| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:34 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

they told me i had one "minor" tear and one hemaroid. a day or so later one of the crazy post partum nurses told me the hemaroid was gone but i dont know if i believed her cause all the post partum nurses were nuts and not very good. im also not sure what "minor tear" means in their minds. ive been too chicken to check everything out

i can finally sit ok it's just when i have to poop the pain of actually pooping makes me scream and cry :-P then afterwards i walk around all broken and cant sit for awhile.

i think i may have been a bit constipated earlier which made it worse so i stopped taking my iron pill and i think it's getting a tiny bit better. ive been drinking fruit smoothies since coming home (all my food issues stopped as soon as Punklet was born! yay!) and im wondering if that is making me constipated. usually it's banana, OJ, coconut water, chia, frozen strawberries, blueberries, and cherries. sometimes a few fresh grapes.

i guess im just wondering if it's normal to still be in so much pain when pooping 3 weeks later and it sounds like it is.
i feel like a bit of a wuss only because i popped out such a small baby in a very short timespan so i feel like my "injuries" shouldnt be as severe as other people who have bigger babies or are pushing for hours.

ive started to make an effort to really up my water intake. NORMALLY i drink tons of water but i think i may have slacked off since often my hands arent free or my water cup is just out of reach ;-)

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:59 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i was given stool softeners to take just to survive the first few weeks post-partum. i think you can get them over the counter- the one I took was Colace. It really helped.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:44 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the sad thing is that i had a jar of powdered stool softener in my medicine cabinet leftover from when i had surgery and i threw it out when i had a minor cleaning urge when i was pregnant. :-/

it was expired but im sure it would have been fine

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:02 am 
Semen Strong

Yes, our hospital gave you a bottle of colace in your going home packet.

I didn't have any poop issues, just in case any PPKers are reading these posts in horror :) A baby might not stand between you and your lovely, long kale poops!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:56 pm 
Inflexitarian

I took colace for awhile too - and I wiped with those wet wipe things or took a shower to avoid irritating the area. My initial issue was a single hemorrhoid and a "small tear". At the 6 week PP check-up I was whining to her about my hemorrhoid and how it was so irritating and kept bleeding and she checked the area out and said it actually was "granulation tissue" (kind of like when tissue that is supposed to be under the skin is growing on the outside of the skin) and she treated it. Was soooo much better then! So if your issues don't go away be sure to get them checked out!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:23 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

granulation is SO easy to resolve as well [silver nitrate swab if i'm not mistaken, takes a second; my daughter always got it on her tube sites and it was super easy to treat]-- glad you got it straightened out, as irritation there is NOT funny.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Huh, I wonder if what I had was granulation. I kept being told I had no hemorrhoids, but certainly something was bleeding and making me want to die with every poop.

Eta: boy am I sorry I googled that.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:48 pm 
Married to the wolfman

LP, for what it's worth-- I felt muuuuch worse after my smaller baby was born than my larger baby. Poops were worse with him too. I think I didn't even manage the deed til like a week after he was born and then it was like hell for a while longer after that.

Hang in there buddy, I hope you're back to normal (regular?) soon.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Ariann wrote:
Eta: boy am I sorry I googled that.

ha!!!! i mean, sorry. i can only imagine.

the kid has problems with ingrown toenails, always has. I'm trying to teach her how to take care of them and she doesn't keep up with the soaking, etc. I did a google search thinking if she got direction from someone else [like anonymous internet strangerz] the might pay more attention.
you tube video *snapshots! not even the videos!* of ingrown toenails were some of the most vomit-worthy things i have ever seen in my life.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

my dumb question: how long post-partum did your hair stop falling out in clumps? [assuming it did that in the first place!]
I have always had incredibly thick hair, but each time I put my hands anywhere near it I come away with a fistful, and brushing my hair, oh man, it looks like a medium sized long-haired dog evaporated and left its hair behind, every time!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 pm 
Inflexitarian

For me I think the hair stopped falling out around 5-6 months. It never came out in clumps though - more like I would see several hairs on my pillow in the morning, and some would fall in the sink while I brushed my teeth, the shower drain would be FULL after washing my hair, etc. I hope it stops for you soon- I know it is kind of stressful seeing it come out!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Anyone have any resources for how much sugar and junk toddlers should be eating? We got a lot less vigilant about it after she turned one and had her first cake. And now she pretty much eats refined sugar every day.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Re: hair - I think mine stopped around 5.5 months? I was in a friend's wedding right around then and I remember being relieved that it wasn't as bad when I had to go get my hair done for it. It was crazy while it lasted, though! And then all the sprouty regrowth baby hairs, ugh. Really not looking forward to that again.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:36 am 
Naked Under Apron

Re. hair, I think mine started falling out at 3 months and I shed like crazy for a month. but I have pretty fine hair, so there isn't much to lose in the first place. Still, it's annoying. I'd be breastfeeding and my kid would be covered in hair. And, yeah, like somebody else said, the drain was so full when I showered (and my hair was only a few inches long!).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, mine came out from about 3 or 4 months til probably 6 months. So much hair! Now baby is 10.5 months and I have all that annoying wispy regrowth going on. It's not bad when my hair's down, but I keep it up at work, and my wispies stick out all over the place!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:21 am 
Married to the wolfman

With E, mine started falling out around 2 weeks and fell out until maybe 5 months. I have crazy thick hair, so it wasn't particularly noticeable despite the fact that it was coming out by the handful.

