| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

and don't forget failure to progress!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:36 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Ariann wrote:
So uh, mollyjade, gonna fill us in on the purpose of this research?

I'm in the very very early stages of planning to get pregnant. I have to get my A1c down to about 6% (currently at about 7%) and get the go ahead from a bunch of different doctors first. I don't really have any idea when I'll actually get there, but I'm collecting as much information as I can right now.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:53 pm 
Semen Strong

littlebird wrote:
it's also a thing that lots of pregnancy and women's health terms are very negative and failure based, whereas men's health terms usually aren't.

Well we do get the "miracle of birth." :) But yes, everything that makes birth or pregnancy hard is couched in really unsupportive language, like it was a personal failure. I am a particular fan of "AMA" Advance Maternal Age - which makes you feel like a crone.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

haha, i know t'lish! i was feeling chipper and young til i realised when i was pregnant with zaf that i was one year off being a "senile gravada" SENILE????? i mean come on. fork that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i had to google senile gravida to see if i fit the bill and i guess i do.
i am a "Elderly prima gravida"

geesh

and if you are over 35 and having infertility issues you are Advanced geriatric status.

what the fizzle!!!!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

mollyjade wrote:
Ariann wrote:
So uh, mollyjade, gonna fill us in on the purpose of this research?

I'm in the very very early stages of planning to get pregnant. I have to get my A1c down to about 6% (currently at about 7%) and get the go ahead from a bunch of different doctors first. I don't really have any idea when I'll actually get there, but I'm collecting as much information as I can right now.

Yay for planning!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Any tips on transitioning to soy milk? We are now giving Malka half formula, half soy milk, but as we shift the ratio to more soy milk, I am worried about the loss of calories. The soy milk has like 70 calories per cup compared to formula which has 160. I bought some udo's oil to add to it - has anyone done this and do you have advice about how much to add? Any other ideas for upping the calories? It seems like a bad idea to get the sweetened varieties, at some point added sugar is a problem, but I don't know when that point starts. It will be so awesome to go from spending $5 a day on formula to a dollar on soy milk!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We do soy milk. We never did formula; we transitioned from breastmilk to soy milk at a year. I never worried about it because she is a good eater. We put nut butters and avocado in her meals so we haven't added oil to the milk. I can see how that might work for a kid that is reluctant to eat solids. I just keep modeling what I want her to eat and offering her options that are healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Not that I feel the need to mimic a non veg diet for her, but it's not like her stomach is bigger than cows' milk drinking kids and she's still getting lots of calories from milk/formula at a time when whole cows' milk is recommended which has many more calories so I don't want to drastically reduce the calorie count unnecessarily. She is just picking up the solid food eating, still not super interested on a consistent basis, she will usually put down one okay meal a day. If I were breast feeding, it might have been an easier transition because she'd see the plant milk as fulfilling a different role perhaps, but that wasn't a choice so it is what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:14 am 
Naked Under Apron

I would maybe wait until she is more established on solids to make the switch, expensive as it might be in the meantime. I would say follow-on milk, but I don't think non-dairy versions exist.

Would it be cheaper to blend soy milk with a little canned coconut milk (I say canned because it's a lot fattier than the stuff made for drinking) or avocado? That would up the fat content a lot! It would probably be pretty easy and cheap to blend a little tahini in, which would up the protein and fat (and not change the flavour much), but I'm not sure if that is the best idea at her age (intuitively, it doesn't sound as easy to digest as coconut and avocado fats, but I'm not sure).

Raygold took to solids rather late (and was not too interested in juice or soy milk or anything) and got most of his calories from breastmilk for ages. (Beetroot was chowing down on adult sized portions of food before he was even a year old -- it was kind of crazy, especially because he stayed so skinny.) Neither of my kids really drink soy milk (other than on cereal or in my cooking), so there never was a transition for us.

My MIL's sage advice is to stop giving them formula altogether "and they'll soon learn they have to eat solids!" -- Don't do that, though. ;D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Reno was formula to oat milk. Fully off formula by 14 months. We transitioned like you did. 1/2 formula and 1/2 oat milk and then kept upping the oat milk and lowering the formula. When she was on all oat milk we added udo's oil to it. We just put the recommended amount in for her age. She wasn't a great eater at all but would eat avocados and nut butters and stuff and she survived well. I never once wished I kept her on formula longer.

