| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

PS all the same stuff applies to adults using Tylenol.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:54 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

There is a really good (i.e. scary) episode on This American Life about the overdosings of Tylenol, if you were interested: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... s-directed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ugh this sucks. so yesterday BP seemed so much better. seemed like she was pretty much on the mend.
then at bedtime last night she decided she was still sick. wouldnt sleep, was so stuffed up. much tears.
tried sucking boogers out of her nose.

me and her were up over and over all night. she couldnt breath, i cant stop coughing.
sucks.
she's having trouble nursing. she keeps gagging because she is so stuffed up.
she seems fine today otherwise but keeps gagging when she tries to nurse. i sprayed a bunch of saline up her nose and sucked out some boogers and it's a little better.
i called the dr to see if there was anything else i could give her and they said she's too young for any other OTC meds and to keep trying the saline and snot sucker.

ugh
ugh
ugh

yesterday was a big giant lie apparently!!!
now we have to go to Target to restock our supply of cough syrup (for me) and saline (for her)

i forking hate this cold.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

our bottle of tylenol has a giant sticker on it that says "TELL YOUR DOCTOR THIS IS A NEW CONCENTRATION" so i wonder if dosing did get standardized.

i can barely get a half dose into BP i dont think i have a chance in nine hells of getting a full dose in her

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:24 pm 

I could barely get the full dose in my child (and still have trouble) Most would dribble out of his mouth and it could be a fight to get him to take it. His fever would still go down so I guess it was enough.

I have a question. During pregnancy, when do you have to start getting 60 to 70 grams of protein a day? At thirteen weeks I still have first trimester symptoms. I'm rarely ever hungry and after I eat even a little bit I completely crash. I get full after a few bites of food. Yesterday I could only eat two meals. (And a little bit of snacking.) I just did not want dinner and the thought made me feel sick. I drank a glass of soy milk before bed And I think I barely got 60 g yesterday. My stomach area has also been aching. It is almost 10:30 here and I have no desire to eat dinner and nothing sounds good. Part of the problem, along with the nausea is that I'm constantly very thirsty. Even as I'm drinking water the thirst doesn't go away.

I've been very fatigued these past two weeks and I hope that it is not any sort of deficiency.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:17 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I had this problem the first trimester. I didn't ask my doctor about protein specifically, but I asked about calories since I was having so many problems eating. My OB said the first trimester I didn't need to increase my calories at all and the second trimester I needed to add the equivalent of a glass of milk or two. I'm sure you're fine now, and you'll be able to pay more attention to protein/nutrition once the nausea goes away. Lots of women have problems eating well in the beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:31 pm 

What type of thermometer should I use/have on hand for a baby? Also, I didn't know there were so many types of thermometers...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:44 pm 

We have an ear and a rectal therometer. We use the ear if we can tell that he has a fever by touch and a rectal if we need a more accurate reading. I've only used the rectal once.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We've only ever use the ear one consistently. We didn't buy a rectal because I knew I wouldn't use it.. We had a forehead one, but it was terribly inconsistent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have this pacifier with a built in thermometer! Its neat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:01 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm that person who never bought a thermometer before our first kid was born, so we just used the one the hospital gave us for underarm temperatures, and eventually bought a rectal thermometer when we needed to know a more accurate temperature.

I really should look into these ear thermometers though....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:30 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We have an ear thermometer - it was not cheap either (around $50 if I remember correctly) and I feel that it is not very accurate. I can take two temperatures one minute apart in same ear and the temp will be 1 or 1.5 whole degrees off! That bugs me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive always read the rectal ones are the most accurate. we have a rectal one and i was surprised she lets us do it. she still at 15 months let us do it.

my question; can anyone recommend baby/toddler ear muffs, as in ear/hearing protection? we are going to visit my SIL and her boyfriend in Asheville in September and they have tix to some music/beer festival. not sure exactly what it will be like but feel like it will probably be pretty loud.

my husband found these on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Banz-Hearing-Protector-Earmuffs/dp/B002SW3EZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406768210&sr=8-1&keywords=ear+protection+baby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:07 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Not used them personally, but everyone I know who uses ear muffs uses those Baby Banz ones, LisaPunk.

I just have an electronic ear thermometer, can't even imagine trying to use any other kind!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:02 am 
Seagull of the PPK

when our kids were born someone gave me a packet of those thermometer stickers, and i think we used them for years.

now we are terrible people and use our laser thermometer on each other.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:03 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

where do people get shoes for their toddling toddler?
my best friend got 2 pairs of the exact same robeez for her shower so she gave me the 2nd pair and it's what ive been using since she could crawl but they are size 0-6 months and they are getting beat.

i went to a couple different places today (kohls and babies r us) and they had lots of shoes for infants which was perplexing as it never occurred to me to put shoes on her til she was mobile but almost nothing 6 months and up.
actually babies r us had a bunch of bigger kid shoes but
#1 they were expensive ($30 for kid shoes?)
#2 they were mainly made of leather
#3 like everything else in BRU they were very genderiffic.
#4 the sizing was confusing. i picked up a pair that said size 2 and they seemed to be the same size as her 0-6 month shoes so i have no idea what size she should be

the robeez are actually perfect they just slip on and they have the soft bottoms which is what she still needs at this age but they are made of leather so im not actually going to pay for another pair.

we have a stride rite in the mall but i imagine it's expensive and mainly leather.
boo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:43 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We got our vegan soft-soled shoes from an Etsy shop called Little Pitterpat.

