| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:41 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish wrote:
I've never heard of coconut oil as sunscreen - I would have thought it was akin to basting your baby in butter.

*drool*

Seriously though, we did the hat & long sleeves/pants for E. He was fine. We've been putting sunblock on M (can't remember the brand, but it was a kid specific brand at first and now we just use normal non-nasty adult stuff) since he was 4 or 5 months old and he is also fine. In his case, he HAD to have sunblock on his face because a) we live in California and b) unlike his brother, he wouldn't keep his hat on ever. (Now he will, sometimes. Only sometimes.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ariann wrote:
You're all making me nervous about my master plan to have my next baby in June to maximize work down time. We had it pretty easy with a September baby in terms of sun issues.

Dumb question:
Malka has been seriously peeing through her nighttime diaper every night for like two weeks. She goes to bed anywhere from 7:30-10 (depending on daytime naps, our perseverance, etc.) and by the time we go to bed (anytime from 12-1:30), she has completely peed through and soaked the bed. Coincidentally she has been sleeping in our bed for three weeks due to a house guest taking over her room. The house guest left a few days ago, but I've been out of town for work and my husband didn't want to try transferring her back before I got home. Her diaper gets changed when we discover the flood and then she stays totally dry the rest of the night.

Suggestions? It was unpleasant to come home last night and have to sleep on a soaked bed.

Are you giving her a lot of fluids in the evening? Is shifting those to earlier in the day and 'cutting her off' after a certain time an option you'd consider?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Our Bum Geniuses work for L overnight. Motherease night time diaps are famous for their ability to soak up night time wees. http://www.mother-ease.com/cloth-diaper ... %20Diapers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:27 am 
***LIES!!!***

Cool, I will check those out.

She is having normal amounts of evening fluids, although she is having a lot of fluids in general (she is a soy milk addict and also it's been crazy hot here). We have been trying to get her to give up the right-before-bed bottle with no luck. And it's not an accumulation of pee that is doing this, it's just one torrential pee that is coming up the front of her diaper. My husband tried to change her earlier in the night thinking it was accumulation, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'll have to find some more info on coconut oil. We are in WI and usually outside early in the morning and late in the afternoon, so it has worked fine for us. If we are out for extended periods or at the beach, I use sunscreen.

As far as night diapering, we use pockets with a micro insert and a folded over bamboo insert, so he basically has three layers of protection.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont know if this would work for a bigger kid but since BabyPunk is on a diruetic nighttime pee explosions is a pretty common thing here.
with her regular fuzzibuns, even folded over she still pees through them.

i found using these plus a thirsties cover keeps everything contained for her at night

http://www.amazon.com/Kissaluvs-Cotton- ... =kissaluvs

to be honest i dont even really like these diapers because the entire thing gets soaked rather than just the pee areas but i guess maybe that's why they leak less because they are more absorbent. we bought like 3 and i use them for night diapers or when we are going out and i know people will be holding her because they also fit better around her scrawny legs so blowouts are less likely (it could be the thirsties cover that helps there though)

the other thing i do is lay her on top of just a plain old prefold so there's one more layer before it soaks down to the sheets and stuff.
again though she's much younger so she cant roll over yet so wherever i put her she pretty much stays. not sure it would be a good system for a bigger kid who can flail around.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh, that's a good point about skinny legs! Malka's weren't chunky to begin with, but are getting skinnier and skinnier.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I think BabyPunk is getting a bit of a flat head in the back. Not too bad but a little bit. I'm not sure what to do about it though since she despises being on her tummy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
I think BabyPunk is getting a bit of a flat head in the back. Not too bad but a little bit. I'm not sure what to do about it though since she despises being on her tummy.

My public health nurse mentioned that breastfeeding was one way to prevent that. I guess because the baby is somewhat tilted to the side? Anyway, we had asked about starting tummy time, and she said not to worry about it. (Little guy was like a week old, so we were just asking because we couldn't remember when to start.) If you don't already, when you play with her, you can do some gentle airplane-type playing, and holding her up to look at things. Can you use a baby wrap/carrier? She could be facing in toward you, and that would keep her off the back of her head as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't do too much tummy time, but hold my kids or have them in carriers so much that their heads don't get too bad. I also have Vax lie on my chest for lots of cuddles while he naps and while I'm reading before bed. Beet had a flat spot from side breastfeeding (for the first few weeks, I was always laying on the same side and nursed him on the floor in a sleeping bag a lot -- I pretty much did that for 4-5 weeks and then noticed the flat spot) that was gone by the time he was two, but it annoyed me for ages and I've tried to avoid doing that since and am an avid head checker. And I don't sleep right on the floor anymore, so the night-nursing smooshy-head thing isn't as big of a deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:30 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the weird thing is i do all those things. she is breastfed and in a carrier alot.
i think it might be from the torticollis. when she is lying down she's probably always in the same exact position because of it.
shes on her back on the couch alot but that is nice and soft.
otherwise she's rarely on her back on a hard surface.
just a few hours at night in the cosleeper and sometimes on the playmat on the floor.
she doesnt even spend the entire night in the cosleeper. at some point in the morning she always ends up sleeping on top of me.

i need to be more proactive about moving her head when i put her down to sleep so its not always on the same spot but i never want to wake her because it's such an issue to get her to fall asleep in the first place

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:37 am 
***LIES!!!***

I think some kids are also just a lot more susceptible to it and the fact that she can't turn her head the other way is obviously not gonna help. We didn't do tummy time because Malka hated it, did a lot of carrying and having her sleep on our tummies and her head was perfect, but she might've been the kind of kid who wasn't going to have a problem no matter what.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Some babies just have flat heads... Not all heads are round. Check your head (or hubby's head), maybe it's just the natural shape. It sounds like you are keeping her off it as much as possible, and soon she'll be sitting and crawling and doing all kinds of things to keep it nice and shapely. And one day, hair will hide her head and you'll forget you ever worried about it!

