| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We liked Boudreaux's Butt Paste as well. Silas only had rash a few times, but this stuff cleared it right up. The natural version of Boudreaux's didn't work for him at all though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:42 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Raspberry Leaf Tea, total bunk or worth drinking?

"Raspberry leaf tea is thought to tone the muscles of your uterus (womb) to help it work better during labour."

I have a MW apt. next week and will ask her about it for me personally, but I was wondering if anyone else drank this tea leading up to labor?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:08 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Some say it can cause premature labor, but I'm not sure if that'ds a OWT or not! Definitely ask to be sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 am 
Baking In The Flavor

ItsBoiling wrote:
Raspberry Leaf Tea, total bunk or worth drinking?

"Raspberry leaf tea is thought to tone the muscles of your uterus (womb) to help it work better during labour."

I have a MW apt. next week and will ask her about it for me personally, but I was wondering if anyone else drank this tea leading up to labor?

I'm drinking it, starting now in my 3rd trimester. I have no idea if it's bunk or not, but it's not bad tasting. :-)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:02 am 
Semen Strong

Has anyone here dealt with fibroids?

While I was trying to get pregnant every medical professional seemed to agree that they don't generally impact a pregnancy, but then when I had the CVS, the doctor referred to them as "huge" and potentially able to incarcerate the fetus. When I followed up with my midwife, she said that they are generally not an issue but can interfere with fetal growth (intra-uterine growth restriction), increase risks of miscarriage or placental separation, pose a risk for pre-term labor and also make a vaginal delivery harder bc they are like hard plastic marbles embedded in the muscle tissue so they interfere with the uterine muscle contracting normally.

Has anyone had success with changing their diets and reducing fibroid size?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:05 am 
Level 7 Vegan

What kinds of sippy cups do you parents like? I would like to avoid plastic. Kleen Kanteen makes a sippy top for its small bottles, but those don't have handles. Are handles essential? A search for stainless steel sippy cups brings up The Safe Sippy and Thermos Foogo, but those look pretty heavy duty. What features do I want in a sippy cup? And do I need several? Thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:26 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish, I had one huge fibroid when I was pregnant with the Emperor. My OB told me one of three things would happen during pregnancy: it'd get bigger, get smaller, or stay the same. It stayed the same and didn't cause any sort of problems for us. (It was just one though.)

And mitten, I don't think handles are essential at all! The Emperor only started using a sippy at daycare last month, and the ones we got are handleless. He also has a little kleen kanteen that he loves.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

coldandsleepy wrote:
My OB told me one of three things would happen during pregnancy: it'd get bigger, get smaller, or stay the same.

Wow, with that kind of insight no wonder doctors are so well paid. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ha!

On the sippy cups, I've seen these before, but not sure if you can still buy them: http://www.amazon.com/Eco-Vessel-Stainl ... B0029QG3N6. I wonder if you can buy just that little plastic handle bit and use it with Kleen Kanteen or one of the other ones.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

we use plastic ones. i thought about staying away from plastic, but after seeing my friend's kid whack everyone over the head multiple times with their darn metal sippy cups, i think i'll stick with it. those things hurt!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We use plastic sippy cups too. I bought 2 different metal ones but Silas doesn't like how heavy & cold they are on his hands.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:50 am 

Right now when Dash wants a drink we give him one out of our cups. It's pretty adorable. I haven't even looked into sippys or anything yet!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:30 am 

we used plastic straw cups with no handle with our second child after our first got used to tipping back the soft spout one with the handles. It was a learning curve for him not to tip back all cups after that and dump liquids on his face.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks, guys. I think we'll order a kleen kanteen sippy top, since we already own a couple of the small containers. I can't imagine him having the dexterity to drink from a regular cup, but maybe in a couple of months he'll be there!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've been trying to find a sippy cup with handles that isn't plastic too, mitten, and I finally (FINALLY!) found something. The Pura stainless steel sippy comes with a soft silicone spout (and the avent spouts fit on them for when you want to move on to a less nipple-like spout), and the Avent trainer handles fit on them.

