| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:42 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

do babies get like super constantly tired when they are teething and having a growth spurt at the same time?
BabyPunk has been uncharacteristically tired the past couple days. she has actually NAPPED and not only that i was able to move her off me and onto our bed. AND she napped for MORE THAN AN HOUR.

it's all wacky here.
she's still teething and she's definitely going through a growth spurt so ive been chocking it up to that but......i dont want to miss something obvious like iron defiency or something.
shes still exclusively breastfeeding.....unless you count the like quarter tsp of carrots i managed to cram into her yesterday......

she doesnt seem sick or lethargic when she's awake or off in any other way she just gets tired quicker and actually naps.
is this like what some babies do? they nap regularly?

weird.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yes. Teething can really exhaust a kid.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Apparently the key to managing morning sickness for me is mashed potatoes and chocolate. Yum yum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:18 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tofulish wrote:
Apparently the key to managing morning sickness for me is mashed potatoes and chocolate. Yum yum.

Together or separately?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:

Oh god! Just imagining those foods is doing the opposite for me! BARF!

(Glad to hear you're feeling a little better, though.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:25 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I've been thinking of you a lot these days - hoping that everything is going well for you too!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mittenmacher wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Umm... Did I miss something?!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:59 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think i missed something too?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:15 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

For those of you who went back to work (or similar), how did you decide in advance how much time to take off? It seems impossible to know this far in advance (I'm 15 weeks), but everyone at work is asking me already.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Edit: Ooops, read your question wrong. I won't be any help with this one, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

mollyjade wrote:
For those of you who went back to work (or similar), how did you decide in advance how much time to take off? It seems impossible to know this far in advance (I'm 15 weeks), but everyone at work is asking me already.

It wasn't a choice, so that made it easier, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I wanted to take off the maximum time allowable that my workplace and budget would allow - which was 12 weeks. So that was what I took. I ended up leaving work about 3 days before my due date because I was just feeling huge and tired of working. I will try my best to work up until my delivery this time though since last time I sat at home for 2 weeks waiting on baby to come.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:01 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I recommend that my patients have their leave scheduled to start at 42 weeks just in case they're still pregnant (and wanting to work) at that point, since they can always decide to leave sooner but some employers will make you start your leave from the date your care provider writes down. I personally was in grad school at the time so I didn't have the experience of scheduling maternity leave with an employer, but I was determined to not delay my graduation so I had to just deal with what ended up working out. I went back to school full time when Scarlett was 9 weeks old and that worked great for me after an uncomplicated birth and recovery. I was getting bored and some adult time was pretty great for me at that point.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kdub wrote:
mittenmacher wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Umm... Did I miss something?!

Yeah, I feel like I've missed something as well! T'lish - you have some s'plaining to do!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:55 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

mooo wrote:
I recommend that my patients have their leave scheduled to start at 42 weeks just in case they're still pregnant (and wanting to work) at that point, since they can always decide to leave sooner but some employers will make you start your leave from the date your care provider writes down.

This is a good point. I need to figure out how all the paperwork stuff works. I'll have about five weeks of vacation and sick leave built up, assuming I make it to full term, and then after that I'll have to take FMLA. My department is really small (4 people), and my boss is retiring about a month after my due date, so it will be a rough time for my department to be down another person.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:15 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

annasrobbie wrote:
I wanted to take off the maximum time allowable that my workplace and budget would allow - which was 12 weeks. So that was what I took. I ended up leaving work about 3 days before my due date because I was just feeling huge and tired of working. I will try my best to work up until my delivery this time though since last time I sat at home for 2 weeks waiting on baby to come.

This is me exactly, except I worked right up to the day of birth. I knew I only had 12 weeks (before I lost benefits) so I wanted every day possible with the baby. I started training my sub at work the week before my due date. I wrapped up my major projects and organized my stuff so that others would be able to make sense of it well before my due date. Everyone at work was annoyed/curious about me STILL being there, but you have to put yourself and your first in that kind of situation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I planned on working right up to the day of birth and did. I couldn't imagine what I would've been doing if not working and I actually felt awesome and was super productive at work that last week - I saved all my nesting for work I guess. I had 6 weeks of leave and there was no way I was wasting any of it on sitting around being pregnant.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

One of my best and oldest friends is giving birth to her second child in less than a month.. And she invited me! It's going to be a home birth, and I'm really excited and a little scared. I definitely don't have any intentions other than showing up and hanging out at her house, maybe walking the dogs and cleaning for a bit and making some ginger cloths, but WOW. She actually wants me to be there when her baby is born!

So, my question to you lovely people who have given birth and therefore knows what's up (at least more than me!) is what should I bring? Snacks, tea, food, books..? A newly washed baby blanket? Gifts?