(My nephew has a head we lovingly refer to as a "bowling ball", which is shaped just like my sister's. my niece has a much flatter head, which is shaped just like my BIL's. My sister was always worried when she was a baby, because her head looked so flat compared to her brother's... But it turns out they are just two different shapes.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so i think the hospital may have screwed up BabyPunk's birth certificate and im not sure if it matters or not.
i dont actually KNOW FOR SURE yet but i think they may have listed my husband and myself as unmarried.

i sent in a form with a check to request a copy of her birth certificate to the town clerk's office and i got a call saying i needed to send in a photocopy of my ID. so figuring i just totally spaced on the directions i photocopied my ID and im sending it in but i just went back and reread the form.

how would you interpret this sentence?

"If parents were not married at the time of birth or if father’s name is not listed on birth certificate, the record may be restricted; therefore only the individuals named on the record may obtain it and a photocopy of your picture ID, such as your driver’s license must be included with this request. If you have any questions please call the office."

that is the ONLY instructions other than send in a check for $10.

i interpret that as only unmarried couple's need to send in ID.
i never changed my last name when we got married but we are married. i filled out the birth certificate form correctly for preregistration at the hospital and when they came around to verify things after her birth they were like "and you ARENT married?" and i said NO WE ARE and they said they would make sure they changed it as it was kind of a big deal.

in the state of MA (not sure if this is a national or state thing) they have some stupid antiquated laws about the records being sealed or whatnot for the birth certificate if the parents werent married and i really dont want to have to get it fixed.

is there any reason it would be a problem if they did indeed fork it up?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I don't understand why it's a problem - the way I interpret that line it sounds like only you, your husband, BabyPunk (and maybe the doc if they are listed?) can get the birth certificate, but why would anyone else want to get their own copy anyway? I've had to show ID to get a copy of my birth certificate, so that doesn't seem like it's necessarily a big deal. (Although, it occurs to me if California has any similar laws maybe that's why I had to show ID? dunno, it was totally not a big deal)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

In Texas you also have to send in a photocopy of your ID with your application (or show it in person like we did) to get a birth certificate too. The notice on your letter seems pretty standard, so I wouldn't worry too much until you hear otherwise!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Cool maybe it's just worded weird. When I first filled it out I thought it was strange that I didn't have to go in to get it so it made sense they wanted my ID until I reread that sentence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Pretty sure we had to go someplace to get Malka's birth certificate, but that may be my fuzzy newborn memory working.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

They've probably just had a lot of people attempt to get a copy of a BC without being one of the parties listed (I mean, imagine if you could just do that!), so they threw in the 'disclaimer'. Hopefully it's not aimed at you personally!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:44 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We were mailed a copy of the birth certificate as soon as it was processed. I didn't have to request it or anything. I was very aware of waiting for it because I needed it to officially add babynut to my insurance. I also have a different last name than my husband but it wasn't a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, I have a different last name, too. And our daughter has a third last name (a combo). Something like half of all children in the US are now born to unmarried people, so I seriously doubt things are all that complicated on the birth certificate front for unmarried people.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:29 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

If the parents are not married, the father has to sign a paternity affidavit which has to be submitted with the birth certificate application. If the parents are married, the husband is legally assumed to be the father. LP, if your husband didnt have to sign a declaration of paternity then the birth certificate would have to say that you're married.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know, LP, but one time we randomly got a letter from the government saying we were in a polyamorous relationship* and ever since then, everything I get from the government (including medical paperwork) says I'm Miss Crabby instead of Mrs and people are always asking what Mr Crabby's last name is. I've tried to get it changed back to Mrs, but not sure if it worked because I don't know who to call.

Do you have to do the birth certificate at the hospital? What if you still haven't decided on a name? We have 6 weeks to fill out one here and I guess a lot of moms were waiting to hear the royal baby name before naming their babies!!

* what the fizzle?! I mean, I'm glad the government is down with polyamorous relationships and all, but it's just Mr Crabby and I as far as I know! ;D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Like Crabby, we also get something like 6 weeks to send in our papers to get a birth certificate. When you give birth in a hospital, they give you a packet with some info pamphlets (ie, local health unit meet ups, immunizations, how your baby is going to cry a ton and don't hit it, etc), and it also contains an order form for your birth certificate where you write down parents' names, marital status, etc. We're able to pick if we want one with or without the parents' names, and we can order more than one copy (we have to pay for them too). They're cool though - made of polymer I think? Like our fancy money.

When we had Iz, we hadn't picked a name, so we waited about 8 days to send it in. We sent Zeph's right away, because we had the name already picked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:40 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I gave birth in a birth center and they basically gave us no information on getting the birth certificate! I remember them verifying the info (vaguely, because I had given birth like an hour ago) but I assumed it just got sent to you automatically. I called the birth center months later wondering where it was and they were like, "Duh, you have to go to the Office of Vital Statistics." That shiitake is confusing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 89  Next