Here's a crappy laptop cam pic of this combo:

The only problem is that the bottle is sort of tall for the smallish handles, so I might buy the 5 oz bottle and replace the nipple with the sippy spout. I'm a bit mad that I'm spending so much money on a stupid sippy cup, but I'm just not comfortable with plastic sippy cups, and Lydia really needs handles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Anybody struggled with melasma, or darker pigmentation on the face during pregnancy? I have small patches on my forehead, checks, and upper lip. From googling it I gather that the only thing I can really do (during pregnancy) is stay out of the sun and cover it with makeup.

I wouldn't really care that much, but it looks like I have a giant mustache. Covering it is not really working. I want to wear a sign that says, no this is not hair on my lip! Can anyone recommend a concealer/makeup that worked for this?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:39 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I didn't have darkened pigmentation during pregnancy, but I've found dermablend to be really effective in covering just about anything. I have no idea if it's vegan.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:39 pm 
Semen Strong

I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I asked my midwife about it bc its common among women of color, and she said there really wasn't much you could do besides use make up and stay out of the sun and it generally disappears after pregnancy.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:27 am 
Bathes in Braggs

my melasma is still fading from my last pregnancy-3 years ago!!! i am not looking forward to it coming back. this time i am really trying to stay out of the sun :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks for the sympathy. I'm going to try the dermablend. I've tried two other concealers so far and I still look like I'm trying to powder five o'clock shadow on my upper lip. Taking no chances with the sun, either. It's hats and sunblock everyday from here on out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:42 pm 

Cot / cotbed and changing table suggestions? I have no clue what UK brands are good or bad.

Also, I am so confused about sheets and blankets in the moses basket or crib with a newborn. I thought you were not supposed to have anything like a sheet or blanket on the baby, but now I am reading and hearing that people do have a sheet or whatnot in there. I am confused.

I planned on just bundling the little one with clothes and swaddling and not using sheets or blankets...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

IB, I think most people used fitted sheets underneath, and then some tuck a blanket sheet over top of the baby (sorta trapping the baby, with the sides tucked in). This of course, only works until the baby can roll around enough or maybe kick the covers free. My own preference, with nanny kids was to use just the undersheet and use warm jammies, as you've described.

We're just looking at nursery furniture now. I think I'm going to try and score a changing table on eBay or Freecycle actually. I really want a cradle as opposed to a Moses basket, and I think I may luck out on eBay there as well. Mothercare actually had some that weren't too expensive. I went in there to buy belly bands a few weeks ago..they have a large selection of cots/cribs. If you want a Moses basket, I'm sure you could Freecycle one..they are on the Oxford list all the time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:32 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

ItsBoiling wrote:
Cot / cotbed and changing table suggestions? I have no clue what UK brands are good or bad.

Also, I am so confused about sheets and blankets in the moses basket or crib with a newborn. I thought you were not supposed to have anything like a sheet or blanket on the baby, but now I am reading and hearing that people do have a sheet or whatnot in there. I am confused.

I planned on just bundling the little one with clothes and swaddling and not using sheets or blankets...

Cribs with newborns should not have any blankets or pillows or anything. A fitted sheet, and maybe a bumper pad are ok. I would recommend a sleep sack.

https://www.halosleep.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:54 pm 

Ok, I've got another one! 2 different friends have offered to give me breast pumps, but I'm not really sure why as I'll be taking a year off work and able to breast feed whenever. Will I need to pump and fill up a bottle if I go to the gym or on a bike ride or something? Do they really eat that often???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

breast pumps are good to have on hand if you get mastitis and you need to drain your breast a little bit :) and if that's all you're going to use them for, it's a waste of money to buy one, so yes, take the breast pump...if you never have to use it, that's great. impending mastitis was the only time i ever used mine, and it saved me from getting too bad :)

Reply to topic  [ 2037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 82  Next