| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I finally got around the flossing all of Will's teeth today, except two of his bottom teeth are impossibly close together. 15 minutes of tears, flailing and 3 broken pieces of floss, I CANNOT floss those suckers. If I hadn't seen them pop through at two different times, I'd almost think it was one giant tooth. Do you think it's anything to worry much about? Or just take extra care to brush that area super well?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Eep. You're supposed to floss their teeth?? I've never flossed my 2.5 your old's teeth. I somehow thought you didn't need to until permanent teeth came in.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:05 pm 
Semen Strong

Our dentist told us we didn't need to floss L, but I've read that when you have two touching, you do need to start. L loves to play with floss and they have supercute kiddy flossers, but I can't see effectively flossing her going very well.

I adore my dentist for telling me that I should floss my husband and have him floss me because its both great dental health and brings a couple closer. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:12 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We don't floss. Like Tofulish, I have read that you should, but my doctor did not recommend it IRL. So we don't floss. Brushing is stressful enough!

Honestly, I don't worry so much because both my partner and I never had cavities or problems with our teeth. I know some people have cavities no matter what, so I could see how the extra attention might be welcomed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:04 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Okay, that makes me feel better. I guess I just assumed I should be flossing. We have the kiddie flossers, so maybe we'll just continue "playing" with those since the top teeth were pretty easy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:45 am 
Saggy Butt

My dentist only told us to floss Sven's teeth that are touching. We do his front bottom incisors but leave the top alone. We also lucked out because he doesn't mind! If it was a struggle to floss it might be a different story for us.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Only Zeph's bottom teeth are actually touching. The top four are still growing in, and they've got a bit of space still. So we haven't started flossing yet, but I probably will as soon as I get a chance to replenish our kid floss. He loves toothbrushing(!), so I'm hoping flossing will go over similarly. I will return with happy baby toothbrushing photos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We are still majorly struggling with toothbrushing - I can't even think about flossing. The two bottom teeth do touch though! He hates hates hates for me to try to brush his teeth. The ped said to start out with a rag, but that doesn't go over any better so I have just been trying to get some swipes in with the brush when I can. I never ever would have thought it would be such a big ordeal every.single.time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Annasrobbie, I hope it gets easier for you soon! My oldest son was like that as a little guy, and it was terrible. All I can recommend is remembering it's only a short part of the day, so hang on tight and scrub quickly!

Here is Zeph learning to use his toothbrush! (I do the actual brushing. He does the learning!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, we are still struggling over tooth brushing. Flossing is a long ways down the road.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:51 pm 
Semen Strong

We were doing so well with brushing and now. not so much. Its quick and drama-filled.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im wondering if this is normal behavior.
BabyPunk does this thing during certain times of the day where it seems like she is trying really hard to poop. she scrunches herself up and turns red and is like RRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHH and then proceeds to cry. this goes on for awhile and usually she does not actually poop. it usually happens in the morning and evening.
she is peeing and pooping just fine as far as i can tell. this just seems to be an extra behavior. i havent kept track of poopy diapers since the week we brought her home but we only have 12 XS cloth diapers and i still have to do laundry everyday so she's dirtying the same amount.

i dont know if it's related to the lasix she is on for her heart if it's a weird side effect???
or if it's just a normal baby thing and she is figuring out how all her parts work. i swear she seems in pain like she's TRYING REALLY HARD TO POOP even though i dont think she has to.

she is nursing fine. every 1.5 to 2 hours during the day and 3-4 hours in the night. she's also gained a bunch of weight. i went to my first mom's group yesterday and i weighed her at the place and she weighed a little over 7 lbs!!! and then i confirmed the weight on my own scale at home cause i was surprised she gained so much.

maybe it's just a fussy time of day for her? the last 3 nights in a row 6-7 pm seems to be the witching hour for a crying freakout.
the trying to poop thing seems to happen in the early morning when we first get up and then sometimes in the early evening.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Could it be gas?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Hmmm yeah I guess. I've never seen her strain really hard then fart but then again I've never seen her do it then poop either.
What can I do? more burping time?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:36 am 
Semen Strong

I think the gas pain is just something most babies have because they have immature digestive systems, and it is exacerbated in those whose mothers have oversupply bc they are getting more foremilk, which is harder to digest. I think L had bouts of gas pain from 4 weeks to 12 weeks, with it being worst at around 8 weeks. We use the football hold a lot to relieve some of the tummy pressure. We didn't use any anti-gas meds or pro-biotics, because I didn't see any evidence that they were effective. I hope BPunklet is doing well!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:52 am 
***LIES!!!***

I remember Malka straining for a long time when she pooped. She didn't have gas and wasn't constipated, it's just something she always did. Now she seems to poop without noticing (although she does tell us it is about to happen).

Early evening is a classic fussy time for newborns. Also kids who have colic get really bad then. This was one of those times during the day we would put her in the moby and walk slowly on the treadmill, which chilled her out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:44 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's interesting what you say about the oversupply as i had never thought about htat but the other day i went to my first mom's group and i made a comment about her being a messy nurser and the woman who runs it asked me if i thought i had an oversupply and of course i have no idea what's normal. she asked me if the milk ever sprays out at her or if she has to like gulp when she nurses. and both those things have happened. mostly the gulping but she's gotten sprayed a couple times and i definitely leak a lot. i dont always have breast engorgement either but i still do sometimes and she's 6 weeks today and either late last night or early this morning (time is just a blur right now) i was like "why do my boobs hurt so much and why are they so huge"
so i think that may be it. doesnt seem like much we can do about it.

the AAP book talks about bicycling her legs to help break up gas bubbles. i will try that next time she's freaking out and looking like she's trying to poop.

if i have my hands free for awhile ill look through the womanly art of breastfeeding book abut oversupply.
what stinks is your first inclination for oversupply is to just pump some out before feeding her but obviously that is just going to exacerbate the problem.

she may just have to outgrow this issue. sucks seeing her scream and look like she's in pain :-( and all she has to do is get out a good fart.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:56 am 
Semen Strong

Are there any good BFing groups near you? If not I can add you to ours, if you're on FB.

