| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

smoothie wrote:
ItsBoiling wrote:
Got it, a tub is on the must have list. Thanks!

really, it's not.. this will both save water and space: http://www.arealcoolworld.com/

smoothie i thought you were stopping in to tell us you were pregnant!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

Both of my kids were on the smaller side as newborns, so they needed the newborn stuff for quite awhile, otherwise they would have been swimming in 0-3 month clothes or small diapers (and with diapers, if they're too big, they don't hold the poops in and they look really uncomfortable as well).
I'd recommend buying all or mostly used items in the preemie/newborn/extra small sizes.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:24 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

We saw a few flats last night and they all had bath tubs, but I did take it off the must have list.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

smoothie wrote:
ItsBoiling wrote:

really, it's not.. this will both save water and space: http://www.arealcoolworld.com/

I have that tub and we love it! It travels well too - just last weekend I brought it to a hotel because I new we'd be swimming and needed to rinse him off afterwards, but the room only has a shower stall. It was so easy to fold and throw in the trunk, and worked great just sitting it on the shower floor.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:23 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Here's my 12 week old peanut posing with a size small Fuzzi Bunz diaper. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of diapers to use, since he's so little. He's preemie, but nine pounds in this pic. These are definitely not made to fit all sizes of babies!

lu and the giant diaper by just leigh, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:36 am 
Nooch of Earl

Bahahahahahhaah oh I'm sorry Raspberry Swirl, that terrifies me because I bought 5 small FB I was hoping to use during the first few months, but it does dwarf your little one, doesn't it!! At least it'll fit eventually, I guess?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:06 pm 

annak wrote:
Bahahahahahhaah oh I'm sorry Raspberry Swirl, that terrifies me because I bought 5 small FB I was hoping to use during the first few months, but it does dwarf your little one, doesn't it!! At least it'll fit eventually, I guess?

They are bound to fit eventually! But he is pretty short. He was born 17" long, and he's about 19.5" now. Good thing I only have a couple of the FBs.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Haha oh my that pic is hilarious! The 1st ones to fit my tiny baby were Monkey Doodlez if that helps...someone in the comments there says the same thing too. (I found them on sale for half price, otherwise they're too expensive unfortunately!)

I also saw these Lil joey's after he was bigger, but they look like they'd be good for tiny babies:rumparooz lil joey's

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:35 pm 

Aubade wrote:
Haha oh my that pic is hilarious! The 1st ones to fit my tiny baby were Monkey Doodlez if that helps...someone in the comments there says the same thing too. (I found them on sale for half price, otherwise they're too expensive unfortunately!)

I also saw these Lil joey's after he was bigger, but they look like they'd be good for tiny babies:rumparooz lil joey's

Thanks! I wish the all-in-ones weren't so spendy. I want to do the Kawaii ones because they are priced well and I have friends who like them, but right now I'm afraid they will swallow my little guy whole. Those lil joey's look perfect, but so expensive for my budget.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, for such a small piece of fabric you gotta wonder how it costs so much! But maybe you can find some used...like on http://www.diaperswappers.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:06 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Raspberry Swirl wrote:
Here's my 12 week old peanut posing with a size small Fuzzi Bunz diaper. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of diapers to use, since he's so little. He's preemie, but nine pounds in this pic. These are definitely not made to fit all sizes of babies!

lu and the giant diaper by just leigh, on Flickr

hey rs, i think that diaper has the ability to be folded down for newborns which makes the diaper shorter, that's why it has 2 rows of buttons. i think.... i have 2 kinds of cloth diapers and they both have 2 layers of buttons for this purpose :)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:40 pm 

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:

hey rs, i think that diaper has the ability to be folded down for newborns which makes the diaper shorter, that's why it has 2 rows of buttons. i think.... i have 2 kinds of cloth diapers and they both have 2 layers of buttons for this purpose :)

I think they do fold down, which will be good if he stays a shorty. We still needs to grow into the rest of the diaper, as they are big all over.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebear wrote:
smoothie wrote:
ItsBoiling wrote:

smoothie i thought you were stopping in to tell us you were pregnant!

no!! i haven't met anyone even remotely nice enough to have babies with. actually, right now i think i might be swearing men off for a looooong time.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:55 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Aubade wrote:

I second Rumparooz! They come with a newborn insert and run small in size. My one year old is almost out of his, but he is a big boy and was a big baby...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:00 am 
Semen Strong

