| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, San Diego is crazy for captive animals - spent a lot of time at SeaWorld when we were little also, besides the Zoo. When we've gone back since veganism and since my mother moved back there part-time, we have been kind of at a loss for things to do. (So we go to Tijuana and get sad about the death of its shopping district since my childhood and get sad about the fact that the zebra donkeys are still being paraded around anyway even though there are no more tourists.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:48 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks for the clothes suggestions..those pants sound really awesome.

The captive animal craze here is to attached "safari parks" etc. to theme parks. I *love* roller coasters, but I don't want to support places that y'know haul in zebras using questionable methods. Grr.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:03 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ariann wrote:
Yeah, San Diego is crazy for captive animals - spent a lot of time at SeaWorld when we were little also, besides the Zoo. When we've gone back since veganism and since my mother moved back there part-time, we have been kind of at a loss for things to do. (So we go to Tijuana and get sad about the death of its shopping district since my childhood and get sad about the fact that the zebra donkeys are still being paraded around anyway even though there are no more tourists.)

Ah Seaworld. I've actually been there once - a houseguest wanted to go and since military gets in free once a year I justified it to myself by not giving them any actual money from me - and it's on a level of its own. They don't even try to add a veneer of greenwashing or educational value to it like the zoos do. You know how aquarium dolphin shows normally talk a little about how they're trained and such? Not so with Seaworld, it's just take out Orcas, have four (4!!!) of them do the exact same jumps, send them back into their pens.

On the other hand it's a little frustrating because it's so near the base that the people we know with little kids tend to get a membership to use their (apparently very nice) playground and we can't really join in. Nobody ever wants to go all the way to, say, animal-free Legoland.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Are there not good public playgrounds in San Diego?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

The one in our neighborhood (Normal Heights) has a lot of trash - candy wrappers, those plastic things that go around juice box straws, you name it. The nearby ones are a bit better (University Heights, sometimes we go up to the military housing ones which are much cleaner, or on base because yay ocean and ship theme, until V decides she needs to run into the ocean)... but the private ones have things like trains to ride, enclosed spaces...and just in general parks have more space to explore and run around. The really nice thing of course is that when there's plenty for bigger kids to do they don't invade the playgrounds and be jerks, which is why Duplo village is much nicer than the neighborhood playgrounds or even the zoo playground. (Similarly, the Disneyland one is also very nice, but that's much less reasonable to drive to/get a membership for..)

I don't really get the big kids on the playground phenomenon, because when I was in grade school going to a neighborhood playground would've been the last thing I might've considered...but I grew up in a much less urban area and we just hung around outside instead. These days you also see giant grade school age kids in strollers, which would've mortified me, so I just assume kids are...different now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

are the big kids just hanging out being in the way or are they like actually playing on stuff?

i can see them hanging around getting int he way for lack of a better place to go
seems like in a place like San Diego there would be better places for the big kids to go loiter but where i grew up there really wasnt much around though i cant say i hung out at the playground after i was playground age

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:08 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ugh yes about the bigger kids - the big park right up the street from us is also right near a middle school and sometimes the pre-teens go and just SIT on the equipment, block the slide etc. Sometimes though they seem conscious about it and move, but occasionally it feels like they are trying to be defiant by ignoring parents' annoyed looks. I definitely loitered in parks as a pre-teen in NYC but not on the playground!
ohh and this is definitely a summer gripe but WHAT is with parents bringing loads of balloons to the playground so their kids can fill 'em with water - and then leave the spent balloons all over the place without a thought to the mess it makes. I spent a lot of time this summer wrestling Sierra for little colored pieces of rubber. I hate to seem like a total downer but this is littering, people! Who do they think is going to clean it up?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:30 pm 
***LIES!!!***

When we were at a water feature at an NYC park recently, the whole thing was covered with kids 10 and up. I mean, they were actually playing on it/with it, so I don't begrudge them, but I was nervous for Malka's safety down below. They were, luckily, very sweet with her.

I definitely played on playground equipment post elementary school. It's not like middle school kids don't need creative movement and I remember having hours and hours of unstructured, unsupervised time to manage at that age. What are you supposed to play on? As long as they're being conscientious about little kids, it doesn't bother me. I'd rather they be there than destroying things (or my other middle school activity, smoking behind the school).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:04 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

It seems like a common thing (?) for babies to hate having their noses wiped and to scream worse for that than for anything else. I don't know why it's so terrible.

I keep it to 1-2 swipes at a time, hoping they won't get as worked up. I haven't determined whether not letting them see the tissue coming gives them less chance to freak out or just convinces them I can't be trusted.