With M, it just didn't fall out.

T, this is not scientific, but my rule of thumb is this: however many servings/week (or whatever) I'd consider to be healthy for myself, that's how many I'd let my kid have (obviously scaled down to a kid sized portion). So, if I'm stopping to say to myself, sheesh, I had cookies yesterday, should I really be having cookies again today? Then I'm applying that same line of questioning to giving cookies to my kid again.

(Having a kid has actually made me a lot more responsible about what I eat, because um, often I'm like OF COURSE I CAN HAVE COOKIES TWO DAYS IN A ROW and then I'm like ehhhh but E shouldn't really, and then I'm like ehhhhh okay I better not either.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:39 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I was looking for something that I could give B to get buy in and honestly, B and I both are very emotional eaters, and we really don't want to have L eat like we do (which she already does).

She loves fried food - and will stand in front of the fridge asking for dumplings, she loves bread and crackers and eats coconut oil by the spoonful, and will straight up beg for ice-cream and cookies. I don't want to use dessert as a reward (especially after reading about FF's dessert battles with GG). We also eat a lot of processed faux meats - tofurkey sandwiches, Beyond Meat in salads, soyrizo and I wonder what the guidelines for sodium are on that.

Basically, I feel rather overwhelmed and stuck in figuring out how to design a toddler friendly menu, at the moment!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Tofulish wrote:
Basically, I feel rather overwhelmed and stuck in figuring out how to design a toddler friendly menu, at the moment!

When Beet was wee, I fed him a lot of sweet potato korma -- it was his favourite thing to eat ever and he ate adult-sized portions of it! Raygold never had that kind of appetite, but he really liked my homemade veggie sausages -- it was the first thing he'd eat in decent quantities. I don't do a lot of processed fake meats (they make me gassy and are hard to find and cost a ton, but mostly because they make me really gassy and are hard to find) and did most of our toddler foods from scratch. I kept a notebook of what I fed the kids for ages because the health visitors were such crassholes about us being vegan. I can dig out the notebook and email you some of my old ideas if you're interested.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:19 pm 
***LIES!!!***

T, we were really vigilant for awhile about Malka's sugar and sodium intakes, but have also gotten lax and need to shape up. I still don't salt her food, but I don't salt my food either, so that's no big deal. (We do eat out a couple times a week, so I'm sure she's getting her fill of sodium for the week on those occasions.) Our real issue now is juice. We started giving her small amounts of juice during one of her many illnesses and haven't gotten out of the habit. Now she knows to ask for juice when she sees it when we're out (which is why she was drinking it the other day when I saw you although I'm usually the no-juice enforcer in the house). I almost slugged my husband last week for bringing home a gallon size jug of orange juice which he said was "for Malka." Give me a break - she drinks three sips of anything before she's bored of it and that just means he's going to drown himself in delicious sugar water all week. Seriously, juice is the devil.

But aside from juice.....I also follow the rule of "if I think it's okay for me to have, she can have a toddler-sized portion of it." So if we're on a big WF shopping run we might grab a vegan cookie from the bakery to get us through the ordeal and she'll have a small piece and the grown-ups will split the rest. Or on the very rare occasion that I have sorbet in the house she'll get little bites of it while I eat my portion. She doesn't tend to have those kinds of treats more than twice a week and so far there doesn't seem to be any negative behavioral effects around her eating occasional sugar.