For "regular" shoes my favorites are Keen H2 sandals and Tsukihoshi athletic shoes. I usually just order like 20 pairs from Zappos every time he needs a new size, try them all on him, and send 19 pairs back. Unfortunately I've found that $30 for kids' shoes is nothing, though! It stinks when they grow out of them every 4-6 months...

Most Stride Rites seems to be leather from what I've seen. However, you can always go to Stride Rite, Nordstrom or a specialty kids shoe store just to get measured, so you know the ballpark size to order later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I always hear IsaBooties for vegan soft soled baby shoes but I've never seen them in person, just online. ETA: their webpage isn't working for me so I took out the link... lots of places claim to have them though if you google.

E & M both had crazy high insteps (likely inherited from me) and buying shoes online for them was absolutely impossible because their feet didn't fit right into anything. I was so happy when E got to the point where all he wanted to wear were Crocs. M mostly wears sandals, because he hates wearing shoes at all, and for some reason it's easier to find vegan sandals.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We love Crocs over here! Mrdub swore up and down before we had kids that his kids would never wear Crocs.... But they are so easy! You can find cheaper versions at Payless (airwalks, I think) or Target (Ribbitz by Crocs). I already have a pair waiting for Press!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

P.S. have you found vegan Robeez? I wanted some so badly for Will, but never found any. I was super pumped when a mom at one of my groups gave me a pair for Press (leather, but they were second-hand and free, so I'm okay with that!).

*Edit: I guess I didn't get to the end of your original post. Question answered!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:00 am 
***LIES!!!***

Malka had a couple awesome pairs of Puma faux leather soft soled sneakers with Velcro in the beginning. They are definitely available online. We now do Keen, croc knock offs, and sneakers from the thrift store or non-leather from Payless (boys sneakers are worth buying there, girls less so, we buy boys stuff almost always for durability and better construction)..

After the bs 0-6 months size, toddler shoes come in toddler sizes. Malka's first shoes were a size 4, she now wears a 7-8. We have actually gotten a lot of use out of shoes because her feet aren't growing quickly, you may have the same luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:03 am 
***LIES!!!***

And I highly recommend Bogs for snow boots!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:44 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We went to payless and had his feet measured - they had several styles in his size that were non-leather and since they are cheap it didn't bother me too much when he ran through mud puddles or threw his shoe out the window of our car when we were driving down the highway...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:33 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone given their toddler benedryl?
when BP had a cold and was a faucet of snot i called the dr asking if there was ANYTHING i could do for her other than saline/snot sucker and they said no she was too young.
at her 15 month appt i asked the dr again and was just like "so there is really nothing else i can do?" because the kid was miserable and coudlnt sleep and couldnt breathe and she again said she is too young for a decongestant and at this age they want them building up their immune system BUT then she said we could try a little benedryl or an antihistamine just to dry her up.

fast forward to now. the past two weeks have been hell on earth. she MUST be cutting a molar or maybe like 15 molars all at once because we havent slept in like 2 weeks and now she has all this fluid in her from teething (and possibly another small cold as my husband said he felt kinda bleh yesterday) and she is just basically 100% snot. she fights the snot sucker like crazy and hates having her boogers wiped away.
she is just a hot mess of burbling snot

but when i was looking at kids benedryl at the store it said not to give it to a kid under 4. i would have to call the dr anyways to get the dosage so obviously i could ask them AGAIN if it was REALLY ok but stuff like this makes me majorly paranoid.
there's all these websites online about how it's fine to give your baby benedryl to go on a plane but still......paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i took BP to the mall today to get her feet measured at Stride Rite and shock of the day she has small feet! :-P
i guess she's between a 3 and a 3.5

Stride Rite was pretty awful. all the shoes were leather and what i didnt realize for awhile is the display i was looking at was the "boys" display.
i found a couple that were ok but i felt like the bottoms were hard even though it was labeled as "STAGE 2! CRUISING/WALKING!"
they were also made of leather.
i thought it was such a small selection til i noticed in another area of the store the "girls" display.
ugh. just. so. ugh.
literally ever single pair was pink and sparkly and had bows except i think one was white and had a pink bow.
like why cant girls have choices?? why cant they have the pink if they want or something ELSE if they want?

i would have no problem buying "boys" shoes but we left since everything was leather.

same thing in Payless though slightly less genderfied. then BP totally took off on me in Payless which ws pretty amusing cause she's just figuring out the walking thing and i was like "whoa! off she goes! see ya later!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next