Know any tricks to make nose-wiping less traumatic?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:48 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Mine hates it with a cloth but likes it with toilet paper. She is just really into toilet paper right now, though. I tell her "time to wipe your nose!" and show her the toilet paper. Usually she stays still for it and then pats her nose with the tissue several times. She's also big on throwing the tissue away after. I guess at this age (almost 14 months) being in control is important.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:22 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Great ideas! Using different materials, acting like it's fun (good tactic for everything), and offering control are definitely worth trying. I feel silly not to have thought of these. THANKS!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

ScandinaVegan wrote:
Mine hates it with a cloth but likes it with toilet paper. She is just really into toilet paper right now, though. I tell her "time to wipe your nose!" and show her the toilet paper. Usually she stays still for it and then pats her nose with the tissue several times. She's also big on throwing the tissue away after. I guess at this age (almost 14 months) being in control is important.

I'm going to try this and see if it works for me. Toilet paper is pretty exciting in our house too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Will is almost 2, but he will do "drive by blowing" on the toilet paper if it's hanging off the roll. He's just recently started to do really well with coming up to us when he needs a Kleenex, and I contribute that to the previous suggestions-- letting him do it on his own or letting him wipe our noses first.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:36 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

San Diego - Legoland, Fleet Science Center, San Diego Museum of Natural History.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Toilet paper was how we transitioned into being interested in nose wiping too! Henry used to hate it with a fiery passion, now he's obsessed with boogers and will gladly blow his nose on command, but he probably didn't start that until 22 months or so.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:14 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Okay, here's a maybe-dumb question. Some friends of mine had a baby a couple days ago. I made a blanket for the baby and I'd like to give it to them. I don't want to overwhelm them when they've probably got a million family members and people who are closer friends than I am buzzing all over the place. How long should I wait before I ask them when it's okay for me to come over?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:26 am 
Saggy Butt

I would ask now (an email or text would probably be easiest, but maybe don't expect a response for a while)! You never know -- maybe the want visitors, or maybe they want to hunker down for a while and get used to their new family. You could always drop it off at the door with a nice note too. With my first I didn't want anyone around, but with the second I wanted people immediately.

If you go over, keep this in mind! http://avital.blogspot.com/2011/03/how- ... or-in.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Opinions on tea tree oil?

I haven't done a ton of research, but from what I've read I can find 100 reasons to use it and about 1 not to (breast tissue in baby boys, but the same argument could be used against soy and we still eat soy). I'm planning to add a drop or two to Will's wipe solution and tonight I added a few drops to his bath. From other threads, you might know he always seems to have some bum rash coming or going, so it sounds like this could be (potentially) helpful for him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I wouldn't use tea tree oil on a regular basis unless I had a good reason to do so (due to possible endocrine disruption). In the case of trying to prevent diaper rash, I'd be very willing to try it because I've seen articles questioning the long term effects of regularly using zinc oxide (which we have to use everytime diaper rash appears, it seems).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:50 pm 
***LIES!!!***

What's the problem with zinc oxide? I've never heard of tea tree oil being an endocrine disruptor, but found these when looking:

http://roberttisserand.com/articles/Tea ... mastia.pdf
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm

Although I'm inclined to trust the NIH, the other link makes a good case to be skeptical.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:18 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It seems like everything I've found is similar.. Inconclusive data. Anyway, maybe helbury has a good point about regular use and I won't add it to our wipes. An occasional spray or soak though probably does more good than bad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hmm. Now I can't find anything on the problems of zinc oxide by a bunch of googling. FWIW, I use a lot of Boudreaux natural and max strength on my kiddos since we are constantly fighting the diaper rash battle. Selfishly, I'd love to use tea tree oil instead since putting Boudreaux on 3 kids means my fingers are so dry they are cracking.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:12 pm 
Chip Strong

We have also given in and use the butt paste at bedtime every day, and I hate how impossible it is to get off my hands. Of course, the moisture barrier is the whole point. But it's gross.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Does anyone know if EmergenC or Airborne is okay to take during pregnancy? The package says "consult doctor if pregnant or nursing," but that might just be standard. I have a dry throat and stuffy nose and we are flying tomorrow, so I'd like to try to prevent anything from worsening!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

kdub wrote:
Does anyone know if EmergenC or Airborne is okay to take during pregnancy? The package says "consult doctor if pregnant or nursing," but that might just be standard. I have a dry throat and stuffy nose and we are flying tomorrow, so I'd like to try to prevent anything from worsening!

I decided to call my midwife and ask. In case anyone else is curious, she said she wouldn't recommend taking it everyday, but a few days are fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 88  Next