I am definitely going to bring some champagne and fizzy mineral water, because I know that the reason that she invited me is, that she wants it to be a celebratory event for him to be born, and champagne seems appropriate. I will probably make some foods that can be frozen and then just cooked in the oven, because that is awesome to have no matter what. Should I get a gift for big sister (she is turning 6 this april)?

Help me be the best friend and aunt I can be!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:10 pm 
Semen Strong

I would ask her, just because everyone births differently. You could ask how her last labor was and that might give you some guidelines for what to expect.

If I were to have a home birth, I would love it if a friend were around to play with Leela and maybe take her to the park during the intense stuff or even just be on standby in case we needed a transfer to the hospital. I wouldn't want anything for myself in labor, because my labor was really hard and fast, and I could barely hear anything that was going on around me or talk to anyone without a huge effort. And then of course it would be great to celebrate the birth together once the baby was delivered and we'd had a chance to establish nursing. I was on a total adrenaline high afterwards, so I would have loved to celebrate a bit!

But again, that isn't everyone's experience - she may have long labors and want to hang out and chat during contractions.

What are ginger cloths? They sound interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Her first birth was amazingly quick and relatively low pain - she didn't take any medication besides from two paracetamol 5 minutes before she gave birth. So she's definitely hoping that this one will be short and easy as well (well as easy as they can be!).

Ginger cloths are cloths boiled in water with ginger and are supposed to help numb the pain, kind of like heating pads! She told me she definitely wants me to make those. Her older kid is going to be next door with her brother, unless she gives birth within the next two weeks - if she does, I'll be babysitting the older child! Then I'm probably just going to take her to the movies and hang out and distract her a little. My friend was both worried that it would be a traumatic experience for a 5 year old to attend the birth (especially if something happens and she has to go to the hospital), and wouldn't feel comfortable having to be her mom in the middle of giving birth, because she's not sure she would be able to do that and she wants her boyfriend to be there to support her, not the kid :) So it's pretty awesome that her brother lives next door and can take care of the older kid - hopefully it will happen during the night, so she can just sleep through the night and wake up and be a big sister! That would be pretty amazing.

I will definitely talk to her about it again - we had a talk about expectations and it seems pretty low key - we've known each other for 10 years and I know that she knows that she can ask me to do anything and then I'll do it.

It feels really wonderful to have a friend that wants me to be a part of this experience. What a declaration of love!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:14 pm 
Semen Strong

That is awesome, and it sounds wonderful and low key! It sounds like you're already pretty much exactly on the same page. Is she having a midwife and doula as well?

A friend of mine was invited to another friend's first home birth, and it was a really long and grueling labor, and my friend describes her friend as dragging herself to the bathroom after it was done looking like something out of The Ring, and looking at her and saying "I am sure yours will be much easier!" My friend said they didn't want to be rude and leave, but there was no way she'd ever want a kid after watching that. Her friend had invited her over in part to show her that it wasn't that bad, and it kind of backfired.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think champagne and frozen food sounds awesome! I loved having friends at my home birth and we had champagne and chocolate cake afterward, because it was my partner's birthday and I had already made his birthday cake when I went into labor. Now if we ever have another kid I am definitely going to make a cake again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Smoothie, that is so awesome. Definitely agree about champagne and frozen food, and maybe you could bring some comforting and celebratory food for post birth as well? (And snacks during birth if she wants, although sounds like she won't likely have that much time.). I'd ask what she wanted to eat after her last birth maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
That is awesome, and it sounds wonderful and low key! It sounds like you're already pretty much exactly on the same page. Is she having a midwife and doula as well?

A friend of mine was invited to another friend's first home birth, and it was a really long and grueling labor, and my friend describes her friend as dragging herself to the bathroom after it was done looking like something out of The Ring, and looking at her and saying "I am sure yours will be much easier!" My friend said they didn't want to be rude and leave, but there was no way she'd ever want a kid after watching that. Her friend had invited her over in part to show her that it wasn't that bad, and it kind of backfired.

She has a midwife, but that's it. She is actually going to study to become a midwife when her post partum leave ends in august, so she's pretty geeky about births, which is awesome. I think I am going to bake some muffins that I can bring as well as some food, because either way they're awesome to have on hand when you have a 5 year old! I think I'm just going to make a bunch of vegan lasagna with some TVP and spinach to freeze, and then some sort of chocolate and almond muffins. And mini pizzas! Maybe I should just bike out there a few times during the month to fill up the freezer with lovely home cooked meals.

I'm so excited about this!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

And champagne it is!

NOW, what should I get the baby as a "welcome to life"-gift? A teddy bear? I really want to get him a teddy bear I think!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 89  Next