| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Has anyone ever dealt with high fevers without any other significant symptoms? We have not even a runny nose over here, but a fever just measured at 103+. We had a similar several day event a couple weeks ago, no other symptoms ever surfaced. We called the doctor that time, since we had never dealt with a high fever with her, and they just told us it happens and to treat with ibuprofen, but that was probably on the second day of a four or five day ordeal. And now it is back. Ideas?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This morning - no fever, chipper. We walked/triked to the playground and she was cranky within 5 minutes of arriving. Went back home, played with neighbor kid, nanny came, and then about an hour later the nanny texted saying she's lethargic and cranky and wants to go to bed. Argh.

Dr. Google and the AAP baby book agree that fevers without other symptoms (except the symptoms the fever causes) are likely due to: roseola (but she's a little old for that, and no rash after the last fever, and wouldn't happen twice), bacterial infections like UTI and ear infection (but seems peculiar to have this twice in a month, unless it's a prolonged UTI that is coming and going somehow), viral meningitis (if also a headache or stiff neck develop - viral meningitis usually passes on its own, seems unlikely though), auto-immune disorder (yeah, no), or cancer (not going there).

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:02 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I don't know that it's unusual to have bacterial infections twice in a month. I used to get ear infections often as a kid. Especially in the summer when I swam a lot. My guess is that whatever she has is minor enough that you can't even see the other symptoms yet. That seems like good news.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I immediately though of UTI when reading your post Ariann, only because I've had experience with that and no other symptoms. Hopefully M will be better soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ariann wrote:
Has anyone ever dealt with high fevers without any other significant symptoms? We have not even a runny nose over here, but a fever just measured at 103+. We had a similar several day event a couple weeks ago, no other symptoms ever surfaced. We called the doctor that time, since we had never dealt with a high fever with her, and they just told us it happens and to treat with ibuprofen, but that was probably on the second day of a four or five day ordeal. And now it is back. Ideas?

There are a lot of bugs going around at the moment. I hear all the mums here in the neighbourhoods and at school complaining about illness after illness and we seem to have had multiple bugs, colds and flu's here as well. My little boy of two had (sometimes a very) high fever three times this last month. He was teething, had a flu and bronchitis and possibly another flu and a cold or two. If your child has a fever he is definitely fighting something off, you can't help but wonder what it might be, but the best thing is just to make him or her as comfortable as possible and watch for warning signs, otherwise they'll get over it and will have a stronger immune system as a result.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Starting to suspect roseola. She has a very small rash on her face, but she doesn't often get a rash, so that counts as a new symptom! Her fever is ongoing, so not the typical pattern of roseola. If the fever is still there tomorrow, we will head to the doctor.

Tigon, one of my sisters used to get lots of ear infections, but I never had one and my other siblings never had them, so I was thinking it'd be the kind of thing where we would know by now if she was the kind of kid prone to ear infections. And she has never had one before.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The internet was wrong, the rash was a red herring - it's strep. At least now we have an end point for the contagion. (Dr. Google tells me that actually she has scarlet fever, which I thought was an old timey third world country sort of disease, but actually is just a reference to the rash that some kids get with strep throat).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what do you guys put on your kids to keep the bugs away?
we have a crepe ton of mosquitos. they mainly like to feast on me but i wont put bug spray on myself either since barnacle baby is always attached to me.

last night there was clearly a mosquito or 12 in our bedroom and BP's arm is covered in bites. and she appears to be mildly allergic to bug bites as they all turns into giant welts. when i woke up this morning the first thing i thought was that she had chicken pox.

she was fine all day then wouldnt sleep tonight and eventually was using her super sharp dagger claws to claw at her arms so we took a 9pm drive to the grocery store to find calamine lotion.

*sigh*

the question is obviously more for when we go outside and not for bedtime that is just what made me think of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:04 pm 

We have some of those bug repellant baby legs for serious situations. My parents live in the Deep South so we can't really avoid bugs but I do try. I mainly try to keep babynut out of buggy times like dusk. *Fans can help a lot indoors. I mostly am concerned with ticks in the NE so I check thoroughly at bath time. Sorry, no quick fix!