How many diaper covers do you buy? They just seem crazy expensive - $30 for 2? Yikes!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:15 am 
Married to the wolfman

We started with 3 covers, which was doable but not great when we were doing diapers every day. We soon upgraded to 6, which was fine for the first few months. (Though he outgrew his first covers pretty fast.) Then we added to our cover stash as we could afford to. I think we have 12 now, which is enough that if we don't wash diapers for 3 or 4 days or have a poop-o-rama, it's okay.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:02 am 

Neither Mr. B or I have experience holding, chaning, feeding, clothing, etc babies. However neither of us are remotely anxious or worried about being alone with our newborn. We hear that the first two weeks are hell and we should have help and we are crazy to do this alone. We feel like we will figure it out somehow and just cannot grasp the chaos that people tell us our life will be in when Mini B arrives.

I know I will be in pain and sleep deprived and confused as to what to do with the baby, but that's ok with me, I figure that is just how it is, regardless of my experience with kids.

We do have friends around who will be by but I am wondering if we are just too lax about the situation? Is it really hell like everyone says?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:37 am 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

My sister-in-law stayed with us for the first two nights home from the hospital and that was such a blessing. The second night home from the hospital, a lot of babies have a total freakout and won't stop crying--she helped me survive that. If you have someone who could stay a few days and help you with the immediate aftermath(especially if you're planning a non-hospital birth, since the nurses helped me in much the same way) without causing any stress, I would definitely recommend that. But if there's no one in your life who is like that, you don't want the added stress of a guest, and going it alone might be better for you.
I would recommend spending some time around infants pre-baby to help you adjust a teensy bit. I'd never even babysat a waking child before I had my own, so it's definitely possible to just jump in headfirst, but given my druthers I'd choose to get any possible advantage before the baby comes and unbroken sleep becomes a thing of the past. Learning on the fly while sleep-deprived isn't as fun as it seems.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:44 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think you're approaching this the right way, actually. I agree that the first 2-3 weeks are hell, but getting all anxious about it won't help anything. Make sure you have some resources ready for if you need help, but that's all you can really do. You'll figure things out!

And important resources are things like the number for a local lactation consultant or La Leche League info if you're breastfeeding and some books (or websites bookmarked) on what to do with a newborn.

We had planned to tackle the first 2 weeks alone, but that didn't happen. My mom ended up coming out earlier than we'd planned (around a week after the baby was born), and having her there for weeks 2 and 3 was a godsend.

Last edited by helbury on Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:47 am 
Married to the wolfman

ItsBoiling wrote:
We do have friends around who will be by but I am wondering if we are just too lax about the situation? Is it really hell like everyone says?

It was pretty hellish for us; however, I don't think your attitude is too lax at all. My feeling is that no amount of stressing or panicking ahead of time is actually going to give you an advantage in those days. You may as well enjoy the end of your pregnancy, relax and enjoy being alone with your partner, and deal with everything else when it happens.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:53 am 

I am going to attend a Le Leche meeting before the baby arrives so hopefully I will make some connections there. We have no room for people to stay with us and since we are over seas from our families, no local support on that front. I do not know anyone with babies or kids here in London.

I have been reading a lot online and books about newborns. Good to know the generally freak out the first few days of being home, it makes sense. Maybe I will see about having my one pregnant friend visit us the first few days. We will have a birthing center birth and I know they send you home quite quickly.

Ok, now maybe I am starting to stress :)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:57 am 
Semen Strong

ItsBoiling, post a picture of your tummy and we'll coo to you! It makes everything better (for a second any way).

We're not going to have anyone over in the first few weeks. We figure we'll muddle through.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:57 am 
Semen Strong

ItsBoiling, post a picture of your tummy and we'll coo to you! It makes everything better (for a second any way).

We're not going to have anyone over in the first few weeks. We figure we'll muddle through.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:02 am 
Married to the wolfman

We didn't have anyone over the first couple weeks either, and actually, I'm really glad we didn't. Some stuff, like breastfeeding and babywearing etc, I really needed and wanted the space to learn without people around. It was also nice to walk around in various states of undress, have piles of laundry around, etc, with no one around to see it.

I think this time, we will probably ask my in laws to visit in the first month just because I have no idea how else we will juggle a toddler and a newborn.

Don't panic. The first two weeks suck, but they are such a tiny, tiny part of your entire parenting experience.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:06 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I wish we hadn't had anyone over. You'll do fine! And not all babies cry all the time!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 87  Next