| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:26 am 
***LIES!!!***

T, remember that almost everything she eats has protein in it, including breastmilk. I worry about some off malka's nutrition, but definitely not protein, that's the easy one! Malka gets a big protein boost from soy milk and tofu, but she also eats pasta and peas which are high protein.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:01 am 
Semen Strong

After 6.5 years of veganism, I know that everything has protein in it :) I think that was in the welcome packet :)

I was just thinking there might be a web-based nutritional resource that I could look at. I'll ask our friend who is an RD or maybe Guineapig, and I'll post here, if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 am 
***LIES!!!***

Have you looked at the ada position paper? It has details about individual nutrients that are important to pay attention to for vegan kids.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ginny Messina has a site where you can ask questions (she's on FB too). I don't remember the URL but "VeganRD" into Google will find all her info.

We've been using Vegan for Life as a guide; there are some good bits about nutrients for babies - adults.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:29 pm 

Just a FYI, popcorn is considered a major choking hazard. Babynut has eaten it with no problems so it seems harmless, but after reading more about it, I decided to save it for when she's a bit older.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:31 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh yikes! Thanks for the heads up. I feel like L is pretty good generally with food, but clearly I need to do a bit more research. It sucks because it is one of her favorite snacks. It would be so nice if all the wisdom about toddlers and food was in one accessible place on the internet (and didn't contradict itself, was scientifically accurate etc - but I guess that is a pipe dream)!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I think the stuff about choking hazards, etc. Is clearly spelled out in Babyled Weaning and in pretty much any baby care book. We do allow Malka popcorn, she seems to have no problem with it. We don't allow whole nuts.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:16 pm 

Yeah, I let Inez eat popcorn, too, and have for quite a while. When she was smaller, I'd bite the hull/husk part off her pieces and make her her own little bowl of just the soft parts. Now she eats it whole. I totally get people avoiding it, but I'm comfortable with her having it. It's her absolute favorite snack.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:20 pm 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/healt ... wanted=all

This is the article that made me think twice about popcorn. Warning, it talks about a child's death.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:38 pm 
Semen Strong

Well, that was horrible! Thank you for sharing it!

Its kind of overwhelming to realize that your kiddo is still in danger even if she seems to be managing food well. The child in that story was just under 2, which was shocking to me.

We haven't had a choking episode in ages, so I thought we were safe. I cut up nuts (but she has had whole nuts and been fine) and quarter L's grapes, because I know they're a choking hazard, and then she grabs all the grapes in the fridge and bites into them. But I do give her a whole smartdog to run around with, and it never occurred to me to cut them up. UGH! It just takes one incident, and you lose your kid. I can't even.

Ugh, I've heard three really f*d up stories of child death today, and its scary to think that they can die so easily.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Kate Harding recommends reading Ellyn Satter on how to help children develop healthy eating patterns. I thought this was a pretty great comprehensive overview for all ages and the challenges each group faces and the skills they are mastering: http://www.ellynsatter.com/how-to-feed-i-24.html

I am still looking for the nutrition stuff, but this was very heartening to me:

Quote:
All children know how much to eat: the large child and the small child, the big eater and the small eater. All grow in the often surprising way nature intended. Your child will get hungry, eat, get filled up, and stop eating (even in the middle of a bowl of ice cream). Whether your child needs a lot or a little, she instinctively eats as much as she needs. If you follow the division of responsibility with feeding she will automatically eat the right amount of food to grow and be as active as is right for her. Provided you don't try to control her, she can even make up for her mistakes in eating. To be competent with eating and therefore to do well with her lifetime of eating amounts that are right for her and weighing what is right for her body, she needs to be allowed to preserve her sensitivity to her internal sensations of hunger, appetite, and satiety.

Don't try to control the amount your child eats. It's her job to decide how much to eat, not yours. Instead:

Maintain a division of responsibility in feeding
Do family-friendly feeding
Offer sit-down snacks between meals.
Let your child grow up to get the body that is right for her.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

is there anything you can do about stretch marks after you already have them?
i have a few on my stomach and have just been rubbing regular lotion into them when i remember

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:16 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Mine just faded away over time. (You can still find them if you're looking for them, but I actually look kind of human when I take my shirt off again!)

T, I read Ellyn Satler's book and while I found a lot of it to be very self-contradictory and annoying*, I do think her root idea-- that it's your job to offer, their job to decide what and how much-- is really great. That's what we do with E, and I think we have significantly less meal related strife with him than most people have with their 4 year olds.

*she says kids should be offered a variety of foods, there's no reason to underseason their food/give them bland things, it's okay for kids not to eat anything... and then goes on to be like ermagerd you need to have plain bread on the table at every meal so they don't starve!!!! ... really. And her advice re: vegetarianism and children is not good either.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:26 pm 
Semen Strong

UGH!!!! Thanks C&S! Back to the drawing board!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:03 am 
Nooch of Earl

I've mentioned it 80 billion times before but I really like the It's Not About Nutrition blog because it has some simple rules that I find really effective at prodding my butt into offering V more variety, like don't offer the same food two meals in a row, or always offer a fresh fruit/veg with every snack and meal. I don't always follow it as well as I would like, but when I do I feel like I'm expanding her horizons much more than otherwise. And I like the general philosophy that decent nutrition will naturally follow from getting kids to accept a wide variety of foods and emphasizing fresher, less-processed stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:10 am 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish wrote:
UGH!!!! Thanks C&S! Back to the drawing board!