A big part of my eating struggle growing up was having such a regimented diet (and being forced to go to jazzercise classes and the like as an elementary school kid - horrible) and feeling so deprived and weird compared to my friends and even though I was so limited in having anything "fun" I was still fat and that felt so, so unfair, and led to an adolescence of both binge eating and anorexia and never learning how to eat normal food in a normal way to be a healthy weight. I don't want Malka growing up thinking that certain foods are off limits or she doesn't deserve them or whatever (except of course non-vegan things, but that is not about weight issues or health for us), when clearly it's not the occasional cookie that made me or my husband overweight. I also want her to feel like she CAN eat food she just feels like eating sometimes, because food serves so many functions for us and I think all of those can be functional, healthy ways to deal with food if you otherwise have learned to build a well-rounded diet (I disagree that it is unhealthy to occasionally eat for emotional reasons in the context of an otherwise healthy diet - I am not a robot just looking for my energy fix, I am a feeling being in the context of my culture). So anyway, it's complicated. We're just trying not to be hung up on it.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

I like the sound of these answers! We're at nearly five months now, so if most of yours stopped falling out between 5-6 months then we don't have too long to go, phew!
I have always said I wanted my hair thinned out somewhat [which every hairdresser I've gone to has failed to achieve] but this was not really the way I planned on doing it!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:36 pm 
Semen Strong

I appreciate everyone's answers, which are pretty much not to worry, as long as we're all eating a pretty healthy diet, which we are (plus she gets a multi with iron). And she does eat a ton - today we had hummus, broccoli, lentils, tofu, apples, berries, yogurt and noochy pasta. But probably too many Ritz crackers.

I would love some specific resources on the nutritional needs (esp re protein requirements) of toddlers, just for my own information.

Vegantwins kept her children from junk and sweets by only eating it with her husband after they had gone to bed, and I was hoping we could do the same, but we lack that level of self-control apparently :) VT's twins got kale as a special treat and would go running for it! I kind of hoped L would be like that. But maybe that isn't a realistic standard! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
I would love some specific resources on the nutritional needs (esp re protein requirements) of toddlers, just for my own information.

Vegantwins kept her children from junk and sweets by only eating it with her husband after they had gone to bed, and I was hoping we could do the same, but we lack that level of self-control apparently :) VT's twins got kale as a special treat and would go running for it! I kind of hoped L would be like that. But maybe that isn't a realistic standard! :)

It's cool if that worked for them, but, yeah, I think it's a super unrealistic standard! And honestly, I would feel way worse about "sneaking" "bad" foods when my kids aren't around than I would about them having a reasonable portion of it themselves occasionally. Even if they're unaware of it now, I think it'd be pretty hard to go a whole childhood without them catching on and it'd send a pretty forked up message once they do realize. Maybe it's my own baggage surrounding food (man, we've all got it, don't we?) but hiding what you're eating from anyone is a bad bad bad idea to me. I'm much more in the camp of "if I'm going to eat it, they can have some too." No bad foods, just some we eat less of or more of, some we savor a little taste of, etc. And like coldandsleepy said, thinking about how I want Inez to eat has made me more aware of my own food choices.

As far as nutrition requirements, a quick google turned up 0.55 grams of protein per pound of body weight for 1-3 year olds (something from Baylor College of Medicine). Does Vegan For Life have a chart or something? I don't have a copy handy.

From what you post, it seems like Leela is a great eater! As someone with a pickier kid, I've definitely been envious of her appetite and enthusiasm for food. It seems like you guys are giving her a great start and I wouldn't sweat it too much. Eating the crackers or the sweets or the spoonfuls of coconut oil (ha!) in addition to all the other foods she eats doesn't seem like a big deal to me. If she were ONLY eating those things it'd be a different story, but it sounds like she has a really balanced diet for the most part.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:16 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Vegan for life has good, but limited nutritional info for toddlers.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:09 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the reassurance Pinko! Yes, she is a great eater - but I do worry that she ends up eating more junk than she needs and that I could substitute that with healthier options. We just subbed out her ice-cream for homemade yogurt pops again and I am subbing out crackers for popcorn. That way she gets a treat, but its got a bit more nutritional oomph. I have to say, that I don't know how she could get 20g of protein - we do high protein tofu and high protein toast and nooch but she doesn't eat a lot of it. She also loves lentils and hummus, but again, I feel like she eats a tablespoon here or there not a big portion.

I like this from WTEWYE but I'd love everything in one place, ideally geared towards the vegan toddler. There is so much info on what to eat when you're pregnant, and so little about what to feed your toddler - everything seems to be about how to make your toddler eat, not guidelines as to how to get them the best meals. http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler-eat ... -tips.aspx

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:20 am 
Naked Under Apron

Tofulish, have you checked out just a regular old book of nutrition? I have 'The Manual of Nutrition' (1995, London, HMSO) and I like it because it is geared towards everybody's nutritional requirements without bias. Anyway, it has a chart of selected nutrient requirements and says for 1-3 years, 14.5g of protein are recommended per day.

Another thing I really liked that I learned from that book was that nuts have the same protein density as meat.

Also, someone gave me this book: http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Natural-Ba ... 0972469036 the recipes are pretty veg-friendly (it's based on promoting a plant-based diet, but there are a few non veggie recipes that mostly have vegan alternatives). It's not, like, the vegan toddler food bible or anything, but it was a really good start for me, IIRC.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 82  Next