| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:19 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

mine didnt even start falling out til around 3 months pp. i shed alot normally because i have a lot of fine thin hair but it's just over the top now.
its the worst after i shower so i guess it's a good thing i dont get to shower often anymore :-P

between me and the two dogs my house is a giant furball

im constantly picking either my own hair or dog fur off babypunk, it gets in her mouth alot too :-P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks for the opinions about zoos!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Do all kids get super drooly when teething?
BabyPunk has been gnawing the shiitake out of her hands and today was fussy and didn't nurse as much as usual. All that together seems like maybe teething but she's not a drooler.
She'll be 4 months next week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
Do all kids get super drooly when teething?
BabyPunk has been gnawing the shiitake out of her hands and today was fussy and didn't nurse as much as usual. All that together seems like maybe teething but she's not a drooler.
She'll be 4 months next week.

Z only drooled a bit with his first few teeth. He's 13 months now, and he's got one coming in, and he's definitely not drooly.

(And oh my gosh, how is BabyPunk already 4 months?! Awesome!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Beetroot was more of a hand-gnawer and Raygold was a super-drooler/book chewer. Vax seems to be more of a drooler and he's been fussier and not sleeping as well at night. It will be nice when they are both all the way through.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:23 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Giles was a super drooler starting around 4 months - I recall specifically in November (he was born in July) seeing little "tooth" buds below the gum line and seeing him drooling like a maniac and expecting his first tooth any second - they didn't emerge for months! So when the teeth actually came in the super drooling didn't change in amount or frequency. Probably not helpful...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:58 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

When I posted that last night she was sleeping so I couldn't look in her mouth but then she woke up 5 mins later. She was squawking so it was hard to tell but I couldn't feel anything. Ill try to actually get a good look today.
She then wanted to nurse for a half hour straight after barely nursing all day then proceeded to wake me up about once an hour all night. :-/

She keeps doing this weird thing with her tongue where she sticks it out really far and wags it around left to right. She does it over and over. She's being weird. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

LisaPunk wrote:

im constantly picking either my own hair or dog fur off babypunk, it gets in her mouth alot too :-P

Well, if anyone asks you where she gets her protein...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The tongue thing can be related to teething, fwiw. Lots and lots of my childcare babies did this. Freya drooled so much when she was teething the first couple of times, that we had to go and buy new bibs...she was going through our whole stash (about 20!) in one day. Whew. She's getting her last before the two year molars now..I'm hoping it's almost through...she's having a super hard time. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:42 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

So what's everyone's go to method for soothing during teething? I think she got a bit of a raw deal being this young. She's not eating solids so I can't give a cold piece of something. We don't really have any teething toys in our house but the two we do have she doesn't put in her mouth. She tries to cram non teething toys in her mouth like a ball or a teddy bear and they don't fit.
She doesn't quite have the manual dexterity to cram the teething key chain thing in her mouth so I think that's why she tried the bigger objects that don't fit.

My aunt is a dental hygienist and gave us baby toothbrush (ie a gum stimulator) so I took that out and she seems to at least enjoy mouthing it but I have to hold it for her otherwise shell gag herself or stab an eye out.

Right now she mainly chews on her fingers.
She's definitely more cranky too and will only nurse for a couple minutes at a time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:51 pm 

LP I never tried this, but I have heard of people putting a damp wash cloth in the freezer and then giving it to baby to gum. Maybe that would be big enough and easy to handle?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

we gave frozen pacifiers sometimes even though Sierra normally won't take one, and somewhere (maybe here?) I read that big whole carrots and/or celery can be frozen and used. That should help with the problem of not being able to dextrously handle the usual teethers at least.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:09 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

A washcloth wrapped around an ice cube/crushed ice and secured with a rubber band helped Sven at that age.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:41 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just saw this cool product on the Birth Without Fear website called the gummee glove teething mitten - so baby doesn't have to hold it but has something to chew on. Seems like a great idea to me!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Audrey wrote:
I read that big whole carrots and/or celery can be frozen and used.

We did that! Celery has a numbing compound and it worked well for Leela. But in full disclosure, she never had a very hard time with teething, so I don't know if it would relieve very intense teething pain. Still - organic, cheap and probably worth a try, right?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Audrey wrote:
I read that big whole carrots and/or celery can be frozen and used.

We did that! Celery has a numbing compound and it worked well for Leela. But in full disclosure, she never had a very hard time with teething, so I don't know if it would relieve very intense teething pain. Still - organic, cheap and probably worth a try, right?