Just keep offering her more foods and offer the same new food daily. My kids both eat broccoli now because I made it practically every night for a week. They got used to seeing it and then started eating it. Its now the first thing on the plate they will eat. Reno will still sometimes dip everything in ketchup to eat it which is fine with me. Its better then not eating.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:26 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

we did hemp milk at one year but still gave D one bottle of soy formula a day at bedtime til I think 18 months. She wasn't a champion eater or anything and has always been pretty slim but it all worked out. I did put Udos in her food for a while but honestly just kinda forgot about it after a while.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Thanks guys. Jenna - I think I will do as you did and add the udo's when she's on straight soy milk. I didn't see recommendations for age on the bottle, just for bodyweight, so will go by that. Is there any particular reason you chose oat milk? I really wish she would eat higher fat foods. The only high fat food she seems to like is earth balance, which she will eat straight (and we let her, because at least she'll eat it, we stick it in almost everything we give her now). Crabby - she's still on a bottle, so I'm not sure how well an avocado-milk combination would work out with the nipple, but perhaps something to try a little down the road when she stops just dumping everything out of cups. So far she hasn't liked any smoothies we've given her, which would be my go-to for hiding higher calorie stuff. She did like coconut milk when our downstairs neighbors gave it to her, but didn't like it when we gave it to her (surprise surprise)*. Also, it's pretty pricey. Avocados, too, but they're a little less expensive. The coconut milk made for drinking is even lower cal than soy milk, believe it or not. I think I should make more nut sauces for her, she might go for that.

*She was playing downstairs today and the mom asked if she could give her some TJ's crackers that didn't have a V on them (but they were def. vegan), and I said, seriously, she gets most of her calories from you guys and you understand us, give her whatever you think is reasonable, no need to ever ask.

ETA: The other piece of the formula issue is that it just makes going out with her such a total PITA. We always have to carry water or go find water, the bottle has to be a certain temperature for her to take it (and for food safety reasons, although we are pretty lax with that now since we've never had any issues). But I can take a jug of soy milk out with me for half a day without major food safety issues, or even actually buy a single-serve container of soy milk at many places. It just would make her easier to be in the world with. Actually even just switching to 1/2 and 1/2 has made life easier, because I take out a cold thermos of soy milk, put half the regular amount of powdered formula in the bottle, and then only have to ask for hot water which is easier to get when out than body temp water and the soy milk cools it down enough.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:29 am 
Naked Under Apron

Ariann wrote:
Crabby - she's still on a bottle, so I'm not sure how well an avocado-milk combination would work out with the nipple, but perhaps something to try a little down the road when she stops just dumping everything out of cups. So far she hasn't liked any smoothies we've given her, which would be my go-to for hiding higher calorie stuff. She did like coconut milk when our downstairs neighbors gave it to her, but didn't like it when we gave it to her (surprise surprise)*. Also, it's pretty pricey. Avocados, too, but they're a little less expensive. The coconut milk made for drinking is even lower cal than soy milk, believe it or not. I think I should make more nut sauces for her, she might go for that.

Sorry if I didn't make this clear in my original post, but I meant the canned coconut milk. I would think just a tablespoonful of that thick part of coconut milk (or avocado) blended in would be enough to up the fat content to something similar to that of whole milk and should last long enough to make the price worthwhile. Udos sounds like a good idea, too -- we don't have anything like that here that I've ever seen other than Viridian Clera Skin Omega Oil and that is something like £20 for a tiny bottle.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

should i have some sort of vitamin D supplement ready for when BabyPunk comes home?
i take 2000IU a day myself in the winter and 1000IU in the spring/summer and am planning on breastfeeding but we live in New England where everyone is mega deficient. though it will be spring too.....

how about B12? will BabyPunk get that through breast milk or soy formula if we have to go that route?

do these things come in liquid form?
where do you buy them?
pharmacy? target?

what's the recommended dosage?

thanks (i have a lot of questions, geesh!)
:-)

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:07 pm 
Semen Strong

We used the Carlson D drops when L was an infant. It's vit D suspended in coconut oil, and if you smear some on your nipple while BFing they get it. Also I took Vit D supplements because as you say, everyone is deficient. I eat so much nooch that my breastmilk went nooch yellow, so I figured we were fine on the B-12.

