Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9654
Page 53 of 112

Author:  oncewerewesties [ Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

sweet, I guess I've been worrying over nothing then. Thanks!

Though, the last orange soft drink I had made me violently ill all over the back seat of my parents' car when I was about five years old... so hopefully those memories don't come back!

Author:  mooo [ Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

My midwives had me drink organic grape juice in a quantity with the equivalent amount of glucose to the prescription stuff, and I liked it so much that I started craving it after I did the glucose test! You could probably request an alternative to the orange stuff if you want. Even a fairly conservative OB practice where I was a student last year was happy to substitute jelly beans for anyone who requested it.

Author:  Tofulish [ Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

Just be aware that not all midwives will do that. Mine wouldn't. She said she preferred something where the amount of sugar was more clearly measured out than in juice I could buy. But two of my friends with different midwives did juice instead and liked that.

Author:  oncewerewesties [ Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

we don't do the test with midwives/doctors here, it's just at the local lab testing place where they do blood tests and such so I suspect there won't be options, but I feel reassured it won't be so scary now!

Author:  Ariann [ Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

Tofulish wrote:
Just be aware that not all midwives will do that. Mine wouldn't. She said she preferred something where the amount of sugar was more clearly measured out than in juice I could buy. But two of my friends with different midwives did juice instead and liked that.


Yeah, I did the juice thing. One of the extremely few cases where my midwives acted like there were alternatives. Juice is really a standardized product, so I don't see how it's any different from the glucola drink. I'm sure they're not mixing it for the individual containers - it's a giant batch of glucola and then packaging by weight - exactly the same as juice.

Did your midwife present this as a required test?

Author:  Tofulish [ Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

Hahaha, we had the same Bradley instructor, so it makes sense that Melissa would have you do juice too! She suggested it to our group too, and Tina was the only one who wouldn't do it.

It wasn't a required test, but given my PCOS and the way Leela was measuring in the ultrasounds (on the big side), she thought it would be good. Her take on it is that she can't be sure exactly how much sugar a patient is drinking (because juices have different amounts of sugar, which you say above that you disagree with), and she could be wrong, but either way, I've done the full diabetes tests before (bc PCOS is linked to diabetes) and the glucola didn't taste that bad so it wasn't worth fighting for me.

As a side note, I am pretty much almost certain to develop Type 2 diabetes in the future, but didn't have GD.

Author:  Ariann [ Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

Tofulish wrote:
Hahaha, we had the same Bradley instructor, so it makes sense that Melissa would have you do juice too! She suggested it to our group too, and Tina was the only one who wouldn't do it.


Melissa didn't mention it to us (sometimes I feel like we took different classes!). I just pushed the midwives on it because I didn't want to do it at all (this is also after reading the Cochrane Reviews and Henci Goer's book and feeling utterly unimpressed by the evidence of improved outcomes after GD treatment). I know I run hypoglycemic and nowhere near hyperglycemic - GD was just not something I was worrying about. In the end I probably shouldn't have bothered. My 1 hour glucose was in the 60s. I probably won't do the test again.

Quote:
Her take on it is that she can't be sure exactly how much sugar a patient is drinking (because juices have different amounts of sugar, which you say above that you disagree with), and she could be wrong, but either way, I've done the full diabetes tests before (bc PCOS is linked to diabetes) and the glucola didn't taste that bad so it wasn't worth fighting for me.


Juices DO have different amounts of sugar, but not the same juice. I got a sheet from the midwife that said 10 oz. grape juice or 14 oz. orange juice (the third choice on the list was Coke). 14 oz. of orange juice is going to have pretty much the same amount of sugar across the board and if it's off by a gram or two our of 50, that's not something I'd worry about - it's probably within the variation in the Glucola drinks.[/quote]

Quote:
As a side note, I am pretty much almost certain to develop Type 2 diabetes in the future, but didn't have GD.


Why?

Author:  refinnej [ Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

How do you manage babies/toddlers and radiators? Our teeny England-sized "house" has radiators everywhere. Had them at my nanny house too, but was easier because it's a huge house. F, even not crawling can cruise our living room in about 4 seconds. hard too because she likes pulling up and holding on to the radiator to look out the window.

Author:  Butternut [ Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

We have radiator covers. It's quite nice to have, because they are wooden and it makes a nice shelf, too.

Author:  Tofulish [ Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

Leela has been pulling the base board covers off the radiators and eating the cat hair and dirt amalgam that has built up there over the years. It is naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty.

We duct-taped some of the covers in the living room on and I watch her in the bedroom. I wish I had a wee Hannibal Lechter muzzle for her.

Author:  sashi [ Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

Our landlord had radiator covers made for us when Ada started crawling. And yeah, they do make nice shelves! We keep toys on top of the one in our living room (its long and low down). I have to remember to keep her away from the one in our building hallway though!

Author:  kdub [ Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

I'm a little behind, but... Thanks for all the shoe advice!

Author:  TheCrabbyCrafter [ Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

refinnej wrote:
How do you manage babies/toddlers and radiators? Our teeny England-sized "house" has radiators everywhere. Had them at my nanny house too, but was easier because it's a huge house. F, even not crawling can cruise our living room in about 4 seconds. hard too because she likes pulling up and holding on to the radiator to look out the window.

