| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: I have a new friend!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Awww..Tegan is super cute!

I saw the Jar of eyeballs! Ewww...are they squishy when you touch them?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:38 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

What a beauty! I had a collie mix, sweetest most wonderful dog in the world. I still wear his puppy teeth in a locket around my neck. Miss him so much-thank you for this video!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:58 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Sometimes we seem to be making progress, but then we backslide. It's so hard to not be disappointed whenever this happens. Especially because I caught some kind of bug and am sick right now. All I want to do is sleep and she is going through another naughty puppy phase! I had to put her out in the yard for a while because I just don't have the energy to keep up with her right now.

She starts her group obedience class this month, but for her it will be more about getting used to being in a strange place with people and dogs than it will be about learning commands, at least at first. I'm not sure how she'll do. We'll see.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

OMG! I think my dog is your dog's long lost twin. She can be an absolute nightmare and needs to be occupied for 14hours a day non stop. She's driving me nuts. I spent €28 3 weeks ago on one of those food puzzles and she had it solved in less than 30seconds and all 6 hidden treats eaten. I have a kong for her and I put some peanut butter and mashed potato smeared on the insides of it twice a day. That gives me 15mins respite from her. She gets a massive walk in the woods off leash every day and then a second walk of two miles around the town and still has energy to act like a possessed demon. The only time I can even get photos of her is when she is asleep because she moves so fast. I've often been so frustrated with her I've gone to bed at 8.30pm because as soon as I get in bed she goes asleep.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:52 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Sometimes we seem to be making progress, but then we backslide. It's so hard to not be disappointed whenever this happens. Especially because I caught some kind of bug and am sick right now. All I want to do is sleep and she is going through another naughty puppy phase! I had to put her out in the yard for a while because I just don't have the energy to keep up with her right now.

She starts her group obedience class this month, but for her it will be more about getting used to being in a strange place with people and dogs than it will be about learning commands, at least at first. I'm not sure how she'll do. We'll see.

Getting her in a group obedience class is one of the best things you can do for her, as long as the trainer knows the situation and the fact that she'll be working more on her anxiety than anything else the first few classes. The trainer may even let you repeat the class at the same level if she really only gets to work on anxiety. The number one thing to potentially sabotage you is your own anxiety and stress level, so no matter what crazy crepe she may pull or no matter how much she doesn't focus on the actual commands for the first little while, don't let it get to you.

Both your pooches are cuties :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:00 pm 
Chip Strong

Loved the video :) Obedience class will be good and give you both new things to focus on and practice at home. Keep up the good work! Are you feeling a little better about having Tegan than you did when you first got her? It will only get better every day!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:20 pm 

daisychain wrote:
OMG! I think my dog is your dog's long lost twin. She can be an absolute nightmare and needs to be occupied for 14hours a day non stop.

Yes, they sound alike! This dog also has to constantly be kept occupied when she is awake, and toys and food puzzles only keep her occupied for short periods of time. She is 10 months now, so I'm hoping that she will calm down a bit once she grows out of the adolescent phase!

erynne936 wrote:
Are you feeling a little better about having Tegan than you did when you first got her? It will only get better every day!

Right now I'd have to say "no", because she is being so naughty today! I'm just focusing on getting through the day and hoping tomorrow will be better. It's not like Sable never did anything bad, because she definitely did, but I loved her so much that it was easy to overlook things. I feel like I still haven't bonded with this dog yet at all. I'm hoping that I will bond with her over time... it seems like the older I get, the more difficult it is for me to bond with animals (or perhaps it is a consequence from working at an animal shelter for 14 years?).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:30 pm 

raspberrycomplaint wrote:

Right now I'd have to say "no", because she is being so naughty today! I'm just focusing on getting through the day and hoping tomorrow will be better. It's not like Sable never did anything bad, because she definitely did, but I loved her so much that it was easy to overlook things. I feel like I still haven't bonded with this dog yet at all. I'm hoping that I will bond with her over time... it seems like the older I get, the more difficult it is for me to bond with animals (or perhaps it is a consequence from working at an animal shelter for 14 years?).

Remember that she is still strongly entrenched in the "terrible toddler" months! It will get better!!

As to your bonding with her, it sounds like you are holding her up to Sable's standards quite a bit, and bonding with an animal when they're not stepping into the pawprints of another can be hard - that's just what I've taken away from reading the thread so do feel free to tell me if I am entirely wrong on that. Plus I think it can be hard to remember how horrible the puppy stages can be when you haven't dealt with them in a while.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I hear ya! My girl was 1 last week. She never went through that sleepy puppy phase. She arrived her at 9.30pm Christmas eve and has been going non-stop since then!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:47 pm 
Chip Strong

Yeah, the bonding will take a while, and maybe you have sort of trained yourself not to bond too quickly being at the shelter, which makes sense! I felt with my difficult dog it helped to try to think of things from his point of view, think of how new and scary things are for him and put myself in his paws? as much as possible. You will get there. You sound like a kind and patient person. Give yourself plenty of understanding and time, too!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:56 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Regarding the bonding - I think it's good that you expect to form a bond with Tegan over time (versus right away), and that you are still missing Sable a lot. I think it's also a good idea not to expect to have the same relationship with her that you did with Sable. Different doesn't have to mean better or worse, it's just different.

