| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how should I handle this ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:53 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Hi all,
My son is 21 months and is vegan. I went to a free Xmas event yesterday with him and he was handed a wrapped present by Father Christmas. He instantly started ripping it open and I just spotted it was a cadburys selection pack. I whipped it off him, which caused a lot of screaming and he was upset. I felt terrible. Any ideas how to solve this ? He's not really talking so I couldn't explain it to him. Any ideas? Has any parents had this before, and what's the best way to handle this?

Post subject: Re: how should I handle this ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:11 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

My parents used to trade me toys and trinkets for candy when I was a kid, though I was a bit older than your son. Can you trade him something for the chocolate? Either vegan chocolate or a small toy? It sounds rough with a kid that young since they haven't mastered delayed gratification at that age.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:20 pm 

I think your suggestion is great for when I can reason with him. But stumped at this age.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:26 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

When I was a nanny for kids that age and something similar happened (they weren't vegan, but that didn't mean I let them eat candy all day) I would just try and distract them with something else (Oh my god a train! Look a book with Elmo on it!) but also just accept that toddlers are going to have meltdowns sometimes when they don't get what they want.

Though one of them would regularly have tantrums over 45 minutes when she didn't get sugary treats that she saw and then refuse all other foods, so maybe I'm not the expert.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, I'm a firm believer in "you can't always get what you want" and "out of sight, out of mind"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 pm 
Nooch of Earl

At that age, you probably just need to hide it when he's not looking.

And other parents are usually understanding when you let a kid cry a little bit instead of giving in to their demands. Just this morning I had to carry my 2.5 year old kicking and screaming out of the exchange because she wanted a hello kitty piggy bank. It would've been easier just to buy her the damned thing and be able to get my shopping done, probably, but I don't like to set a precedent that she always gets what she wants my screaming for it. And plenty of people have been there, and will applaud you for sticking to your guns. Honestly I would be hesitant to just give a big pack of chocolate to a kid that young even if it were vegan so I think parents would just assume you had your reasons outside of veganism.

But if I were trying to avoid conflict I'd probably let the kid hold it for a little while, play dumb when asked to open it, and wait until there were some other shiny object to hide it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:20 am 

Normally this wouldn't bother me, but it was a Christmas present to him and from Father Christmas! Not something he's picked up in a shop :/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:32 am 

I dunno, maybe say the elves messed up the gift, Father Christmas is totally mad and sending the right gift tomorrow. Then give him something better.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:33 am 

Lol I just realized this was a year old. (I was wondering why it was a christmas party in Oct!) How did it get bumped? Spam?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:44 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yeah, spam-bumped. I frequently read threads without realizing they're 1-19 years old. Still good reading material, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:14 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

If anyone else has this problem, I usually explain that the sweets are made of animal products and buy an alternative. My son is a bit older now though, and understands :)