| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:35 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

What kind if thyroid medication are you taking? If it's hormones you should keep taking them and just have your levels monitored to adjust them. It would be important to keep taking them. But it's really not a big thing! I for example had to take a higher dose while pregnant and then got back to my usual amount after birth.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yep, if it's just synthetic thyroid hormone you're taking, your potential baby would fare much better if you don't stop taking your thyroid medication. My endocrinologist even upped my dose while I was TTC, not even pregnant yet, since almost all women need more thyroid hormone when pregnant.

I didn't take antidepressants while pregnant, but I did take them postpartum with my first baby for PPD. If you do go off your antidepressant when TTC, it's really important to tell your doctor that you have a predisposition to depression. I think most women experience at least a brief period of "baby blues" postpartum, and it's really easy for many to slide into depression. Rapidly changing hormones + needy baby can be a tough combination.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Many antidepressants are really low risk to pregnancy, so definitely talk to your prescribing doc before going off them and if you're on a high risk one, see if you can switch to a lower risk one. Your mental health is really important, especially during pregnancy!

Like everyone else said, synthroid (or the generic equivalent) is no big whoop to take during pregnancy and being hypothyroid in itself is a risk factor for birth defects, so you definitely want to stay monitored and stay on that, if that's what you're taking. I went on synthroid only during pregnancy because of normal-high TSH. They try to keep pregnant women in tighter thyroid control because of the birth defect risk.

A lot of women on a lot of prescription drugs have perfectly healthy pregnancies. If you have a heart condition you will probably want to see a high risk OB to get it all sorted out, but I wouldn't assume that it can't be worked out to balance the risk to the fetus and benefit to you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

PT, I don't have any insight re: heart or thyroid meds, but I went off ADHD meds as soon as I found out I was pregnant with my first. It was a big shift to make from a personal/emotional place. In some ways I'm sorry I didn't wean off of it first-- it would have given me more time to work on my coping mechanisms etc more. On the other hand, if I had any sort of withdrawal from the medication, I didn't notice it at all since I felt like such utter shiitake due to pregnancy anyway.

Now two years post-second pregnancy, I'm starting to think about whether or not I want to go back on meds. I think they would be really helpful for me in some ways but the idea of going through the process again, to get to the point where I have a doctor who will prescribe meds for me and not try to fix my problems with behavioral therapy etc, is just kinda too overwhelming.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thank you guys for the responses! I did some googling and I learned that the thyroid med is something I shouldn't stop taking. I do take synthroid - a generic version of it. Coldandsleepy, my partner and I talked about how good of a place I'm in right now and whether we should start messing with medications at the moment since everything seems to be going well. I'm not going to do anything quickly or without the help of my doctors. During the deep throes of depression I thought "I will never be well enough to have a child," but it's nice to be able to think about it in a positive way.

The doctors here in the Netherlands, from what I've seen from colleagues that have had babies recently, are really focused on the health of the mother. I know that the heart pill is going to be an issue, so I'm going to talk to my doctor and see if I can get a referral to a doctor here just to see what my options are.

I'm turning 30 later this year and I feel so cliche, but all of these feelings are flooding right in. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:51 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Doctors won't let you go off your thyroid meds. Baby will do better if you're taking them. Assuming it's something like synthroid, you'll actually have to take a bit extra the first few months of pregnancy to supply some for baby. (I was taking one extra pill a week, so not a huge increase.) Eventually baby starts making his own thyroid hormones, and you'll decrease your dose.

