| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

re: the diarrhea/puking bug. I too, would just put the diaper on and try to wait it out, at least once. If you're lucky, she'll scream like holy hell, but it will only last for awhile. You could try having your best distractions ready for then too...something so awesome she just forgets about the diaper. The childcares I worked at had the 24 hour rule too, FWIW (though we had lots of bullshitting going on sometimes, I have to say...grr).

This is really nasty, but does the poop have a yellowish color? The description of the smell sounds a lot like Rotavirus. It smells so mothering f-ing bad. Whew. If that is what the bug is, it can last up to a week. :( Has L been vaccinated for this?

Here's hoping she's feels better soon. Have you tried Febreze for the smell at all?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:35 pm 
Semen Strong

It is light yellowish and opaque (a mayo/mustard blend consistency and color), but she has had her Rotavirus shot. It smells terrible. I pick up dog poop every day and clean two litterboxes so normal poop is no bit whoop. But this stuff gets in everything and gets tracked around and so far peroxide is the only thing that makes a dent in the scent.

Thank you for the feedback! I am so perplexed by this - first I thought it was a concussion, then food poisoning, now a virus. She is eating though. I've read that they don't recommend the BRAT diet any more, but suggest normal bland food (no sugar) will help them recover on average 1/2 a day earlier. Now its split pea soup and sweet potato crackers....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kdub wrote:
Re: water breaking... I'm a teacher and was mortified that my water would break in the middle of class!! Didn't happen. My water didn't break until about 1 hour or 30 min before I started pushing, at which point I was nearly 10cm dilated. I lost my mucus plug maybe an hour before that? I don't know if they're related, but that's my 2 cents!

I lost my mucus plug at least a few days before I went into labour!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
It is light yellowish and opaque (a mayo/mustard blend consistency and color), but she has had her Rotavirus shot. It smells terrible. I pick up dog poop every day and clean two litterboxes so normal poop is no bit whoop. But this stuff gets in everything and gets tracked around and so far peroxide is the only thing that makes a dent in the scent.

Thank you for the feedback! I am so perplexed by this - first I thought it was a concussion, then food poisoning, now a virus. She is eating though. I've read that they don't recommend the BRAT diet any more, but suggest normal bland food (no sugar) will help them recover on average 1/2 a day earlier. Now its split pea soup and sweet potato crackers....

Is she teething at all? Miles's poop is crazy when he is teething. Its loose and it's the worst smell ever. Its only ever like that when he is teething though. All the Dr's the kids have had recommend just feeding them what they normally eat and that the BRAT diet isn't recommended anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:25 pm 
Semen Strong

That is so interesting! I read that BRAT isn't recommended (because it is so low in protein for healing tissue and that going back to a healthy diet shortens recovery time by half a day) and asked our Ped who said to keep using it. When pushed, she did say that as long as you're avoiding dairy, oils, sugars, spicy food and pasta (who knew?) you should be allowing her system to heal. Isn't it interesting how different MDs recommend such different things? So my compromise was that L had split pea soup and toast and loved it and a mini banana milkshake for dessert :) I keep thinking she is out of the woods, because we'll have a few good hours and then she gets sick again, so I am leery of being

I've never ever seen her poop like this - but she is teething (when are they not? :) ) on the same 3 molars that have been breaking through forever.

Thanks for the input and advice!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:50 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

it's been my experience that rotavirus poop is bright emerald green (no irish jokes please) and the smell is very distinct. i definitely remember teething poops being weird and also butt-burny (more so than other poop).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 pm 

Butt-burny...yum!

I had no idea the BRAT diet was old news.
Tofulish wrote:
Isn't it interesting how different MDs recommend such different things?

I have a theory that some MDs are working the path of least resistance, meaning that they tell you what they expect you want to hear, in order to minimize the complaining or even just honest questioning.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I heard to go with brat while you are really sick, then to switch to a regular diet as soon as possible, like no more than 1-2 days. I dunno for sure though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:33 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Butternut wrote:
Butt-burny...yum!

I had no idea the BRAT diet was old news.
Tofulish wrote:
Isn't it interesting how different MDs recommend such different things?

I have a theory that some MDs are working the path of least resistance, meaning that they tell you what they expect you want to hear, in order to minimize the complaining or even just honest questioning.

man, i would not be surprised. i cannot imagine being a family practice doctor though... it sounds like one of the most boring and repetitive jobs in the world. my kids' pediatrician is really nice, and very smart, but the majority of her daily job is measuring and weighing kids, looking at rashes, calming anxious parents and prescribing antibiotics. anything interesting or serious gets sent straight to the hospital, it's just cold after cold after ear infection after flu bug. ugh. hah.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:47 am 
***LIES!!!***

I don't know. I think that'd be a pretty interesting job, especially if you could spend a little time getting to know the families and kids.