I was going to say the same thing! Will never was very bothered, but he loved the carrots. We didn't freeze the carrots, just peeled and let him gnaw away! (Once his bottom teeth emerged, he shredded the carrots, which was pretty cute!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks everyone. i am doing the washcloth thing right now. i have to hold it for her to chew on because i dont think she gets it yet but we're working on it.

ill keep the celery in mind for when we start giving her solids

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We gave Will the celery and carrots before he started food, since he didn't really eat it... Just chewed. He got his first teeth at 4.5 months... Just like BabyPunk!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

looks like ill be putting celery on the grocery list!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

One of Malka's regular playmates who is a 1st grader fell off his bike in front of our apartment the other day and got a big gash on his chin that needed stitches. Malka witnessed it (although didn't seem terribly perturbed at the time) and now she keeps saying over and over again that she hurt her chin, that she fell off her bike, that she was bleeding, etc. She still doesn't seem all that upset about it, though. We've talked about it a few times, made sure to talk about how S got hurt and it was definitely scary, but luckily he went to the doctor and is going to be all better soon. And we've gone to check on him a few times since so he could show off his big band-aid and tell her he feels better now (and she could kiss his boo-boo!). But she is really insistent when we are alone that all this happened to HER. Is this normal?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:02 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela will do that sometimes. Maybe its just learning empathy - they are just over identifying with someone else?

I think when they have big feelings they often get overwhelmed - so we've been in a hitting spell again (ugh!), and I keep explaining to L that babies get hurt when she hits them and its not okay. And she will often say she didn't hit the kiddo, but it doesn't feel like she is lying, so much as just overwhelmed by me trying to explain why what happened isn't right....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, maybe. I've never noticed her doing this with anyone else, although she is generally REALLY interested when people have injuries and wants to take care of them and asks about what happened.

I don't know when Malka is "lying" to me at this point, but she has definitely gotten into telling untruths. "Malka, did you poop?" "nope!" so I have to trick her sometimes into sharing useful information - "Malka, are you DONE pooping?" "I done pooping!" Someday she will figure me out. Maybe Leela isn't seeing whatever she's doing as hitting for some reason? Although I'd imagine she'd know the difference between hitting a baby and gently touching them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:28 pm 

Wait til you get to the phase where she starts screaming that "you're hurting me!!!" when you like breathe on her. Loads of fun. (especially when you're the nanny)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:39 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

from the view over here, the "misrememberings" continue at least through age 13.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:46 am 
Nooch of Earl

I'm totally late to the party (end of deployment, change of command, we're in the second week of vacation, etc) so I'm going to revive some topics at the risk of being a jerk:

- re children's clothing. I kind of like Baby Gap (though some of the wintery stuff has wool, one year they had an adorable Scottish-inspired collection I steered totally clear of). Not everything there is great but I keep an eye on the collections because about 1/4 of them are awesome - I love their more mod collections. It also tends to cycle through newly introduced to clearance really fast, so if I like a collection I go back in a couple months and stock up on clearance items. However, they do have some impractical items (like diaper access not considered) and Violet sounds very differently shaped than Freya - we're in 2T now for the length, but she's on the skinny side for it still and lots of her 18mo clothes still fit width-wize.

I also really like REI, though the selection is very very limited. They have these GREAT pants that Vi has in every color (beige, gray, and pink) - they're a quick drying microfiber with lots of pockets and they are nice and long so they seem to fit way longer than other pants. They have little loops and tabs in them to roll them up to capri length and just are so great for travel (light and compact), water-related things where I want them to dry fast, they're kind of adorable, the partial elastic waistband makes them easy to get on and off without bothering with the snaps.. I just love them. (If you look at my latest FB pictures from going hiking those gray pants and purple paisley shirt are both REI items) Plus right now they're on end of season sale 1/3 off. Yay! I bought two more pairs, we have them in 18mo, 2T, and 3T now because I like them so much.

Anyway these two brands are kind of expensive, and we have a lot of Target and misc Carter's stuff too (my mom is awesome at scavenging the kohl's clearance racks and sending us boxes of lots of items), but these are the items V wears over and over and over, making them seem like better deals in the end than something cheaper that she grows out of really fast.

- re zoo. I'll confess, last year we had a membership at the San Diego Zoo & Safari Park (it just lapsed). I understand people have mixed feelings about this and I certainly wouldn't present it as a vegan option. Personally, I like the Safari Park, at least the more "wilderness-y" parts of it. Yes, there are fences but there's a lot of space and it doesn't have that claustrophobic, neurotic animal feeling that a lot of smaller zoos have. There are limited options for places where it's socially acceptable to take a toddler acting like a toddler and unfortunately in San Diego most of them seem to involve captive animals. It's more of a practical concession than a philosophical approval. We also have a membership to Legoland, and I love to go there, but it's much farther (we live a couple miles from the zoo and 35 miles from Legoland or the Safari Park).

We were just at the Monterey aquarium, which I feel sort of ambivalent about - it does have one of the best toddler play areas I've ever seen... Why can't really nice private playgrounds exist more outside of the captive animal places?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 89  Next