Fortunately ours don't get too hot, but it is a big problem for us. The crawl all over the short ones by the windows and stuff things behind them and sometimes inside them. We have yet to find a solution!

Author:  refinnej [ Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

@cc, the ones we had at baby G's house were mostly not too hot either...these big ceramic coils. We have very different ones at home.

I can't believe I'd forgotten about radiator covers..der! Thanks!

On esty...this is what Google gave to me the other night: http://www.etsy.com/search?includes%5B% ... baby+shoes. 405 pair!

Author:  chiveggie [ Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

Has anyone used glass baby bottles? I'm glad that there are so many BPA free plastic ones now, but I still get paranoid that plastic still has other nasty stuff in it, especially if I'm going to be heating them up. Yes it's way too early for me to be researching this stuff, but I'm okay with be obsessive :)

Author:  refinnej [ Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

We used glass ones. We tried a couple of ones that we didn't like (one was insanely hard to get lids on, the other we just didn't like the nipples, but we used them for storing milk sometimes). We ended up using some by Born Free, that are fantastic. Really, they are one of the things I'd write about if I were together enough to ever post in the blog I registered like 3 months ago :). They make plastic ones too, but the thing for me was that if you get nicks/scratches in the plastic, then stuff can leach in there, I think. Also, we were storing milk in the bottles for a day or two sometimes, which is a bit different than if you're only using them to fill/feed right away.

Just tonight, I gave Freya a bottle for the first time in at least 2 1/2 months. She was a bit weirded out at first, but then drank a little (she's really stuffed up and was having a super hard time nursing, so thought this might be easier)

Author:  mooo [ Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

I wanted to use glass bottles but I don't think any exist that use a nipple with a wide base that promotes a good breastfeeding latch. That's not as important if you don't need to use a bottle for the first couple months and your baby is having no problem latching well, but my nipples were so destroyed that I had to pump and give Scarlett a bottle when she was only a week old and was still learning to breastfeed. It was more important to me for her to develop a good latch than to use a glass bottle. The bottle we use is called the Comotomo and we really love it because it only has two parts and is super easy to clean. You can look at pictures of it on Amazon and compare it to other bottle nipples to see what I mean by it having a wide base.

Author:  mandycoot [ Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

I pump into glass bottles (the Evenflo fit onto Medela pumps) and feed Sven out of stainless steel (Kleen Kanteen brand). They have a wide-base nipple, very similar to Avent. It's the best non-plastic compromise I could find! Just don't store milk in the stainless bottles, it will get metallic.

Author:  TheCrabbyCrafter [ Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

OMG, Kleen Kanteens for bottles. Genius!

Author:  annamal [ Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

Does anyone know if there's any science behind placenta encapsulation? I found this but I can't access it.

Author:  oncewerewesties [ Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

I did the glucose test on Saturday morning, the drink was definitely not orange-flavoured [not flavoured at all] which was a good thing for me I think, and it wasn't too hard to drink, so I was feeling really positive when I went and sat outside the lab to wait the hour to have blood taken [they don't let you leave the grounds] but pretty quickly felt quite nauseous and dizzy so that wasn't much fun. All good once I finally got to leave though.
I'm guessing I'll only hear back if there was a problem, so fingers crossed for silence!

Author:  mooo [ Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

annamal wrote:
Does anyone know if there's any science behind placenta encapsulation? I found this but I can't access it.


I used my university library access to look into whether there's any research that supports it, and I would say that there isn't. I still decided to have my placenta encapsulated because I figured it wasn't going to cause any harm and I'm only going to make so many placentas in my life. Might as well eat them! Haha. I was not up for actually straight up eating it, though. If you're interested in some anecdotal evidence, I've been happier than I've ever been since my daughter was born, and who knows, maybe my placenta pills played some part in that!

Author:  Tofulish [ Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

Ditto. No real evidence, but I figured it couldn't hurt. Ate part raw and am thinking of encapsulation of the rest for menopause....

Author:  littlebird [ Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

annamal wrote:
Does anyone know if there's any science behind placenta encapsulation? I found this but I can't access it.


i also haven't seen anything that could be considered real scientific evidence.

i still ate mine though, because it didn't seem like it could hurt, and i had a pretty stressful/tiring post birth experience and i felt like i could use all the help i could get, even if it were a placebo. i ate mine raw in smoothies, because i figured if there was a hormonal benefit, it probably wouldn't really stand up to being dried and encapsulated and eaten 3 months later. it was really not gross at all. i only ate about a third of it, it blended well and was tasteless in a fruit smoothie. anecdotally, i felt really good mentally and physically after the birth, and very stable and happy during tzipi's infancy.

last time, i didn't get around to eating mine until i was 7 days pp because we were in the NICU. this time i hope to be able to eat a bit right away and then have some every day for about 7 days. i only ate about a 1/2 to a 1/3 of it last time, probably do the same this time.

Author:  LisaPunk [ Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff

when do people typically line up a pediatrician for their unborn kid?
i believe my own primary care physician also does family medicine so i was just gonna call them and see if they are taking new patients but i wasnt sure how far in advance to do this.

Page 53 of 112 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/