| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:57 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

mandycoot wrote:
Butternut wrote:
I had to google digestive biscuit to see what you guys are talking about.

Me too! Now I kind of want them.

My understanding is that digestive biscuits to us are what graham crackers are to you [being people in the United States], because the graham crackers from Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar taste somewhat like digestives to me, and if I remember rightly, googling 'graham crackers' confirmed it.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

CC, I thought that too! I still don't like the regular McVitites and the like, but the dark ones like Doves Farm (or the Co-Op) aren't so bad. We started giving them to Freya when she was smaller because we suspect they help her poop. :)

I thought of this thread today...we went to visit one of my old nanny girls and we'd taken some chocolate along to share, but then she didn't eat her lunch well at all, so I didn't offer the chocolate (she didn't know about it). Freya however, did know, so when we got in the car, I gave her a small piece. 10 minutes of "chock! Fey! nomnomnom! messy!" Soooo funny. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oncewerewesties wrote:
mandycoot wrote:
Butternut wrote:
I had to google digestive biscuit to see what you guys are talking about.

Me too! Now I kind of want them.

My understanding is that digestive biscuits to us are what graham crackers are to you [being people in the United States], because the graham crackers from Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar taste somewhat like digestives to me, and if I remember rightly, googling 'graham crackers' confirmed it.

I haven't had a graham cracker in so long, but I think they are sweeter and more vanilla-tasting. And square. ;D Like I said, I haven't had any in ages (maybe not since I was in school, as my parents never had sweet foods around the house), but in my mind, there is a huge difference.

I am fairly sure, however, that animal crackers are like rich tea biscuits (which aren't really very rich), although animal crackers might be a little bit more dense.

Refinnej, what do you think about Hobnobs? I really like them, but they are too pricey compared to SmartPrice Digestives.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:42 am 
Married to the wolfman

I forking love Hobnobs. We found then when we visited the UK a hundred years ago, when I was early in my pregnancy with E and throwing pretty much everything up. Instant love affair.

There is actually a store here where we can buy them! But I never go there, because Hobnobs are pretty much the only thing I ever end up buying. (That and this one brand of vegan salty licorice. Or: two things I don't really *need* in my life.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:32 am 

Hobnobs are too sweet for me (do they use golden syrup maybe?) but my husband loves them. As for animal crackers, a few of the stores here sell arrowroot biscuits and they taste *exactly* like animal crackers. I don't really miss grahams, but I have some weird cravings for those animal crackers sometimes. They are really pretty vile, I think, but sometimes they just hit the spot, I guess.

Now I want licorice too. :p

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:29 am 
Semen Strong

Seconding that graham crackers aren't like Hobnobs. Hobnobs have a more toothsome, crunchy texture than graham crackers, which have a finer crumb. I grew up with Hobnobs and I love them so hard.

Also Jaffa cakes.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, digestive biscuits are a bit rougher/more textured than graham crackers. When I was a kid, my brother and I called digestive biscuits "sawdust cookies". I had no idea what they were actually called for such a long time!

Jaffa Cakes...those sound so good right now!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

Americans: Does Cost Plus/World Market carry digestive biscuits? I feel like I am really missing out now!!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mandycoot wrote:
Americans: Does Cost Plus/World Market carry digestive biscuits? I feel like I am really missing out now!!

I'm pretty sure some regular grocery stores carry them, maybe Safeway if you've got that store nearby. I think Carr's brand. (I was raised in the States, and I think my [Canadian/American] mom bought them once in a while.) They might be called "whole wheat crackers" - they look like this:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh I've had those! I LOVE them!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bodhi wrote:
Yeah, digestive biscuits are a bit rougher/more textured than graham crackers. When I was a kid, my brother and I called digestive biscuits "sawdust cookies". I had no idea what they were actually called for such a long time!

Jaffa Cakes...those sound so good right now!

Sawdust cookies is pretty apropos. But then I dunk them in tea and they are amazingly delish. It defies logic.

I've never had a Jaffa Cake.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:10 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

You seriously must try them! They are like a little bit of heaven!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jogirl wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

Are there vegan ones?!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:49 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

bodhi wrote:
jogirl wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:

Are there vegan ones?!

The original jaffa cakes are unfortunately not, but Ms Cupcake has a recipe for vegan ones in her new book, which Messyvegetarian reviews on her blog, with the recipe (with permission)

http://www.messyvegetariancook.com/2013 ... ke-recipe/

(ETA: obviously I did not meant to suggest that Crabby should try non-vegan food - sorry, my brain wasn't quite in gear in my previous post)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:37 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Tofulish wrote:
Seconding that graham crackers aren't like Hobnobs.

I thought they were like digestives [not hobnobs], but will freely admit to never having tried a graham cracker so I really don't know what I'm talking about!

