| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:17 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My only specification about food during labor is that it couldn't be something terrible to throw up. A lot of women throw up in labor no matter how difficult or easy they have it. I think everyone has different cravings for food after the birth so I would ask her what she wanted last time and go from there, besides the cake of course!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks for sharing about the ginger cloths. Freya's birthday mate's mum is expecting another in April and this would be a great labor-gift for her. I'm working on a care package sorta basket. She had a c-section before and is now sorta being "forced" into a hospital birth, and she's a bit bummed about it. Trying to find lots of things to help make it nice and homey for her.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:37 am 

Any thoughts on a bright cherry-red "rash" (no spots) that's on the labia/other bits of the vulva only? Nothing in the folds of the skin really, nothing in the back. F's been really lucky with nappy rash. We've only had troubles when there's been a pretty likely suspect before (too long in a nappy, diarrhea/sick, and too much citrus). It could be yeast I suppose, but only being on the more exposed/external girly bits makes me doubtful. It looked yesterday (second day) sorta like a blister almost on the top. Today, more raw looking. She says it doesn't hurt and I don't see any flinching, but jeezus if I looked like that...ow! Trying some more nappy free time after her nap. Have been using the barrier cream still, but will try without I think later to get some fresh air. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:20 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sounds potentially yeasty to me. Our pediatrician suggested that when the rash isn't getting better with zinc oxide cream, is bright red, and mostly on the labia, it's usually yeast. Have you tried zinc oxide cream?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:30 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I thought yeast usually presented as tiny pin pricks? I was just reading neem and sesame oils can help yeast too. (I have no idea what neem oil is though)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:37 am 

I think the rash often starts off as just pin pricks, but once it gets worse, the rash can turn into a beefy-red solid patch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:18 pm 

Ah. The lack of spottiness threw me too. We saw it fairly often in our babies at nursery, but I don't recall this blisteriness. I wonder if it has been hanging around the past few days and just reasserted itself or something? I will look for some zinc oxide cream tonight. Not keen to start the antifungal type stuff if I don't need to.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My friend just went to the last scan yesterday and there will be no home birth, as the baby is only 1700 grams (and should be around 3000 grams around this time, she's at 37 weeks) so he's really really small and they're going to have her come in twice a week to check up on it, and he may have to start his life in an incubator. I am really worried and so sad about it - My friend seems to be holding up okay but she must be terrified. I mean, if he's in an incubator I guess that they will give her a room at the hospital (at least at first), but then her boyfriend and her 5 year old daughter will have to be home and come visit, which is definitely not what was planned - it was going to be a chilled out home birth and a lot of family bonding. I feel so sad for her - I know that she is going to be okay and I know that she thinks that the most important thing is that her baby gets to be healthy, but this is terrifying. I can't stop wondering if the low weight is symptomatic for another problem. They did do a biopsy and tested the chromosomes when she was just around 3 months pregnant, and there wasn't any problems, so I'm just hoping for the best. And then I think that if this is how I feel, then i can't even imagine what she must be feeling. It is absolutely horrible.
She mentioned yesterday that she doesn't have any premature sized clothes, so I think I will go out and try to find some for her today. It just feels so helpless to not know what's up or what will happen or if he is okay!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:59 am 
Semen Strong

Oh Smoothie, I am so sorry. That sounds so stressful! I know that ultrasound measurements are not very exact and often are quite far off the mark. L was supposed to be 10lbs plus but was only 7lbs 10 oz at birth. So I would wonder how accurate the readings are. Is there any chance she could still get a home birth?

Sending your friend so many good things and I hope they confirm that her baby is doing well soon and that she can have the home birth she wants.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The home birth is definitely off. I just talked to her and she said that she wouldn't feel comfortable giving birth at home if there is any way that there could be issues. She's just hoping that it's possible to give birth without the really strong drugs (what's that thing called where they basically numb your entire lower body?) - but nothing's sure yet. I talked to my friend who has been at a prenatal clinic for her medical training (she's a bachelor in medicine) and she said that sometimes they're WAY off and the babies estimated to be at a really low weight are just small, not too small.
We're just keeping our fingers crossed that she'll avoid a c-section (there is a chance because if there is any problems with him not being able to handle the stress of vaginal birth, that is what they're gonna do, so we hope he's healthy enough for a somewhat regular birth without her feeling completely out of control) and most of all that he's healthy enough to not have to be in an incubator (or if he need it, then that it won't be too long!).

She's really worried and said that it's a strange feeling not knowing whether she just wants him out so that he can be checked up on and treated if necessary or if she just wants him to stay in there and grow. It must be horrible having him so close but not being able to check up on him. Mostly I think she's just worried that he's really sick or has heart problems or that he won't be strong enough to survive. The nurses didn't seem to worry about that though, so hopefully it's just worry because the situation is out of our hands.

I went out and got some premature baby clothes. It's so small! I can't wait to hear what the doctors say after the tests tomorrow. I hope that it was all just a big mistake and that he's just a small baby.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, that is so stressful! You are a fantastic friend to her. Good on you for supporting her through the change of plans and helping out! Thinking of you all!