I take an SSRI for anxiety, and my OB told me that she recommends I keep taking it. The risks for the baby of taking the medicine are much lower than the risks of having a super anxious (or depressed) mother. I don't know anything about ADHD meds, but you can look up to see which pregnancy category they fall under to start with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:55 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yes yes mental health is important! im glad you are taking that into consideration! pregnancy and post partum is a great big ball of crazy!

there are many antidepressants that are considered low risk and the effects on the fetus have been studied. i have been taking cymbalta for years and my own dr's opinion was that the benefits of the mother staying on the antidepressant and having good mental health outway any potential negatives which there are always potential side effects. she really encouraged me to try therapy which i never did but she said therapy without the antidepressants has been shown to be effective as just taking the antidepressants alone (im sure this depends on the person).

cymbalta is a med that hasnt had a lot of research on relating to effects on pregnancy since it's sort of newer but i know i react VERY badly to coming on and off meds so i decided not to switch. i just weaned myself from 60 mg to 30 mg which is what i still take now.

babypunk was born with a congenital heart defect which maybe related to the antidepressants but since congenital heart defects are the #1 birth defects in babies and they dont know what causes them there is no way to know. and in fact with all the drs we went to see no one once asked me about what i took during pregnancy.

i would just talk with your dr about whether what you are taking is considered low risk and what you would like to do.

if you do decide to wean off the meds i also would recommend doing it before you are pregnant because you will be more mentally stable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm on a generic version of lexapro. Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

any recommendations for a cruelty free sunblock you can put on a 1ish year old.

i am more interested in it being cheap than 100% vegan as long as it's cruelty free (so i would buy Burt's Bees for example)

we're going to Cape Cod for a week this summer.

i know i asked about sunblock before but i think it was when she was like 3 months old.

i dont know if she inherited my skin but i am super fair and cant go into the sun cause i burn instantly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We use coconut oil if it's early in the day/late in the day/we're not doing to be out long. Otherwise, I've used BabyGanics sunscreen. I think it has beeswax, but it had a pretty good rating on Skin Deep and I didn't want to spend a fortune on the California Baby stuff.
http://m.target.com/p/6floz-50spf-baby- ... A-13983788

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We like the Kiss My Face and Alba sunscreens. We only use stuff that's "broad spectrum" and contains zinc oxide or the chemical equivalents. Straight zinc oxide will also do, it'll just be all white, but she's a baby, so probably doesn't care.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Alba stuff is (relatively) affordable around here and cruelty free. It's my sunblock of choice for myself as well. (We probably go through like 14 tubes a year.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:05 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i use the alba face stuff on myself so ive probably seen the sublock and never registered it in my brain. though sunblock tends to be seasonal around here. ill look next time im at target.
they also sell the kiss my face line there adn i think ive seen babyganics at babies r us.

i cant quite wrap my head around the coconut oil as sunblock even though ive read in several places that people use it as sunblock. my skin is so fair and sensitive that i feel like i would be like basting myself for a roasting.

i hope she didnt get my super sensitive skin. i dont think i really had any positive attributes to dump into the gene pool.
i keep hoping she didnt get my skin.....my alleriges....my insanely small airway.....my shitty immune system. ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:27 am 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, coconut oil is like SPF 8 or something, not so useful for us paleskins. r

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

On sort of on the same topic...and a VERY stupid question I feel I should know...my husband is half native american and has this lovely year round tan and turns brown as a berry with any sun exposure. I was hoping my baby would inherit that since I am fish-belly white and burn when I think about stepping out in the sun. My son right now at 20 months is VERY pale...is it possible he will develop a little more pigment with some age - or are you born the color you stay? I would THINK the answer is how you are born is how you stay - but you know eye color and hair color change...so why not skin? We accidently got him some excess sun exposure recently - my husband tanned, I burned, and the baby seemed unchanged...I realize nobody needs to be running around for hours without sunblock these days, but I do so want my kiddos not to have to deal with the same burning issues I have.

