| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: dumb questions related to pregnancy and babies and stuff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:19 pm 
And you never will.

BigEnchiladas wrote:
Do they really eat that often???

Yes. Yes they do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:59 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Dash ate every 2-3hrs so it was necessary to have the pump even if I wanted to go shopping sans baby for a couple of hours or get my hair cut. I never used it to build up a stash, I just used it if I needed to give a caregiver something for him to eat and if I was going to be away from him for 4+ hours I would need to pump because my boobs would feel like they were going to explode. It's definitely helpful to have on hand even if you think you're not going to need it often.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:57 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i never did have a pump after the first 2 months when we were transitioning from bottles onto the breast after getting out from the NICU. i guess it would have been helpful a few times but i never really found myself able to get away longer than she would go between feedings anyway. by the time she was 6 months i was able to go to the grocery store and get my hair cut without her needing to nurse, and that's just what we did... i would nurse right before i left, and usually get a solid 2-3 hours (once she was able 5 months). but i dunno... it seemed like an awful lot of work to pump a bottle for an extra hour or two per excursion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:01 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor ate every 2 hours or less round the clock until he was like ten months old. Really that often. I pumped a lot in months 2-4ish but almost never ended up going anywhere without him anyway. It was nice to be able to occasionally give him a bottle when I felt like I seriously just needed him to leave my boobs alone for a bit though.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:51 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Thank you everyone!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Lower back pain. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

low back pain-

pelvic tilts (a mild version of yoga's cat/cow). 50 in the morning. 50 before bed.

Other than that, regular stretching/yoga and warmth (either from a bath or rice sock, etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:19 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you so much. <3 That helped.

Last edited by Tofulish on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm having middle back pain and ice is really helping. Just for 5-10 minutes a couple times a day. Also look into getting a pregnacy support belt. I got one but haven't used it much yet. They are really supposed to help with lower back pain.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

the belly band/ postpartum wrap things were awesome after my second. I felt so floppy and my back was weak. They helped a ton.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

BigEnchiladas wrote:
Ok, I've got another one! 2 different friends have offered to give me breast pumps, but I'm not really sure why as I'll be taking a year off work and able to breast feed whenever. Will I need to pump and fill up a bottle if I go to the gym or on a bike ride or something? Do they really eat that often???

Definitely take the pump!!

I'm a stay at home mom and Miles is only 3 weeks old, exclusively breastfed and I've used my breast pump quite a bit already. He will sleep a good 4-5 hours at night and then only eat off of one side so I HAVE to pump the other breast when he's done because they feel like they will explode! It's also helping build up a small stash for those few times I'll be away. I think it's definitely worth getting one especially if friends are going to give you theirs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:44 pm 
ol' garly cooch

A good pump is worth its weight in gold. Take it.

For back pain yoga, stretching, and walking saved my life.

Babies are eating and pooping machines.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Can you gals share what support belt you have? I know I would like one, but I can't figure out what will work under clothes and not look/feel like I'm in the WWF.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

After my c/s, the hospital gave me this heavy duty support belt that had I swear industrial-strength velcro on it. I loved that thing. It took me, my husband, and my nurse to get that sucker tight enough - I felt like I was in the victorian era, but that's the only way I felt comfortable and like I wasn't going to fall apart.

Once I recovered more and got home (month postpartum), the bella bands that I used through the pregnancy worked great. Lightweight but still gave that extra bit of support. They were great for covering the belly while breastfeeding too!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I got my support belt from a medical supply store. It is pretty heavy duty though. 3 different parts to it. I had to get fitted for it. Some insurances pay for it and medicaid pays for it too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:03 pm 
Semen Strong

That sounds so good. I started doing the tilts, and felt better today.

Has anyone bought a fetal doppler? Can one buy them in brick and mortar stores - I want to try one out before purchasing, as our little Houdini seems very good at evading our MW's.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I used a belly bandit I think it was called. I got it off craigslist. Target has workout ones in the fitness sections that I reckon would work the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:50 pm 
Semen Strong

I thought the belly bandit was for post-partum bellies?
http://bellybandit.com/HowItWorks.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:01 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yes! I was talking about postpartum back ache and general floppiness.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:09 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've been hoping to find a belly bandit on our craigslist, but haven't seen very many in our area. I may have to spring for the full price one, but I'm concerned about the sizing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:41 am 

I want a baby bag, nothing too girly, too expensive but good and I do not just want to use a purse, any recs?

On Belly Bands...
I have not used or felt I needed a bally band, however, I think after Mini B is out I will want one to make the jiggle more subtle.

I got a woven wrap (Hoppediz) - any thoughts on it? It seems so daunting and big.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:53 am 
Nooch of Earl

ItsBoiling wrote:
I want a baby bag, nothing too girly, too expensive but good and I do not just want to use a purse, any recs?

On Belly Bands...
I have not used or felt I needed a bally band, however, I think after Mini B is out I will want one to make the jiggle more subtle.

I got a woven wrap (Hoppediz) - any thoughts on it? It seems so daunting and big.

Assuming you want something vegan... Not sure how easy all these brands are to find in the UK, but I wanted something that LOOKED like a purse, but had the features of a diaper bag. I liked:

- Storksak, a few nonleather bags. I ended up getting the Alison in Chocolate.. I liked the flip-open bottom compartment for the changing mat and supplies, which I thought would keep it separate from my purse stuff. I do wish, though, that the whole thing was faux leather instead of just the details, I think it'd be a nicer looking bag.
- Timi and Leslie. As far as I can tell all their bags are nonleather (though verify yourself obv). I have a pewter Charlie II. It's HUGE, but beautiful. It does seem like a few people have had issues with the quality of stitching, but I haven't noticed any problems yet.. As a caveat I haven't used this day to day yet, it's packed as my hospital bag. The main downside is that to me the size feels more like a weekend bag than a day to day purse. The Timi & Leslies definitely have the most complete accessory set I've seen, including an interior clutch/mini you can grab with your valuables.
- Nest diaper bags. Not all are vegan, but those that are are clearly identified on their website. I liked the Bleecker in gray and was tempted by it. Some of the Nest models, like some of the Storksaks, have that flip-down compartment on the bottom.
- Matt & Nat has one diaper bag. It wasn't my tastes but maybe it will be yours!!

If you like stuff that is more diaper-bag-looking/colorful, there are tons of options out there in bright vinyl. I was really looking for something I could use as a purse, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:39 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I bought a belly bandit last week on a whim, I am glad to hear some good reviews I wasn't sure if it was just some marketing ploy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:43 am 
Nooch of Earl

littlebear wrote:
I bought a belly bandit last week on a whim, I am glad to hear some good reviews I wasn't sure if it was just some marketing ploy.

Which kind did you get? I was looking at the BFF vs. the original design; I have a waist-to-hip ratio that would please Sir Mixalot, so the BFF seems like a better choice but the reviews I found of it seem much less enthusiastic than the original. And so at this dithering step I remain... They seem so expensive for what they are!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:44 am 

Thanks Annak, I will shop right now! I have family that will send me US stuff if I order it to their homes...maybe not in time for baby, but if I love it, I do not mind the wait!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 88  Next