(ETA: What they use to numb your lower half is an epidural. Lots of people go without, so she's definitely got a chance! I didn't for either of mine. Either way though, she'll get a sweet little baby at the end!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:08 pm 

My boy twin was estimated to be only a bit over 5 lbs (2300 g) around 37 weeks, but he ended up being 7 lbs 14 oz (almost 3600 g) at 38 weeks. So, yep, your friend at the prenatal clinic raises a good point-- those ultrasound measurements are just not accurate frequently.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Those measurements are basically horse shiitake. We didn't do an u/s super close to the date, but the one at ~28w put V ~50% bigger than average and she was born on the small-average size (6 lb 14 oz).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, if she hasn't been measuring small all along I would go find another place to get another ultrasound to compare against. I wouldn't rely on one reading close to the due date because these tend to be such bad measurements. Everything I read while pregnant discouraged ultrasounds near term unless there was a specific problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:21 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm sorry you're all in such a stressful situation, smoothie! Is your friend in DK too? I had a hospital birth in Aarhus and while there were some complications (why I opted for hospital anyway), all the midwives were great, no one tried to push drugs, there was a big tub-- overall a very friendly, happy experience. Hopefully your friend will have a good experience too.

I was also sent for multiple extra ultrasounds because of measuring small, but tiny wu was just fine, just over 3kg at birth. It seems like it's really hard to be sure about that sort of thing. Sending good, healthy, no-incubator thoughts your way!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:05 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Not helpful, but everything I'd ever heard/read had said that ultrasound weight measurements were notoriously inaccurate. As far as I know they don't usually give weight estimations here, but when we were sent for a check-up ultrasound at 41 weeks, I was told baby weighed 8lb14oz and I thought, oh well, those things are always wrong, s/he won't be anywhere near that big! ... five days later she was born weighing 9lb1oz, so it was probably spot on! I guess there's always an exception...

Really hoping your friend has a stress-free, peaceful hospital birth, smoothie! You're such a great friend!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:18 pm 

Smoothie, I hope your friend is making some peace with all of this and working toward having the best birth she can under the circumstances. When does she go back to the doctor for another checkup?

Also, another nod for the inaccuracy of prenatal weight assessments. We happened to get to see the head of obstetrics at the hospital for our last ultrasound (just dumb luck) and he did predict F's weight pretty well (1 oz off), but her birthdate mates both came in smaller than predicted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

She went for a checkup friday and he is definitely really small and they want her to come back 3 times a week to get checkups. They told her to expect to be at the hospital for quite a while after he is born. His heart is fine, though! Which is really really great news. She is (luckily!) in Denmark, so I'm sure she will be treated well - I know that they will only insist on the epidural if there is a big chance of her needing an emergency c-section, which I think is mostly the case if there are heart troubles.

She is doing okay and seems to be making as much peace with it all as possible. It's still scary as shiitake, though!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

anyone have any good tips for making a sick kid feel better?

BP got my cold and is also teething and is super cranky. last night i got her to sleep for 4 hours then she woke up at 2:30 am and for the rest of the night/morning she would be fine for 5 mins nursing then start screaming, i would settle her down on top of me hten 5 mins later she would start screaming again. and over and over and over and over.

i got up at one point and dunked her in the tub because her fever got gone up rather than down despite finally getting some tylenol in her before her 4 hours of sleep.
the tub dunk and a cold cloth on her head and back of her neck brought her fever down but she still did her screaming every 5 mins thing for the rest of hte morning.

i dont like giving her tylenol alot because she gags on it and earlier in the night when we first tried to give it to her she projectile spewed the entire contents of her stomach everywhere.

she still feels warm to me today but her temp is just reading at 99 or 98

shes so cranky. i feel so bad :-(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We do ibuprofen which seems to work better than Tylenol and have fewer safety concerns. And always buy the dye free just in case of projectile vomiting and we found Malka has a preference for grape flavor over berry. We had a bunch of terrible cherry colored puke situations with cherry Tylenol!

Haven't really found anything else that knocked out discomfort. Wearing them skin to skin sometimes keeps them calmer when cranky, but can be tough when there's also a fever.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:42 pm 
Semen Strong

smoothie wrote:
She went for a checkup friday and he is definitely really small and they want her to come back 3 times a week to get checkups. They told her to expect to be at the hospital for quite a while after he is born. His heart is fine, though! Which is really really great news. She is (luckily!) in Denmark, so I'm sure she will be treated well - I know that they will only insist on the epidural if there is a big chance of her needing an emergency c-section, which I think is mostly the case if there are heart troubles.

She is doing okay and seems to be making as much peace with it all as possible. It's still scary as shiitake, though!

Hi Smoothie! How is your friend doing?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The doctors started the birth about a week ago, and she gave birth to a healthy (and tiny!) baby boy. They were in the hospital for two days (normally, you're only in the hospital for about 4-6 hours after birth with your second child here) , but everything was fine, so they got to leave. I went to visit a few days after the birth and he's amazingly cute and she's really happy and relieved!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh, I am so glad to hear it all went well and that they are home already! Hurrah for healthy mamas and healthy babies, no matter how small :)

Its pretty cool that you get discharged so early after giving birth to your second child in Dk!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:16 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Glad to hear about your friend's birth smoothie! So nice of you to get her premie clothes for him. We needed them for our twins for a lil while, they can be a pain to find. You're an awesome & thoughtful friend!

Oh, and all of your posts make me wish I lived in Denmark. I'm happy that there are so many supports in place for all you wonderful folks over there!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:32 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Dumb question time: anyone have stories about how verbal your babies are/were at 14 months? I thought Westiebaby was doing ok, she has about 10 signs and attempts a handful of words [dog, ball, lion, moo, bath] but isn't exactly 'talking' but she was only 14 months old on Sunday. But my husband was talking to his Mum on the weekend and she said Westiebaby is a late talker... nothing I should worry about, right??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 88  Next