| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 112  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:39 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

We inherited one, and we've enjoyed it. The benefits for us: 1) we have hardwood floors, and it's a couple layers more of padding to keep kiddo from banging his head when he's learning to do things like roll over, 2) You can dangle things from the top so kiddo can work on looking at objects, reaching, and grabbing, 3) There's a mirror that we can move so it's either above kid (while he's on his back) or in front of him (while he's on his stomach).

You could get the same thing from a thick blanket, clip-on mobile, and some other kind of mirror, so it's not really necessary. We wouldn't have bought one ourselves, but it's worth the small amount of space it takes up (we can fold it up flat and hide it behind the couch when we're not using it).

Also, the music has an off switch, and we never turn it on. Though the cats are surprisingly good at flipping it on!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:07 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My Zoetrope wrote:
Are those little baby gyms/activity mats worth it? They are all so...loud looking.

We were gifted one from a friend whose kid lost interest in it at 9 months and yeah, it's pretty garish. But Little Nettle likes batting at the dangling animals and these days occasionally actually grabbing them and it's a good place to do tummy time. We have wood floors and put a yoga blanket under it for some extra cushioning. I actually put it on the bed more because that's easier for me. I don't know that we would have bought one but it's worked for us. Sadly ours does not fold up easily so we pretty much have it open and on the floor in one room or another at any given point in time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we liked ours. i was just thinking i should finally pack it up and put it in the attic. BP HATED tummy time but liked lying on her back and looking at stuff and/or grabbing at the dangly things. it was also the first place she showed any mobility and would spin in circles on her tummy. (ie pull herself around).

i wouldn't say they are *necessary* but i thought ours was worthwhile.
also when BP starting learning to pull herself up she would pull herself up on it and look at the lights at the top.

we have this one
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Rainforest-Melodies-Lights-Deluxe/dp/B000FFL58Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413573432&sr=8-1&keywords=fisher+price+rainforest+play+mat

i have no idea why they are so expensive but it was a shower gift.

her favorite thing was the hanging butterflies in the middle.

the mirror (ours is orange) was one of the very few things of hers that one of our dogs chewed up.

you can probably find one second hand at a consignment shop or yard sale if you're unsure whether you want one or not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:20 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

madeleine.teacup wrote:
Sadly ours does not fold up easily so we pretty much have it open and on the floor in one room or another at any given point in time.

oh this too. ours basically stayed on the floor in the nursery which is where we almost always used it (couple times brought it out to the living room)

but she has never inhabited the nursery so it doesnt really matter. right now it's sitting in her crib which she has also never inhabited. :-P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:28 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

This is the one we have that folds flat (though ours is just slightly different).

http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Love-Deluxe- ... s=baby+gym

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:31 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

We have the baby einstein ocean wonders one. It folds easily so we can put it under the couch when not in use. First baby loved it and it would allow me to run around and pick up the house for 20 minute stretches while he entertained himself. Newbie is not such a fan, but he will spend a minute or two batting at the toys if I have to run to the restroom or something. I really think the skip hop woodland one is cute and would have purchased that if I hadn't been a cheap-o and gotten a used one. You can get a used mat on CL and wash it and then dangle your own baby toys from it. the mirror on it is the best part - he does enjoy staring at his gorgeous self.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:37 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
i have no idea why they are so expensive but it was a shower gift.

I have no idea either! I'm super glad our friends passed theirs on to us, it was really nice of them.

annasrobbie wrote:
I really think the skip hop woodland one is cute and would have purchased that if I hadn't been a cheap-o and gotten a used one.

That's the one I was going to suggest! I thought it was the cutest.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

We had the skip hop one, and Scarlett liked it, but a blanket on the floor would have been fine. We wouldn't have bought it ourselves but gladly accepted it as a gift. We are kind of minimalists in general (except when it comes to kitchen appliances...) so that is also our approach to baby and kid stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:39 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I never put one on my registry or anything because I wasn't really sure about them and was trying to go the minimalist route. I have a bunch of Babies 'R Us gift cards though, and I think I'm going to use them for this (and it will basically be free.) I actually had my eye on the Skip Hop Woodland one (because it was the least offensive visually), but there is a cheaper one that looks like it will do the job just fine. We have wood floors too, so that is helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:45 pm 

Ha! "Least offensive visually" is a good way of putting it. Weirdly that exact gym showed up in About Time, which I recently watched* with my sweetheart. I was like, Hey, that's the gym! and then realized I must have parent goggles now.