New dumb question time!
If you swaddled your baby for sleep, how long did you keep swaddling for/ when/why did you stop? Is is something I need to look at transitioning out of... or I'm hoping I can keep doing it as long as she's happy in there!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jogirl wrote:
bodhi wrote:
Are there vegan ones?!

The original jaffa cakes are unfortunately not, but Ms Cupcake has a recipe for vegan ones in her new book, which Messyvegetarian reviews on her blog, with the recipe (with permission)

http://www.messyvegetariancook.com/2013 ... ke-recipe/

(ETA: obviously I did not meant to suggest that Crabby should try non-vegan food - sorry, my brain wasn't quite in gear in my previous post)

Thanks! I didn't think you were suggesting that, but I was hopeful there was an accidentally vegan brand. I'll definitely try that recipe, thanks for sharing it!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

OWW - we swaddled Giles. Around 6 months he would consistently fight the swaddle and cry when he would break free - so that was when we weaned him off of it. It was about 3 days of sadness as I can recall. All the recommendations I had seen said to stop swaddling them when they can roll over because of risk of smothering - my pedi said do it as long as you want. I didn't feel like smothering was a big possibility because the way we wrapped him, if he rolled over the swaddle would come undone. We tried to slowly transition him out by leaving one arm free at first but that wasn't helpful for him. I spent lots of $ purchasing a swaddle transition product off-line - but before it arrived he was weaned.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:39 pm 
Married to the wolfman

World Market is where I buy Hobnobs Mandycoot!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oncewerewesties wrote:
If you swaddled your baby for sleep, how long did you keep swaddling for/ when/why did you stop? Is is something I need to look at transitioning out of... or I'm hoping I can keep doing it as long as she's happy in there!

Beetroot was like the Houdini of babies and could escape from a swaddle as soon as he was born! He'd also bite his scratch mitts to get them off. Meanwhile, Raygold would look at his scratch mitt clad hands in awe and confusion..."what the fizzle are these things on my hands?! Now what do I do?!" He was kind of the same in a swaddle for a little while, but started escaping within a month or two, IIRC.

I'm kind of jealous of babies that don't resist the swaddle.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:29 am 
Married to the wolfman

Neither of mine could be successfully swaddled for long at all. We did it a few weeks (like maybe 3) with E. M never put up with it, and he was a SUPER strong newborn, so it was really a physical struggle. (Both of them loved being jammed into the Moby, so I don't know what the heck the difference was.)

My dumb question: where does one even go to buy hiking shoes (boots? Or just something with stickier soles than his usual sneakers) for a small child? We've been hiking with E a ton over the past few months and his sneakers aren't really cutting it on some of the terrain. Twist: he has REALLY small feet. I forget the size but people comment on it often. We haven't had to buy new shoes for him in over a year.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 am 
***LIES!!!***

REI or other outdoors store - an army/navy store might also be able to help (our local one has kids' sizes of shoes and gear, but some are more limited). Our local outdoors store is called Campmor and has an online store, but for hiking shoes you should really try on in person.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:35 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

We swaddled Sierra foreverrrr, like way longer than you're supposed to, because otherwise she'd just flail around and freak out. She always slept within a few feet of us so I wasn't terribly worried. Unfortunately I have no advice because she just decided one day that she was done with it - oddly, at the same time she decided not to nurse to sleep anymore - and just wants to be sung to and laid down in her crib when it is time to sleep. I realize that sounds awesomely easy but the catch is that she barely sleeps past around 4 hours at a time STILL at 13 months old (but I'm not bitter or anything ha.)

re: hiking-type shoes, c&s they won't be good all year-round but Dahlia has done really well with all terrains in those close-toed fishermen's sandals...Merrell makes the pricier ones and not all are vegan, but I've bought D cheaper yet sturdy ones online at places like Gap and Old Navy. We don't wear any type of open-toed shoes here because yuck, so those are her go-to summer shoes every year.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Here's my weird dumb question. When is it important that your baby start drinking other fluids? And how much? tiny wu nurses about a zillion times a day and has enough wet diapers that I'm not worried about dehydration. But at some point she has to learn to use a cup and she's not really getting the hang of that (at 7.5 months). The thing is that all water experiences--bath, swimming, running faucet, my water bottle--are so thrilling to her that when the cup comes toward her she starts panting and jumping around, so no water is going into her mouth.

I was hoping to avoid sippy cups... should I just keep on trucking with the normal cup and trust that someday she'll get it and in the meantime she's fine with breastmilk?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:15 pm 

We used (sometimes still do) free-flow sippies with Freya. I didn't want her to have to suck on something, and also hoped that she'd learn about tipping the cup/water flowing/spilling, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

You can offer water with meals now, but I wouldn't expect a lot of interest in it until at least, like, 12 months. I wouldn't bother giving any non-water liquids until after a year either, if tiny wu is still nursing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 88  Next