ETA: Wikipedia tells me melanin production does not peak until adolesence. Very interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:34 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im not sure what the answer is but i know i got my dad's super sensitive delicate cant go in the sun skin and though my mom and bro arent dark skinned by any means they can get like an actual good tan.
so i guess different kids can have either side.

i personally would think if he had your husband's skin tone he would look like it now but i honestly have no clue that is just a guess.
maybe he is a mix of both of you and he has your skin tone but his skin can stand the sun better like your husband?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:54 pm 
Married to the wolfman

LP, when E's pediatrician met us for the first time and was going through my health history & family health history list, he pretty much said "soooooooo you're passing some awesome asparagus genes along eh." Solipsistnation's family is pretty healthy overall so I just have to hope they mostly got stuff from his side.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

hah! i would have been like "uh thanks doc!"

she seems to have gotten my husband's good immune system rather than my crappy one

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LisaPunk wrote:
any recommendations for a cruelty free sunblock you can put on a 1ish year old.

i am more interested in it being cheap than 100% vegan as long as it's cruelty free (so i would buy Burt's Bees for example)

we're going to Cape Cod for a week this summer.

i know i asked about sunblock before but i think it was when she was like 3 months old.

i dont know if she inherited my skin but i am super fair and cant go into the sun cause i burn instantly.

We use this one: http://www.badgerbalm.com/p-468-spf-30- ... cream.aspx

It's the best one we ever had, you need only a tiny amount so it lasts a really long time. It's also the most natural one we could find and no animal testing etc. I use it for myself as well, I think I paid around $13 for each, I bought 2 tubes at the time and 2 years later I still have some left over, I can't remember if I bought it on a special deal or if that's the normal price for it. It's also waterproof.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Oh and we also used the Burts Bees one, one for baby's I think it was too, but I never liked the smell, otherwise it was good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:09 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So I'm trying to pick a pediatrician - my grown up doctor's office has no pediatricians currently but might be adding some next year - and I have no idea what is supposed to happen during a "prenatal interview." I've never interviewed a doctor and I've never had a baby before! Some friends recommended an office nearby and they prefer you do one of these interviews before you give birth.

Here is what I picture: "Hello, doctor! So, you treat babies? Fantastic!"

Did/will any of you do prenatal interviews? What did/will you ask?

Or do they interview you and I totally missed that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:56 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I interviewed a few pediatricians and I just asked questions that would give me information on whether the pediatrician would be open to our current lifestyle and our expected parental style so we didn't have to enter the relationship justifying our choices and possibly feeling defensive or feeling any pressure to conform to their idea of parenting.

For me the important things were whether they were somewhat knowledgeable about vegan diets and would support us raising our children vegan, whether they were conservative with antibiotics and pharmaceuticals, if they had training in/supported parents in using natural remedies where appropriate, if they supported extended breastfeeding and co-sleeping, if they were familiar with Celiac disease and the symptoms since we have quite a few Celiacs in my family, and what parenting books and local resources they would recommend (I had already read a ton of books but this was to get a sense of whether our philosophies would mesh). If you have an opinion on vaccination that's a great question for the interviews (even if you definitely want to vaccinate you might want to skip one or two or delay a few shots, or only do one shot per visit, and not every pediatrician will work with you on that).

Most pediatricians also already have a general spiel that they give to prospective parents, so you can also ask them what the overview of their treatment philosophy is.

That said, I changed pediatricians twice after Sven was born so it's not like you're locked into anyone now anyway!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mandycoot, thanks! That gives me a good framework and a reasonable way to approach things ("do you support" vs "do you have a problem with" even is helpful) - I mean, I have stuff I want to discuss but every time I looked up prenatal interviews online they didn't seem very useful. (Their website tells me who to call after hours! They list the emergency hospital and what insurance they take online! And so on.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We asked if they supported veganism and "full term" breastfeeding. We also asked if they had privileges at the hospital we would be using for the birth and any hospitalizations later on. In the end that was really important because there was a lot of hullabaloo around the birth and a possible birth injury, so I was glad to only have to talk to our peds and have them to follow up with as we monitored the birth injury over time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ariann wrote:
We asked if they supported veganism and "full term" breastfeeding. We also asked if they had privileges at the hospital we would be using for the birth and any hospitalizations later on. In the end that was really important because there was a lot of hullabaloo around the birth and a possible birth injury, so I was glad to only have to talk to our peds and have them to follow up with as we monitored the birth injury over time.

Ooo, that is a good thing to ask. I'll be giving birth at a teaching hospital, so things might be a little particular.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 89  Next