*In installments of bits and pieces with no sound and the subtitles on at night because all movies are silent movies leading up to and after bebe bedtime. It makes some bad movies better and some good movies worse, so it's been interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:40 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

My best friend just had her second bebe. Her daughter is a month older than BP. Any good "yay I'm a big sister" book recommendations ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:49 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what kind of thermometer do people use after the butt thermometer becomes less than convieient?

BP was so sick last Friday and spent the whole day clinging to me and burning up. the one time i took her temp with the rectal thermometer was epic screaming.

would be nice to have something i dont have to undress her and unbarnacle her for. do the ear ones work ok?

ive read the forehead ones arent that accurate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:59 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I use an ear one and feel it is pretty accurate. It is going to be lower then a rectal temp of course, but I think it is similar to an oral temp.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:19 pm 
Semen Strong

We use the ear one. It is similar to the one her MD uses.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks ill look into an ear one. i think there are resources online somewhere that tell you the various temps that are considered bad for each type of thermometer (ie over 103 for this type call your dr!)

thankfully what she had seemed to have been a 24 hour thing!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:17 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

We use a temporal one. I know they're less accurate but I figure, hey, that's what the doctor uses and it's just so much easier. We got the same Exergen one they had at the pediatrician's office, which I've seen at Costco.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm a little late to the party re baby gyms but we loved this one from IKEA (with just a folded blanket underneath). The price is right and it's a solid, stylish-looking piece of wood. I also just found this new one from IKEA which is also pretty subdued for those who are also allergic to garish toys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

My 23 month old still nurses (including overnight a few times) and sleeps with us on a king-sized mattress. I'm pregnant with our second, due in July when our son will be 2.5. I'm basically terrified of introducing a newborn into the mix and can't picture the logistics of how it will work when there's (likely) two nurslings (likely) sharing our bed at least part of the time.

Help me, mothers of two! Please tell me it's going to work out somehow?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

I should add, we're all really happy with the sleeping/nursing arrangement we have now - it has worked really well for us and we've all been well rested for the last couple of years. I'm not exactly raring to make any unnecessary dramatic changes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

is your mattress on the floor?
could you add a smaller twin sized mattress next to it for the toddler and then the bebe can go where he once was?

sounds like a simple fix that probably IRL wouldnt play out as easily. :-/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

A co-sleeper for the baby is another option.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

around what age do kids start to understand the concept of choices?
BabyPunk seems to understand tons even though she really isnt verbal but she doesnt seem to understand choices which is a bit frustrating. she seems to just parrot whatever you say.
so for example if she's sitting in her high chair coloring but seems like she's done if i ask her if she want to color more or does she want to get "down" she might just say "down" but then i take her out and she flips out.

if im holding her and i ask her if she wants to stay "up" or get "down" she will just pick one of the words and say it but doesnt necessarily mean what she says.

she seems to know what the words mean (like up and down) because when she really wants to say see the guinea pigs she is all like UP UP UP UP UP.

she knows how to shake her head no and seems to do that correctly but hasnt figured out yes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:57 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Scarlett was an early talker but I don't think she really understood choices until recently, at 2.5. Before that she would always choose the last one in the list. Yes, we learned to manipulate that...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks that was kind of what i was thinking. sometime after 2ish. im just glad it's not like after 4ish. hahaha

oh toddlers they make no sense!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

My 22 month old doesn't understand choices if it's presented as X or Y (e.g. "do you want to go the playground or stay here?" - he will usually say "yeah!" which makes no sense) but if I present one choice he will be able to give a much more robust, and accurate, answer (e.g. "do you want to go to the playground?" he might say, "no. Want to stay here. Stay with trains," or "yes, go to the playground," and he starts walking towards the door to get his shoes on.

I don't really know why there's such a large difference - maybe something about the simplicity of the "do you want" question vs the choice, which requires him to imagine two hypothetical scenarios and then pick the one he wants, by which time he might forget what he's supposed to be answering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 112  Next