| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 112  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:11 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

So, baby eczema. I feel like I have a daily fight with S's skin, mostly her cheeks and forehead with redness and dryness, and now the back of her legs with patches of dry hard skin. I've tried moisturizing with just coconut oil, leaving it alone, a fragrance-free lotion, oatmeal baths, humidifier at night and day, and that Honest healing balm, and it is hit/miss on whether it helps or not. i haven't done a proper elimination diet with myself, but i have made note about what i have eaten when she has a flare-up and can't see a pattern. She also has taken to scratching herself on the forehead whenever she wakes up, resulting in sad little welts and scabs (and i clip her fingernails and file them down daily!) She has a Dr. appt for her 4-month checkup in a few weeks, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions in the mean time?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:30 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we have not battled eczema ourselves but i have heard breastmilk is supposed to be good for it. like actually applying expressed milk to the skin.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:57 am 
Nailed to the V

Ouch, poor baby. The doctor might prescribe a topical steroid cream. In the meantime, like LP said breastmilk is worth trying for its anti-inflammatory properties, and easing up on soap (use warm water to bathe). Some also think there might be a link between ordinary dust mites and eczema, so I would thoroughly vacuum and dust, which can't hurt!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:11 pm 

I have not tried that in awhile, will do! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ugh, sorry to hear it My Zoetrope. My 4 year old also has been having a problem with an eczema-like rash on her cheeks (I suspect it is eczema, but haven't had it definitively diagnosed). What helps most is never using soap on her face and putting a super thick cream or ointment on her cheeks multiple times per day. She tends to rub it off, so frequent application is pretty critical. I use the Honest healing balm too, actually. It's totally not vegan, but I had a sample of Aquaphor, and that seemed to work even better. I don't really want to buy Aquaphor if I can avoid it though :-(.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:04 pm 

Thanks helbury. I've been super-diligent the last few days about applying lotion on the rough spots on her body and her cheeks every diaper change and nursing session. The rough spots are thankfully getting softer, and I haven't seen much of a change on the cheeks/forehead yet. I'm just going to keep trying different things every few days (if no change) until we see her Dr. in a few weeks. Hopefully it will be under control by then. I imagine it is harder to keep any sort of lotion/balm on a 4-year old! Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I had eczema on and off for years as a kid. The only things that worked were hydrocortisone or similar (at that time, by prescription, but now you can get stronger formulations OTC if needed) and bleach baths (a little bit of bleach in a bathtub for a soak, there's some evidence that there's a bacteria on the skin that might be involved in eczema, for some people this is really, really effective, definitely was for me). Lotions never did anything at all for me. When I get patches as an adult occasionally I just go straight to the hydrocortisone, it is a total waste of time to try lotions first - dry skin is just not the actual problem.

I don't know what the minimum age for using hydrocortisone is, and it depends on where on the body/how much of the body is affected - you don't want to be using hydrocortisone over a large area for any length of time, or in the same area over and over again if it's a sensitive area because it will thin the skin eventually (face, near groin, for example). I know I was using it as a toddler. Bleach baths are harder because you have to wait until you can trust them not to drink the water! And of course it's not helpful if you're dealing with anything above the chest.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:38 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I've also had eczema on/off since I was a kid and I too go straight for the hydrocortisone (but I don't know about using it on babies, I have no idea). The other thing that seems important for clearing it up is keeping the area dry - e.g., now the most common place for an eczema outbreak for me is between my fingers, and I need to make sure I dry my hands super well after washing them.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:54 am 
Inflexitarian

I have eczema and though it is generally much better the last 10 years or so, I find it gets much worse when I'm pregnant which is extra fun. I don't like using the steroid creams, but definitely no soap helps, and the most soothing creams/balms I have used lately have all been teatree based, but that's more to do with the itchy/sore factor than extreme dryness, so might not be helpful.

eta: realised after posting that tea tree oil might not even be available on your side of the world, so really unhelpful!! oops!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My nephew (3) has had eczema on and off since he was born, and uses a (very mild) steroid cream whenever it flares up, and heavy lotion every day. According to his pediatrician, long term use is not a problem.

