| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what do your kids do on a normal day?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im just curious.

BabyPunk who is 3 spends literally all her time when we are home moving her dinosaurs around the house and setting them up very specifically and makes them eat and drink water. right now my kitchen floor is covered in plastic dinosaurs and they each have their own piece of dry pasta to eat.
all the stuffed dinos are around the banister and gate at the top of our stair case "drinking from the water fall"

this is literally what she spends her entire day on when we are at home. they migrate everywhere and do the same thing over and over.
she jabbers away the whole time.
sometimes she reenacts scenes like a scary t rex chasing them.

when she's not doing that she is sitting on our couch "reading" books which basically means whenever we get a new book she makes us read it to her 100 times til she memorizes it then she jabbers out loud saying pretty much the whole story (sometimes it changes slightly)

ive never really been around kids ever until i had her so i find this completely fascinating that she spends all day every day basically doing the same thing.

my greatest wish for everyone in the world is that they have something they love as much as my kid loves dinosaurs

Post subject: Re: what do your kids do on a normal day?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

The older one will play on his (recycled ex-work) laptop for as long as I let him (usually about an hour total although sometimes I lose track-- he tends to do vaguely educational things so I'm not TOO worried about it-- no generic web browsing or whatever), and will read the rest of the time. He's an active reader-- he sort of crawls around or flails or kicks or stands on his head or whatever while reading. I don't get it, but he seems to like it.

The younger one spends his time building things out of Legos or building train tracks and telling complicated stories around whatever he's doing. Lots of trains, lots of lego spaceships. For hours, yep.

Then one of them will decide to go harrass the other (usually older horning in on younger's stories) and they'll have some kind of whiny usually non-violent disagreement.

Given a chance, younger will play in water and mud and will spend hours pouring things back and forth and mixing up mud and dirt and stuff. He will then tell me what the bowl of mud is-- lava, soup, whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

solipsistnation wrote:
He's an active reader-- he sort of crawls around or flails or kicks or stands on his head or whatever while reading. I don't get it, but he seems to like it.

BP does a version of this. Reading often involves walking on our couch or rolling around. Often she walks around the house which is occasionally a hazard like when she once walked into a wall and another time fell on one of our dogs face while he was sleepng. He didn't like that

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I only see what they do on weekends...but Giles spends his days absorbed in "ABC's". So he plays with foam ABC letters which he runs around the house with, periodically the "A" talks to the "B" and the two friends jump around the couch or have some little dialogue but typically he just seems to be carrying them around, lining them up, spelling words with them...then he likes to write out the ABC's on his magnadoodle or paper, or play with ABC stickers, or play "Endless ABC's" or "endless words" or "endless reader" on his ipad. He can be coaxed into singing songs that involve lots of hand motions or jumping and will also periodically break to play with magnatiles (which often get lined up to make letters). So I would say Giles plays ABC's all the day long...In fact he is lying on the living room floor fallen asleep on top of a pile of ABC's as we speak.

Sebastian...he is train crazy and is always interested in "play trains" where we set up the tracks and the trains have harrowing adventures where he basically reinacts Thomas the Tank cartoon scenarios he has seen "Oh no! the Jovy wood" "Oh No! Diesel 10 is falling!" "Help Thomas!!!" He though flits around to other activities in between train games so enjoys making food in his kitchen, dragging out other toys and sprinkling them around the house, pulling all my pans from the cupboard, unrolling all the toilet paper from the rolls, playing anything at all on the ipad or watching peppa pig. His overarching interest though is trains and it is his primary topic of conversation. Pretty much he is always having a discussion with himself or anybody available about Thomas, Rosie, Percy, Henry, Spencer or his favorite Charlie. It is so boring.

Both kids really enjoy doing different activities if I am actively engaging them though. So I try to get crafts or kitchen projects going to broaden their tiny horizons.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:35 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Jonah is truck obsessed at the moment. Playing trucks ("Trucks crash! Drive emergency room!"), reading truck books, listening to truck music, and begging to watch truck videos.

In between he likes to build towers, rearrange everything in the house ("didn't I put that laundry basket in the other room?"), harassing the nice cat ("I kiss her"), singing songs, and "helping" with chores. He's actually not bad at making the bed, but his idea of folding laundry is pretty similar to Lucy stomping grapes.

And we take a long walk every day. We stop to look at trucks (no surprise), chickens, cats, dogs, and art.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We have no normal days!