I would say that the "Australia Hold" put baby ontop of your and let her nurse so she is controling the flow and sucking rather than gulping down whatever is spurting out and trying to breath at the same time (which means she is gulping in air too).

When she is in pain, the Football Hold Image takes a lot of pressure off their tummies.

For oversupply, definitely don't use an electric pump, but you can hand-express a bit off (I kept mine, because if you're crunchy breastmilk cures everything hahaha), and you can also look into blockfeeding (feed off the same breast for multiple feedings so she gets down to the fatty hindmilk instead of always drinking the thinner foremilk). I started doing hour blocks and worked up. My LC said "feed until your boob feels "empty" I don't think I felt "empty" for the first 6 months of her life!

Eventually it all regularizes - you make just enough for her and her tummy matures to digest better - but until then, maybe those things will help!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:02 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Bicycling legs helps and you can also look up other massage techniques... Like windmill on her belly, "I love you", etc. anything in a clockwise motion can help that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wow! holy nursing epiphany! thank you guys so much for the info.

i just tried our own variation on that Austrailian hold. i couldnt get her to lie against me so i just had both of us sitting straight up and she latched onto my left boob which is the one we used earlier. she nursed for 6 mins straight without a peep or unlatching!!!
it was an awkward position and next time ill position myself better for back support but she very quietly sucked away.

i had suspected the lying down on the nursing pillow wasnt the best for us but i was thinking more of her breathing issues since she stops alot to cough or breathe or just fuss and would latch and unlatch several times but she would always keep at it.

after she finished i laid her on her back and bicycled her legs and just gently pushed around on her belly a bit. she did a few small burps i think. she hasnt started screaming and writhing around so im calling it a success!!!!!

i will say however my right boob now is engorged to the point of severe discomfort so i may let her nurse a tiny bit off that one just to relieve the pressure.

i have just a cheapy hand pump because i didnt expect to pump much and i dont think i will be pumping much.

the place i went to the mom's group at also does a breastfeeding group. i missed it today and im not sure i can go to the one they have on tuesday because we have a cardiologist appt but maybe i can get there in time after. i know the woman who runs it already told me she can help me with the lying down nursing position as i told her we hadnt figured it out yet.

its so great to have these amazing resources as i can see why some people give up nursing quickly. it can be frustrating as hell!!!

thanks so much again :-) hopefully we continue to have good success!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

definitely do some block feeding. your other boob will feel really heavy and sore, but that will pass soon. i would even start the next nursing session on the same side and then let her go over to the fuller side. if it has been an issue that she's not getting hindmilk, you may be surprised at how much longer she can go without feeding too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:28 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Yeah she let me sleep for 5 hours last night for what I think was the first time ever. Then after I put her down again she let me sleep for another 4!!! It was crazy!!!

The only "problem" with this system is I don't think I can tell when my breast is empty so I just use one for as many nursing sessions as I think it must be at least close to empty.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:25 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

slow response!

annasrobbie wrote:
OWW - we swaddled Giles. Around 6 months he would consistently fight the swaddle and cry when he would break free - so that was when we weaned him off of it. It was about 3 days of sadness as I can recall. All the recommendations I had seen said to stop swaddling them when they can roll over because of risk of smothering - my pedi said do it as long as you want. I didn't feel like smothering was a big possibility because the way we wrapped him, if he rolled over the swaddle would come undone. We tried to slowly transition him out by leaving one arm free at first but that wasn't helpful for him. I spent lots of $ purchasing a swaddle transition product off-line - but before it arrived he was weaned.

Thanks! I talked to our Plunket nurse this week and like your pediatrician, she said there's no harm in carrying on as long as the baby is happy so I'm not looking to try and get her out of it for now. It's the beginning of Winter and I like that her hands are kept nice and warm in the swaddle so if she doesn't decide she wants out before then, I might look at easing out of it when we get to the other side of Winter.

ScandinaVegan wrote:
Here's my weird dumb question. When is it important that your baby start drinking other fluids?

not helpful, but I just started giving Westiebaby some water in a cup this week and she absolutely loves it, it's pretty adorable.

Good work on the long sleep LisaPunk, hope BabyPunk carries on like that!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:25 pm 
Semen Strong

Pink-eye question.

We were at the park, and Leela was playing with a little 6 year old boy, who was super-sweet with her for about 30 minutes. The Dad didn't mention anything while we were talking, but when the little boy went to kiss her good-bye, he intervened and stopped the kiss, saying that his son had pink-eye.

I washed L's hands and face, but are there other things I could do to stop her getting it?

I am also really annoyed that the Dad didn't say anything earlier, when he was watching his kid hug and cuddle my kid, but there isn't anything I can do about that now. I know that people bring their sick kids to public places, and its just a risk you take going out in public.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

That is outrageous! I would be so pissed. I don't think there is anything you can do beyond hand washing, etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 88  Next