Eta: personally, I think it's a bad idea to use tea tree or any other essential oil on a child.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:01 pm 
Inflexitarian

Just to clarify, I don't mean straight oil, more like a coconut oil balm with a few drops of tea tree in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok super random question.
swim diapers. they basically just keep the poop in right?
i used them a few times in the summer and it's quite obvious they can pee right through them.

the reason im asking is because we are going on vacation at the end of March and renting a condo type property and it's on the beach but there is also a pool. i emailed the owner whom we are renting from with a few questions and one of which was what was the pool's policy re swim diapers. some places allow them. some places only allow potty trained kids.
then she went on what felt like a bizarre tangent to me about if she has "loose stools" (her words) she shouldn't be in the pool because they would have to drain it if it got contaminated. and if she goes in the pool she should definitely have a diaper on
im guessing she doesnt have kids and didnt quite understand my question.

she also sent me a link to the cdc website about swim diapers (i didnt click on it).

soooooo. do folks generally feel ok letting their non-potty trained kids into public pools with a swim diaper on?

when we did swim lessons i was so terrified BP was gonna poop and it might seep out somehow despite the super high back on them that i had a disposable swim diaper on her and then this like water resistant cover type thing over it. (she has skinny legs)

of course if there are no kids in diapers allowed in the pool then obviously i wont put her in!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:43 pm 
Nailed to the V

My understanding is that swim diapers are for containing poop. We use them.

I think I understand what the pool owner is saying - that's a common rule at least where I'm from. Basically non-potty trained swimmers are allowed but only with swim diapers and only if they're not having loose stools. The problem with loose stools, as opposed to regular firm ones, is that the swim diapers can't contain them so they would leak into the pool, and then they'd have to drain and refill the pool.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:41 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i guess i never was really explained about the different types of poop. maybe that's an obvious one but it never occurred to me. i mean they make swim diapers for all ages of babies so i guess i figured if a pool allowed swim diapers then it allowed swim diapers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

haha we're going to an indoor water park soon and I've been wondering about the swim diaper thing too! We've never used em before and well, how are we supposed to know if there's going to be a loose stool (god I hate that phrase)? Sierra's poops vary quite magnificently during the course of the day and it's always a surprise. I think I'll probably end up using a reusable swim diaper with maybe a diaper cover on top.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Hmm. I assume that when they talk about loose stools, they are really concerned about people with diarrhea swimming. Things like Cryptosporidium are notorious for being spread by fecal contamination in pools, I believe.

That said, my oldest kid always had (and still has) loose-ish stools. That's just how her gut works (her brother and sister eat the same things she does, but have more "normal" poops). Plus, she poops multiple times per day. Before she was potty trained, when we'd swim, I'd always put her in two swim diapers, just to make sure that everything was contained. (Like Audrey mentions, it was a cloth diaper cover with a cloth swim diaper underneath).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

since BabyPunk still only breastfeeds she still has never had an actually solid poop.
lately now that she has been drinking small amounts of soy milk it has become less super loose and more
"fudgey" (is this conversation great or what?)

i dont want to jinx myself but now that she's a toddler her pooping has become more regular and she poops mainly at home in the morning. it was never an issue during our brief foray into swim lessons or when we went to the local public pool this summer and she's never pooped at playgroup either.

could totally be dumb luck.
if the pool does allow swim diapers i will probably do a double layer just to be safe!

the lady whom i was emailing does not actually own the pool. she owns the condo we are renting which is part of a larger complex which the pool is part of. she didnt know the swim diaper policy at the pool.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i took my kids to swimming at the Y from about 6 months on-- I don't think we ever had them poop in the pool. Several times when they were older, as soon as we got in the pool, they suddenly had to go and we had to get out, that was always fun, but I think normally when kids are in the pool they are too busy to poop. Later my daughter's special needs class, as a group, used to go for swim therapy once a week, and they were bigger kids wearing normal diapers (they don't make swimmies past toddler size, that we could find). At one point I was talking to the pool manager and she said that the only times they had had to drain the pool was due to senior accidents.... I think any time anyone might be having some tummy issues, it is best to stay out of the pool anyway- but if your kid is starting to feel sick or acting off you probably wouldn't take them to the pool anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:56 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's a good point torque. i think the older we get the more pooping becomes something where you actually have to stop and put some effort into it whereas im guessing as an infant it just happens (?)

