| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dog aggression
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Help!
I have a new foster dog. She is around three, some sort of collie cross and she belongs to a 69 year old woman who is currently staying in the women's shelter until alternative arrangements can be made. She has been very fearful since I brought her home last week but her behavior gets worse every day! She barks, cries and whines constantly especially at the two other dogs. She absolutely loses it when anyone comes to the door or in the house and growls constantly. Now she has started to do the same on walks. She lunges, snaps and growls at everyone we meet while walking. There is no trigger that I can figure on the walks. She loves them and would stay out all day if she could! She is really affectionate to my roommates and I. She absolutely hates everyone and everything else!
She is not displaying any other fearful behavior no hiding, tail between the legs etc.
When I talked to her Mom she said that the aggressive behavior is not new.
I have 3 more weeks with her, is there anything I can do to help?

Post subject: Re: dog aggression
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:45 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Yikes! I don't think there's a lot you can do, behavior-wise, in three weeks, but you can prevent something bad from happening by taking her on walks during slower hours, keeping her sequestered in another area when new people come over the house, and picking up a Gentle Leader head harness, which will give you more control if she tries to lunge at someone. I'd also say, avoid walking near folks. If you're walking and you see someone approaching, duck down a side road with her, or pull her off to the side and have her sit for a cookie until the person passes.

Maybe the more she's getting to know you, the more protective she's getting?

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:07 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

OMG! My dog is the same way (except I think my dog's problem is more fear-based). Still, the same exact behavior. We have to muzzle her when she goes to the vet, though she's getting more used to it than before. And our neighbor now has little dogs that run the fence with my dog. She loves it, and it's made her more familiar with other dogs, though I wouldn't put them together in the same yard.
Actually, she bolted out the front door once last fall, following my husband who had just gone outside. There was a lady walking her 4 little dogs, and Enu (my dog) ran up to them and like put her jaw around the back of one of them (you know, to taste!). She didn't bite or anything, but the lady freaked out. I ran out the door after her, and all she did was run to the backdoor and sit down, waiting to go inside. It was bizarre.

All I can say is that you should head it off NOW while the dog is young. Professional training classes might help. My husband and I can't go on a vacation until she passes away, pretty much...we're still looking into a boarder that doesn't have much direct interaction with the dogs, but it's difficult! Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:11 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Sounds like my cat. Mostly we tell people to leave her alone but that's not always an option with dogs. I agree with SuprgrrlJes training might help. Situations like this can take a lot of time before it gets better.