But typical activities include: very long and involved games of "family" (this means taking care of baby dolls, including her protesting sister, and cooking in the play kitchen), playing with trains and cars, playing instruments and havingn dance parties, roaming the neighborhood for playmates, lonng playground visits, bike and scooter riding, going to the pool and making friends there, coloring on unauthorized things with markers, running around jumping off things being a hooligan, begging for screen time so she can play video games or watch Odd Squad. Malka does not like playing alone and gets really jealous if we pay attention to her sister and really upset when she can't have playmates over (although most playdates involve drama). Talya spends most of her time trying to climb stuff, playing with things with wheels, putting things in boxes, or trying to stick the maraca into the hole of a CD (seriously, this can go on for an hour).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh yeah, they both really like playing in water so the water table is a frequent thing and also really long baths. When we let her, Malka will "wash dishes" for hours in the kitchen sink. Her favorite thing at preschool was washing their cups for snack time and playing in the big bean bin.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ariann wrote:
We have no normal days!

But typical activities include: very long and involved games of "family" (this means taking care of baby dolls, including her protesting sister, and cooking in the play kitchen), playing with trains and cars, playing instruments and havingn dance parties, roaming the neighborhood for playmates, lonng playground visits, bike and scooter riding, going to the pool and making friends there, coloring on unauthorized things with markers

I could have written all of this about babynut. No normal days, mostly active outside, and really complex family play. I can't keep up with how many kids I have at any given moment according to her. We spend most of our time rotating through four different playgrounds near us. She is currently obsessed with the monkey bars at each playground (they are a bit different at each one) and she spends all her playground time on them to the point of terrible blisters! what the fizzle? I have to make her stop.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:05 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

When we stay home, Beetroot will go back and forth between riding his bike up and down the driveway (a neighbour gave my kids a used wee pink princess bike and helmet and Beet loves it) and playing on the computer inside while asking what he can have to eat.
Raygold prefers to stay inside and play on the computer -- he likes watching youtube videos about different Windows operating systems (?!!). Vax will usually hang out with his brothers inside, but sometimes he will climb up next to me to hold my hair. Also, if he can find a pencil that someone has accidentally left out, he will draw all over the walls. He also likes to rip paper. Any paper, so watch where you put your books and paperwork.
Also, sometimes they play board games with each other.
In the evening, they read books.
If they are inside, they come out of their room to tell me something or ask me something every 3 minutes and it drives me crazy.

Also, other than blocks and LEGO, they never play with toys. None of my kids have ever given a rat's asparagus about toys. This is pretty weird, right? They have some toys which we've been given, but I never buy them any because they don't care. (I'm not unhappy about this, mind you!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

9 year old boy on summer vacation: Wake up. Watch videos on a tablet/play video games. Eat breakfast. Go swimming or biking. Eat lunch. Go biking or swimming. Shoot his bow and arrow. Eat dinner. Play video games/watch a movie. We might see if there's something in town to do like a free concert or night swimming.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:20 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

R (5) has lost that ability to do the same thing all day, but when he was three, he did. One phase was building towers out of anything, especially kitchen stuff. He never did learn that heavy glass bowls shouldn't be on top of an all-Tupperware structure...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:16 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Lysander does loads of drawing, reading and building lego. If I allowed him to, I think he'd just watch TV or play video games all day, but I limit his screen time. He also likes to play outside. He makes up vivid stories with his lego figures and if he's playing alone he's always jabbering away to himself, often very loudly with loads of explosion noises. It drives my partner crazy but I tend to tune it out! In the holidays I try to take him out to the park or whatever for some social interaction and also just to burn some of his apparently endless energy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Butternut wrote:
Ariann wrote:
We have no normal days!

But typical activities include: very long and involved games of "family" (this means taking care of baby dolls, including her protesting sister, and cooking in the play kitchen), playing with trains and cars, playing instruments and havingn dance parties, roaming the neighborhood for playmates, lonng playground visits, bike and scooter riding, going to the pool and making friends there, coloring on unauthorized things with markers

I could have written all of this about babynut. No normal days, mostly active outside, and really complex family play. I can't keep up with how many kids I have at any given moment according to her. We spend most of our time rotating through four different playgrounds near us. She is currently obsessed with the monkey bars at each playground (they are a bit different at each one) and she spends all her playground time on them to the point of terrible blisters! what the fizzle? I have to make her stop.

These pretty much sum up my kid's daily schedule. Now that it's summer and the weather is usually really nice, we try to spend as much time outside as possible. We'll leave the house around 9:30 or 10 in the morning, head to a playground where I unleash her on the other kids, eat lunch, go to the library, another playground, or the beach, and either head home around 5 for dinner or eat dinner outside at yet another playground or beach.

My kid gave up naps at the beginning of summer right as preschool was winding down so I really was anxious about how the summer was going to pan out (what do I DO with her??), but it's actually turned out to be an awesome summer. I hope that she remembers these languid days where she spent five, six hours making new friends in the neighborhood and playing pretend games.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i love reading all these. it's so interesting to me that some kids develop a huge obsession over one thing (trucks, cars, trains, dinos, princesses, seem to be the big ones) whereas other kids have a broad range of interests

my kid is so dino-centric my mom is convinced she will be a paleontologist one day. i think it's a bit early for that prediction but it's nice she has something she loves