unless you're sick of course but i would never in a million years take her to the pool if she was any kind of sick.

i probably jinxed myself posting about this and we'll probably go in the pool and she'll probably take a massive dump that will leak everywhere >_<

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what are peoples' go to remedy for really bad diaper rash?
we've never had an issue with it that didnt resolve itself quickly with a little A&D ointment smeared over the redness.
now that BP is eating yogurt her poops are getting more gross and icky but they are not quite yet solid formed poops but they arent the big puddle explosion of a breastmilk poop.
they are smaller and fudgey and sticky and basically stick in her butt crack.
the other issue is before you KNEW when she pooped because you could hear the explosion a mile away. now you may or may not hear it.
we mainly have to rely on smell. plus now that she's older she doesnt necessarily pee for hours so last night apparently she pooped and we didnt smell it or check it for along time so by the time we got to it she had been sitting it in for who knows how long and she was all red.
today it's just worse. this morning i laid her on the couch with no diaper and let her "air out" her skin for a good 15-20 mins
i just had to clean another small poop and im pretty sure it hurt because i had to scrub with the wipes semi hard just to clean her. i smeared a ton of A&D ointment on her but otherwise im at a loss. is that pretty much all i can do til it clears up?

would people recommend switching to a disposable diaper until it clears up? she's in cloth right now.

poor kid is an unbelievable hot mess. she wont nap. i think she has a tooth cutting right now because last night she kept screaming every now and then like she was in pain and kept whacking herself in the head which is what she does when her teeth hurt.

i tried giving her a fresh diaper, a lot of ointment on the redness, some tylenol for the pain, and some nasal spray because she's also stuffed up and i still couldnt get her to nap. :-(

the other thing is that she's normally super low key and well behaved but apparently she saves all her tantrum behavior for getting her diaper changed because she typically flips out whenever you try to change her diaper so checking often isnt the best solution (though im thinking i may have to just to keep her clean)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Just fyi, A&D isn't recommended for use with cloth diapers. We generally used coconut oil and the one time she had a longer lasting red spot, I used teatree oil. And a nice dusting of coconut flour baby powder can help keep them dry, which minimizes rashs. And diaperfree is the best!

I hope she feels better soon!.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh ok i didnt know that.
is it bad for her or is it bad for the diaper?

ill use disposables til it clears up.
i just asked her if she wanted to hang out on the couch with her diaper off only to find she pooped AGAIN.
like seriously what the fizzle. now two of the sores are bleeding a little from having to wipe the poop off them. :-( :-( :-(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

alrighty so i have a wild crazy no pants/no diaper toddler roaming free in my house because as my husband said "it wouldnt be the first time an animal pooped or peed on our carpet"

fun time!

she thinks this is great ill probably never get pants on her again

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Does the A+D cream you have contain zinc oxide? I swear, zinc oxide is magic when it comes to clearing up diaper rashes. I've always been partial to Boudreux's butt paste, but there are many other creams that have it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:20 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

looking at the ingredients it doesnt appear to (some of it is smudged but i dont think it does)

im pretty sure i got this giant tube of A&D free in a bag of other stuff from the OB when i was first pregnant and it's all weve ever used for slight red irritation because we've never had an issue. i think all it does is create a barrier and nothing else but looking at it now i see it is SUPER unvegan.

it has lanolin and cod liver oil and then also paraffin. is paraffin animal fat i cant remember?

so within two minutes of setting her free pants free she took a giant pee on the carpet. lol.

it's been a fun day ;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 112  Next