| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitty Herpes/Colds
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:01 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

One of the cats I live with, Zubie, (my roommate's kitty, but I love love love her) has been having issues with what seems to be a kitty cold. We took her to the vet yesterday, and the vet said she was quite sure it is feline herpes. I guess she will always be infected, and in times of change/stress she can have flare ups that include lots of mucous in the nose. sneezing, and inflammation of the eyes. She probably became infected when she was a kitten.

The vet prescribed an antibiotic, which will not help the virus at all, but I guess can somehow clear up the nasal congestion. Also an eye cream for her currently very inflamed right eye. And we will start giving her lysine to stop the virus from reproducing any more.

I am just worried. Tonight I woke up around 2, and I could not sleep. Which is pretty much unheard of for me. I felt the need to find Zubie. I found her sitting on the couch looking worse than ever. She was wheezing intensely, and her eye was very squinty and mucousy. I wiped the mucous from her eyes, gave her some of the eye cream, and gave her a wet food. (She has not wanted to eat her usual dry food because the congestion is preventing her from smelling it.)

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm kind of wondering if there's something I can do for her congestion. Cleaning the mucous from her eyes actually seemed to ease her wheezing a bit, but she still sounds pretty bad. She just climbed in my lap.

Post subject: Re: Kitty Herpes/Colds
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:57 am 
Nailed to the V

I would try a humidifier, that seems to help with one of my cats who develops a wheezing cough and the stuffles every fall/winter. Other than that, make sure she's getting lots of fresh water and eating well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:18 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My cat had this same problem when I brought him home from the humane society last winter - within 2 weeks of bringing him home he had the same symptoms you described. The vet gave me an ointment to put in his eyes and lysine to sprinkle on his food. I used the eye stuff until the entire thing was gone since in the time the vet recommended to use it he was not better, but it did clear up. He used to seem like he was coughing and sneezing at the same time, and wheezing, and it was super unnerving, but he did get better and has been 100% ever since. I basically just made sure he always had fresh water, gave him more treats than usual (to ensure he was eating something), cuddled him lots, and kept him in the bathroom with me when I showered (the hot humidity seemed to help).
Sorry if this isn't much help, but there isn't too much you can do but keep him comfortable as you have already brought him to the vet. The 'cold' part of it will clear up in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

Pong also came home from the shelter with these symptoms. For the first few months at home he was in pretty awful shape and whenever he gets stressed it acts up. I think a humidifier is a great idea if you have a closed off room she doesn't mind hanging out in. If she will tolerate it I would also use a warm compress to clean up her eyes and nose. When Pong is really stuffed up he likes have his soft food nuked a bit to make it stronger smelling and I thin it out with some hot water so it is a bit soupy. If he is really not interested in eating I offer him his favorite bribe foods (chicken and chicken stock, mostly). Other than that we have just made sure he has a warm spot to snuggle up and wait it out. Over the years he has had very few flares and they are significantly less severe than when he first came to live with us.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

the humidifier with definitely help, and huffyhedgehog's suggestion on the warm compresses for her eyes and cleaning up her nose. i used to work at the spca as a medical technician and i took so many kittehs home for fostercare that had herpes. we also used goldenseal. there was a lady that one of the vets knew who would make a saline mixture (i am sure you could find the ratios online) with goldenseal and we would use a dropper to put this in their eyes. it reallllllllly helped out. she should be fine though - it just takes time and keep her purring (if she can/will - i know she's probably pretty sadfaced right now so it might be tough). purring actually helps to boost kitteh's immune systems. :)

http://books.google.com/books?id=gWHMki ... &q&f=false

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My kitty Marta has had chronic herpes since I got her from a rescue group (clueless rescue woman told me it was just conjunctivitis and would clear up in a week). She has one eye that is always a bit watery and sometimes she'll have sneezing fits and have a bit of a snotty nose, but for the most part she doesn't seem bothered by it. I mix powdered lysine into her food and that seems to keep it from flaring up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:58 pm 
Bends forks with mind powers

Awww. :( My cat Wesley developed a cold within a few days of coming home from the shelter, too. His eye was glued shut and he was sneezing blood. The vet said he has feline herpes- I remember using eye ointment and possibly something else, but I'd have to look back at his vet records to be sure. He hasn't had another flare-up in the 3 years he's lived with me, even through multiple moves to new homes. However, he has had several stress-induced UTIs that I think are unrelated to the herpes. I hope Zubie feels better soon!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've adopted two kittens in the past six months and both have gotten terrible colds. I know how awful it is when they're sick and you feel so helpless and worried, but as long as they're eating and drinking, they'll be fine. Just think how miserable we feel when we have a cold but we're not in any actual danger!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:49 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thanks folks! I will definitely try the warm compress. She seems to be doing better this afternoon . . . still wheezing, but there's less mucous happenin'. Happyfaced-- that's so cute that purring boosts their immune system! She's been purring quite a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'm glad she's doing better. the wheezing might last for a while, but just as long as it doesn't get worse she'll be a-okay. i remember when one of our vets at the spca told us about the purring, my coworker and i made it our mission to make all the kitties in the hospital ward as happy as they could be and this included lots 'n lots of one-on-one pets & lovins' time with each kitteh several times a day to get them purring and feeling better. i really think it helped! that's great that your kitteh is purring a bunch - such a good sign! she's such a trooper! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:33 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Aw! Could putting her in the bathroom while a warm shower runs help? The compress will probably help too. She's a cutie!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:58 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Zubie is doing a lot better, but now another kitty, Frank is sick! Sigh. Earlier I decided to take a long, warm, shower, and put both of them in there (the bathroom, not the shower!) with me. It definitely seemed to help Frank's congestion . . . it got the mucous running rather than packed in his sinuses. I think he felt better afterward, because he walked around the house (he had been sleeping all day) and ate some food. Thanks all, for the advice! :)