Better days are coming!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Vee was a real handful for years after we adopted him, and I'd bond with him only to have him lunge at me, which made it hard. But he is the best Bub now at 5 years old, even though he is still super nuerotic. He has chilled out so much over the last two years and I love him with my whole heart.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:55 pm 

Nicole wrote:
Regarding the bonding - I think it's good that you expect to form a bond with Tegan over time (versus right away)

Yes, I definitely expect it to take a long time, and I am also aware that it may never happen (not because of her, specifically, but because of my own issues). I do feel bad for her sometimes, because I don't love her, and I wonder if she's aware of that. I just hope that she's happy enough that she's living in a house now, as opposed to her former life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:47 pm 

Today is dog training orientation, for the humans only. I assume they'll talk about how the class works and what we need to bring and stuff like that. My mom is going and I am staying home with Tegan. Then next week will be the first actual training class. My mom also ordered a couple of baby gates. The way our downstairs is set up, you can walk in a circle through it, kitchen-hallway-living room-dining room-kitchen, etc. and there are no doors to any of the rooms So if we're sitting in the living room watching tv, and Tegan goes into the hallway or kitchen, we can't see her, and that's when she does mischief. When we get the gates, we will be able to confine her to the living room/dining room area with us.

She now lies down in front of her feeding area when I am getting her supper ready. I had been asking her to sit before I put her dish down, and then she decided on her own to just lie down and wait while I'm mixing the food up. She still likes the toys that have little squeaky toys hidden inside. We got her this one last weekend:
and she likes to go up on my bed with it while I am sitting o the floor with my laptop, and she takes the chipmunks out one by one and drops them on my head.

And she still loves to stick her whole nose in the "canine genius" toy! I don't know why!

She was doing this for several minutes before I started filming too. She is really really weird!

She is very interested in anything that still smells like Sable. She will put her nose to Sable's collar and just sniff and sniff. I wonder what she thinks, and if she's wondering where this dog is that she can smell but never sees?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:53 pm 
Chip Strong

lol she does not really look like a genius in that video. we have 2 adult dogs and a not very big house but we own 3 baby/dog gates that we use for various dog management. it can be so helpful to be able to gate off certain areas for various reasons. that squirrel tree toy looks awesome. my german shepherd mutt would destroy every bit of it in a day and the 2 dogs would get in insanely jealous fights over it. we don't play with dog toys here. at all. they get super jealous and territorial with eachother. :/ we all have our dog issues... !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:34 pm 

Baby gates are lifesavers!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:41 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Aaaahh, that video slayed me! <3!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:24 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Awww...wook at the sweet poopie nosing her toy!!!! She likes squeaky things!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:48 pm 

Tomorrow is her first training class! It's beginners, for dogs 6 months and up. It's a small class with only 5 or 6 other pups, and I think most if not all of them are between 6 months and 10 months (younger than Tegan). So hopefully it won't be too scary and she'll be okay. I got her a calming pheromone collar today and I'm hoping that might help a little with her anxiety. I'll be bringing diced tofu pups, because those are the most exciting treat I have found for her. She has gotten a little better about eating treats away from home. She's been to the shelter a few times to run in the paddock there, and the last time we were there she was able to listen and do some commands. So hopefully once she settles into the training class, it will be the same. I will let you know tomorrow night how it went!

My mom just got a new camera today, so I'm sure there will be many more pictures of Tegan. I introduced her to my bunny, Karma, and Tegan loves her. She does play bows and bounces up and down and tries to get Karma to play. It's ridiculous. Karma is almost 10 years old and blind, and she has no interest in playing!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yay! More Tegan pictures and stories forthcoming!!! <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 pm 

So tonight was class #1. The worst part was getting to class. It's in a building on a very busy road. My mom parked as close to the door as possible, but right after I got Tegan out of the car, a city bus went by, loudly. Total freakout. My mom and I both had to hold onto her for dear life as she panicked and struggled, which definitely isn't ideal, but the alternative was her bolting into traffic. We got her to the door but it was locked! My mom was banging on the door, shouting "Please hurry up and let us in!!" It was such a relief when someone finally opened the door and we got inside!

There were 4 other dogs in class. A cane corso, a german shepherd, a french bulldog, and a lab mix. There was supposed top be another, but that family showed up over 20 minutes late and the dog was aggressively lunging at all the other dogs and upsetting the class. The trainer asked them to leave and come back for private lessons instead. I was glad she made them leave, because it would have been very disruptive and frightening to the other dogs to have that dog in class.

Tegan was very stressed, especially at first. After a little while, she would do the things we had practiced a lot at home (sit and down). At one point the trainer had people get up one by one and work a little on recall, running backwards with the dog (on leash) and clicking the dog for running towards you. My mom took Tegan. I was sitting in a chair on the side of the room. On the first try, Tegan ran right after my mom, but the second time, she swerved right past her and leapt into my lap! Everyone thought that was funny. The trainer had put us in the farthest corner of the room, and when Tegan got too overwhelmed, she would lie down in the corner. Her tail was tucked way up underneath her until the very end of class, when she seemed to relax a little. Getting back out to the car again was tough, but she followed the german shepherd puppy out the door, and then we were able to run to the car and she jumped in.

The trainer said she'll give us special homework for Tegan's fear issues. The fear of traffic is the number one problem right now. She's better about not grabbing everything in the house, and she's doing okay with housebreaking, but the sheer panic at being outside is really really tough. The only time I've seen panic this bad is in dogs that were living outside and were half feral. She's definitely not feral! Just inexplicably agoraphobic. Maybe I should read Dr. Claire Weeke's books to her?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Awww...poor, sweet dear. I'm prone to agoraphobia and it's really scary when a panic attack is set off when you're feeling vulnerable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:57 pm 

Today, we introduced Tegan to Sable's llama friend.

The llama came over to say hello.

Tegan's tail was wagging so hard.

Llama kisses!

And now they are friends.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:01 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Yay!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:05 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Awww, Tegan! So pretty!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next