not trying to bash either, I think it is hard for him to feel like we are having a baby because his life is *generally the same where mine has already completely changed. He works and I do not so I also have more time to read and buy things. He has expressed his feelings of being left out and jealous of my connection with the baby.

It IS cute how protective they are.

I know this is covered somewhere but I am stressing about non cow milk formula if bfing is an issue and/or further down the road. Do I need to supplement with other vits, can solids help with what the formula lacks? Would LLL groups be best to ask this?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ItsBoiling wrote:
I know this is covered somewhere but I am stressing about non cow milk formula if bfing is an issue and/or further down the road. Do I need to supplement with other vits, can solids help with what the formula lacks? Would LLL groups be best to ask this?

I had to supplement, and have had 2 pediatricians now. Both of them said soy formula was just as good as cow milk formula. You wouldn't have to give them any extra vitamins. Also, at least for the 1st year, food is just for fun/learning - nutrition comes from breastmilk or formula.

In my case, it turned out Kai could not tolerate soy (or milk) proteins, so we had to use special formula with the proteins broken down called alimentum. They only have that type in milk based formula, so that was a bummer. But it doesn't happen too often, so most likely it shouldn't be a concern and soy formula is fine if you need to use it.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ItsBoiling wrote:
Got it, a tub is on the must have list. Thanks!

really, it's not.. this will both save water and space: http://www.arealcoolworld.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 88  Next