I think it's still worth reading! Just be ready to cheerfully roll your eyes at some things!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
is there anything you can do about stretch marks after you already have them?
i have a few on my stomach and have just been rubbing regular lotion into them when i remember

I had such bad bright red stretch marks all over my hips when I was a teen, my mom asked the doctor about it (I don't recommend doing it quite so bluntly) and the doctor said lotions with vitamin A and other lotions geared toward making scars fade are supposed to help. A lot of times they will recommend something like Retin-A for scars and stretch marks, but I think you're supposed to avoid them if you are nursing and I know you have to go off of them when you are pregnant.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:19 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Hey Tofulish, I am obviously not a mom, but I was just having a conversation where I talked about how very grateful I am to my mom for helping me develop healthy eating practises. I wasn't allowed any processed sugar on a regular basis until I was about 4 or 5. I was given a lot of dried fruits, fruit juice popsicles, etc. but no candy, and not much in the way of baked goods. As I got a bit older, and particularly as I started school, I was allowed some candy and treats and stuff, but we ate very little prepackaged food, and my school lunches were always super boring (which I hated) but nutritious - whole wheat sandwich, cut up veggies and dip, apple, granola, fruit leather or something. Things went a bit off the rails when I was teenager and my dad took off, so my intake of prepackaged foods increased, but boring sandwiches and veggies still made up a lot of my diet.

That probably sounds discouraging and hard, and I think it wasn't always easy for my mom, who has a major sweet tooth, but seriously, I am SO grateful for the relationship to food that I have now, and I credit that largely to my mom refusing to feed us Lunchables and tv dinners, which a lot of my peers ate often. That said, I don't think my outcome would necessarily be that different if I'd had the odd cookie when I was 2 or whatever, so I hope it doesn't sound like I think you're ruining L or something. I just wanted to share my perspective as a healthy, grown woman who has a lot of gratitude to my mom for the work she did to help me develop into, well, me.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:49 am 
Semen Strong

JoPa, thank you so much for sharing your perspective! Its really good to hear what children are grateful for! And your mom sounds amazing! How wonderful of her to make so much of an effort to give you very healthy eating habits.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:37 pm 

We have found that the best way to avoid the battles is just not to have the stuff in the house (I know, don't roll your eyes too much, heh). F doesn't know a thing about junk food other than chocolate and some graham cracker like biscuits. She had cake/cheesecake on our family birthdays this winter but she wasn't too interested. Liked the frosting, but then didn't want any more (leftovers) when offered the next night. However, when she was really sick about 6 weeks ago, we started giving her juice frequently because she was becoming dehydrated and the juice went down faster than water. After just a couple of days, she recognized the juice in the fridge and would ask/whine a bit for it. So, I'm sure that if we had cookies, etc. around we would have lots of battles. Once the juice disappeared, she was fine. So, for awhile, you may be able to just not have the junk or hide it really well?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I avoid having junk food in the house just to avoid eating it myself! (We do have dark chocolate and digestive biscuits, though.) Reggie drinks a lot of juice, but he has such a tiny appetite and is so small, I want to cram as many calories into him as I can. Reggie has a bit of a sweet tooth, though. I make cupcakes occasionally and sometimes out of the blue, he will ask me to make them.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:15 pm 

That's funny that chocolate and digestives are what make the cut in both our homes. (Doves Farm digestives here)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

refinnej wrote:
That's funny that chocolate and digestives are what make the cut in both our homes. (Doves Farm digestives here)

Hahaha! Smartprice digestives here (Morrisons are my favourite, but we usually do Asda because they are the only place that delivers out here) -- nothing but the finest for my family. ;D

(Slightly OT, when I first had digestives, I totally did not understand why anyone would ever want to eat them and now I quite like them.)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:38 pm 

I had to google digestive biscuit to see what you guys are talking about.

We avoid having junk food in the house, too. My philosophy is that I want babynut to eat the same way we do, and we eat mostly food cooked from scratch (unprocessed). My rule of thumb is to offer one green veg and one fruit at each meal. For breakfast that means kale in a smoothie. Of course we occasionally have things like smart dogs or tofurky, maybe one night a week. We really stick to fruit as dessert except for special occasions, just cause I tend to over eat on that stuff if it's in the house. We made cookies the other night and I did wait until she was in bed. She doesn't eat that much, so I don't want her filling up on empty calories. In that regard, I offer her veg and protein rich foods before I give her the bread or pasta in a meal.

I think it's a balance though. When we eat out she usually has fries, as do I. If we were at a vegan place, I would share dessert with her.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Butternut wrote:
I had to google digestive biscuit to see what you guys are talking about.

Me too! Now I kind of want them.

I have really gotten bad about the "junk" food and I'm having a hard time eliminating it now. We never had processed food in the house at all until I got pregnant, but during the first trimester misery I started buying a lot of prepackaged food for Sven. I've been trying to wean him off it now that I can cook again but I swear the sugar and salt have a hold on his brain. I have to be super careful in Whole Foods because if we go through the aisles and he sees boxes of crackers or animal cookies or whatever he flips out -- I've created a monster! I feel pretty good about his regular meals, but it's the snacks when we're out and about or in a transition time that get me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 89  Next