Eta: *I spent about 6 months in Central America where Mosquitos were bad and I learned that a fan pointed at your bed could go along way toward prevention of bites.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ariann wrote:
The internet was wrong, the rash was a red herring - it's strep. At least now we have an end point for the contagion. (Dr. Google tells me that actually she has scarlet fever, which I thought was an old timey third world country sort of disease, but actually is just a reference to the rash that some kids get with strep throat).

I had scarlet fever as a little kid and it wigged me out SO MUCH because I'd just read the Velveteen Rabbit. I thought people were going to come and burn my linens and stuff.

Feel better soon Malka!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Thankfully that was an old post! Once we got some antibiotics into her she was good as new.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:50 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

there is such a thing as bug repellant baby legs? is it on the actual baby legs site?

must go investigate!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:53 am 
Married to the wolfman

Ariann wrote:
Thankfully that was an old post! Once we got some antibiotics into her she was good as new.

Ha! I am good at reading internet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

for those of you in the US who have flown with kids under 2, i believe most if not all airlines let kids under 2 fly free. did you need some sort of documentation of their birth date like their birth certificate or do you just say they are under 2?

do you need any sort of ID for kids in an airport (for domestic travel)

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

You don't need a photo ID for minors, but if you are flying with a free lap child I would bring their birth certificate just in case. When I flew with Sven at 2 months old they didn't even question his age, but if your child is closer to 2 they may be more stringent about the age cutoff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i was actually thinking the other way around. im thinking about planning a Natl Parks vacation (either Glacier or Yosemite) for next year and most likely when we go BP will be like 2 years and like a month. would hate to buy a plane ticket for her cause she's a month over but wasnt sure how strict they were

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:24 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

They are very strict, if they find out. They don't always ask for the birth certificate, but if they happened to ask and saw that she was a two years and one day and didn't have her own ticket, they would make you pay for one. We fly quite a bit and it is such a blow to have to buy a third ticket from now on!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:03 pm 
Saggy Butt

I hate having to pay for the extra ticket, but honestly I think I hate flying with a lap child more. It's no fun for anybody!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:37 am 
Nooch of Earl

Maybe it's just that we tend to do longer flights (my first was LAX->Tokyo), but I don't think there's enough liquor on the planet to make me want to fly with a 2 year old kid on my lap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh boy. We're flying from Copenhagen to Newark in two weeks. tiny wu is sitting on my lap, because if I had to buy another ticket we would not be going on this trip. She turns 21 months the day before we leave. Think tiny, light, compact thoughts, tiny wu!

LP, we haven't ever been asked to show the birth certificate so far, but I saw on the Southwest website that you cannot board the plane with a baby without showing the birth certificate first. I would not want to risk getting caught out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:42 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have been asked for Will's birth certificate every time he's flown with us! (And on the last flight at 23 months, the attendant even said "I bet this will be his last trip for a while?" Sad, but true.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:46 am 

The trip I took where Inez was closest to the cut-off was international (Seattle to Frankfurt on my lap at a big-for-her-age 21 months, whee!), so she had to have her passport obviously. On domestic flights they've never asked for any ID for her, but she's either been obviously under or obviously over and had her own seat. I wouldn't chance it, though. They will totally make you buy a ticket if they find out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:50 am 
Married to the wolfman

I was once asked for ID for E going through security (maybe because he had a different last name on his ticket than on mine, I don't know) but as soon as I started pulling it out the TSA agent was sort of embarrassed and like never mind go through. Airlines never asked me for ID for either kid when they were under 2. (But I carried it anyway because yeah.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:52 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yeah, adding to the chorus, but I was asked for a birth certificate for L when I flew (domestically) with her as a lap baby at 4 months. Would definitely not risk trying to fly with a 2 year old as a lap baby!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:36 am 
***LIES!!!***

We weren't asked for any ID for Malka when we flew with her at 17 months. I don't even know if we had any on us. But it super, super sucked to have her on my lap. I'm really looking forward to her having her own seat on her flights this summer, even though this is going to be a crazy expensive trip.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next