Tofulish - hope Leela is feeling better! I personally follow the rule of eating whatever you can keep down when you're sick, but babies are not so good at communicating what they might think that would be. But sometimes I just know if I eat a bowl of ramen I'll keep it down, but tea and toast I won't (I don't know why). So that's what I eat. The docs have always recommended pedialyte or clear juices when Malka has barfed - less likely to be thrown up than milk, but will at least keep them hydrated. Unfortunately, Malka is not interested in drinking those things ever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:44 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for asking! Knock wood she is on the mend. Last night was our first night with no vomiting or night terrors since she got sick, and she had her first well formed poop, even though it was still a weird color, and she still seems to have the butt-burns, because she won't let me touch or wipe her. I had to lure her into the kitchen and then do a fast wipe and splash.

Leela also will not drink pedialyte, so we've been pretty much nursing non-stop, even if that means she pukes it up. She had toast for breakfast and I made the Arabian Lentil Stew from AFR, with extra rice so it was a lot like a congee with lentils for protein. Now she is drinking lemon ginger tea, which she loves. I am just hoping that she is doing better and that I don't catch what she had - a lot of adults in our parents group seem to have it.

We had to cancel our weekend plans though, because I think she is going to still be contagious, and I am so sad about that, because I've been looking forward to seeing my friends for a couple of months - Nemo interfered last time.

I think being a ped could be really interesting - its wonderful to watch these babies grow up!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:39 pm 
Nooch of Earl

That's so annoying, Tlish. I hate that "feeling fine but contagious or appearing contagious" stage so much. It's aaaaaall hedge mazes and axes during those days. But I'm glad to hear she's getting through it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:14 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:
It's aaaaaall hedge mazes and axes during those days.

You get me. You really get me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kimba wrote:
I heard to go with brat while you are really sick, then to switch to a regular diet as soon as possible, like no more than 1-2 days. I dunno for sure though.

This is our theory too. The BRAT diet does seem to be helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

oh man, sick babies sounds like the worst thing to deal with! Pleased to hear Leela is on the mend though, even if you do have to miss out on your weekend plans : /

Is the rotavirus vaccine routine over there? It is offered here but not part of the regular schedule and you have to opt in [and pay] for it before 14 weeks, so we can still have it at the same time as her regular 3 month immunisations, but we hadn't decided for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 pm 

Yes, it's routine here. For us, it was oral and not traumatic compared to some of the shots.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:26 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Butt-burns :( Poor baby.

Just a note on the rotavirus vaccine. Finny had a reaction to it when he got it as part of his 3 month shots. It caused blood and mucus in his poop. Since those symptoms can be a sign of allergies, it led to a month long oddesy of trying to figure out what he was allergic to. (Our doctor was convinced it was soy.) Ultimately, the doctor decided he had no allergies, but not before Finny and I both switched our diets around a million different ways. Knowing all this, I probably still would have had him vaccinated for rotavirus, but it would have been nice to skip all the allergy hysteria.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:18 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I'm giggling over the term "incompetent cervix." Though since it's listed as a reason for bed rest, it's probably not fun, whatever it is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:26 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mollyjade wrote:
I'm giggling over the term "incompetent cervix." Though since it's listed as a reason for bed rest, it's probably not fun, whatever it is.

basically, your cervix naturally dilates during late pregnancy, but in this case, the cervix dilates much too early, which will cause a miscarriage or very preterm labour. very not fun at all. the solution is often a stitch in the cervix, preventing it from opening.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

it's also a thing that lots of pregnancy and women's health terms are very negative and failure based, whereas men's health terms usually aren't.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:36 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ie:

senile gravida (pregnant woman over 35)
discharge (healthy, normal cervical fluid)
hostile mucus
inadequate pelvis
spontaneous abortion (miscarriage)
irritable cervix
incompetent cervix

etc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:43 am 
Seagull of the PPK

funny eh? not erection failure, but erectile dysfunction.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Well now it just sounds depressing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

So uh, mollyjade, gonna fill us in on the purpose of this research?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:48 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I thought it was pretty funny that I was diagnosed with an "irritable uterus". Being 37 weeks pregnant with twins can irritate your uterus apparently....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 89  Next