I would check the ingredients on the soy formula if you end up using it to see how enriched it is. I would imagine it contains everything BPunk would need, but I am no expert.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:16 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ariann...she liked the oat milk. That's really the only reason that was what we used. With Miles though I made sure to give him all different milks so he wouldn't be picky about it. He drinks almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk and has had soy milk a few times without complaint. I alway's have kid drink boxes of unsweetened coconut milk in our pantry for whenever we run out of our usual almond milk or if we are going on a day trip. Its so convenient.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:26 pm 
Semen Strong

Ooooh! Kid drink boxes of unsweetened coconut? Where do you get those? They sound great for daytrips.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:
We used the Carlson D drops when L was an infant. It's vit D suspended in coconut oil, and if you smear some on your nipple while BFing they get it. Also I took Vit D supplements because as you say, everyone is deficient. I eat so much nooch that my breastmilk went nooch yellow, so I figured we were fine on the B-12.

I would check the ingredients on the soy formula if you end up using it to see how enriched it is. I would imagine it contains everything BPunk would need, but I am no expert.

thanks! im not super into nooch but i do supplement. ive been taking a dissolvable b12 tab (1000mg???) 3x a week. i think someone told me here that 2x a week would be sufficient but i figured since im pregnant the 3rd one would be helpful.
plus i take a vegan multi, right now it's a prenatal and i will continue those until i run out postpartum and then switch back to whatever vegan multi i was on before.

the only supplement ive read about in my 5000 handouts from the hospital classes is vit D but b12 popped into my head since it's typically more a vegan thang.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm positive I bought them at Fairway and I'm sure Whole Foods would have them. Definitely check Fairway!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:37 pm 
Semen Strong

I still haven't been to Fairway!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

You live so close to it!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Ariann wrote:
Crabby - she's still on a bottle, so I'm not sure how well an avocado-milk combination would work out with the nipple, but perhaps something to try a little down the road when she stops just dumping everything out of cups. So far she hasn't liked any smoothies we've given her, which would be my go-to for hiding higher calorie stuff. She did like coconut milk when our downstairs neighbors gave it to her, but didn't like it when we gave it to her (surprise surprise)*. Also, it's pretty pricey. Avocados, too, but they're a little less expensive. The coconut milk made for drinking is even lower cal than soy milk, believe it or not. I think I should make more nut sauces for her, she might go for that.

Sorry if I didn't make this clear in my original post, but I meant the canned coconut milk. I would think just a tablespoonful of that thick part of coconut milk (or avocado) blended in would be enough to up the fat content to something similar to that of whole milk and should last long enough to make the price worthwhile. Udos sounds like a good idea, too -- we don't have anything like that here that I've ever seen other than Viridian Clera Skin Omega Oil and that is something like £20 for a tiny bottle.

No, no, you were clear. I was resubstantiating what you said :) We have the Udo's oil now, so we'll start with that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:

Soy formula, like all formula, is by law enriched to the RDAs for infants and the macronutrient breakdowns of "average" breastmilk. It definitely includes sufficient Vit. D and B-12. It also includes DHA. Hopefully you'll never have to use it! Vitamin D supplementation is not recommended for formula-fed babies because the formula already has it, but it is recommended for all breastfed babies (including those who don't live at high latitude) because so many people are deficient and you have to not just be not deficient but have a really good store for sufficient quantities to show up in your breastmilk. If you aren't deficient in B-12, you shouldn't need to supplement that (or anything else besides Vit D). It's important that you continue to take your prenatals and any other of your general health supplements (like DHA/EPA) while you breastfeed and that should be sufficient for BabyPunk for most things. But definitely supplement the Vitamin D unless you know for sure that your own levels are really stellar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:19 pm 
***LIES!!!***

And +1 Fairway is really great!

Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 82  Next